Texans releasing Ed Reed

Matt39

Let him coach our young safeties so maybe we don't have to put some of our cap next offseason towards a SS(NO WAY IN HELL Landry stay's)

Antonio Allen is a keeper and I really want to see him progress at the FS position. Reed can part time play/coach. if it's on the cheap. It works out for everyone... Reed know's Rex's D, can mentor and play. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New York Jets: Ed Reed Addition Would be No Brainer
November 12, 2013 2:56 pm EST by Greg Sulik
edreed1.jpg

Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Texans have made the somewhat surprising decision to release former All-Pro safety Ed Reed today following his critical comments directed at the Texans coaching staff. Reed had been removed from the starting lineup after signing with the team in free agency this summer, and he had not made any impact with the Texans.

Reed is certainly not the player he once was, but he still has some value in the right defense. Luckily for the New York JetsRex Ryan knows exactly what that defense is. The Jets should be on the phone with Reed’s agent right now, because this signing simply makes too much sense not to happen.

If there is one weak link in the Jets’ defense, it is the lack of a ball hawking safety that can improve the pass defense. Reed and his 61 career interceptions would seem to fit that bill perfectly, and he is very familiar with Ryan’s defense, with the two having worked together with the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-2008. Ryan will be able to maximize Reed’s value at this late stage of his career, and it seems to be a perfect fit for both team and player.

The Jets’ pass defense has struggled at times this season, and although Antonio Allen has been solid at free safety, Reed would be a clear upgrade. Reed’s ability to patrol centerfield and cover tight ends is something that the Jets are lacking, and his addition would solidify the Jets’ already very good defense.

Reed should not require more than a one year dealicon1.png, and such an addition could be just the boost the Jets need to get into the playoffs. Reed will likely enjoy the idea of joining a playoff contender, and adding Reed would make the statement that the Jets are serious about contending this year. This deal is a perfect scenario for the Jets, and John Idzik needs to go out and get it done.

Greg Sulik is a New York Jets writer for Rant Sportsicon1.png. Follow him on Twitter @GregSulik or add him to your network on Google

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/11/12/new-york-jets-ed-reed-addition-would-be-no-brainer/?vpBYzqFQskcU3xj0.99

New York Jets: Ed Reed Addition Would be No Brainer

November 12, 2013 2:56 pm EST by Greg Sulik
edreed1.jpg

Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Texans have made the somewhat surprising decision to release former All-Pro safety Ed Reed today following his critical comments directed at the Texans coaching staff. Reed had been removed from the starting lineup after signing with the team in free agency this summer, and he had not made any impact with the Texans.

Reed is certainly not the player he once was, but he still has some value in the right defense. Luckily for the New York JetsRex Ryan knows exactly what that defense is. The Jets should be on the phone with Reed’s agent right now, because this signing simply makes too much sense not to happen.

If there is one weak link in the Jets’ defense, it is the lack of a ball hawking safety that can improve the pass defense. Reed and his 61 career interceptions would seem to fit that bill perfectly, and he is very familiar with Ryan’s defense, with the two having worked together with the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-2008. Ryan will be able to maximize Reed’s value at this late stage of his career, and it seems to be a perfect fit for both team and player.

The Jets’ pass defense has struggled at times this season, and although Antonio Allen has been solid at free safety, Reed would be a clear upgrade. Reed’s ability to patrol centerfield and cover tight ends is something that the Jets are lacking, and his addition would solidify the Jets’ already very good defense.

Reed should not require more than a one year dealicon1.png, and such an addition could be just the boost the Jets need to get into the playoffs. Reed will likely enjoy the idea of joining a playoff contender, and adding Reed would make the statement that the Jets are serious about contending this year. This deal is a perfect scenario for the Jets, and John Idzik needs to go out and get it done.

Greg Sulik is a New York Jets writer for Rant Sportsicon1.png. Follow him on Twitter @GregSulik or add him to your network on Google

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/11/12/new-york-jets-ed-reed-addition-would-be-no-brainer/?vpBYzqFQskcU3xj0.99

Damn dirty Ape. 

I haven't seen him play all season, any chance we could add him to our safety rotation? Especially now that their are re-aligned expectations for this, the 6th seed, New York Jets team????

I have never got too into the sign this beast thing this year realizing full well it's a re-building year.  That being said..... SIGN THIS BEAST.  Gotta be kidding me. NOW

I have never got too into the sign this beast thing this year realizing full well it's a re-building year.  That being said..... SIGN THIS BEAST.  Gotta be kidding me. NOW

This certainly started out as a rebuilding year.  It isn't anymore.  If Smith can stop throwing picks, and the secondary steps up a bit..... Well as the old saying goes, Once your in the playoffs, anything can happen.

