Geno Smith, It's Show Time

flgreen

Smith is in a great position to cement himself as the future franchise QB for the Jets.

The first 9 games for him has been a roller-coaster ride.  He has shown that he has a big up field arm, and can make plays with his feet when needed.  He has also shown when to much responsibility is put on him he can make very bad decisions, and lose games.  The Jets FO has refused to commit to him for more then a few games into the future 

Granted, as has been pointed out on here, he is a rookie, and is going to make blunders.  It's time for him to start showing signs of growing up.  He has helped in placing the team in a very surprising position, that right now, they have the last seed in the playoffs. This has happened in spite of having several important injuries on offense.  

The cavalry is on the way.

Winslow, Holmes, and Cumberland will be healthy this week.  Winslow, and Holmes should be very motivated to put up big numbers the last 7 games, and make themselves relevant again in a contract year.  Cumberland is a decent TE, who can make plays.  Nelson appears to be a very adequate WR  The O line is good, the running game seems to be emerging with two good RB's.  The schedule is favorable.  Not exactly a juggernaut, but good enough to put points up, and with this very good D win a lot of games.

Smith needs to step up.  He doesn't need to be Peyton Manning, he just needs to be a good game manager.

Cut the turnovers down.  At least in half.  Make 3 or 4 big plays a game with his arm, and 1or 2 with his legs.  If he does that the Jets, with the schedule the way it is, could easily finish 5-2, and make the play offs.  Who knows what happens then.  If that happens Smith will be the starting QB for sure going into next season, and probably cement the QB job down for his rookie contract.

if not, if he keeps turning the ball over,and costs  the Jets games, and the play offs, the Jets will most likely be looking at QB's early in the draft.

If Geno can end the season with similar stats to his first 8 games, but FAR LESS turnovers. I'd be resigned to not picking another QB in the first round next year... however, I still think we take a mid-round QB and do some grooming. Keep the stable fresh, no matter whether you find "the guy" or not.

The NFL is a QB league now more than ever... no point in not buying a lottery ticket every draft, especially when you have a ton of compensatory picks coming your way.

If Geno can end the season with similar stats to his first 8 games, but FAR LESS turnovers. I'd be resigned to not picking another QB in the first round next year... however, I still think we take a mid-round QB and do some grooming. Keep the stable fresh, no matter whether you find "the guy" or not.

The NFL is a QB league now more than ever... no point in not buying a lottery ticket every draft, especially when you have a ton of compensatory picks coming your way.

I think taking a 1st round QB is probably not the best idea at this point.  Regardless of what Geno has shown, at this point, we're looking at a pick that is in the late teens/early 20s.  Top picking teams, the Bucs, Jags, Raiders, Vikings will all be thinking QB.  Then, you have the possibility of the Texans, Eagles, and Browns all of whom will likely be picking before us.  Obviously all of those teams wont take a QB, but the way things are going right now, the crop could be pretty well picked through, and we already have one project in Geno, we don't need another.

The mid-rounds, as you say, are really where we should replenish, or we should just start Bratt Ratsimms.

I think taking a 1st round QB is probably not the best idea at this point.  Regardless of what Geno has shown, at this point, we're looking at a pick that is in the late teens/early 20s.  Top picking teams, the Bucs, Jags, Raiders, Vikings will all be thinking QB.  Then, you have the possibility of the Texans, Eagles, and Browns all of whom will likely be picking before us.  Obviously all of those teams wont take a QB, but the way things are going right now, the crop could be pretty well picked through, and we already have one project in Geno, we don't need another.

The mid-rounds, as you say, are really where we should replenish, or we should just start Bratt Ratsimms.

In general, I agree with you... however, you never know who could drop to the bottom of R1. :)

Ideally, we can come out of R1 with a guy that can be plugged in for immediate contribution on offense, specifically a WR. If not, then we have to consider OLB, CB/S.

