Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

So stop trying to get anything more than a horrible QB?

no way... draft one every year. but you brought up the Saints as an example as a previously mediocre franchise that turned it around with a new coach... and it wasn't all that simple

btw Rex Ryan outcoached Sean Payton like 2 weeks ago.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no way... draft one every year. but you brought up the Saints as an example as a previously mediocre franchise that turned it around with a new coach... and it wasn't all that simple

btw Rex Ryan outcoached Sean Payton like 2 weeks ago.

Payton also has a super bowl ring and will be playing LONG after the Jet season is over this year. 

5 years off having the worst Qb in the league and you really dont think Rex gets that you need a good QB?

Okay....

He knows damn well he'd have multiple SB's with a real QB.   

Serous question, did you ever see Mark Sanchez play? If I was a HC in the league, and that guy was my QB, I would be screaming on the phone every minute of every day to anyone who would listen to get me a real QB. Rex did the opposite with Sanchez.

So to answer your question, yes, I really don't think he believes he needs a good QB. I think he believes he needs a good running game, and a great defense. I really do.

We are talking about the man who hired Tony Sporano, who may go down as the worst OC in the history of OC's, and stuck with and supported Mark Sanchez, the worst QB in the history of QB's. And I like Rex.

Serous question, did you ever see Mark Sanchez play? If I was a HC in the league, and that guy was my QB, I would be screaming on the phone every minute of every day to anyone who would listen to get me a real QB. Rex did the opposite with Sanchez.

So to answer your question, yes, I really don't think he believes he needs a good QB. I think he believes he needs a good running game, and a great defense. I really do.

We are talking about the man who hired Tony Sporano, who may go down as the worst OC in the history of OC's, and stuck with and supported Mark Sanchez, the worst QB in the history of QB's. And I like Rex.

You're right.  Rex doesnt know he needs a good QB. 

smh

I have always been a big Rex supporter. Rex has done more with terrible QB play than most coaches could ever dream of doing, it's pretty much undeniable.

That said, my biggest problem with Rex is that we are deep into year 5,  and our QB situation is dreadful. I don't think Rex has ever believed he needs a top flight QB to win a SB. He is so egotistical about his defense, he really believes that an average offense will net him a SB.

While I think he is a top flight Defensive mind, I question whether or not he has really adapted to the modern NFL.

Now you can say this is the job of the GM, and while I agree, the HC absolutely must be screaming for a QB until he gets one. What we have seen is the opposite, he was not only content with Sanchez, but seemed to stand up for him. 

I honestly believe we think Rex would do great with a decent QB, but he thinks I would do great if I had a better secondary to go along with my great line.

The HC absolutely has to take some heat for the offensive situation after 5 years. If he cannot recognize that his GM is not getting an offense in place that can win, he needs to demand it. But Rex is fine with it as long as he gets corners and lineman.

I don't see how even the greatest Rex supporters in the world (Jif and JF80) miss this point, and deflect blame on the offense to everyone but Rex.

Great Points! I believe it happened ONCE when Rex was with Baltimore as DC and the QB was a current ESPN analyst. This miracle scenario will probably not happen in our lifetime again.

I look back at the past 10-15 years of SB winning QB's in the now "modern" NFL with high octane up-tempo offense and I see names like P. Manning, E. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Warner, Favre etc. ALL pretty much Franchise type Qbs.

I believe besides Dilfer and the Ravens, you have to go back to Gruden at TB with a retread at Qb.

Until REX bites the bullet (or is fired), and admits that he cant win consistently until he gets a Franchise type QB, then we as Jet fans are relagated to complete mediocrity.

IF Geno isnt the answer, draft another, and if he doesnt work out, draft another But try as hard as possible to finally get a guy that can carry a team, no matter how bad all the other parts are.

Great Points! I believe it happened ONCE when Rex was with Baltimore as DC and the QB was a current ESPN analyst. This miracle scenario will probably not happen in our lifetime again.

I look back at the past 10-15 years of SB winning QB's in the now "modern" NFL with high octane up-tempo offense and I see names like P. Manning, E. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Warner, Favre etc. ALL pretty much Franchise type Qbs.

I believe besides Dilfer and the Ravens, you have to go back to Gruden at TB with a retread at Qb.

Until REX bites the bullet (or is fired), and admits that he cant win consistently until he gets a Franchise type QB, then we as Jet fans are relagated to complete mediocrity.

IF Geno isnt the answer, draft another, and if he doesnt work out, draft another But try as hard as possible to finally get a guy that can carry a team, no matter how bad all the other parts are.

Admits?  WTF?  Are you serious?  Is the guy sitting around saying "Oh no, don't bother getting me a QB Mr. GM Man.  I am fine with what we have."  ?  Where do you people get this sh*t? 

Geno Smith was 8-19 (42% comp rate) for a QB rating of 14.8. 

So... no. 

He didn't turn the ball over while Brees had 2 INTs. Brees collected yards in garbage time.

