Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cue up something about how defense isn't as valuable as offense these days so this is still invalid. Or better yet, something about that makes him a DC.

Cue up something about how defense isn't as valuable as offense these days so this is still invalid. Or better yet, something about that makes him a DC.

Isnt this a bit unfair? Most of us that are in favor of not retaining REX have never said that the defense is not invaluable, and in most cases we give REX credit for creating a top 5 defense, but come on, we arent even demanding a Peyton Manning offense, or a Chip Kelley type offens, just some sort of offense that has to make our opponents D-coordinator, at least put together some type of plan, but right now, the D-coordinator we are facing each week might as well spend his week at Dave and Busters eating cheesburgers and washing them down with a 24 pack of Coors lite.

I agree 100%. Ive always said, give me a great QB and I can find a great coach anywhere. John Fox instantly became a genious when he got Peyton Manning, Brady made Bellichick a HOF, Elway won Shanahan 2 super-bowls etc.

All that being said, Can REX identify a GREAT QB? The way he put the bum from USC on a pedestal, and then had the audacity (with Tannenbaum) to actually extend him, makes me wonder if REX could actually identify a great QB. If they extended The USC bum, they must have thought he was a great QB as they paid him like one, and that scares the hell out of me with REX.

i dont know anymore love the rex played the D against brady maybe he is just a very good DC it makes me sad i like the guy but i guess since he is been here the only problem we had is we cant put up points  even against bad teams

i dont know anymore love the rex played the D against brady maybe he is just a very good DC it makes me sad i like the guy but i guess since he is been here the only problem we had is we cant put up points  even against bad teams

I agree with all your points. I like REX, he's fun, He's refreshingly honest at times, and I wish him all the best in his next gig as DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, but as a head coach, unless he becomes much more well rounded and willing to understand the nuances of game management, I dont see him ever succeeding at a very high level as a Head Coach.

Rex will land on his feet, and who knows, Idzik and Woody may decide after all to retain Rex, and then we would have to hope that progresses as a coach at a much faster rate than certainly the past 5 years, because to me, he seems to be making the same blatant mistakes he made when he first became Jets head coach.

While I agree many of the criticisms I've read on this thread I still think people are being more than a little short-sighted on firing Rex. He took us to 2 AFC title games w teams with mediocre to good talent. He's got us in the playoff hunt 10 games into a season where the jets were picked by ESPN to be the worst team in football.

Coaching makes a big difference in the NFL. I think we've got to give Rex his due here. Despite his bluster and failed Super Bowl promises he has produced. I'm not saying give him a long term extension or anything either. I'm just saying I'm still okay w him for now and would definitely be against firing him. Well unless there's an elite Parcells/Belichick caliber coach who we can get.

Isnt this a bit unfair? Most of us that are in favor of not retaining REX have never said that the defense is not invaluable, and in most cases we give REX credit for creating a top 5 defense, but come on, we arent even demanding a Peyton Manning offense, or a Chip Kelley type offens, just some sort of offense that has to make our opponents D-coordinator, at least put together some type of plan, but right now, the D-coordinator we are facing each week might as well spend his week at Dave and Busters eating cheesburgers and washing them down with a 24 pack of Coors lite.

Let Geno finish the season. He has this. 

I literally can't understand how Jets fans can look at this team and decide it's Rex that's holding them back. Rex is literally one of the only above average parts of this franchise. This roster was stripped down, they traded the best Jet since Joe Willy and without Rex they are that 2-3 win team everyone predicted them to be. 

Rex doesn't have to be "holding to team back" to not be the right decision moving forward.  Defensive mastermind, as you call him, has gotten blown out on defense multiple times.  It's easy to believe that whatever coach comes next, can still get production out of our 3 first round pick defensive line.

They did trade the best Jet since Joe Willy, but we've seen the team get blown out with Revis, and we've seen where he's landed and how much help it's given that team.  Unfortunately for your argument, the CB only covers one player, and so if Revis was here, Cromartie would be on the other side of him.  Cromartie has been abused by everyone, including 19th string Goodwin last week.  One CB is not the reason this defense is a mess.

