Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

Can you and bit provide examples of these teams that go from awful-to-champion in one year?

Those don't exist, but there are 2 flaws here:  1) We're not awful, 2) While an offseason with $50 million and 10 or more draft picks COULD make us a Super Bowl contender, it's not truly realistic to say that's the year we win a title, especially if Geno truly isn't the guy to lead us there and we take a QB this off-season. 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fans crack me up.  Last week, lets extend him!!!!  This week, lets fire him!!!!

haha

If you dont have a QB in this league, it doesnt ******* matter who your coach is.  

Fire Rex hire Bill Walsh...you roll Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez out there on Sundays, you're going to lose a bunch of games because they cant take care of the ball.  

Kudos to Rex for being able to coach this team to playoff contention with the worst QB in the league.  Its very hard to do.

In that case, Rex should be fired based on the fact that the did not pull "the worst QB in the league" until the game was completely out of reach.

Your funny.

Jets win, Rex is responsible, jets lose, not Rex's fault, players fault.

Main reason Rex hasn't been fired already and why there's still a debate about it, with reasonable arguments on both sides, is because of the way the team played against the Pats and Saints.  Those are the types of wins that give you hope.

The Bills game was truly awful so the needle is pointing towards firing now, and rightfully so.  "What have you done for me lately," and what-not.

We need to start brainstorming new usernames for you:

MarEYota

ManziEYL

BoEYd

MurrEY

GaroppEYlo

ScheEYlhaase

MurrEY

I vote JamEYes

CUTLEYR

Whoever they are, I'm sure we'll be having this conversation again this time next year.

Can you and bit provide examples of these teams that go from awful-to-champion in one year?

Chiefs are doing a pretty good impression.  The Jets are mid-pack now with an awful, by most accounts, roster.  I didn't say they should be champions next year.  I said they should be legitimate playoff contenders next year and super bowl contenders in 2015.  FWIW, the Giants went from 8-8 to super bowl champs, the Saints went 7-9 and 8-8 the two years before they won the super bowl.  Powerhouses all! 

Like team performance?

You can run your bullsh*t sound bytes every time, but we are already on the record as disagreeing about who is to blame for the roster.  Only people inside the organization know and they should make their determination accordingly. 

Your funny.

Jets win, Rex is responsible, jets lose, not Rex's fault, players fault.

Thats not me...but sure seems that way around here.

In that case, Rex should be fired based on the fact that the did not pull "the worst QB in the league" until the game was completely out of reach.

#Idzik

Chiefs are doing a pretty good impression.  The Jets are mid-pack now with an awful, by most accounts, roster.  I didn't say they should be champions next year.  I said they should be legitimate playoff contenders next year and super bowl contenders in 2015.  FWIW, the Giants went from 8-8 to super bowl champs, the Saints went 7-9 and 8-8 the two years before they won the super bowl.  Powerhouses all! 

You can run your bullsh*t sound bytes every time, but we are already on the record as disagreeing about who is to blame for the roster.  Only people inside the organization know and they should make their determination accordingly. 

Hmm, and in reality, what did the Chiefs do this off season? Fired their coach and hired ANDY REID, and he got a QB!

Paging Mr. IDZIK. we have a formula.

Chiefs are doing a pretty good impression. The Jets are mid-pack now with an awful, by most accounts, roster. I didn't say they should be champions next year. I said they should be legitimate playoff contenders next year and super bowl contenders in 2015. FWIW, the Giants went from 8-8 to super bowl champs, the Saints went 7-9 and 8-8 the two years before they won the super bowl. Powerhouses all!

Those are all the products of multi-year rebuilds, meathead.

I am more with Bit on the whole nobody rebuilds anymore theory.  This year we have a non-competitive roster and we are still in the thick of they playoff hunt.  Next year we should be legit playoff contenders or Rex should be out-unless it is completely based on things that are out of his control.  IMO, it is up to Idzik to know what is and isn't in his control and grade accordingly.

And looking at the Jets track record of drafting, it is pretty abominable also, but WTF let's just make Rex HC for Life and make the Dominator a happy person. Dude, REX RYAN SUCKS...he sucks toes, he sucks a$$, and I know he sucks as an NFL head coach. For every win over a team like the Pats and Saints there are TWO losses to Buffalo, Miami and Tennessee.

And looking at the Jets track record of drafting, it is pretty abominable also, but WTF let's just make Rex HC for Life and make the Dominator a happy person. Dude, REX RYAN SUCKS...he sucks toes, he sucks a$$, and I know he sucks as an NFL head coach. For every win over a team like the Pats and Saints there are TWO losses to Buffalo, Miami and Tennessee.

All I know is you dont know nothing. 

Main reason Rex hasn't been fired already and why there's still a debate about it, with reasonable arguments on both sides, is because of the way the team played against the Pats and Saints.  Those are the types of wins that give you hope.

The Bills game was truly awful so the needle is pointing towards firing now, and rightfully so.  "What have you done for me lately," and what-not.

Rex wasnt fired before the season because he had too many years left on his contract and Woody is cheap and liked the attention Rex brought him. There was zero chance he was getting fired during the season, so nothing going on during the season would make a difference.

Thats not me...but sure seems that way around here.

#Idzik

Oh yes it's absolutely you. You talk about how bad the roster is and how its a miracle he got the team to 5-5. That is implying its not the players getting the wins, its Rex. Than when they lose, you say, hey, Rex isn't the one passing, catching the ball, or playing bad corner. You give Rex all the credit for the good, and blame the players/GM/past GM for any that is bad.

Oh yes it's absolutely you. You talk about how bad the roster is and how its a miracle he got the team to 5-5. That is implying its not the players getting the wins, its Rex. Than when they lose, you say, hey, Rex isn't the one passing, catching the ball, or playing bad corner. You give Rex all the credit for the good, and blame the players/GM/past GM for any that is bad.

