Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

Main issue I have with Rex is his inability to know when to change what's not working. Been getting burned all year on deep ball yet he has no adjusted. The players love em, and by the looks of it the GM does too as does woody. If he can learn to know when to fold'em and change his scheme a bit to fit what personel he has, this team would go further.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you continually draft on one side of the ball, year after year, shouldn't that side be somewhat dominant? With talent the Jets have on defense, I think there are probably at least 10 other guys in the league that could get similar results to Rex. A good defensive coordinator is a guy who doesn't have first round picks all over the place and still gets results. I think Rex has stacked the deck i his favor to look good at the expense of the rest of the team. For that reason, I would agree with replacing him with an offensive minded head coach.

Bull crap. It's not the positional allocation. Sanchez, Keller, Hill are all busts. Holmes and Edwards weren't sustainable trades for picks either.

Bull crap. It's not the positional allocation. Sanchez, Keller, Hill are all busts. Holmes and Edwards weren't sustainable trades for picks either.

You have as many former first round picks in the defensive backfield as you have on the entire offense and that's to say nothing about the high draft picks all over the defensive line.

I fully expected this, but you guys act like he rides or dies with whoever he brought in and he obviously didn't do that with Sparano.  The guy was canned before they even got a GM. 

Its funny, you look at the positive as him firing Sporano quickly. I think the fact that he hired him is incredibly concerning. I have heard trusted people say that Sporano was one of the worst OC's in the history of the NFL. From his play design, to his playcalling. How Rex vetted that guy out and thought it was an appropriate hire is incredibly concerning. Not firing the guy on the spot would have been impossible, he was that bad.

Its funny, you look at the positive as him firing Sporano quickly. I think the fact that he hired him is incredibly concerning. I have heard trusted people say that Sporano was one of the worst OC's in the history of the NFL. From his play design, to his playcalling. How Rex vetted that guy out and thought it was an appropriate hire is incredibly concerning. Not firing the guy on the spot would have been impossible, he was that bad.

I hated Sparano as much as anybody, but Parcells vetted the guy and thought he was an appropriate hire too.  I'm willing to bet the Parcells ties had plenty do with that hire.  

Man, this apologist crap is disturbing. 

At the end of 2010, nobody was calling Sanchez or Keller busts. Plenty of people hated Sanchez with a passion, and maybe thought he was not very good, but to call him a bust at the end of 2010 would have been flat out stupid.

The problem was in 2011 when they decided they were going to have a slot receiver be the only receiving threat on the team, let Edwards walk pre-injury, and let the O-line start the holographic Tackle. They replaced Edwards with a fresh out of jail Plaxico, who was not in the league the next year he was so bad, let Cotchery go and replaced him with Mason, also not in the league the following year. Holmes is a very talented slot receiver, he is NOT an X receiver, and never was.

Instead they decided to go after Asomgua, which failed miserably.

Without Revis, Rex's defense has been average, no more than average. He has a dominating D-line, and a secondary loaded with first round draft picks.

The fact that we are in year 5 of Rex, and we have no passing game whatsoever is a direct hit on his team building philosophy, to say anything else is a flat out apology.

I believe the HC should be able to set that strategy, and if he wins with that strategy, great, but you don't get to set the strategy, and then get a pass when that strategy won't cut it in the NFL.

At the end of 2010, nobody was calling Sanchez or Keller busts. Plenty of people hated Sanchez with a passion, and maybe thought he was not very good, but to call him a bust at the end of 2010 would have been flat out stupid.

The problem was in 2011 when they decided they were going to have a slot receiver be the only receiving threat on the team, let Edwards walk pre-injury, and let the O-line start the holographic Tackle. They replaced Edwards with a fresh out of jail Plaxico, who was not in the league the next year he was so bad, let Cotchery go and replaced him with Mason, also not in the league the following year. Holmes is a very talented slot receiver, he is NOT an X receiver, and never was.

Without Revis, Rex's defense has been average, no more than average. He has a dominating D-line, and a secondary loaded with first round draft picks.

The fact that we are in year 5 of Rex, and we have no passing game whatsoever is a direct hit on his team building philosophy, to say anything else is a flat out apology.

I believe the HC should be able to set that strategy, and if he wins with that strategy, great, but you don't get to set the strategy, and then get a pass when that strategy won't cut it in the NFL.

Great post, but you're completely discounting how much Bill Parcells screwed up Rex's ability to dominate.

I hated Sparano as much as anybody, but Parcells vetted the guy and thought he was an appropriate hire too.  I'm willing to bet the Parcells ties had plenty do with that hire.  

Parcells also recommended we hire Terry Badway as our GM, who than brought in Herm, who took a team built to be 3-4 defense and a great vertical passing game and turned it into a 4-3 Tampa cover 2, and a WCO. You cant make that stuff up. As far as I am concerned, Parcells is one of the great HC's of all time, but any decisions or recommendations he makes on someone else as a HC are worthless at best. Rex should not need Parcells to vet anyone as his OC, he needs to make that decision on his own if he is going to be a HC in this league.

