Why Rex Ryan deserves to be fired....

deucebag

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the LB's, the safeties appear up and coming, the HOF CB that is now gone. Guys on the offense too.

Some of his "skill" position draft picks:

Sanchez (historically awful)

Hill (who? and wehere is he?)

Greene (best 2.5 yd/carry back and gone)

Keller (could not block you or me, injured and gone)

Geno (oh boy)

OK:

Kerley and hmmm, I'm struggling to find another. OK Powell (average back at best), anymore

Do you want me to list the defense? It could take awhile as REX loves these guys.

there's a saying don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. the fact that Rex is "only" a defensive mastermind isn't a reason to fire him. the next guy could very well be a mastermind of nothing. And that's a step backward.

I completely agree, but we know what we have with REX, GREAT defense,players coach, WOEFUL offense, poor in game management, and a lack of discipline. RESULT: mediocre teams who may now and then sneak into the playoffs. If you are happy with this, thats fine BUT I would say that many fans would not be satisfied with that.

I know Max likes post counts, but this story is pretty simple.  The team is 5-5.  There are plenty of reasons that he should be fired and plenty of reasons he should stay. Acting like it is a foregone conculsion at this point is silly.  If it is a foregone conclusion now,  it was at the start of the season.  That is certainly possible, but we have no way of knowing.

Some of his "skill" position draft picks:

Sanchez (historically awful)

Hill (who? and wehere is he?)

Greene (best 2.5 yd/carry back and gone)

Keller (could not block you or me, injured and gone)

Geno (oh boy)

OK:

Kerley and hmmm, I'm struggling to find another. OK Powell (average back at best), anymore

Do you want me to list the defense? It could take awhile as REX loves these guys.

Even if you believe all they hype (which I don't) Rex is on the record as being against the Hill pick.   i doubt he had anything do with Geno either - good or bad.  Shonn Greene averaged 4.1 ypc over his Jets career.  That is more than... wait for it... Curtis Martin.  

I know Max likes post counts, but this story is pretty simple. The team is 5-5. There are plenty of reasons that he should be fired and plenty of reasons he should stay. Acting like it is a foregone conculsion at this point is silly. If it is a foregone conclusion now, it was at the start of the season. That is certainly possible, but we have no way of knowing.

Did you write this while doing downward-facing-dog near a trickling stream while wearing a toga?

Even if you believe all they hype (which I don't) Rex is on the record as being against the Hill pick. i doubt he had anything do with Geno either - good or bad. Shonn Greene averaged 4.1 ypc over his Jets career. That is more than... wait for it... Curtis Martin.

Lombardiesque

there's a saying don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. the fact that Rex is "only" a defensive mastermind isn't a reason to fire him. the next guy could very well be a mastermind of nothing. And that's a step backward.

We should have named Jimmy Carter King for Life.

I wish that ALL of the Rex apologists would give me ONE GOOD REASON for keeping that jacka$$. He is completely foreign to offensive concepts and judging talent. He is moronic in his game adjustments, timeouts and challenges. He motivates the team to play hard every OTHER week and usually after a bad loss the team plays better. Mediocrity is what he has brought and all he WILL bring. One post said it best..if mediocrity and a playoff spot once in a while is what you want Rex is your guy. I think most people are ready to accept the devil they know rather than take a chance on the unknown. I prefer the unknown to what we already know about Rex Ryan.

Even if you believe all they hype (which I don't) Rex is on the record as being against the Hill pick.   i doubt he had anything do with Geno either - good or bad.  Shonn Greene averaged 4.1 ypc over his Jets career.  That is more than... wait for it... Curtis Martin.

Shonne Greene averaged 4.1yd/carry? Wow, all I remember is the guy always being tackled by the first guy who hit him, getting no yards after contact and falling. If this is so, why did the Jets then feel the need to jettison him out of NY? And I havent followed him since he left, How's he doing with his new team (which also I do not know, as I didnt follow who he ended up with)?

I wish that ALL of the Rex apologists would give me ONE GOOD REASON for keeping that jacka$$. He is completely foreign to offensive concepts and judging talent. He is moronic in his game adjustments, timeouts and challenges. He motivates the team to play hard every OTHER week and usually after a bad loss the team plays better. Mediocrity is what he has brought and all he WILL bring. One post said it best..if mediocrity and a playoff spot once in a while is what you want Rex is your guy. I think most people are ready to accept the devil they know rather than take a chance on the unknown. I prefer the unknown to what we already know about Rex Ryan.