That is 100% JiF's M.O.

Honestly, I think the question isn't really about this season.  As many who are in support of Rex have pointed out, we are better than we expected this year, and we are pretty much devoid of talent.  But, we've also taken some terrible losses and been non-competitive in far too many games, this season and last.

The question is, when you look ahead to next year, we are going to have a ton of resources.  There will be 54M in cap space when we clear out Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, and Goodson.  This year was all about breaking down the roster, eliminating and not adding bad contracts, and hopefully finding a QB.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we've found a QB.  While it's not impossible Geno improves, there's almost no doubt we draft one and add one via free agency.  We've also got a lot of quality draft picks on paper.

Now, the question is, based on his 5 years of work, are you willing to give him the keys to the complete rebuild of this team?  Meaning, he gets to start over just about completely, and you run with him for another 3-4 years.  At this point, I'm just not sure he's done anything to establish himself as more than a defensive coordinator... And, our defense isn't even that good.  Our defensive line is, but after that... Meh.  I think he's probably done here.  But, I'm not 100% sold on whether I think that's the right move or not.

This post is spot on, and I agree 100% on this. Anyone comparing Rex to Herm is just a hater and not seeing clearly. Rex has plenty of good. I think you hit the nail on the head that the real issue is can you give him another 3-4 years considering he has shown that he has glaring weaknesses that probably cannot be corrected. The question is are his strong points strong enough to overcome those glaring weaknesses. I am not sure one way or another.

Rex is the best Head Coach in the NFL.

Discuss. 

In all honesty, if you need to win one game, one really big game, he is probably the best coach in the NFL maybe second behind only Bellicheck. He showed that with monster wins against SD and NE with inferior teams, and had incredible schemes and motivation.

That said, if it comes to building an every year playoff team that is a serious contender to win a SB in most of those years, he is really not even close, due to his complete inability to chose, groom a QB, or put a QB even in a position to succeed because he is so hell bent on a top 5 defense.

In all honesty, if you need to win one game, one really big game, he is probably the best coach in the NFL maybe second behind only Bellicheck. He showed that with monster wins against SD and NE with inferior teams, and had incredible schemes and motivation.

That said, if it comes to building an every year playoff team that is a serious contender to win a SB in most of those years, he is really not even close, due to his complete inability to chose, groom a QB, or put a QB even in a position to succeed because he is so hell bent on a top 5 defense.

A Superbowl is a really big game. 

And this is the constant paradox with REX. He Schemes like crazy and pulls out wins vs. Manning, or Brady, or Brees, and then guys like Manuel, Locker, Dalton etc, just light his butt up. He prepares like crazy and then his teams are totally unprepared, like this past week.

Again, he's a fun loving, likeable ( I actually like him), players coach, great D-coordinator, that for some reason lets his bigger than lfe personna, completely screw up what head coaching traits he may have.

That being said, I wouldnt even think about extending him, as I am now completely convinced seeing another QB and not the Bust from USC try to play offense for this guy, and have it be a mirror image of the past 4 years. Sorry, but REX just has no care for offensive football. Its in his genes (his brother, father, etc) None could identify a forward pass, or a double reverse. Time to move on.

Yet. As either a head coach or the more than than likely as a defensive cooridinator he wins one more before he is done coaching. Book it. Cook it Eat it. ...

As a DC, sure, I can see that.

As a HC, will be tough and take the absolute perfect situation. Could happen, but will not happen with the Jets I don't think, even if he was give 5 more years.

For the record , his one was in a different era of football, and he was not the DC on that team, he was the dline coach.

As a DC, sure, I can see that.

As a HC, will be tough and take the absolute perfect situation. Could happen, but will not happen with the Jets I don't think, even if he was give 5 more years.

For the record , his one was in a different era of football, and he was not the DC on that team, he was the dline coach.

Was Marvin Lewis the D-coordinator on that team?

And this is the constant paradox with REX. He Schemes like crazy and pulls out wins vs. Manning, or Brady, or Brees, and then guys like Manuel, Locker, Dalton etc, just light his butt up. He prepares like crazy and then his teams are totally unprepared, like this past week.

Again, he's a fun loving, likeable ( I actually like him), players coach, great D-coordinator, that for some reason lets his bigger than lfe personna, completely screw up what head coaching traits he may have.

That being said, I wouldnt even think about extending him, as I am now completely convinced seeing another QB and not the Bust from USC try to play offense for this guy, and have it be a mirror image of the past 4 years. Sorry, but REX just has no care for offensive football. Its in his genes (his brother, father, etc) None could identify a forward pass, or a double reverse. Time to move on.

This is all fair.

I pretty much agree with everything you stated, and my biggest complaint with REX has been that basically, he is one of the worst in game managers I have ever seen. His use of the clock, his timeouts, and challenges are puzzling and I thought he would improve but he is still awful.

Your points about the defense are well documented but in the end, REX is a very good, if not great D-coordinator, and players love to play for him, but when he needs to be tough and be a disciplinarian, he falls woefully short. Discipline on this team has always been a factor.

Rex's record is average and is basically on par with Herm, and Mangini, and both were shown the door, but for some reason, if you mention axing REX, all hell brakes loose.

If they do change (and I'm not sure thats the best move), then I would certainly want someone in the mold of Parcells.

I know people on this forum will go nuts, but my first choice would be NICK SABAN. Yeah, I know, he failed miserably at Miami, but if you look at Pete Carroll, he failed miserably too in the NFL for awhile, went to college, and now all of a sudden is a genious at Seattle. Sorry in advance but I would take SABAN in a heartbeat.

please Carroll sucked before they got Wilson  a good QB will make any coach look good. most of the time

Archived