Everyone thinks he was saddled with Schitty, and he may have been, but it is also quite possible that he just did not know enough or care enough to make that call on his own.

Great post, but you're completely discounting how much Bill Parcells screwed up Rex's ability to dominate.

I hate having to call out a HC in Rex that I actually like. But the blind love for Rex without seeing huge glaring flaws, while pointing the blame at everyone BUT Rex is creepy. It is like teenage girls and their love affair with Justin Beaver or whatever the crap they call that dude.

Parcells also recommended we hire Terry Badway as our GM, who than brought in Herm, who took a team built to be 3-4 defense and a great vertical passing game and turned it into a 4-3 Tampa cover 2, and a WCO. You cant make that stuff up. As far as I am concerned, Parcells is one of the great HC's of all time, but any decisions or recommendations he makes on someone else as a HC are worthless at best. Rex should not need Parcells to vet anyone as his OC, he needs to make that decision on his own if he is going to be a HC in this league.

Everyone thinks he was saddled with Schitty, and he may have been, but it is also quite possible that he just did not know enough or care enough to make that call on his own.

Keeping Schottenhiemer was a part of the job description.  I don't think that was the right move.  The same goes for Idzik keeping Rex.  I don't think it works out well for the power structure.  I hate Parcells, everybody knows that.  My point is not that Sparano deserved to be vetted, but that Parcells, a good football guy by any account, also liked him.  I think that Woody leans on Parcells guys a bit too much myself. 

I don't apologize for anybody.  I like Rex.  He has value.  They could fire him right now and they have reason, but there are also reasons to keep him.  You want to blame him for a bunch of things that we aren't sure were in his power - Sanchez, no viable backup QB, poor offensive coaching prior to 2012, lack of talent on O, poor drafting and lack of depth.  Rex MAY be to blamed for these things and he may not.  Woody and Idzik SHOULD know. 

Great post and spot on. Again, the REX apologists will point to how great a job he is doing to even keep this team competitive and mediocre, with an offense that is an abomination in todays NFL, which it is BUT how long does he get a pass on having a great top 5 defense, and an offense that  has troubles with the most basic of plays, producing of course medicore records like 7-9/8-8/9-7 etc.

If we extend REX and say are in year 7 or year 8 and still talking about how great his defense is (which it probably will be) but his offense is still pathetic and cant score more than 14-17 points on a regular basis, then we better think long and hard about extending him, unless he is willing to relent and start paying attention to the OTHER side of the ball.

Honestly, I think the question isn't really about this season.  As many who are in support of Rex have pointed out, we are better than we expected this year, and we are pretty much devoid of talent.  But, we've also taken some terrible losses and been non-competitive in far too many games, this season and last.

The question is, when you look ahead to next year, we are going to have a ton of resources.  There will be 54M in cap space when we clear out Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, and Goodson.  This year was all about breaking down the roster, eliminating and not adding bad contracts, and hopefully finding a QB.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we've found a QB.  While it's not impossible Geno improves, there's almost no doubt we draft one and add one via free agency.  We've also got a lot of quality draft picks on paper.

Now, the question is, based on his 5 years of work, are you willing to give him the keys to the complete rebuild of this team?  Meaning, he gets to start over just about completely, and you run with him for another 3-4 years.  At this point, I'm just not sure he's done anything to establish himself as more than a defensive coordinator... And, our defense isn't even that good.  Our defensive line is, but after that... Meh.  I think he's probably done here.  But, I'm not 100% sold on whether I think that's the right move or not.

Honestly, I think the question isn't really about this season.  As many who are in support of Rex have pointed out, we are better than we expected this year, and we are pretty much devoid of talent.  But, we've also taken some terrible losses and been non-competitive in far too many games, this season and last.

The question is, when you look ahead to next year, we are going to have a ton of resources.  There will be 54M in cap space when we clear out Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, and Goodson.  This year was all about breaking down the roster, eliminating and not adding bad contracts, and hopefully finding a QB.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we've found a QB.  While it's not impossible Geno improves, there's almost no doubt we draft one and add one via free agency.  We've also got a lot of quality draft picks on paper.

Now, the question is, based on his 5 years of work, are you willing to give him the keys to the complete rebuild of this team?  Meaning, he gets to start over just about completely, and you run with him for another 3-4 years.  At this point, I'm just not sure he's done anything to establish himself as more than a defensive coordinator... And, our defense isn't even that good.  Our defensive line is, but after that... Meh.  I think he's probably done here.  But, I'm not 100% sold on whether I think that's the right move or not.