Positions like OG, TE, and RB, all areas where we can use improvement on offense, can be addressed in mid-rounds. You need impact from that first rounder, imo.

They are.  But your need to place those facts every opportunity you get is what is an #agenda.

we all have agendas that doesn't disregard the facts. Jets fans are pretending Geno is good cause we want to believe he's good. He's not.  Hows that for an agenda? this article talks about a roller coaster of a sseason was 8-19 against NO considered a high on this coaster? or his pick 6 turd burger against the Pats another high point? 

Hypothetical

Manziel is putting up big numbers.  Looks to be one of the top picks in the draft.  He is also a self centered screw ball.   It is  not inconceivable to me that he falls to the Jets.

If Smith continues turning the ball over, Jets don't make the playoffs.  Would you take him? 

year to date the Jets have the 3rd worst QBing in the league. This stat also jives with Geno being 29th in QB rating and third in picks (first in pick sixes).

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/82146/bad-quarterback-league-week-10-andrew-lucks-horrible-day-and-elis-wonderful-year

There is no universe in which a recurring Grantland meme called "The Bad Quarterback League" can be considered a "stat."

Hypothetical

Manziel is putting up big numbers.  Looks to be one of the top picks in the draft.  He is also a self centered screw ball.   It is  not inconceivable to me that he falls to the Jets.

If Smith continues turning the ball over, Jets don't make the playoffs.  Would you take him? 

No chance. I don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NFL as a QB.

year to date the Jets have the 3rd worst QBing in the league. This stat also jives with Geno being 29th in QB rating and third in picks (first in pick sixes).

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/82146/bad-quarterback-league-week-10-andrew-lucks-horrible-day-and-elis-wonderful-year

You are the crotchety, old, bitter man of the board.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but a lot of people are going crazy over him.

Think he is going to be the drama of this draft

He may very well be the best QB in the draft, too. This QB class is shaping up to be kind of weak. A lot of projects and no real well-rounded prospects. I don't feel the TBW hype either.

He may very well be the best QB in the draft, too. This QB class is shaping up to be kind of weak. A lot of projects and no real well-rounded prospects. I don't feel the TBW hype either.

I disagree, if both Hundley, and Mariota come out, there could be as many as 7 QB's picked in the 1st round this year, and turn into one of the best QB drafts ever.

TBW

Mariota

Hundley

Boyd

Carr

Manziel

Mechlenberg (LSU QB)

All could go 1st round if they start flying off the board early the other QB needy teams could panic.

we all have agendas that doesn't disregard the facts. Jets fans are pretending Geno is good cause we want to believe he's good. He's not.  Hows that for an agenda? this article talks about a roller coaster of a sseason was 8-19 against NO considered a high on this coaster? or his pick 6 turd burger against the Pats another high point? 

Who are all these people calling Geno a good QB?

Seriously?

The most glowing endorsements I've read are that people have seen a handful of things to like, recognize that he's playing with 3rd stringers, and know he needs to cut down on the turnovers, which he's already begun to do with fumbles.

Geno and the Jets have well outperformed most people's expectations, so plenty of people are optimistic about the future while still realizing there's a long way to go.

Smith needs to step up.  He doesn't need to be Peyton Manning, he just needs to be a good game manager.

Cut the turnovers down.  At least in half.  Make 3 or 4 big plays a game with his arm, and 1or 2 with his legs.  If he does that the Jets, with the schedule the way it is, could easily finish 5-2, and make the play offs.  Who knows what happens then.

I want Geno to be more than a game manager. I recognize the desire to go into a conservative shell with a rookie QB in a playoff run, but putting that QB in a shell is a terrible way to try to develop him. Rex hired Mornhinweg to marry an aggressive offense to his aggressive defense. He shouldn't lose site of that in an improbable playoff push. And one of the hardest things for a QB to do is play conservative for three quarters, then be expected to throw strikes in the fourth when you find the team behind.

