Go with Simms until he has a crap game

Matt39

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok

simms has a crap game vs baltimore

now what ?

See where Geno's head is at. Maybe Geno being benched will be a wake up call to the entire offense. He's not the only issue. Nick "mail it in" Mangold was abused by Marcel Dareus yesterday.

What exactly did you see yesterday from Simms other than one bad pass and a few passes knocked down ? The guy seems to know how to play in the Pocket and Geno has no earthly Idea WTF to do in the pocket . That in itself will be a huge Improvement. Geno seemed to be making some strides in previous games but as I told you in earlier threads this year He will revert back at the slightest hint of pressure and he has . Honestly in the pocket he may be as bad or worse than Mark Sanchez who at least early on had good footwork and knew how to step into a pass.

What pocket presence? Every single time Simms has come in the game the teams have rushed four and dropped everyone else into coverage. Even still, he ends up outside of the pocket more times than not. In both games that he's come in he's made horrendously poor decisions in throwing into double or triple coverage that should have been picked off. 

Through the first 7 games, Geno was actually at his best against the blitz, Pettine just gave him looks he's absolutely never seen and his defense beat the hell out of our guys, that can happen. Geno stepped up into the pocket on numerous occasions only to get flattened by Kyle Williams or Marcel Darreus. This is one of those games was so bad that most talent-evaluators and coaches will tell you that you can learn almost nothing from it.

Eventually, as Jets's fans, you have to sit back and realize that you can't say "oh lets draft a middle round QB and develop him" and not actually ever try to develop him. When you are learning on the fly, this is what that looks like.

Holy sh*t.

I cant believe I'm arguing with people about starting a QB carousel for a team that is currently 5-5 and in control of their own destiny with a rookie QB on a team who was predicted to pick top 3.

I leave now.  This was fun.  But I'm losing brain cells. 

the brain cells are already lost JIF ...Geno Smith has contributed very litte to the Jets current position in the standing so how your arguing that point is whats killing your brain cells/ You cited this same sh*t with Sanchez but now its ok to have a Terrible QB who IMO has more Issues than Sanchez somehow in your world gets a free pass ?? Come on Man

small_ChrisCarter.jpg

See where Geno's head is at. Maybe Geno being benched will be a wake up call to the entire offense. He's not the only issue. Nick "mail it in" Mangold was abused by Marcel Dareus yesterday.

then maybe a good old fashioned half time benching would do.  I could buy that

Did you miss that pathetic terrible INT that was dropped that he threw into triple coverage in the endzone?  That was a sh*t burger at its finest. 

He leaves the pocket to early bud...dont know what you're watching.  Both times he's come in he's done that.

Did you read my post ?? I went into detail about the endzone throw so Im not sure why your using that in an argument aganist me when I clearly stated it was a bad pass. Thing is JIF those are the kinds of Mistakes Rookies should be making from time to time. The ones Geno is making (just like Sanchez) are in a realm beyond rookie mistakes they are mistakes no QB on any level should make

For all Geno's faults, he won us 5 games.  Matt Simms will go out there, complete about 50 % of his throws, and give us nothing.  Geno is clearly a boom or bust guy.  At least he booms sometimes.  If you want victories, Geno, as bad as he's been, gives us the best chance.  Matt Simms is just awful.

do you wish elaborate on why matt simms is awful? I have see him play every snap this year and he didn't look awful to me

What pocket presence? Every single time Simms has come in the game the teams have rushed four and dropped everyone else into coverage. Even still, he ends up outside of the pocket more times than not. In both games that he's come in he's made horrendously poor decisions in throwing into double or triple coverage that should have been picked off. 

Through the first 7 games, Geno was actually at his best against the blitz, Pettine just gave him looks he's absolutely never seen and his defense beat the hell out of our guys, that can happen. Geno stepped up into the pocket on numerous occasions only to get flattened by Kyle Williams or Marcel Darreus. This is one of those games was so bad that most talent-evaluators and coaches will tell you that you can learn almost nothing from it.

Eventually, as Jets's fans, you have to sit back and realize that you can't say "oh lets draft a middle round QB and develop him" and not actually ever try to develop him. When you are learning on the fly, this is what that looks like.

Im seriously beginning to think you guys see one play and its all about that . Simms stepped into the pocket more often than not and did have a very nice drive for a TD where he stepped into the pocket and made plays. Does that not count ? Sure he moved out a few times but not what your describing. Over all I think he looked MUCH better than Geno in his decision making and his pocket presence and his mechanics. Simms 3 Geno 0

How can anyone say Simms is good or bad based on meaningless exhibition and mop up time in regular season. Now like it or not yourv drafted QB is going to get priority over an undrafted QB on any team.

your are 100 % correct until your highly drafted QB totally sh*ts the bed.

then maybe a good old fashioned half time benching would do.  I could buy that

This is logical, and probably what is going to happen in the near future.  The problem with it is the hook won't be used until Smith has thrown another 2 picks, and more then likely the Jets will be 2 or more scores behind, and Simms will have to come in cold, and have to play catch up football.  He isn't a rookie, but right now Smith has a lot more game experience then Simms.  

Simms will be at a major disadvantage not having even worked with the starters in practice.  Putting him a much tougher spot then Smith was ever in.

everyone keeps saying , "Big deal about Simms TD.  He was playing against a prevent defense"   Prevent D's are designed to stop a QB from getting a quick strike TD.  The point of them is to get the QB to make upfield throws that result in picks.

So if you want Geno replaced -take your beef to Rex and marty- and do not defend Rex if he sticks with Geno as a contradiction

this is a fair point...  im a Rex supporter who has seen enough of Geno... but serious question who actually decides the starting QB? Idzik's comments in July leads us to believe it's not Rex Ryan making this call. And that's a problem with the way the Jets are constructed. It's not just a problem for 2013, it's a problem for whoever the next coach is gonna be, to get used to not having that level of power.

