Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

Even though he is a good players coach and motivator.....

1.  The Jets are and have always been terrible after a big win.

2.  He has no clue about the offensive side of the ball.

3.  He falls in love with players and ignores when they underperform.

4.  Makes a comment like "maybe we'll play cover-2 all game"...actually, is it me, or do the Jets have defensive personel that even Herm Edwards would have succeeded with.  I bet the Jets could play the tampa two with the best of them right now, meanwhile were leaving guys like Milliner and Cro on islands?  WTF?  A starting four man front of Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Coples (with Pace, Ellis and Douzable rotating) would stop the run and pressure the QB.  Play two LBs Harris and Davis and 5 DBs  - Allen, Reed and Landry at S, Milliner and Cro at CB - that would make for an interesting version of the cover2.

5.  In the end, I think Rob Ryan is a better DC and has historically done more with less talent.

Lastly, we all know he's not getting fired after the season...but if he did - whose the new coach?

I vote for Lovie Smith and keep Mohrinweg.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.  Makes a comment like "maybe we'll play cover-2 all game"...actually, is it me, or do the Jets have defensive personel that even Herm Edwards would have succeeded with.  I bet the Jets could play the tampa two with the best of them right now, meanwhile were leaving guys like Milliner and Cro on islands?  WTF?  A starting four man front of Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Coples (with Pace, Ellis and Douzable rotating) would stop the run and pressure the QB.  Play two LBs Harris and Davis and 5 DBs  - Allen, Reed and Landry at S, Milliner and Cro at CB - that would make for an interesting version of the cover2.

5.  In the end, I think Rob Ryan is a better DC and has historically done more with less talent.

Lastly, we all know he's not getting fired after the season...but if he did - whose the new coach?

I pretty much agree with everything you stated, and my biggest complaint with REX has been that basically, he is one of the worst in game managers I have ever seen. His use of the clock, his timeouts, and challenges are puzzling and I thought he would improve but he is still awful.

Your points about the defense are well documented but in the end, REX is a very good, if not great D-coordinator, and players love to play for him, but when he needs to be tough and be a disciplinarian, he falls woefully short. Discipline on this team has always been a factor.

Rex's record is average and is basically on par with Herm, and Mangini, and both were shown the door, but for some reason, if you mention axing REX, all hell brakes loose.

If they do change (and I'm not sure thats the best move), then I would certainly want someone in the mold of Parcells.

I know people on this forum will go nuts, but my first choice would be NICK SABAN. Yeah, I know, he failed miserably at Miami, but if you look at Pete Carroll, he failed miserably too in the NFL for awhile, went to college, and now all of a sudden is a genious at Seattle. Sorry in advance but I would take SABAN in a heartbeat.

When you continually draft on one side of the ball, year after year, shouldn't that side be somewhat dominant?  With talent the Jets have on defense, I think there are probably at least 10 other guys in the league that could get similar results to Rex.  A good defensive coordinator is a guy who doesn't have first round picks all over the place and still gets results.  I think Rex has stacked the deck i his favor to look good at the expense of the rest of the team.  For that reason, I would agree with replacing him with an offensive minded head coach.

Slow LBs and no safety with speed or coverage ability is prototypical Tampa 2?

Our LB's arent slow. They're not Bowman and Willis but Davis is probably one of the faster LB's in football.

John Lynch wouldnt have a role in today's NFL. Dexter Jackson wasn't a great safety either. The Tampa 2 was built around the defensive line creating pressure on their own.

Fans crack me up.  Last week, lets extend him!!!!  This week, lets fire him!!!!

haha

If you dont have a QB in this league, it doesnt ******* matter who your coach is.  

Fire Rex hire Bill Walsh...you roll Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez out there on Sundays, you're going to lose a bunch of games because they cant take care of the ball.  

Kudos to Rex for being able to coach this team to playoff contention with the worst QB in the league.  Its very hard to do.

Fans crack me up. Last week, lets extend him!!!! This week, lets fire him!!!!

haha

If you dont have a QB in this league, it doesnt ******* matter who your coach is.

Fire Rex hire Bill Walsh...you roll Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez out there on Sundays, you're going to lose a bunch of games because they cant take care of the ball.

Kudos to Rex for being able to coach this team to playoff contention with the worst QB in the league. Its very hard to do.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking Geno Smith might play a little better if Bill Walsh was here. But, hey, our DEs play the run well! Extend!

Our LB's arent slow. They're not Bowman and Willis but Davis is probably one of the faster LB's in football.

John Lynch wouldnt have a role in today's NFL.

Ha.  Davis isn't slow.  The others are slugs.  John Lynch wouldn't have a role, but our safeties are more Lynch than guys that cover ground.  The Jets safeties are a bunch of bangers, Josh Bush (who appears to suck) and 47 year old Ed Reed.  Cromartie might be the player worst suited to cover 2 in the NFL. 

The Jets could have Bill Walsh running this team and the offense would still be atrocious. Not having a QB is on the GM (past and present) not on Rex.

We have a QB, a rookie who has shined at times and looked terrible other times.  Yesterday was one of the latter.

