Texans releasing Ed Reed

Matt39

No it isn't.

The real question is - if the Jets sign Reed, how quickly will you jump all over spinning it that way since you obviously don't agree with adding Reed?

monkey what????  How did you get I dont want reed and what is "jumping all over spinning"?  Please provide some sort of visual aid :sign0182:

I don't get it, can you elaborate?

Sorry, I tried to embed the youtube clip of him trying to lead his team to a 2nd half comeback against the noles.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was thinking. I'm quite surprised actually that they didn't put in a claim. I'm not an expert with comp picks, but would claiming him have caused us to lose a comp pick?

Unless there's some weirdo rule in there, no.  Compensatory picks are only for lost or gained UFAs by contract expiration, not by getting cut.  

Funny thing is Houston WILL lose a compensatory pick they otherwise might have gotten by signing Reed this past offseason.

Watch us sign him for more than he would have cost on waivers.

You could be right.  It really was a modest # to claim him.  Roughly 121,000 a game.  If they do sign him, would like it, but doubt it will happen, they'll probably offer him vets min for the remaining games

The Houston Texans admitted a $5 million mistake Tuesday. They cut veteran safety Ed Reed, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not announced the move.

Reed, 35, signed a three-year, $14.875 million contract with the Texans in March after 11 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens in hopes of chasing another Super Bowl.

THE Q: Reed questions Texans' coaching

But the Texans have struggled during an injury-marred season, and Reed was reduced to a reserve role, posting no interceptions in seven games (five starts) this season

Reed went public with his displeasure after Sunday's loss to the Arizona Cardinals, saying the Texans were "outplayed and outcoached" while dropping to 2-7.

Those comments weren't well-received at Texans headquarters, and cutting Reed — whose contract included $5 million guaranteed — frees up reps for younger players.

He is subject to waivers, as all players are after the trading deadline, and could draw interest given his modest $1 million base salary, plus $62,500 roster bonuses for each week he's active.

Follow Tom Pelissero on Twitter

@TomPelissero

monkey what????  How did you get I dont want reed and what is "jumping all over spinning"?  Please provide some sort of visual aid :sign0182:

Sorry, I tried to embed the youtube clip of him trying to lead his team to a 2nd half comeback against the noles.

You inferred it. 

butt-face-kid.jpg

last time I saw Reed he wasnt even dressed out on game day.  I think that was 2 weeks ago?  Dont know if his release has more to do with him finally being healthy enough to release(cant release and injured player?) or not getting along with the coaches.  He wont have that problem here.  Sign him on the cheep or pass imo.

Rex brought Jim Leonard here because he knew the system.  To think that he wouldnt bring in Ed Reed is laughable.  Does Idzik bend to Rex's wish is what the real question is.

No it isn't.

The real question is - if the Jets sign Reed, how quickly will you jump all over spinning it that way since you obviously don't agree with adding Reed?

monkey fail....

FGadisappointedmonkey.gif

monkey fail....

FGadisappointedmonkey.gif

You were hedging. Which is why I posed the question, if Reed signs with us, were you suddenly going to spin it as Idzik bending to Rex's whim. These two things are not mutually exclusive. You could be in support of a Reed signing, which still pushing a "Idzik is Rex's bitch" narrative.

I don't fail. 

Ed Reed was unclaimed on waivers and is now a free agent.

Shocked, only reason for this IMO is because teams probably want to give him a full medical physical before even committing a penny on him, if every team was allowed to do so before he cleared waivers, and he checked out OK physically there is no way he goes unclaimed at that price tag to a needy contender like the Cowboys, or Patriots.

Watch us sign him for more than he would have cost on waivers.

That's what I was thinking. I'm quite surprised actually that they didn't put in a claim. I'm not an expert with comp picks, but would claiming him have caused us to lose a comp pick?

If I had to guess it is a medical clearance issue, and making sure Reed wants to play for the claiming team. Teams probably want to be able to do a full medical physical before spending a penny on him, and wasting a roster spot on him even if its for only 1 day if he isn't medically cleared after claiming him.