I'm ok with firing firing Rex so long as they fire Idzik too. What you are saying by just firing only Rex is that this team drafted and signed players well - but the head coach didnt coach them well. Its simply not the case. 

You continue this narrative but the only mistake Idzik seems to have made was Milliner at this point.  Idzik's goal, and sorry, it didn't fall in line with yours, was not to take on any new bad contracts, and get through this year, having 54M in cap space next year.

Regardless of how Geno has played, when you have a terrible QB, and the guy who many consider to be the top prospect falls to you in the second round (your third pick), you take him.  Geno was the right decision, it just seems like it's not going to work out.

Richardson seems to be a tremendous pick.  He's an awesome player already.  And, if we don't trade Revis, he very likely isn't a Jet.

As for Revis, Tampa has 2 wins thus far.  And, it's not like he was solely responsible for them.  Rather than taking on another bad contract, he got a 1st round pick out of him, which turned into Richardson.

Now, as for lack of signings, who would you like the Jets to have signed this year?  Who was the difference maker that took this team to the next level?  I don't think that player existed, and I think all of the complaints are simply because people secretly miss Tannenbaum's mortgage the future for an extra win or two strategy.

there's a saying don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. the fact that Rex is "only" a defensive mastermind isn't a reason to fire him. the next guy could very well be a mastermind of nothing. And that's a step backward.

Do defensive masterminds get blown out this often?

I know Max likes post counts, but this story is pretty simple.  The team is 5-5.  There are plenty of reasons that he should be fired and plenty of reasons he should stay. Acting like it is a foregone conculsion at this point is silly.  If it is a foregone conclusion now,  it was at the start of the season.  That is certainly possible, but we have no way of knowing.

You're a pancake... No, was it a crepe?  A fruit salad?  Oh, yeah, YOU'RE A WAFFLE!!

I like how TS wonders "Outside of the DL" who has he developed? It's like saying outside of the Sistine Chapel and David, what has Michaelangelo ever done?  

The Jets have one of if not the best DL in football right now. It's so dominant that it can take over the game and beat teams like NO without any sort of functional passing offense. 

The only think that needs to be "cue'd up" here is that it's a bunch of first round picks.  If you invest that much in resources in the first round, it SHOULD be good.  You can't knock Rex for the defensive line, but he also needs to accomplish something with picks that aren't in the first round.  You only get so many of those.

Do defensive masterminds get blown out this often?

in all of the blowouts the offense committed multiple turnovers, including pick 6s (sometimes more than one pick 6). even in the wins like Pats, geno is throwing pick 6. if you take away the points that the JETS offense gives the other team, the Jets never actually get blown out.

Let Geno finish the season. He has this.

I have no doubt Geno will finish the season, and as a Jet fan, I am hoping for a miraculous turnaround from his pathetic form of late, but I also waited 4 years for that same miracle to occurr with the bum from USC. Hmm, do miracles happen to the Jets? Yeah once, January 12th, 1969.

The only think that needs to be "cue'd up" here is that it's a bunch of first round picks.  If you invest that much in resources in the first round, it SHOULD be good.  You can't knock Rex for the defensive line, but he also needs to accomplish something with picks that aren't in the first round.  You only get so many of those.

another BS line of reasoning because it neglects the stories like Pouha, Snacks, Devito and other "nobodies" that Rex coached up. Yes it's easy to play with Mo Wilkerson but no one salvages DL careers like Rex.

As for Revis, Tampa has 2 wins thus far.  And, it's not like he was solely responsible for them.  Rather than taking on another bad contract, he got a 1st round pick out of him, which turned into Richardson.

