Go with Simms until he has a crap game

Matt39

Look around the league and backup/non drafted guys are coming in and playing decently. Geno needs a break, it's time. Baltimore will eat up on his tendencies. This isnt an Atlanta defense in a dome- this is a veteran unit that will smell blood the same way Buffalo did.

Let Simms go out there, at least Baltimore wont have film on the guy. There needs to be a change right now...and its not entirely Geno's fault. But he's hit a wall and there's no shame in sitting one out. Once you get the deer in headlight look its time to sit. If Simms sh*ts the bed they can go right back to him against Miami at home. Geno isnt getting the Sanchez treatment yet where the fans cant stand the sight of him. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In principle I agree with every thing you have said.  IMO here's the worm.  If Simms comes in, I don't want it to be for a 1 game grounding of Geno.  I'd like to know what Simms has to offer for the long term.  He was terrible in college, but he surly has a big arm.

Has he matured?

I'd like to see what he has for the rest of the season.  Will the Jets have to spend a 1st in next year's draft on a QB?  Will Simms show enough to have a genuine QB battle in camp next year.  Think the CS needs to know that going into the off season.

If we are going to take a look at Simms it has to be more then for one game.  Geno was given 10.  He's looked bad, and seems to be regressing.  Just don't see a one game benching lighting a fire under him.  He is very green, and i felt from the beginning he needed at least a year to get what the NFL is all about.

If he sits, let it be for the rest of the season.  If Simms looks the part.  Great.  If not, bring in the old man until he breaks

Geno's been awful, Simms is terrible, the only QB on the roster that I see capable of helping this team reach the playoffs, the way it's constructed, is Garrard.  Other than giving us the opportunity for an early exit in the playoffs, I don't see how that helps our franchise.  I'd give Simms a few extra reps in practice this week, start Geno and give him an early hook if need be. I particularly don't care who starts right now as both look like hot garbage, but there's no way Geno isn't going to be starting considering how absolutely dreadful the entire team played.  If everyone on the team showed up except for him, I think Simms would be starting, but until that happens they're going to go with Geno.  

Is Simms worse than Matt Mcgloin? Tolzien? I don't think this is a McElroy situation where everyone knew he couldn't play. There is zero downside to Simms starting against Baltimore IMO. Let him give it a shot.

The defense gives up too many big plays and doesn't turn the ball over. I don't think Garrard ball control would be sustainable.

All rookie quarterbacks suck. All rookie corners suck. You need to let them work through it. You people would have cut Aikman, Eli, Peyton, etc. You would have cut Patrick Peterson. Take a chill.

I'm not taking about cutting anyone. this team could still make the playoffs and the rookie QB has taken a total nosedive. If we had 1 win like the Aikman Cowboys I wouldn't care. You can't punt seasons anymore. The playoffs are entirely too fluky.

Geno's been awful, Simms is terrible, the only QB on the roster that I see capable of helping this team reach the playoffs, the way it's constructed, is Garrard.  Other than giving us the opportunity for an early exit in the playoffs, I don't see how that helps our franchise.  I'd give Simms a few extra reps in practice this week, start Geno and give him an early hook if need be. I particularly don't care who starts right now as both look like hot garbage, but there's no way Geno isn't going to be starting considering how absolutely dreadful the entire team played.  If everyone on the team showed up except for him, I think Simms would be starting, but until that happens they're going to go with Geno.  

Garrard hasn't taken an NFL snap in 2 years and you want to insert him and think hes capable of helping  the Jets reach the playoffs?  Are you nuts?

Garrard hasn't taken an NFL snap in 2 years and you want to insert him and think hes capable of helping  the Jets reach the playoffs?  Are you nuts?

Garrard , for 6 games, probably gives the Jets a better chance to make the play offs then Smith  (Mini Mark) at this point.  Just manage the game, don't do anything stupid.  Odds are he won't stay healthy for more then one game, so your point is valid.

Garrard , for 6 games, probably gives the Jets a better chance to make the play offs then Smith  (Mini Mark) at this point.  Just manage the game, don't do anything stupid.  Odds are he won't stay healthy for more then one game, so your point is valid.

Garrard like Sanchez should never ever take a snap in a Jets uniform this season next season any season.

The more coach than backup QB experiment yielded absolutely zero results with Brunell, I don't know why the team opted to repeat it with a one-legged QB who'd missed the last two seasons. If the Jets had an actual QB that they could turn to, my opinion here might be different. As it is, I think Geno should start - albeit on a shorter leash. They should have Simms ready, and go into the game ready to pull Geno quickly if he's just not getting it.

I'm not taking about cutting anyone. this team could still make the playoffs and the rookie QB has taken a total nosedive. If we had 1 win like the Aikman Cowboys I wouldn't care. You can't punt seasons anymore. The playoffs are entirely too fluky.