What's the risk in giving Reed a contract for the rest of the year?  Think Rex can get out of him what ever he's got left.

SIGN THIS BEAST

This certainly started out as a rebuilding year.  It isn't anymore.  If Smith can stop throwing picks, and the secondary steps up a bit..... Well as the old saying goes, Once your in the playoffs, anything can happen.

What's the risk in giving Reed a contract for the rest of the year?  Think Rex can get out of him what ever he's got left.

SIGN THIS BEAST

If nothing else give him the year and he can either transition to a coach or has another year left. COME ON MAN!!!!

If Reed can do for us at the safety position what Kellen Winslow has done for the tight end position, then there's absolutely no question you give him a 1-year deal and hope for the best.

Exactly. Dude is a proven winner and one of the GOAT at his position. Even if he is limited on the field, any knowledge that our young safeties can absorb from him is highly valuable.

Let him coach our young safeties so maybe we don't have to put some of our cap next offseason towards a SS(NO WAY IN HELL Landry stay's)

Antonio Allen is a keeper and I really want to see him progress at the FS position. Reed can part time play/coach. if it's on the cheap. It works out for everyone... Reed know's Rex's D, can mentor and play. 

I don't think Allen is a true FS, but rather an in-the-box SS type.  IMO FS types are ball hawks with speed and hitting ability.

I think that means that since his soph. year of college, he has started every game when he was healthy.  He missed starting and playing several games in 2005, 2009 & 2010.  Now he is healthy and not starting for the first time, and it doesn't sit well with him.

lol yeah you're right I totally missed that

He's probably done. I don't buy this add him so he can learn the other safeties, but that's exactly what they did by bringing Garrard back, so who knows?

Hypothetically speaking.. you don't think there's anything he could share with Jarrett and Allen and Landry that could POSSIBLY help them out? I find that hard to believe.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Ed Reed goes on waivers. A team claiming him would owe him $412,000 plus $62,500 for each game he's active, via http://ESPNBoston.com .

What about the years moving forward? I think he had 2 more on his contract after that.

If it's only a one-year deal and we have the cap room (which we do), I don't get how we can't bring him in.

What was I thinking?  Sign this beast and ride him like a two-bit (w)hor(s)e.   :winking0001:

Idzik isnt in the re-tread market so forget this.

BTW, I'd bet most of the people who like signing guys like Reed, Ronnie Lott, LT etc have gone to their 25th HS reunion fully expecting that smokin hot brunette they drooled over in chemistry class to still be a 10 only to be disappointed when she showed up looking like Rosie O'Donnell.

Hell Yeah!!!!!  OSMOSIS MUTTER****ER

I thought his name was Osmosis Jones?

I don't think Allen is a true FS, but rather an in-the-box SS type.  IMO FS types are ball hawks with speed and hitting ability.

I agree, but I'm not sure Rex wants a true FS type as much as we all do.  The closest we have come was Rhodes and he was a slug that we summarily dumped.

What about the years moving forward? I think he had 2 more on his contract after that.

If it's only a one-year deal and we have the cap room (which we do), I don't get how we can't bring him in.

Those 2 years are irrelevant.  If anybody picks him up off waivers he'd have play pretty damn good to see any of the backend of that deal. 

Idzik isnt in the re-tread market so forget this.

BTW, I'd bet most of the people who like signing guys like Reed, Ronnie Lott, LT etc have gone to their 25th HS reunion fully expecting that smokin hot brunette they drooled over in chemistry class to still be a 10 only to be disappointed when she showed up looking like Rosie O'Donnell.

My high school girlfriend was Rosie O'Donnell.

Those 2 years are irrelevant.  If anybody picks him up off waivers he'd have play pretty damn good to see any of the backend of that deal.

If that's true he won't clear waivers, and won't make it to the Jets, both Balt, and Miami have WW priority on the Jets if I'm not mistaken.

If that's true he won't clear waivers, and won't make it to the Jets, both Balt, and Miami have WW priority on the Jets if I'm not mistaken.

How could they have waiver wire priority?  Both finished with better records and the Ravens won the SB for Pete's sake.  They are dead last in terms of priority.

How could they have waiver wire priority?  Both finished with better records and the Ravens won the SB for Pete's sake.  They are dead last in terms of priority.

Priority is based on the current standings not last years, that resets after week 2, 20 teams have rights to claim him before the Jets including both Baltimore, and Miami.

Priority is based on the current standings not last years, that resets after week 2, 20 teams have rights to claim him before the Jets including both Baltimore, and Miami.

My bad.  I thought it was based on last year's record.  Thanks for the correction.

Archived