Darrelle REvis is the best CB in football, still. Cro is like 107 out of 108 and Dee is 100. Btw they didn't need to take on another bad contract to keep Revis. He was already under contract and not only that but he had a clause in his contract that forbid him to hold out again. They could have kept Revis, played out the string and either tried to resign him after the season or just enjoy the extra cap room to sign vets (trading revis created 5 mil dead cap space more than keeping him). If Revis is worth another win or two this season, that makes the 2013 Jets a sure playoff team. Meanwhile they could have easily gotten Sheldon Richardson too. 

The only good pick Idzik made by the way. Dee sucks, Geno sucks and Winters sucks. These guys might not suck in 5 years or whatever but they blow goats now.

27th in PPG, FWIW

Look, everyone knows that I dont want Idzik to retain REX and I will point out any faults that he has (ad nauseum), but even a Rex basher like me knows that the PPG stat, has been hugely inflated by the fact that our QB (just like his predecessor), continually gift wraps points for the opposing team.

I would like to see the stat they keep on how many points GENO has helped the opposition , and how many points he has taken away from the JETS. Like his predecessor who continually led the NFL in those stats, I would assume GENO is near the top in both categories.

Now if you want to make the argument, that any QB in REX's Archaic offense, will lead the NFL in those stats, I would be more than willing to listen to that argument, but when the other team is not giftwrapped points and field position, Rex's defense is as solid as any in the NFL.

The Jets could have Bill Walsh running this team and the offense would still be atrocious. Not having a QB is on the GM (past and present) not on Rex.

Rex was RIGHT THERE when Tanny was scouting Sanchez and at the dinner where Sanchez "wowed" them BOTH. So, yes it IS on Rex and he should have been shown the door right along with Tannenbaum. Woody Johnson did a HUGE disservice to Tanny by making HIM the LONE scapegoat.

Look, everyone knows that I dont want Idzik to retain REX and I will point out any faults that he has (ad nauseum), but even a Rex basher like me knows that the PPG stat, has been hugely inflated by the fact that our QB (just like his predecessor), continually gift wraps points for the opposing team.

I would like to see the stat they keep on how many points GENO has helped the opposition , and how many points he has taken away from the JETS. Like his predecessor who continually led the NFL in those stats, I would assume GENO is near the top in both categories.

Now if you want to make the argument, that any QB in REX's Archaic offense, will lead the NFL in those stats, I would be more than willing to listen to that argument, but when the other team is not giftwrapped points and field position, Rex's defense is as solid as any in the NFL.

Rex's defense IS almost as solid as any in the league except for a secondary with TWO FIRST ROUND draft picks that can cover NO ONE. Kyle Wilson almost never sees the field now and Milliner is burned toast out there. Quintin Coples is another first round pick that has not reached his 'potential' as yet. People act as if Rex is some kind of miracle worker on defense and there is no doubt that he will be an NFL DC very soon after Idzik kicks him to the curb. But he has no business being in charge of the NY Jets.

in all of the blowouts the offense committed multiple turnovers, including pick 6s (sometimes more than one pick 6). even in the wins like Pats, geno is throwing pick 6. if you take away the points that the JETS offense gives the other team, the Jets never actually get blown out.

Sure.  But, when we throw terms around like "MASTERMIND", I think they should carry a bit more gravity than what this team puts forth.  The Bengals game, regardless of what the offense did, was no defensive mastermind performance.

I think you were also and Dierking was a Rexapologist.  I prefer to be French Toast myself. 

I think you are supposed to subtract the pick 6's before you blame the defense. 

Of course it's inflated by the pick sixes.  But that number is still pretty terrible.  Also, our offense helps the defense out in yards if you want to be technical... Other teams always playing with a short field.  Pick sixes even keep their offense off the field.  Very imperfect stat, still telling.

Sure.  But, when we throw terms around like "MASTERMIND", I think they should carry a bit more gravity than what this team puts forth.  The Bengals game, regardless of what the offense did, was no defensive mastermind performance.

a football team is comprised of an offense and a defense you can't just say "regardless of what the offense did" if the offense doesn't get first downs and doesn't respond and doesn't score points it's foolish to blame the defense. If memory serves the only good play all day in the Bengals game was MO's INT. The defense has heart even when they lose. 

