Jets about to sign Ed Reed

HessStation

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Ronnie Lott/Art Monk/Brett Favre all over again.  We never learn.

You think so? I think he's a patch to help out a suspect secondary, with half a season left to go, while we hold the 6th seed and control our own destiny.  

Doubt he's any major type of investment and no more or less of a patch than Kellen Winslow.  He's a veteran who's obviously past his prime but who may or may not be able to give us some cheap production due to veteran savvy (and in Reed's case, immediate knowledge of Ryan's D).  Pretty low risk and nothing like the 3 you mentioned.

It was a Ronnie Lott deal for the Texans.  It's quite a bit less than that for the Jets.

If I find out we just gave him a 2.5 year deal at $3M per or more, then I'll feel differently.

Not sure the impact.  I think it will help considering how terrible the secondary has been...but expecting a shell of the former Ed Reed.  Hopefully, thats enough but I'm not holding my breath.   

A shell of Reed > any Jets safety on the roster.

Not sure the impact. I think it will help considering how terrible the secondary has been...but expecting a shell of the former Ed Reed. Hopefully, thats enough but I'm not holding my breath.

He upgrades the secondary and makes the team a little better, probably more via leadership than skill at this point. It's a good signing and makes them more fun to watch rest of the season if Reed can stay on the field.

He upgrades the secondary and makes the team a little better, probably more via leadership than skill at this point. It's a good signing and makes them more fun to watch rest of the season if Reed can stay on the field.

Agreed.  Just limiting my expectations from a production standpoint.  

The one thing I know about Reed, is that he's a maniacal in the film room.  I've read articles that he watches so much film, he's basically got books on QB and WR tendencies.  Which is why, in addition to his skill, he was such an incredible ball hawk his entire career.

So that aspect I'm in love with considering how young the D is all together.  

Agreed.  Just limiting my expectations from a production standpoint.  

The one thing I know about Reed, is that he's a maniacal in the film room.  I've read articles that he watches so much film, he's basically got books on QB and WR tendencies.  Which is why, in addition to his skill, he was such an incredible ball hawk his entire career.

So that aspect I'm in love with considering how young the D is all together.  

And he'll be like another coach on the field for Rex too, for one of the youngest defenses in the league, heading into our run to make the playoffs.  This has all kinds of win all over it.

This will surely cost us the season. 

Good grief, how do you look at yourself in the mirror. Shameless. 

I'd hate looking at myself in the mirror if I viewed the world through green-tinted glasses. As it is, I'm good.

More importantly, is that an actual post from Haggis above? Good to see you here!

super bowl winning leadership at the worst. solid safety depth. don't see how this signing is not a win.only problem I could see is if reed has nothing left in the tank and rex insists on playing him out of admoration

Hard to think our secondary will be worse either way.

Archived