Bro, this team can't win back to back games to save their lives, but they're going to string together four straight against playoff competition? This season was punted when Tannenbaum extended Holmes and Sanchez.

Bro, this team can't win back to back games to save their lives, but they're going to string together four straight against playoff competition? This season was punted when Tannenbaum extended Holmes and Sanchez.

Stranger things have happened. Its obviously unlikely- but you never know in this league. We cant look at a situation from 25 years ago and compare ours. The chance of building an all star team isnt realistic anymore. You have 5 wins now and control your own destiny- at least try something different.

Stranger things have happened. Its obviously unlikely- but you never know in this league. We cant look at a situation from 25 years ago and compare ours. The chance of building an all star team isnt realistic anymore. You have 5 wins now and control your own destiny- at least try something different.

No team wins the Super Bowl under circumstances like the Jets have now. The team is in transition, and chasing a playoff spot at the expense of building toward the future gains you nothing, IMO. It took years to build the Ravens, Giants, Pats, etc championship teams--they didn't go from zero to a title within a season. Look at it this way--if we were 4-6 right now, would you be calling for Simms to start? Matt Simms and Darrin Walls aren't making up the difference between the Jets and the better teams in the league. IMO, we need to stay the course and hope we see more from our young talent as the season wears on. You gotta go through some dark times to become a contender. No way around it.

No team wins the Super Bowl under circumstances like the Jets have now. The team is in transition, and chasing a playoff spot at the expense of building toward the future gains you nothing, IMO. It took years to build the Ravens, Giants, Pats, etc championship teams--they didn't go from zero to a title within a season. Look at it this way--if we were 4-6 right now, would you be calling for Simms to start? Matt Simms and Darrin Walls aren't making up the difference between the Jets and the better teams in the league. IMO, we need to stay the course and hope we see more from our young talent as the season wears on. You gotta go through some dark times to become a contender. No way around it.

It's more because I think Geno needs to take a break. He's broken right now. The situation the Jets placed him in wasn't fair to begin with, but still...let him take a game in from the sideline. Watching Simms get pounded probably would boost his confidence anyway. If Simms plays well...then that's good too.

The bills lined up that stud DL over winters all game.  MM should have made adjustments to conteract this (ie rollouts away from this mismatch). Toward the end of Genos time in the game yesterday, I saw Mangold look to help him and it wound up opening a gaping hole for a DB to get through untouched. 

On this day Pettin>>>>MM

For those that don't like Simms, his chances on becoming a viable starter in the NFL, or in general - let him start against first string NFL talent and let him go to the point where he screws up 50% as bad as Geno has - and then re-evaluate. 

We aren't going to be able to make ANY improvements in the OL this season and and Geno has shown what he "can't" do with what exists and the pressure valve is opened full.

Let another guy that might see the field differently or better have a shot.

Is Simms worse than Matt Mcgloin? Tolzien? I don't think this is a McElroy situation where everyone knew he couldn't play. There is zero downside to Simms starting against Baltimore IMO. Let him give it a shot.

The defense gives up too many big plays and doesn't turn the ball over. I don't think Garrard ball control would be sustainable.

Boy, Tough choice here. GENO has obviously regressed the past 3 weeks, and Baltimore will be on fire considering the way they lost that game yesterday, and do not want to be another SB champion team that misses the playoffs the following year. My heart really says SIMMS but for the same reasons as I believe Geno will struggle against that D, I believe Simms may also struggle. Geno has been much worse on the road, and seems to get intimidated on the road.

WOW, I wouldnt want to making that choice but in the end, I guess I would prefer Simms starting, and hey, maybe if Simms struggles and Geno has to come off the bench, maybe he thrives more in that situation. Again, very tough choice but REX very rarely pulled the guy from USC so I dont seeing him pulling Geno.

All rookie quarterbacks suck. All rookie corners suck. You need to let them work through it. You people would have cut Aikman, Eli, Peyton, etc. You would have cut Patrick Peterson. Take a chill.

So in other words, Rex putting Sanchez out in the Snoopy Bowl behind a line of guys who aren't in the NFL anymore, was a bad idea because it stunted Geno's ability to learn from the sidelines

Have to agree for the most part.  I remember James Hasty and Aaron Glenn really stinking it up their rookie years and they turned out to be all-pro's, but Revis was pretty damn good his rookie year. 

For QBs, Aikman was awful and really did not show much but then made a career out of being in an idiot proof offense - it was easy to succeed with the weapons he had and protection he got - Aikman in my opinion was extremely over-rated.  Manning (Peyton) was a turnover machine his rookie year - but showed a lot of flashes - I think his problem was he was/is too much of a gun slinger - sort of Brett Farve with a brain. 