You were hedging. Which is why I posed the question, if Reed signs with us, were you suddenly going to spin it as Idzik bending to Rex's whim. These two things are not mutually exclusive. You could be in support of a Reed signing, which still pushing a "Idzik is Rex's bitch" narrative.

I don't fail.

The douche Cimini is claiming on Twitter that he felt like Rex wanted the Jets to claim him, and Idzik said NO! After today's presser with Rex, and how he answered the questions targeted at the Ed Reed situation.

Shocked, only reason for this IMO is because teams probably want to give him a full medical physical before even committing a penny on him, if every team was allowed to do so before he cleared waivers, and he checked out OK physically there is no way he goes unclaimed at that price tag to a needy contender like the Cowboys, or Patriots.

Good point, didn't think of the injury factor. I think it would have been worth it at that price to take a gamble on the injury and get him for the tutoring/player coach ability. Kind of like Garrard who most likely never sees the field.

Jason LaConfora over at Cbssports.com, and on twitter is saying the Jets, and Patriots are actively recruiting Ed Reed http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24228202/jets-patriots-show-interest-in-ed-reed-after-safety-clears-waivers

Evidence of the Jets recruitment is coming in from Kellen Winslow Jr. via Cimini's twitter feed

@RichCimini: Talked to K. Winslow re: Ed Reed, his former college teammate: "He's going to land somewhere and wreak havoc. I'd love to have him here."

@RichCimini: Winslow also said of Reed, "I wouldn't be surprised if us or the Patriots pick him up. The Patriots love smart guys." #Jets

Jason LaConfora over at Cbssports.com, and on twitter is saying the Jets, and Patriots are actively recruiting Ed Reed http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24228202/jets-patriots-show-interest-in-ed-reed-after-safety-clears-waivers

Evidence of the Jets recruitment is coming in from Kellen Winslow Jr. via Cimini's twitter feed

@RichCimini: Talked to K. Winslow re: Ed Reed, his former college teammate: "He's going to land somewhere and wreak havoc. I'd love to have him here."

@RichCimini: Winslow also said of Reed, "I wouldn't be surprised if us or the Patriots pick him up. The Patriots love smart guys." #Jets

Remember when Kellen Winslow "recruited" Braylon?

The douche Cimini is claiming on Twitter that he felt like Rex wanted the Jets to claim him, and Idzik said NO! After today's presser with Rex, and how he answered the questions targeted at the Ed Reed situation.

Could be that Rex has learned from his Bart Scott experience--you don't bring in your buddies if they can't play anymore.

Could be that Rex has learned from his Bart Scott experience--you don't bring in your buddies if they can't play anymore.

Bart gave us two good years. It was the last two that were the problem. Reed on a one yr. vet minimum is fine by me.

A general question on this as I'm not a cap expert. If they had claimed him, the 850K  cap hit would be on 2013 only right? As I understand it, they have 2.2 mil unspent on this years cap, and this would leave them with about 1.3. My other assumptions (again not an expert, so correct me if needed) is that if you don't spend it you lose it (no carry over) and the only way to hit the 2013 cap now is to sign/claim another player not on the roster/PS.

If those assumptions are correct, and assuming Rex really does want Reed, why not claim him? I understand the injury concerns, but it's not like they haven't gambled already on more than a few players in that regard. So unless they are banking on someone else of value being cut that would cost more then 1.3 million, why not go for it? Maybe it's just me, but if the caps available I spend it if there's any way it will improve my chances of making the playoffs, especially with that god awful secondary.

