Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

Honestly, I think the question isn't really about this season.  As many who are in support of Rex have pointed out, we are better than we expected this year, and we are pretty much devoid of talent.  But, we've also taken some terrible losses and been non-competitive in far too many games, this season and last.

The question is, when you look ahead to next year, we are going to have a ton of resources.  There will be 54M in cap space when we clear out Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, and Goodson.  This year was all about breaking down the roster, eliminating and not adding bad contracts, and hopefully finding a QB.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we've found a QB.  While it's not impossible Geno improves, there's almost no doubt we draft one and add one via free agency.  We've also got a lot of quality draft picks on paper.

Now, the question is, based on his 5 years of work, are you willing to give him the keys to the complete rebuild of this team? 

Yes.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Saban, for Heaven's sake. He failed miserably in Miami and while he MAY be better the second time around, I don't like his personality and he not shown he can win in the NFL. I would like Lovie Smith, Brian Billick or Jack Del Rio, but please John Idzik NO FIRST TIME NFL HC. I am tired of the Jets being the on the job training program for head coaches who usually fail.

I know SABAN is not a popular choice, and quite frankly, I dont know who would be a popular choice right now. Lovie Smith is defensive minded and I have had enough of 1970's ground n pound archaic offense from the cureent HC. At least Billick is offensive minded, and Del Rio again being a defensive guy is a pass and I think he wants the USC job anyway.

OK, I know you dont want SABAN(who is not a first timer in the NFL), so I am going to throw out a name who would be a first timer and you tell me what you think:

URBAN MEYER?

I know SABAN is not a popular choice, and quite frankly, I dont know who would be a popular choice right now. Lovie Smith is defensive minded and I have had enough of 1970's ground n pound archaic offense from the cureent HC. At least Billick is offensive minded, and Del Rio again being a defensive guy is a pass and I think he wants the USC job anyway.

OK, I know you dont want SABAN(who is not a first timer in the NFL), so I am going to throw out a name who would be a first timer and you tell me what you think:

URBAN MEYER?

Good offensive minded coach, but he would probably can Mornhinweg and while I am not a big supporter of Marty, I don't want Geno's progress interrupted by having to learn another system. One reason I like Lovie Smith is that he has worked with Mornhinweg before and would probably keep him and ensure continuity.

Not a troll?  Know your audience?  I'm just not sure...

I don't know you that's for sure. I never claimed to know my audience, I am just here venting my utter hatred of the bumbling HC of the NY Jets. A guy YOU happen to like. I guess you thought Rich Kotite was just misunderstood.

Good post because I basically agree.  I'm more towards the I prefer to keep him, but I'm not 100% sold it is the right move.  I would limit the 3-4 years of run and the complete rebuild.  IF they are going to stick with Rex I would guess they see this as the rebuild year and expect to be in contention next year and to be beasts the year following.  If the team is not up from here in either of the next two years he is 100% gone. 

We've called this year the rebuild all year, but in truth, I think it's more the breakdown to truly rebuild next year, as we'll have a ton of cap space and draft picks, and can hopefully build a legitimate squad.  But, we need a new secondary, our offensive line is overrated, we have one guy to catch the ball (kerley), and no QB.  That's a lot to do, even with the resources we'll have.  I'd love it if we could be contenders next year, but it's a big project.

You are the definition of a waffle. Make up your mind. Rex isn't even the best DC in his own family, let alone the NFL, and as a HC he is laughably lacking in clock management skills, challenges, and especially in motivating a team to play at a consistent level. He - in short - sucks a$$.

Being a "waffle" as you describe, has a high correlation with being "thoughtful".  I'll live without your approval.

Honestly, I think the question isn't really about this season.  As many who are in support of Rex have pointed out, we are better than we expected this year, and we are pretty much devoid of talent.  But, we've also taken some terrible losses and been non-competitive in far too many games, this season and last.

The question is, when you look ahead to next year, we are going to have a ton of resources.  There will be 54M in cap space when we clear out Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, and Goodson.  This year was all about breaking down the roster, eliminating and not adding bad contracts, and hopefully finding a QB.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we've found a QB.  While it's not impossible Geno improves, there's almost no doubt we draft one and add one via free agency.  We've also got a lot of quality draft picks on paper.

Now, the question is, based on his 5 years of work, are you willing to give him the keys to the complete rebuild of this team?  Meaning, he gets to start over just about completely, and you run with him for another 3-4 years.  At this point, I'm just not sure he's done anything to establish himself as more than a defensive coordinator... And, our defense isn't even that good.  Our defensive line is, but after that... Meh.  I think he's probably done here.  But, I'm not 100% sold on whether I think that's the right move or not.

Very well said.  Grass always looks greener but it's tuff to see the dog crap from far away.  Team could get better or worse with Rex gone but his tenure as a head coach shows improvement but likely not enough for Idzik to rest his career on. He brings in new blood. 

Good offensive minded coach, but he would probably can Mornhinweg and while I am not a big supporter of Marty, I don't want Geno's progress interrupted by having to learn another system. One reason I like Lovie Smith is that he has worked with Mornhinweg before and would probably keep him and ensure continuity.

I understand your wanting continuity, but if getting the guy we absolutely want and the guy Idzik absolutely wants means that Marty or anyone on this staff must go, then so be it. If we limit our scope to guys that will basically keep "continuity", or someone we like on the staff, then we may eliminate a great candidate for the sake of saving someone's job, and I would not be in favor of that at all.

If the guy however that we (and Idzik) really want, wanst to continue with some of the staff including Marty, then obviously this would be a bonus, but this definitely cannot be the limiting factor.

Marty was just ahead of his time. He took the wind in OT before the rule change

Heard an interesting stat this morning. Scoring is at the highest level it's ever been in the NFL through Week Eleven, beating the record set last year. Wrong time to be a defense-only franchise.

Peyton manning is responsible for most of that stat

LOL.  We've differed in our opinions on Geno a lot.  Well, maybe more our opinions of where he might end up, as opposed to where he is... But this, I had to laugh.

We need to start brainstorming new usernames for you:

MarEYota

ManziEYL

BoEYd

MurrEY

GaroppEYlo

ScheEYlhaase

We've called this year the rebuild all year, but in truth, I think it's more the breakdown to truly rebuild next year, as we'll have a ton of cap space and draft picks, and can hopefully build a legitimate squad.  But, we need a new secondary, our offensive line is overrated, we have one guy to catch the ball (kerley), and no QB.  That's a lot to do, even with the resources we'll have.  I'd love it if we could be contenders next year, but it's a big project.

I am more with Bit on the whole nobody rebuilds anymore theory.  This year we have a non-competitive roster and we are still in the thick of they playoff hunt.  Next year we should be legit playoff contenders or Rex should be out-unless it is completely based on things that are out of his control.  IMO, it is up to Idzik to know what is and isn't in his control and grade accordingly.

I am more with Bit on the whole nobody rebuilds anymore theory. This year we have a non-competitive roster and we are still in the thick of they playoff hunt. Next year we should be legit playoff contenders or Rex should be out-unless it is completely based on things that are out of his control. IMO, it is up to Idzik to know what is and isn't in his control and grade accordingly.

Can you and bit provide examples of these teams that go from awful-to-champion in one year?

Archived