Texans releasing Ed Reed

Matt39

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
791ddd788bd57ed8a32e18cf3b6ae253_normal.
Rex said Ed Reed still moves well and #Jets HC expects the safety's transition to be very smooth
26m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

a297b55b3a458866137f9c300c7eb61f_normal.
Rex says Reed still moves well, and u factor in knowledge of system, etc. He wanted to see how he was moving, and he looked good to him.
26m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

0f0fb36c3f0e930dadf2a9ff65f253ba_normal.
Ryan said Reed's knowledge of the Jets system was a big factor. #Jets #NFL
26m
Beat Writer / Columnist

headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg
Rex Ryan on Ed Reed: "I would say it's a false statement that he can't play anymore." #nyj
22m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

Rex re: Reed: : "It's a false statement that the guy can't play anymore." #Jets
22m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

To those of you thinking Ed Reed can't play anymore, Rex Ryan says: "That's a false statement." #jets
22m
Beat Writer / Columnist

Reed: "I don't plan on rocking the boat. They already had a good thing going." If he starts, fine. Says of course he'd like to. #Jets
5m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ed Reed said he heard from two teams after his release from the #Texans. Also received a text from a friend on another team #jets
6m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ed Reed joked that he's heard a lot about the NY media and he doesn't want to disappoint the fans #jets
7m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

Reed: "I'm glad to be a Jet. I'm glad to be in green and white." #Jets
8m
Beat Writer / Columnist
  •  
  •  
  •  

"My goal is to give all I have." -- new #Jets safety Ed Reed
8m
Beat Writer / Columnist

The Jets have already improbably  beaten two of the top contenders for the Super Bowl.  They should have swept the Pats, except Smith had a 4th quarter melt down.     The odds are considerably longer of you getting laid by a young attractive  woman then   the Jets winning the SB

I guess we watch football games for different reasons.  i always want the Jets to win, and add players that will improve the team even slightly.  Your concerned that if the Jets add a player that might change their record from 7-9 to 9-7 and get them into the play offs NOW, and give them a slight chance at winning a Super Bowl, this year, because they might miss out on that super HOF player that for sure will be taken 3 spots in front of them in April, and cause them to miss out on the guaranteed 2016 Super Bowl.

Sorry, that logic just doesn't  make any sense to me.

It's all a moot point, Reed is a Jet

Perhaps we do.  I want the Jets to win a SB...nothing else really matters to me.  Slight improvements, in all likelihood, won't lead to a SB victory.  I don't care about just being competitive.  They play the game to win the SB, not to just try to squeak into the playoffs and hope they get lucky/hot.

I find it hard to believe that any fan would rather squeak into the playoffs and hope they get lucky/hot and win rather than have a much greater chance/likelihood of not only making the playoffs, but going deep into the playoffs just a year later.  That type of logic doesn't make any sense to me, but hey, different strokes for different folks.  No one said we had to agree or think alike.  That's what makes the world go around.

For what it's worth, I have nothing against Reed and am excited/curious to see what he can bring to the team.  If he can help the Jets get hot and make a run in the playoffs, great.  There are different ways to get to where we all want them to go (the SB).  As long as adding Reed doesn't hurt them in the draft and prevent them from taking the next step forward next year, then fine. As you say, Reed is here, so we all have to hope that his coming to the team only pays dividends and doesn't hurt somehow.

1.  Making the playoffs ensures Rex Ryan will be back.  This is good news for Jets fans.

2.  There's no chance Idzik looks at this roster and thinks that resting on our laurels is a good thing.  Making the playoffs and getting blown out, as you expect will happen, will galvanize Idzik to improve the team so we get to the next level.

3.  Winning attracts better free agents, perhaps for less money.  Idzik doesn't strike me as a "overpay a guy just because" like Tannenbaum.  He strikes me as the type that will go after Tier 2 free agents who want to win.

4.  Make the postseason and anything can happen.  There are zero negatives to winning more games. 

5.  Idzik found Richardson with the 13th pick and landed Geno with the 39th.  If he continues to show an ability to find talent I'm not worried about having a later draft pick.

We're in total agreement on your first two points.  My opinion has recently changed on #1.  At the beginning of this season, I thought he probably should be fired.  Even so, I don't think he should get a long extension unless the Jets do somehow not only make the playoffs, but win a couple of playoff games.