Mangold did have a rough game but that first Dareus hit, the one that caused Geno to check out, was actually on Austin Howard. 

It is the life in the NFl-undrafted means you are a bottom feeder-Rex is not going to change QB's until Geno completely shows he is awful. that is what you get from being the drafted QB

Lots of low drafted/not drafted QB's have made it. I also feel that Geno has been bad enough to be benched at this point.

Lots of low drafted/not drafted QB's have made it. I also feel that Geno has been bad enough to be benched at this point.

So Rex is at fault in your opinion if no change is made- right? Or you have this conspiracy theory that Bit has that Idzik is dictating everything

Mangold did have a rough game but that first Dareus hit, the one that caused Geno to check out, was actually on Austin Howard. 

Yes it was - but neither of them had the crap day that Winters had. I'm hoping that kid can get better cause he sure sucks now and we already have our spare FB/TE in Vlad.

So Rex is at fault in your opinion if no change is made- right? Or you have this conspiracy theory that Bit has that Idzik is dictating everything

I will take it ever farther than that. Whoever thought it was a good idea to leave Geno in as long as they did against Buffalo should be heavily criticized. I'm not sure if it is Idzik or Rex. Rex was overly loyal to Sanchez. Rex is falling off my list of guys that should stick around at this point. Everytime I feel like he turns a corner, he does something stupid.

Yes it was - but neither of them had the crap day that Winters had. I'm hoping that kid can get better cause he sure sucks now and we already have our spare FB/TE in Vlad.

I don't think Winters will get better either cause he's just not strong enough right now. Brian Winters in 3 years sure that's a viable option. Right now Vlad might actually be better. It depends if he can cut down on the penalties. Winters is being used out there. 

What I'm afraid of is if Idzik won't give Rex permission to bench Geno. Benching Geno doesn't make Rex look bad, it makes Idzik look bad, if one of his premier picks turns out to be a bust, questions already surround his pick of Milliner. Somehow, if Geno was a pick of Tanny's I don't think he is given the benefit of the doubt and Simms might be starting already.

As I've said in other threads, I'm done with buying into the anointing of quarterbacks, it's stupid, and based more on cult of personality than football. Geno is not our leader, he doesn't have the performance to command the respect a leader usually receives from his teammates. We cannot be competitive with this disaster QB play, some of you will want to pin this on Rex, but that doesn't hold water, I've never seen a coach plagued by QB play this bad over two quarterbacks in his time here. Rex deserves blame when he deserves blame, but not to a high degree in games like yesterday. I don't care if you have Vince Lombardi as your coach, you will not be competitive let alone win when your QB plays that bad. We'd have been better off doing wild cat runs the entire game than what Geno showed up with.

I was thinking of buying tickets to one of the remaining games this year, but no way do I waste a Sunday in the meadow lands if I can expect a performance like yesterday. Start Matt Simms, at least give him a shot until he performs worse than Geno has.

I will take it ever farther than that. Whoever thought it was a good idea to leave Geno in as long as they did against Buffalo should be heavily criticized. I'm not sure if it is Idzik or Rex. 

the fact that Idzik drafted Geno and Rex wants another contract from Idzik has made this whole situation unworkable. Matt Simms might actually be the better QB. I know this probably sounds insane but that's where we are with Geno. 

I'll add this, when Simms got his potential second TD to Hill tipped and incomplete, he looked visibly pissed, he showed some fire I haven't seen from Geno thus far. I never saw fire from Sanchez either, maybe it has to do with a feeling of entitlement from being drafted high.

the fact that Idzik drafted Geno and Rex wants another contract from Idzik has made this whole situation unworkable. Matt Simms might actually be the better QB. I know this probably sounds insane but that's where we are with Geno. 

It's not insane at all bro. I tend to agree with you. 

I'll add this, when Simms got his potential second TD to Hill tipped and incomplete, he looked visibly pissed, he showed some fire I haven't seen from Geno thus far. I never saw fire from Sanchez either, maybe it has to do with a feeling of entitlement from being drafted high.

Agreed. Also the team responded to Simms being in there. Which not only says that they may like Simms more, it may also make all those WV players were right and Geno is not a leader, and perhaps even disliked.

What I'm afraid of is if Idzik won't give Rex permission to bench Geno. Benching Geno doesn't make Rex look bad, it makes Idzik look bad, if one of his premier picks turns out to be a bust, questions already surround his pick of Milliner. Somehow, if Geno was a pick of Tanny's I don't think he is given the benefit of the doubt and Simms might be starting already.

As I've said in other threads, I'm done with buying into the anointing of quarterbacks, it's stupid, and based more on cult of personality than football. Geno is not our leader, he doesn't have the performance to command the respect a leader usually receives from his teammates. We cannot be competitive with this disaster QB play, some of you will want to pin this on Rex, but that doesn't hold water, I've never seen a coach plagued by QB play this bad over two quarterbacks in his time here. Rex deserves blame when he deserves blame, but not to a high degree in games like yesterday. I don't care if you have Vince Lombardi as your coach, you will not be competitive let alone win when your QB plays that bad. We'd have been better off doing wild cat runs the entire game than what Geno showed up with.

I was thinking of buying tickets to one of the remaining games this year, but no way do I waste a Sunday in the meadow lands if I can expect a performance like yesterday. Start Matt Simms, at least give him a shot until he performs worse than Geno has.

I dont get where you say if GENO was a Tanny pick, and he would be benched in favor of Simms, but yet Sanchez WAS a Tanny pick and Rex wouldnt bench that guy, even after he did his best Ryan Leaf imitations for weeks on end.

Did I miss something in your explanantion?

Archived