Good post because I basically agree.  I'm more towards the I prefer to keep him, but I'm not 100% sold it is the right move.  I would limit the 3-4 years of run and the complete rebuild.  IF they are going to stick with Rex I would guess they see this as the rebuild year and expect to be in contention next year and to be beasts the year following.  If the team is not up from here in either of the next two years he is 100% gone. 

I pretty much agree with everything you stated, and my biggest complaint with REX has been that basically, he is one of the worst in game managers I have ever seen. His use of the clock, his timeouts, and challenges are puzzling and I thought he would improve but he is still awful.

Your points about the defense are well documented but in the end, REX is a very good, if not great D-coordinator, and players love to play for him, but when he needs to be tough and be a disciplinarian, he falls woefully short. Discipline on this team has always been a factor.

Rex's record is average and is basically on par with Herm, and Mangini, and both were shown the door, but for some reason, if you mention axing REX, all hell brakes loose.

If they do change (and I'm not sure thats the best move), then I would certainly want someone in the mold of Parcells.

I know people on this forum will go nuts, but my first choice would be NICK SABAN. Yeah, I know, he failed miserably at Miami, but if you look at Pete Carroll, he failed miserably too in the NFL for awhile, went to college, and now all of a sudden is a genious at Seattle. Sorry in advance but I would take SABAN in a heartbeat.

Not Saban, for Heaven's sake. He failed miserably in Miami and while he MAY be better the second time around, I don't like his personality and he not shown he can win in the NFL. I would like Lovie Smith, Brian Billick or Jack Del Rio, but please John Idzik NO FIRST TIME NFL HC. I am tired of the Jets being the on the job training program for head coaches who usually fail.

Good post because I basically agree.  I'm more towards the I prefer to keep him, but I'm not 100% sold it is the right move.  I would limit the 3-4 years of run and the complete rebuild.  IF they are going to stick with Rex I would guess they see this as the rebuild year and expect to be in contention next year and to be beasts the year following.  If the team is not up from here in either of the next two years he is 100% gone. 

What has Rex done to deserve TWO MORE YEARS? He is inept at offense, can motivate ONLY in odd numbered weeks and has this intolerable penchant for patting underachievers on the back rather than kicking them in the a$$. He is ONLY NOW considering benching Stephen Hill who resembles the invisible man for weeks now. Kyle Wilson's next play will be his first and look how long it took to show Vlad Ducasse the bench. This is not even mentioning his lousy clock management and his laughable challenges. NO MORE REX, he has had his chance.

What has Rex done to deserve TWO MORE YEARS? He is inept at offense, can motivate ONLY in odd numbered weeks and has this intolerable penchant for patting underachievers on the back rather than kicking them in the a$$. He is ONLY NOW considering benching Stephen Hill who resembles the invisible man for weeks now. Kyle Wilson's next play will be his first and look how long it took to show Vlad Ducasse the bench. This is not even mentioning his lousy clock management and his laughable challenges. NO MORE REX, he has had his chance.

You are generally a troll, but I will still respond.  I didn't say he should get 2 more years.  I said that rather than consider this the start of a 4 year rebuilding process I would look at it as a 3 years with 2 years left after this.  That does not mean that Rex gets until the end of 2015, but that if the team is not a super bowl contender in 2013 or 2014 he doesn't automatically get fired.  IMO the team still has to trend up in both years.

Considering the sh*t roster and all these failings, how does the guy ever win a ******* game?  

You are the definition of a waffle. Make up your mind. Rex isn't even the best DC in his own family, let alone the NFL, and as a HC he is laughably lacking in clock management skills, challenges, and especially in motivating a team to play at a consistent level. He - in short - sucks a$$.

You are generally a troll, but I will still respond.  I didn't say he should get 2 more years.  I said that rather than consider this the start of a 4 year rebuilding process I would look at it as a 3 years with 2 years left after this.  That does not mean that Rex gets until the end of 2015, but that if the team is not a super bowl contender in 2013 or 2014 he doesn't automatically get fired.  IMO the team still has to trend up in both years.

Considering the sh*t roster and all these failings, how does the guy ever win a ******* game?  

We are all entitled to our opinions. WITHOUT the stigma of being called a TROLL A-hole. I have been a Jets fan for a looooooooong freakin time my friend so one thing I am NOT is a troll, which may be a better definition of yourself.

You are the definition of a waffle. Make up your mind. Rex isn't even the best DC in his own family, let alone the NFL, and as a HC he is laughably lacking in clock management skills, challenges, and especially in motivating a team to play at a consistent level. He - in short - sucks a$$.

Rob Ryan couldn't even contain the Jets defense, but you keep spouting.  Rationality is not a strong suit among Jets fans, even if many of the Ilk are rational beings. 

Jacked4JetsFB, on 20 Nov 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:snapback.png

Great post. I couldn't agree more, but watch out man, Rex apologists are EVERYWHERE, and they think THEY are the rational ones.

Archived