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are "indeed" showing interest in free agent FS Ed Reed.
The connection is obvious because Reed played under Rex Ryan for so many years in Baltimore, when Rex was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. The two are known to have a mutual admiration. Rumors earlier in the day had Jets GM John Idzik averse to a Rex-Reed reunion, but perhaps Idzik has softened his stance. FS Dawan Landry has played well this year, but is best suited to play strong safety and SS Antonio Allen has struggled, particularly in coverage. Signing Reed to play center field could allow the Jets to kick Landry back to his natural strong safety position.
Related: Jets
Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter Nov 13 - 9:01 PM

If his hip, knee and shoulder check out, he's not the worse you could do for the vet min.  Sign him, allow him to heal and get him for the playoff push.  If he doesn't clear the medical then it's an obvious pass, but if he clears, even an aged healthy Reed would give the backend of our defense a bit of a boost.

A general question on this as I'm not a cap expert. If they had claimed him, the 850K cap hit would be on 2013 only right? As I understand it, they have 2.2 mil unspent on this years cap, and this would leave them with about 1.3. My other assumptions (again not an expert, so correct me if needed) is that if you don't spend it you lose it (no carry over) and the only way to hit the 2013 cap now is to sign/claim another player not on the roster/PS.

If those assumptions are correct, and assuming Rex really does want Reed, why not claim him? I understand the injury concerns, but it's not like they haven't gambled already on more than a few players in that regard. So unless they are banking on someone else of value being cut that would cost more then 1.3 million, why not go for it? Maybe it's just me, but if the caps available I spend it if there's any way it will improve my chances of making the playoffs, especially with that god awful secondary.

I believe you can carry over from one year to the next.

A general question on this as I'm not a cap expert. If they had claimed him, the 850K  cap hit would be on 2013 only right? As I understand it, they have 2.2 mil unspent on this years cap, and this would leave them with about 1.3. My other assumptions (again not an expert, so correct me if needed) is that if you don't spend it you lose it (no carry over) and the only way to hit the 2013 cap now is to sign/claim another player not on the roster/PS.

If those assumptions are correct, and assuming Rex really does want Reed, why not claim him? I understand the injury concerns, but it's not like they haven't gambled already on more than a few players in that regard. So unless they are banking on someone else of value being cut that would cost more then 1.3 million, why not go for it? Maybe it's just me, but if the caps available I spend it if there's any way it will improve my chances of making the playoffs, especially with that god awful secondary.

The only reason to have claimed Reed was if the Jets wanted to gain his rights immediately rather than a team behind them in the waiver order claiming him.  Kind of like playing chicken hoping he’ll clear waivers and signing him later if they could as he is now an unrestricted free agent who can sign anywhere.

As far as the money ‘if’ the Jets had claimed Reed, they would assume his old Texan’s contract.  Under that contract for 2013 the Jets would now owe Reed $412,000 in guaranteed salary for the reminder of the year, so even if they cut him that money would be on their books. 

Reed had a per-game roster bonus of $62,500 which he gets each game he is active for on the 46-man roster.  If he had been claimed the maximum roster bonus would be $437,500 (seven game bonuses) but this only counts for games he is active for so if he were cut say after two games on the active roster he’d count $537,000 ($412,000 + $62,500 + $62,500) on the Jets 2013 books.  The maximum would have been an $849,500 2013 cap charge if he playied all seven games ($412,000 - Salary + $437,500 - 7 Roster Bonus).

The thing is if Reed were signed he would knock someone, and their salary, off the roster so the maximum cap space loss would have been about $680,000 then if the roster remained as is.  Any extra cap space is carried over or credited to the 2014 cap but if Reed were picked up on waivers the cap space would go from $2.2 million to about $1.5 million. 

If the Jets sign him now that he has cleared waivers they can sign him to a “Veterans Minimum” deal.  If he were signed next week to this deal he’d cost about $330,000 (six weeks pay at $940,000) in cash but a cap charge of about $200,000 (six weeks pay $555,000).  So the player he replaces on the roster now means that the 2013 cap charge for signing Reed is almost nothing then if the team remained the same.  This is the benefit of a Vet. Min. deal the cap charge is six weeks pay of a second year player so Reed gets his 10+ years pay but it cost the Jets a cap charge as if they signed a player with 2 seasons of experience.  Reed could be released without any future obligations under this deal as well.