I'm not sure if #3 is valid on either of your first two points.  Many, perhaps most, players go where they're offered the most money, period.  Precious few players will go someplace for less because they like the HC or think they'll have a chance to win the SB.  I totally agree with you regarding Idzik.

The odds of "anything" happening in the playoffs are slim.  That's going on "hope" rather than likelikhood or reality.  I prefer reality rather than a hope and prayer.  I think there not only can be negatives to winning more games, but there are.  The Jets are the perfect example.  When the Jets went to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 and 2010, Tanny took that as a sign that the Jets were only a player or two away from winning it all.  He overestimated the talent on the team and at the same time jettisoned some of their veteran leadership, and started bringing in players of lesser character/leadership and disrupted the team chemistry.  In those two cases, winning definitely hurt the Jets.

There's a big difference between the 13th pick and the 23rd pick or later.  Geno falling to #39 is a big bit of luck coupled with stupidity of other GMs.  If you're again right about Idzik finding talent no matter where the Jets draft, fine, then I can relax and won't have anything to worry about.  I hope that you're right.  It's just that the Jets haven't had a GM that could do that in a long, LONG time (since the early-to-mid '80s at least, and some may say even the mid '60s).

Either way,we both want the same thing, just have different ideas about how to get there.  I don't care how long we get there, and I'd be perfectly happy to eat crow and be wrong. In fact, I'd rather get there the way flgreen and you advocate, I just haven't seen that happen with the Jets.

Perhaps we do.  I want the Jets to win a SB...nothing else really matters to me.  Slight improvements, in all likelihood, won't lead to a SB victory.  I don't care about just being competitive.  They play the game to win the SB, not to just try to squeak into the playoffs and hope they get lucky/hot.

I find it hard to believe that any fan would rather squeak into the playoffs and hope they get lucky/hot and win rather than have a much greater chance/likelihood of not only making the playoffs, but going deep into the playoffs just a year later.  That type of logic doesn't make any sense to me, but hey, different strokes for different folks.  No one said we had to agree or think alike.  That's what makes the world go around.

For what it's worth, I have nothing against Reed and am excited/curious to see what he can bring to the team.  If he can help the Jets get hot and make a run in the playoffs, great.  There are different ways to get to where we all want them to go (the SB).  As long as adding Reed doesn't hurt them in the draft and prevent them from taking the next step forward next year, then fine. As you say, Reed is here, so we all have to hope that his coming to the team only pays dividends and doesn't hurt somehow.

I think most fans just want to make the playoffs considering anything can happen in the playoffs....i.e Mark Sanchez taking you to the AFC Championship game as a rookie

I think most fans just want to make the playoffs considering anything can happen in the playoffs....i.e Mark Sanchez taking you to the AFC Championship game as a rookie

You're probably right, and considering the Jets' history, it's totally understandable and reasonable.

We're in total agreement on your first two points.  My opinion has recently changed on #1.  At the beginning of this season, I thought he probably should be fired.  Even so, I don't think he should get a long extension unless the Jets do somehow not only make the playoffs, but win a couple of playoff games.

I'm not sure if #3 is valid on either of your first two points.  Many, perhaps most, players go where they're offered the most money, period.  Precious few players will go someplace for less because they like the HC or think they'll have a chance to win the SB.  I totally agree with you regarding Idzik.

The odds of "anything" happening in the playoffs are slim.  That's going on "hope" rather than likelikhood or reality.  I prefer reality rather than a hope and prayer.  I think there not only can be negatives to winning more games, but there are.  The Jets are the perfect example.  When the Jets went to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 and 2010, Tanny took that as a sign that the Jets were only a player or two away from winning it all.  He overestimated the talent on the team and at the same time jettisoned some of their veteran leadership, and started bringing in players of lesser character/leadership and disrupted the team chemistry.  In those two cases, winning definitely hurt the Jets.

There's a big difference between the 13th pick and the 23rd pick or later.  Geno falling to #39 is a big bit of luck coupled with stupidity of other GMs.  If you're again right about Idzik finding talent no matter where the Jets draft, fine, then I can relax and won't have anything to worry about.  I hope that you're right.  It's just that the Jets haven't had a GM that could do that in a long, LONG time (since the early-to-mid '80s at least, and some may say even the mid '60s).

Either way,we both want the same thing, just have different ideas about how to get there.  I don't care how long we get there, and I'd be perfectly happy to eat crow and be wrong. In fact, I'd rather get there the way flgreen and you advocate, I just haven't seen that happen with the Jets.