I hope the coaches take advantage of the return of Holmes, Winslow, and Cumberland, and continue to focus on Geno's continued growth.

Who are all these people calling Geno a good QB?

Seriously?

The most glowing endorsements I've read are that people have seen a handful of things to like, recognize that he's playing with 3rd stringers, and know he needs to cut down on the turnovers, which he's already begun to do with fumbles.

Geno and the Jets have well outperformed most people's expectations, so plenty of people are optimistic about the future while still realizing there's a long way to go.

Geno has situationally helped us win a couple games we shouldn't have. He's also cost us wins we had in the bag. At the end of the day, the only thing I see "people" saying is "good" is that we've won more than we've lost, and more than we were expected to.

Bitonit is from another planet.

I want Geno to be more than a game manager. I recognize the desire to go into a conservative shell with a rookie QB in a playoff run, but putting that QB in a shell is a terrible way to try to develop him. Rex hired Mornhinweg to marry an aggressive offense to his aggressive defense. He shouldn't lose site of that in an improbable playoff push. And one of the hardest things for a QB to do is play conservative for three quarters, then be expected to throw strikes in the fourth when you find the team behind.

I hope the coaches take advantage of the return of Holmes, Winslow, and Cumberland, and continue to focus on Geno's continued growth.

Me too.

We have no business being a playoff team... we should got for it balls to the wall, none of this playing scared of losing crap we've seen here and there from Rex teams. Win or lose, play the game you've played to get to this point. Let Geno throw it. 

What makes Geno different than other recent quarterbacks? He does not shy away from the big moment. He doesn't shrink from the spotlight. He actually seems to warm to those elements.

That is a HUGE departure from the shrinking violets that have been Jet Quarterbacks.

Is it everything? No. But it is a pretty good start at that position, for this team

Hypothetical

Manziel is putting up big numbers. Looks to be one of the top picks in the draft. He is also a self centered screw ball. It is not inconceivable to me that he falls to the Jets.

If Smith continues turning the ball over, Jets don't make the playoffs. Would you take him?

Want nothing to do with him.

All those college QBs look great playing against powder-puffs. The next QB prospect worth talking about may be Jameis. Kid has the goods.

Boom!

Commit to Geno next season.  Build an offense around him, if he sucks, do anything and everything you can to draft Jameis.

It's too bad QB's never get better after their rookie seasons. 

What makes Geno different than other recent quarterbacks? He does not shy away from the big moment. He doesn't shrink from the spotlight. He actually seems to warm to those elements.

That is a HUGE departure from the shrinking violets that have been Jet Quarterbacks.

Is it everything? No. But it is a pretty good start at that position, for this team

Stoic. I like that about him. He plays good you get neutral emotions, he sucks the bed you get neutral emotions.  He has a far way to go but you can;t coach a guy to have ice water in his veins. I might just be saying that because our last QB looked like he was pouting all the time.

No one here has been proclaiming Geno as  all pro. We just see some positive  attributes that gives you hope that he can be  the goods. maybe it wil not happen but he certainly has not been the worst QB like your list thinks

Agreed

But he seems to shrink when the team is down multiple scores, try's to get 21 points on 1 throw, I've seen so many teams come back methodically from 2, and 3 scores this year in the 2nd half, even the 4th quarter, and it all starts with a quick, smart, efficient QB in a no huddle offense, Geno isn't there yet, and never will be if the Jets resort back to 2009 strategy like others in this thread stated.

...and yet Geno is still a huge upgrade over Sanchez.  Go figure. 

the beauty of Geno's rookie season is that he either completely stinks or plays lights out.   It really is amazing how putrid he's been in the losses and how good he's been in the wins.   

The 29th worst QBing is an aggregate of the 9 games.   2 pick 6's in a game the whole team stunk really don't mean much at this point.    

5 wins most likely gets in, possibly 4.     Let's let this play out before putting Geno in the same bin as Sanchez, Nagle, Clemens, etc...

Archived