Smith was the better qb that night. He engineered a 2 minute drive at the end of the first half and scored the TD that changed the game around.

Admits?  WTF?  Are you serious?  Is the guy sitting around saying "Oh no, don't bother getting me a QB Mr. GM Man.  I am fine with what we have."  ?  Where do you people get this sh*t? 

Rex Ryan late 2011 - "As long as I am the HC of the NYJ Mark Sanchez will be my starting QB."

What articles or quotes do you have showing that Rex asked the FO for someone more than Brunell as back-up to push Sanchez?

When did Rex try changing qb coaches?

Hahaha.  Articles and quotes?  Rex says entirely too much sh*t, but not bad mouthing your GM or team is NFL coaching 101.  He gets that right and you geniuses want to bash him for it.  Makes perfect sense. 

Maybe when Rex said he should have gone to Favre's house and camped out?  I don't know.  Unlike the collective genius that is Jetnation I don't put too much stock in what Rex says. 

No I dont think that, but judging by most of his drafts (and Tannebaum must also take some blame), that he continues to simply stack the defense, pretty much telling the fan base that he can win with a great defense, and the other parts can be mediocre at best. I think back in the "old" NFL this may have worked but in the "modern" NFL, you need a franchise type gunslinger.

Bellichick is the classic example, He was a mediocre coach at best and gets BRADY and now he is a hall of famer.

Sorry but REX's ego and attitude that all he needs is a top 5 D and I can win must change or as I said, we are relagated to mediocrity.

He didn't turn the ball over while Brees had 2 INTs. Brees collected yards in garbage time.

Smith was the better qb that night. He engineered a 2 minute drive at the end of the first half and scored the TD that changed the game around.

dude... Brees had 380+ yards passing. Cmon. 

Hahaha.  Articles and quotes?  Rex says entirely too much sh*t, but not bad mouthing your GM or team is NFL coaching 101.  He gets that right and you geniuses want to bash him for it.  Makes perfect sense. 

Maybe when Rex said he should have gone to Favre's house and camped out?  I don't know.  Unlike the collective genius that is Jetnation I don't put too much stock in what Rex says. 

A ctions speak louder than words.

You think it was Tannenbaum that dictated that Brunell needed to be the back up on this team? It was Tannenbaum that dictated to Rex never to bench Sanchez in game and leave him the de facto starter?

Your blind allegiance takes you this far?

5-5 with the dog meat he has on offense isn't terrible

the 2 games vs miami in december will decide his fate I think

No 5-5 with that offense is GREAT, almost unbelieveable BUT that is what we will be every year: Mediocre and people will continually praise REX for keeping the Jets "in the hunt" because he has a top 5 D, but in reality, thats our ceiling, complete mediocrity, until he at least trys to fix the other side of the ball , and get a franchise type QB.

How long will we let REX slide with the excuse: Well my offense is pathetic so I am doing a great job "keeping us in the hunt"? This has to stop sooner or later.

No I dont think that, but judging by most of his drafts (and Tannebaum must also take some blame), that he continues to simply stack the defense, pretty much telling the fan base that he can win with a great defense, and the other parts can be mediocre at best. I think back in the "old" NFL this may have worked but in the "modern" NFL, you need a franchise type gunslinger.

Bellichick is the classic example, He was a mediocre coach at best and gets BRADY and now he is a hall of famer.

Sorry but REX's ego and attitude that all he needs is a top 5 D and I can win must change or as I said, we are relagated to mediocrity.

1.  He is not supposed to run the draft

2.  In five years here they have spent a first, two seconds, a fourth, a sixth, Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff and Abram Elam on QBs. 

A ctions speak louder than words.

You think it was Tannenbaum that dictated that Brunell needed to be the back up on this team? It was Tannenbaum that dictated to Rex never to bench Sanchez in game and leave him the de facto starter?

Your blind allegiance takes you this far?

My allegiance has way more vision than your hate, but to answer your questions:

Yes and no.  I don't think Rex picked Brunell and even if he did, I still think that is on the GM.  I think Brunell, Clemens and whichever 3rd stringer they had was worse than Sanchez and no reason to bench him to get worse. I am sure he hated Tebow and if the team had kept Drew Stanton he might have pulled the trigger sooner since Stanton is considerably better than McElroy. 

My allegiance has way more vision than your hate, but to answer your questions:

Yes and no.  I don't think Rex picked Brunell and even if he did, I still think that is on the GM.  I think Brunell, Clemens and whichever 3rd stringer they had was worse than Sanchez and no reason to bench him to get worse. I am sure he hated Tebow and if the team had kept Drew Stanton he might have pulled the trigger sooner since Stanton is considerably better than McElroy. 

You think you have more vision-Shocking!

who is the Drew Brees that is gonna get signed next year and rescue the franchise? Jay Cutler ?