1.  I think at this point, Rex would have to do something special to get a LONG extension.  A 2-year extension thru 2016 sounds appropriate.  Idzik can't let Rex simply go into a lame duck year without a vote of confidence, but he also doesn't have to commit long-term to him.  He can still leave the door open that he'll bring in his own guy in a couple years if things go south. 

3.  Teams like the Jaguars or Raiders have to severely overpay free agents to get them there.  It's why you don't see teams bringing in ANYBODY of significance, because they'd cost too much.  We can at least attract decent players being a competitive team in New York.

4.  If Idzik thought this team were 1 or 2 players away from being a contender he wouldn't have signed a bunch of stop-gaps last offseason.  He isn't stupid.  He knew this was a rebuild project when he arrived, and he knows that this team is very young and has many major holes.  It's a credit to the coaching staff and to Geno having a few really good games as a rookie that have made us a contender.  The sooner you simply acknowledge this guy is NOT Tannenbaum, the better.

5.  In Idzik I trust.  For now, I'll enjoy the victories.  No sense not to.  The point of watching is to be entertained.  I like wins.  Besides, if Geno IS the real deal, then that's far more important than where we pick in the draft.  Being able to build around a QB is a way better situation than having to FIND a QB.

1. Making the playoffs ensures Rex Ryan will be back. This is good news for Jets fans.

2. There's no chance Idzik looks at this roster and thinks that resting on our laurels is a good thing. Making the playoffs and getting blown out, as you expect will happen, will galvanize Idzik to improve the team so we get to the next level.

3. Winning attracts better free agents, perhaps for less money. Idzik doesn't strike me as a "overpay a guy just because" like Tannenbaum. He strikes me as the type that will go after Tier 2 free agents who want to win.

4. Make the postseason and anything can happen. There are zero negatives to winning more games.

5. Idzik found Richardson with the 13th pick and landed Geno with the 39th. If he continues to show an ability to find talent I'm not worried about having a later draft pick.

I am really really really interested in purchasing some of these lovely antidepressants you're apparently misusing.

How are the two teams you cite, Baltimore and PIttsburgh doing this year, and why are they doing so poorly?  They have major holes in their rosters and key positions because they have done so well for so long and missed out on players.  I could be mistaken, but I don't think they've drafted a lot of busts.

So you are using a recent two time SB winner and last years SB winner as proof of your flawed logic that winning is bad for your team?   Good luck with that!

1.  I think at this point, Rex would have to do something special to get a LONG extension.  A 2-year extension thru 2016 sounds appropriate.  Idzik can't let Rex simply go into a lame duck year without a vote of confidence, but he also doesn't have to commit long-term to him.  He can still leave the door open that he'll bring in his own guy in a couple years if things go south. 

3.  Teams like the Jaguars or Raiders have to severely overpay free agents to get them there.  It's why you don't see teams bringing in ANYBODY of significance, because they'd cost too much.  We can at least attract decent players being a competitive team in New York.

4.  If Idzik thought this team were 1 or 2 players away from being a contender he wouldn't have signed a bunch of stop-gaps last offseason.  He isn't stupid.  He knew this was a rebuild project when he arrived, and he knows that this team is very young and has many major holes.  It's a credit to the coaching staff and to Geno having a few really good games as a rookie that have made us a contender.  The sooner you simply acknowledge this guy is NOT Tannenbaum, the better.

5.  In Idzik I trust.  For now, I'll enjoy the victories.  No sense not to.  The point of watching is to be entertained.  I like wins.  Besides, if Geno IS the real deal, then that's far more important than where we pick in the draft.  Being able to build around a QB is a way better situation than having to FIND a QB.

Again, we're in total agreement on #1.

Yes, the Jags and Raiders probably do have to overpay to get FAs, just as the Jets once did (see Calvin Pace and others).  The Jets now are different.  If things had gone South this year, then we might have been back in the same boat as those two teams, but thank God we're not.

I didn't say that Idzik is stupid.  I like him. I was just citing the Jets as an example of what can happen.  While I like most of the moves of Idzik so far, and he seems too "grown up," intelligent, experienced in the ways of the NFL, etc. to make a dumb decision like that, we just don't know what he'll do during the offseason.  He could get excited thinking that with a big FA signing or two and making a big splash in the draft to get 2-3 great players with those 12 picks that it could put the team in serious contention next season.  Now, based on everything I've seen from him so far, I can't see that happening, but it's possible, just as the chances of "anything could happen" in the playoffs is possible.