Darrelle REvis is the best CB in football, still. Cro is like 107 out of 108 and Dee is 100. Btw they didn't need to take on another bad contract to keep Revis. He was already under contract and not only that but he had a clause in his contract that forbid him to hold out again. They could have kept Revis, played out the string and either tried to resign him after the season or just enjoy the extra cap room to sign vets (trading revis created 5 mil dead cap space more than keeping him). If Revis is worth another win or two this season, that makes the 2013 Jets a sure playoff team. Meanwhile they could have easily gotten Sheldon Richardson too. 

The only good pick Idzik made by the way. Dee sucks, Geno sucks and Winters sucks. These guys might not suck in 5 years or whatever but they blow goats now.

According to your numbers, Revis was like 25... So, you use metrics for some, and ignore them for others.  I agree that our CBs suck and Revis is better.  What's the point.  Just like on the Bucs, Revis can only defend one guy.  Cro is getting burned by street FAs, so why would we assume he could cover teams #2.  Our secondary would still suck with Revis, that's the point, because you can avoid Revis.  Just like good teams did to us regularly.

Could have kept Revis, yes.  But you would have given him up for nothing then.  And, we got something for him, which we turned into Richardson.  We've already seen that you're wrong about how much value Revis adds by looking at the TB team, so it's better to get something.  So, at the end of this year, we'd lose Revis anyway.  Could we have orchestrated something perfectly with 20/20 hindsight?  Sure.  But, we don't get to play GM in reverse.  If Milliner develops into solid starter, we don't even have this conversation.  Do I think he will, maybe not.  But, suddenly the guy who talks about Bryan Thomas and James Farrior in preaching patience is ready to bus guys after a handful of starts.  Seems a bit hypocritical.

Milliner Sucks... Geno was the right pick because we needed a developmental QB, he shouldn't be starting but we had no choice.  Plenty of people thought Sanchez, the #5 pick who we traded up for, should have sat.  But, the spread offense 2nd rounder should be ready to go day one?  Again, seems a bit hypocritical... Winters is a 3rd rounder who should get more than a half a season to show where he can go, and is only starting because your guy sucks so bad...

a football team is comprised of an offense and a defense you can't just say "regardless of what the offense did" if the offense doesn't get first downs and doesn't respond and doesn't score points it's foolish to blame the defense. If memory serves the only good play all day in the Bengals game was MO's INT. The defense has heart even when they lose. 

Mo Wilkerson being awesome doesn't excuse a complete lack of coverage.  And, if we fired Rex, does 1st round pick Wilkerson suddenly become Gholston?  Or, maybe he's just a good player.

Rex's defense IS almost as solid as any in the league except for a secondary with TWO FIRST ROUND draft picks that can cover NO ONE. Kyle Wilson almost never sees the field now and Milliner is burned toast out there. Quintin Coples is another first round pick that has not reached his 'potential' as yet. People act as if Rex is some kind of miracle worker on defense and there is no doubt that he will be an NFL DC very soon after Idzik kicks him to the curb. But he has no business being in charge of the NY Jets.

No argument from me on any of these points. Good D-coordinator? YES ,Terrible head coach? YES Simple as that.

When you adjust for the fact that nothing is ever his fault, Rex is technically undefeated as a head coach.

Yes.  But how does that control for the fact that when you adjust for weeks that Rex was unprepared, the Jets are technically undefeated as a franchise these last 5 years?

So, at the end of this year, we'd lose Revis anyway.  Could we have orchestrated something perfectly with 20/20 hindsight?  Sure.  But, we don't get to play GM in reverse.  

It's only GM'ing in hindsight if you thought trading Revis was a great move.  They will have 50 mil in cap space when this is all said and done they had room for the best cornerback in football, what they lacked was the will to pay him. 

Archived