Drew Brees wasn't a cut and dry case. He was coming off a major injury and the Chargers were done with him,  wanted a young Rivers to take over,  the Dolphins picked Culpepper over Brees and other teams were staying away due to that injury.     Drew Brees wasn't a HOF QB when the Saints signed him.   He's now one of the best QBs. That's part on him having something to prove, but it's also because Payton is one hell of a coach.     He also takes chances that win more games than lose them.  In the super bowl, the onside kick.  Yesterday calling timeouts before the two minute warning.     Most coaches are too afraid to make those calls.   They don't want to be ridiculed if those moves don't work out I guess.   Hell, even BB has made controversial calls over the years.  

Many times those things don't work out, many times they do.   But there are far too many coaches like Rex who just would rather hand the ball off and run it up the middle all game long.  Honestly if you were around during the Buddy Ryan Eagles era,  Rex is so similar to his father it's not funny.  Except the Eagles had a talented offense.  But Buddy wanted nothing to do with the offense,  he just didn't want them to turn the ball over.   The defense wins.   It was a different era, but the same philosophy.  Fast forward to now and Rex has that same stubborn, run the ball 100 times, and hope the defense wins.      The problem is Rex's teams never had defenses like the Eagles and they never had the offense like the Eagles.   But Rex runs the same damn philosophy.   If they could get away with running the ball 90 percent of the time, they'd do it.   

Maybe Geno sucks, but at some point you win or lose with the kid.   They did the same thing with Sanchez.  He sucks, but there were games where he'd throw 15 times.   

It's 2013.   Teams score. QBs throw.   Some games the defense plays out of their mind and they beat the Saints.  Other games the defense isn't on and they give up 37 points.  When you can't score more than 14 points most games,  you aren't going to win many games no matter how good the defense is and the Jets defense is overrated as hell this year.  

People complain that the Jets have a rookie QB and no threats on offense.   Well the Bills have a rookie QB who has missed half this season due to injury and a bunch of rookies and scrubs playing yesterday.   Somehow the Jets defense looked terrible long before Geno looked like he bet on the Bills to win.

I like a lot of what Rex has done, but his teams have been consistently bad at times.   The Steelers AFC Championship game where they didn't show up for 3 quarters.   Last year the team giving up at the end of the season.  The year before where they just fell apart as the season wore down.   And this year,  they win a big game, and then wind up getting blown out.   It's not that they are losing, but how they lose.   If they lost 23-17 or something, it's one of those 'got outplayed' and you tip your hat.   But the Bills looked like the Broncos yesterday.   They aren't the broncos no matter what excuses people make.   The Jets looked like a team who never showed up.  That is on the HC and the rest of the staff.  And it's especially on them when this seems to be a normal occurrence. 

You think you have more vision-Shocking!

You contradict yourself constantly.  The only acceptable thing is winning the big one, yet Parcells and Alex Smith are held up as paragons of the NFL. You hate parity and it is the cause of the Jets beating powerhouses like the Pats and Saints, but Rex Ryan's failings cause losses to the Bills and Bengals.  Rex hates/doesn't care about offense, yet he is strictly on the hook for drafting and starting Sanchez.  Don't even get me started on luck! Is vision being able to see both sides of  coin and blame Rex for both? 

Did Bill ever have to coach the stupid out of a QB?

Seriously asking...

No because Bill Walsh understood the concept of surrounding your QB with talent. And lots of it. Jets have yet to understand this concept in any way shape or form the last 14 years.

No because Bill Walsh understood the concept of surrounding your QB with talent. And lots of it. Jets have yet to understand this concept in any way shape or form the last 14 years.

agree, than when the QB sucks everyone is appalled and blames the QB. I have read on this very forum how great Matty Ice is, without Jones and White, does not look so great, and still has more weapons than Jet QB's have been throwing to for the last 10+ years.

agree, than when the QB sucks everyone is appalled and blames the QB. I have read on this very forum how great Matty Ice is, without Jones and White, does not look so great, and still has more weapons than Jet QB's have been throwing to for the last 10+ years.

Or maybe Matt Ryan isn't really a that good of a QB?  What exactly has he won in the NFL, 1 playoff game?

You contradict yourself constantly.  The only acceptable thing is winning the big one, yet Parcells and Alex Smith are held up as paragons of the NFL. You hate parity and it is the cause of the Jets beating powerhouses like the Pats and Saints, but Rex Ryan's failings cause losses to the Bills and Bengals.  Rex hates/doesn't care about offense, yet he is strictly on the hook for drafting and starting Sanchez.  Don't even get me started on luck! Is vision being able to see both sides of  coin and blame Rex for both? 

-Never held up Alex Smith as a paragon-Just showed that you can win in this NFL with mediocre QB talent.

-I love to insert Parcells into a dialogue, because I know it gets you so roiled up.

-The NFL has parity unlike anything before, and it is causing a lot of close games. Personally, I like the dynasty era. Just my preference. This really has no bearing on Rex and co.

-Never said Rex was "strictly on the hook" for Sanchez, but I do believe he had insight and say into the pick. Along with who pushed and nurtured that pick.

Please don't put words or premises in my mouth or on my ledger. You do it very poorly.

Archived