Until he proves otherwise, I'll trust in Idzik too, but there's only so much he can control.  I'm also enjoying the victories.  I've just seen for most of my life that if something could backfire or go wrong with the Jets, it usually does.  All too often it has looked like they were turning a corner or finally making the right decision on something and it all turned to crap.  I've said all along that regardless of what else happens this year, finding out whether Geno is the answer at QB is THE most important thing for the Jets.

So you are using a recent two time SB winner and last years SB winner as proof of your flawed logic that winning is bad for your team?   Good luck with that!

In a nutshell, your response is what's wrong with Jets boards.  You think you are reading between the lines of what I said, use hyperbole and go way beyond what I said/meant.  It's sad and pathetic that some of you guys are so insecure and have such small dicks, that you have to act like a dick on a Jets' discussion list to try to compensate. 

For the record, I wasn't using them as "proof" of anything, just an example that there are trade-offs or consequences.  The way the NFL is set up now teams can't stay dominant for a long period of time.  Due to the cap and draft position, there is a limited window for the top teams.  Eventually, as contracts expire too many of their players become too expensive to keep them all and they lose some in FA, others retire, and because of their drafting at the bottom of each round, they miss out on the players that could keep them at the top.  I have seen the statistics that show that it's easier for a 3-13 team to become an elite team and contender for the SB than it is an 8-8 or 9-7 team.  Believe what you want.  It doesn't make a rat's ass difference to me.

JoeKlecko, on 15 Nov 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

In a nutshell, your response is what's wrong with Jets boards.  You think you are reading between the lines of what I said, use hyperbole and go way beyond what I said/meant.  It's sad and pathetic that some of you guys are so insecure and have such small dicks, that you have to act like a dick on a Jets' discussion list to try to compensate. 

For the record, I wasn't using them as "proof" of anything, just an example that there are trade-offs or consequences.  The way the NFL is set up now teams can't stay dominant for a long period of time.  Due to the cap and draft position, there is a limited window for the top teams.  Eventually, as contracts expire too many of their players become too expensive to keep them all and they lose some in FA, others retire, and because of their drafting at the bottom of each round, they miss out on the players that could keep them at the top.  I have seen the statistics that show that it's easier for a 3-13 team to become an elite team and contender for the SB than it is an 8-8 or 9-7 team.  Believe what you want.  It doesn't make a rat's ass difference to me.

It's more about who you draft and how many picks you hit on along with draft strategy (trade up/trade down, BPA or for need) then it is where you actually pick. That's why teams like Baltimore and Pittsbiurgh are in the playoffs quite often even though they wind up picking in the back end, they draft good talent.

The Jets have picked in the top half more often than not but had guys like Mike Hickey and Boobway running the drafts. Enough said there.

I have all the confidence in the world that Idz will get a playmaker in FA or in the draft. If he needs to trade up to get that player, I have no doubts he will do so wisely.

Due to the cap and draft position, there is a limited window for the top teams.  Eventually, as contracts expire too many of their players become too expensive to keep them all and they lose some in FA, others retire, and because of their drafting at the bottom of each round, they miss out on the players that could keep them at the top.  I have seen the statistics that show that it's easier for a 3-13 team to become an elite team and contender for the SB than it is an 8-8 or 9-7 team.  Believe what you want.  It doesn't make a rat's ass difference to me.

And yet, there are teams that seem to always be amongst the top contenders, and others that always seem to be bottom dwellers.

I think this logic, and the accompanying statistics, go out the window if you're able to find a franchise QB in the second round (oh wouldn't that be nice!) and/or the DPOY with the 30th pick of the draft.

Maintaining a contender over the long haul requires tough decisions. For the Jets, it'll probably mean figuring out which DL to let go rather than trying to keep this entire group together thru their second contracts. Making the right move in not resigning a player can be as -or more- important than knowing who to sign in free agency. It takes smart picks downstream, and good coaching. You need Brandon Moores and Big Snacks as well as those top picks. Being able to juggle all these elements is what separates a great executive from a good one. If Idzik is that guy, and (maybe a bigger if) Geno is his QB, then the Jets should be able to win and keep winning while maintaining a talented roster - regardless of draft position.

Archived