In the offseason there was discussion about the Jets maybe getting Nick Foles.  Most Jets fans thought that Foles sucked ass and wasn't worth bothering with after his rookie season.  Know any Jets fans who wouldn't mind having Foles now?

Ha.  Davis isn't slow.  The others are slugs.  John Lynch wouldn't have a role, but our safeties are more Lynch than guys that cover ground.  The Jets safeties are a bunch of bangers, Josh Bush (who appears to suck) and 47 year old Ed Reed.  Cromartie might be the player worst suited to cover 2 in the NFL. 

I think the general point is there's no reason for us to be sending sell out blitzes if our CB's cant play the ball in the air. Our offense sucks too much to give up big plays. Our talent is invested in the dline...let them earn it.

Did Bill ever have to coach the stupid out of a QB?

Seriously asking...

Actually, for all his QB coaching ability, Bill Walsh couldn't get anything out of Jim Plunkett, his college QB who was drafted high off his success at Stanford with Walsh as his coach.  Plunkett bombed out in NE, goes back to Walsh in San Francisco and got cut.  He went over to the Raiders and won two Super Bowls.

I don't know if Plunkett was stupid, but Walsh couldn't reach him and he played badly under Walsh.

Actually, for all his QB coaching ability, Bill Walsh couldn't get anything out of Jim Plunkett, his college QB who was drafted high off his success at Stanford with Walsh as his coach.  Plunkett bombed out in NE, goes back to Walsh in San Francisco and got cut.  He went over to the Raiders and won two Super Bowls.

I don't know if Plunkett was stupid, but Walsh couldn't reach him and he played badly under Walsh.

Thanks.  Seriously didnt know.

EAT IT TOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching Cotchery make plays seemingly every week now hurts. Rex got it wrong on that one. 

Rex or Tanny?  Losing track.  I've got a spreadsheet I'm keeping that I'll share at the end of his tenure.  

Two weeks to prep for a lesser team and were embarrassed. That's a fireable offense four years in.

Five years in, this is his fifth year.

Also, this kind of performance after a BYE week has become relative tradition with Rex.

1. "Always has been"? He won back-to-back road playoff games twice.

2. Does Sean Payton know anything about defense?

3. Every coach has their favorite players, I think Rex is making progress in this regard, though... he's benched some players this year.

1. "Always has been"? He won back-to-back road playoff games twice.

2. Does Sean Payton know anything about defense?

3. Every coach has their favorite players, I think Rex is making progress in this regard, though... he's benched some players this year.

In the NFL in 2013 you can get away with a coach like Payton who ignores defense and the inverse is not true. Thats just the reality of the NFL in 2013. 

In the NFL in 2013 you can get away with a coach like Payton who ignores defense and the inverse is not true. Thats just the reality of the NFL in 2013. 

Sean Payton doesn't ignore defense. In his tenure with the Saints he's hired Gregg Williams and Rob Ryan, both of whom have great resumes building excellent defenses. The Saints have also used high draft picks and free agency to acquire a good bit of talent on Def. 

Payton runs his whole team, just like Andy Reid, he just calls the offense in-game. Rex does the same thing on the defensive side of the ball in-game, there's nothing wrong with that, the issue with Rex is that he has ZERO awareness of anything else, while guys like Reid and Payton do in-fact stay plugged into the whole game.

Rex's strengths: defense scheming and play calling, team motivating

Rex's weaknesses: anything offense, anything special teams, clock managment, time out and challenge management, and team motivating

I list motivation in both because we routinely see him get the team way up for one game, then they come out dead flat for another. He's got this team bipolar in that regard.

Which is even more difficult to do.

EDIT-Alex Smith has an incredible record as starter in this league. You just have to know how to use what you have some times. Like most coaches in this league do.

Meh, you could make an argument either way.  I'd say coaching up the #1 overall pick 14 years into his career on a stacked team is easier than coaching straight stupid out of someone...but I dont know, never had to do it before.

Alex Smith is terrible. 

I have always been a big Rex supporter. Rex has done more with terrible QB play than most coaches could ever dream of doing, it's pretty much undeniable.

That said, my biggest problem with Rex is that we are deep into year 5,  and our QB situation is dreadful. I don't think Rex has ever believed he needs a top flight QB to win a SB. He is so egotistical about his defense, he really believes that an average offense will net him a SB.

While I think he is a top flight Defensive mind, I question whether or not he has really adapted to the modern NFL.

Now you can say this is the job of the GM, and while I agree, the HC absolutely must be screaming for a QB until he gets one. What we have seen is the opposite, he was not only content with Sanchez, but seemed to stand up for him. 

I honestly believe we think Rex would do great with a decent QB, but he thinks I would do great if I had a better secondary to go along with my great line.

The HC absolutely has to take some heat for the offensive situation after 5 years. If he cannot recognize that his GM is not getting an offense in place that can win, he needs to demand it. But Rex is fine with it as long as he gets corners and lineman.

I don't see how even the greatest Rex supporters in the world (Jif and JF80) miss this point, and deflect blame on the offense to everyone but Rex.

Archived