You have to admit it though, some guys just have it....Marino, Brady, Luck, ....then look at this year at how guys like Glennon and Keenum and walk right in  and not necessarily perform great but don't just hand the ball to the defense like Sanchez and now Geno do.  There's that "X" factor, the difference between looking bad and looking stupid.   Geno just makes himself look stupid - he throws the ball without concern for the consequences - he doesn't respect the game - I am starting to fear that although Geno has shown more poise than Sanchez - he is football dumb in the same way.  As for Milliner - its one thing to get burnt - even Revis had gotten burnt - but its another thing to look stupid.  At this point I doubt Milliner could ever be a shutdown corner in this league - he may end up a good cover-2 corner.

People are giving up on Geno way too early.  Last time we played the Bills, Manuel looked lke ass crap but they didnt give up on him.  Geno is a rookie, with the worst WR corp in the NFL, and a Oline that is good one week, mediocore the next.  He had guys in his face on EVERY play.  He got hit on EVERY throw.  Its up to the Online to protect our rookie QB, not the other way around.

You gotta give him some time (as in the rest of this season, and next years training camp) and you gotta give him some weapons.

Everyone here who says Peyton showed flashes in is rookie year are crazy.  How many playoff games did he lose before he won his first.  When we beat him 41-0 in the playoffs, how mant Colts fans were like," time to give up, he sucks, start Painter." 

Cause 70% of the posters here would have canned his ass if he was on the Jets. Now that would be typical Jets.  

Watched the Giants play yesterday after the Jets.  The announcers were talking about how Manning had to build some confidence in his receivers and thereby build some confidence in himself.  That's the key to QBing-confidence.  Even a veteran with 2 Super Bowl wins under his belt needs to have it nurtured for him to be effective.

So now rookie Geno has a bad game and everyone is saying sit his ass.

The only rookie QB this board would like would be like Dan Marino or Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger-a rookie who comes right in and wins, wins, wins right away.  There is no patience for building the youngster's confidence. 

Watched the Giants play yesterday after the Jets.  The announcers were talking about how Manning had to build some confidence in his receivers and thereby build some confidence in himself.  That's the key to QBing-confidence.  Even a veteran with 2 Super Bowl wins under his belt needs to have it nurtured for him to be effective.

The only rookie QB this board would like would be like Dan Marino or Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger-a rookie who comes right in and wins, wins, wins right away.  There is no patience for building the youngster's confidence. 

I agree. It's tough to argue because of how badly he played, but it looks like one of those games where the entire team played so poorly it's tough to really evaluate it. Chemistry is a real thing and when there's any mix ups it's always on the QB. Geno certainly played dreadfully, but it didn't help that he was facing a tough defense, three of their best players he had never seen before, his offensive line did a 180 from their week 3 showing and he hadn't thrown to Holmes and Winslow in 6 weeks and Cumby in another 2. Who knows if that had any effect, but I can't imagine it helped anything. 

I agree with Matt that sitting him wouldn't mean giving up on him, but at 5-5, I still think he's earned the right to take the field on Sunday in Baltimore and see if he can't lead the team as a whole to a rebound win. What will be funny is if that happens, as unlikely as it is, we'll be right back to talking about the playoffs up until we lose to Miami, Cleveland, Oakland or Carolina lol.

The Jets started out saying they wanted to be competitive.  Then when training camp and preseason progressed it looked like the front office was in turmoil and everyone figured we were in for a 2 or 3 win season and a big rebuild.  Then we go to 5-4 and suddenly we start talking playoffs.  Now we stink out the place in this game and all is lost.

We are already way ahead of what everyone anticipated, show a little patience with these new guys, especially the rookies.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Fans are stupid.  

Probably the worst thing to do is bench him.

Remember when we had this conversation last vs. the Titans?  Geno came out and played great the next game.

You have to live and die with a rookie QB having games like this.

I love the assumption that Simms' first game won't be crap.

RJF (wish he was still posting here) said it best on facebook last night: "There is no Pennington. There is no Sanchez. There is no Geno. There is only NYJ QB."

Pretty much. Every year it's the same thing: don't draft one of the QBs in the first, unless we have the #1 overall, just grab a guy in the middle rounds to develop. Newsflash, this is what happens when you want to develop a QB, you have to let him work through these growing pains and hope he matures. You don't just draft a QB every year until magically one of them hits the ground running and never makes a mistake, that sh*t just doesn't happen. You find a guy you think has tools, ride with him and then reevaluate in the offseason: you can yank him in the regular season only if you think it won't hinder his development development and you have a better option on the bench. 

Also, tell that f*cker to come back, total bummer he left.

Kurt Warner should have stuck with bagging groceries.

Archived