Hope this helps.

The only reason to have claimed Reed was if the Jets wanted to gain his rights immediately rather than a team behind them in the waiver order claiming him.  Kind of like playing chicken hoping he’ll clear waivers and signing him later if they could as he is now an unrestricted free agent who can sign anywhere.

As far as the money ‘if’ the Jets had claimed Reed, they would assume his old Texan’s contract.  Under that contract for 2013 the Jets would now owe Reed $412,000 in guaranteed salary for the reminder of the year, so even if they cut him that money would be on their books. 

Reed had a per-game roster bonus of $62,500 which he gets each game he is active for on the 46-man roster.  If he had been claimed the maximum roster bonus would be $437,500 (seven game bonuses) but this only counts for games he is active for so if he were cut say after two games on the active roster he’d count $537,000 ($412,000 + $62,500 + $62,500) on the Jets 2013 books.  The maximum would have been an $849,500 2013 cap charge if he playied all seven games ($412,000 - Salary + $437,500 - 7 Roster Bonus).

The thing is if Reed were signed he would knock someone, and their salary, off the roster so the maximum cap space loss would have been about $680,000 then if the roster remained as is.  Any extra cap space is carried over or credited to the 2014 cap but if Reed were picked up on waivers the cap space would go from $2.2 million to about $1.5 million. 

If the Jets sign him now that he has cleared waivers they can sign him to a “Veterans Minimum” deal.  If he were signed next week to this deal he’d cost about $330,000 (six weeks pay at $940,000) in cash but a cap charge of about $200,000 (six weeks pay $555,000).  So the player he replaces on the roster now means that the 2013 cap charge for signing Reed is almost nothing then if the team remained the same.  This is the benefit of a Vet. Min. deal the cap charge is six weeks pay of a second year player so Reed gets his 10+ years pay but it cost the Jets a cap charge as if they signed a player with 2 seasons of experience.  Reed could be released without any future obligations under this deal as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification/explanation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that does clear a lot up. I wasn't sure about the carry over, and didn't think about the off set of the released player.

The thing about not claiming him though is that it could potentially create a bidding war. I could see any of the contending teams "renting" him if his injury checks out OK. I can certainly see Belidick bringing him in for a look just to stick it to the Jets and drive the price up.

The Patriots will go after him just to keep him off our roster. Belli never hesitates to put the screws to us. Also, Steve Gregory got hurt last week didn't he? LOL

Belichick has always admired Ed Reeds play.

Gregory broke his thumb, so Its not clear if he will be out or not. He could still play with a club hand I suppose.

I don't fail. 

reread what I posted and you will see you do indeed fail.  I said if it were up to Rex, he would be a Jet.  Everything Idzik has done this year is to clear cap and get younger.  Picking up a 35 yo contract for another 2 years would not be an Idzik move.  It would also take away from the younger guys developing at safety.  I didnt hedge anything or do a jump spin move or any other of the wild things going on in your imagination.

64135.gif

reread what I posted and you will see you do indeed fail.  I said if it were up to Rex, he would be a Jet.  Everything Idzik has done this year is to clear cap and get younger.  Picking up a 35 yo contract for another 2 years would not be an Idzik move.  It would also take away from the younger guys developing at safety.  I didnt hedge anything or do a jump spin move or any other of the wild things going on in your imagination.

64135.gif

You are lucky she's hot.

Quote: Ed Reed on Rex Ryan

November 14th, 2013 9:20 am

“Like a dad, like a brother, man … We wanted Rex as the head coach in Baltimore. We did not want him to leave. It hurt when he left. We knew he was a great coach. There was a reason why that defense was the way it was. I would play anywhere with Rex — in a dark alley, on the street, in high school football, sandlot, anywhere — because he makes it fun. He loves this game. He truly loves this game and there’s a reason why those guys in New York back him the way they do.”

- Ed Reed on Rex Ryan, back in 2011. (Source: Baltimore Sun)

Archived