Sign in to follow this  
eboozer

Macklin, Decker, E. Sanders, Cooper UFA's 2014

Rate this topic

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Andre Johnson.  Great player.  Great character and citizen.  Still young enough that he could play 4-5 more years.  He could help the Jets win a SB or two in that time.  It is looking like the chances for the Jets to get a great WR prospect in next year's draft are fading rapidly.  Do you really want to go into 2014 with the same WRs as this year (less Holmes)?

I do believe Johnson has a good amount left in the tank (2-3 seasons at this level i think) but since he is at this current state of his career, this will be his last big contract and I bet he will make any team overpay for his services. Some will be able to afford it but personally, I'm looking into bringing in new young blood that doesnt cost as much. I do see what youre saying though, we may be forced to spend the money on a receiver since we are taking ourselves out of the running for the two studs Evans and Watkins. To be honest though, if we spend any large amounts of money in the season..you are correct, I hope it goes toward getting an elite receiver. I just dont personally like any of the ones that are available. Id rather honestly lose a 3rd (we have two) and move up in the first round to get Evans or Watkins rather than spend on a big contract with these receivers. 

I do believe Johnson has a good amount left in the tank (2-3 seasons at this level i think) but since he is at this current state of his career, this will be his last big contract and I bet he will make any team overpay for his services. Some will be able to afford it but personally, I'm looking into bringing in new young blood that doesnt cost as much. I do see what youre saying though, we may be forced to spend the money on a receiver since we are taking ourselves out of the running for the two studs Evans and Watkins. To be honest though, if we spend any large amounts of money in the season..you are correct, I hope it goes toward getting an elite receiver. I just dont personally like any of the ones that are available. Id rather honestly lose a 3rd (we have two) and move up in the first round to get Evans or Watkins rather than spend on a big contract with these receivers. 

We still have a shot at Marqise Lee, I'm not to sold on Evans, kind of seems like a tight end to me. But then again, Fitz ran a 4.63, so who knows, iffy prospect for me. Although it's likely not going to matter because he probably won't fall to us anyway, Lee on the other hand, we got a shot at.

Edited by artemusclyde

Thanks.  I understand where you're coming from, and in general agree with that approach.  It's just that Johnson is such a special player and he could speed the timetable up for the Jets significantly and be huge in helping Geno develop.  The thing is that with drafted WRs, it's not at all uncommon for them to take at least a year, if not 2-3 years to develop fully.  Think of what it would be like if the Jets signed Johnson AND traded up or somehow got an elite WR in the draft.  Think of what that player could learn from Johnson, and with Johnson at #1, that other player wouldn't have the pressure to contribute immediately.  He could either play the #2 spot until Johnson retired, then slide into the #1 spot, of if he needed some work on route running or other fundamentals could even sit for part of the season without controversy or pressure.