The reasons you will get will be:

1. The alternative could be worse

2. He is a genious DEFENSIVELY

3. The players love to play for him

The reasons I would like to hear but never do is:

1. He will change his stripes and pay attention to the other side of the ball

2. He will learn to manage the game better, manage the clock better, manage timeouts better, make better challenges

3. He will not be so loyal to a particular player, no matter how awful they perform

4. He will have some discipline on this team and reprimand players for stupid penalties, stupid decisions, etc.

5. He will draft and try to develop skill players

Shonne Greene averaged 4.1yd/carry? Wow, all I remember is the guy always being tackled by the first guy who hit him, getting no yards after contact and falling. If this is so, why did the Jets then feel the need to jettison him out of NY? And I havent followed him since he left, How's he doing with his new team (which also I do not know, as I didnt follow who he ended up with)?

He's hurt and was not worth the money.  He was a good draft pick, not a great one.  The kind of guy you love to have on his rookie deal, but you don't give him his pay day. I don't agree with bashing Rex for the offensive draft, but that is because I don't blame Rex for the draft. I find it hard to believe that you have Milliner down as a guy he has been loyal to.  He has benched that kid twice.  I actually think Cromartie may be playing worse than Milliner and more deserving of a benching.

The reasons you will get will be:

1. The alternative could be worse

2. He is a genious DEFENSIVELY

3. The players love to play for him

The reasons I would like to hear but never do is:

1. He will change his stripes and pay attention to the other side of the ball

2. He will learn to manage the game better, manage the clock better, manage timeouts better, make better challenges

3. He will not be so loyal to a particular player, no matter how awful they perform

4. He will have some discipline on this team and reprimand players for stupid penalties, stupid decisions, etc.

5. He will draft and try to develop skill players

Rex WILL NOT change his stripes and we BOTH know that. He is and will ALWAYS be a players coach that coddles his 'guys' and let's underachievers prosper. He is not a good judge of talent (a lot of blame goes to Tanny as well for this, let's hope John Idzik is better). I am beginning to see warts galore in his 'greatness' as a DC as well. The secondary is a disaster area with first round picks littering (and loitering) everywhere. I am not so afraid of the unknown that I want to keep a guy that with every passing day makes me wish I had gone blue like the rest of my family.

He's hurt and was not worth the money.  He was a good draft pick, not a great one.  The kind of guy you love to have on his rookie deal, but you don't give him his pay day. I don't agree with bashing Rex for the offensive draft, but that is because I don't blame Rex for the draft. I find it hard to believe that you have Milliner down as a guy he has been loyal to.  He has benched that kid twice.  I actually think Cromartie may be playing worse than Milliner and more deserving of a benching.

Bench them all for all of me. I would play ANYONE that showed a pulse, Walls, Trufant or pick someone off the street. The point is Cro has gotten old - it happens very quickly - Milliner is confused by the system and the safeties are more run stuffers than playmakers. This team is in need of an almost TOTAL reconstruction, with an EMPHASIS on offensive SKILL players with speed and heart. That will NOT happen with Rex constantly whispering his need for a pass rusher that will solve ALL the teams woes. Rex had his chances and who among us would not expect to be fired with everything that he has done (and NOT done). He cannot develop players and I doubt Sanjay Lol is very good at teaching WR's...look at the invisible man Stephen Hill.

Actually, the saying is don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough. There is a pretty big difference.

Good does not imply good enough necessarily.

Good enough for what is the question, and the answer varies depending on your perspective.

Rex is clearly a good coach in terms of defense. He is clearly a good coach in terms of motivating players.

To me, good enough is good enough to be a perennial playoff contender and good enough to win super bowl('s)

I pray that our owner and GM have my definition of good enough.

So on my definition, is Rex good enough? Im not sure, but lately I am leaning towards no. I honestly don't think he can create an environment where an offense can be a modern day powerhouse on his team as HC. And that is what it will take to meet my definition of good enough.

There is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that the next HC would be better than Rex, who is a good coach. BUT, if he is not good enough, than he must be replaced in search of that coach who is good enough. That may mean bringing in someone worse, or two people who are worse, but that may be what it takes.

If it ultimately ends in a coach who is good enough, and Rex is not good enough, it will have been the right decision.

Pass rushers?  What ******* premium have the Jets placed on pass rushers?  I would only list Coples as a pass rusher out of the draft.  Are Aaron Maybin and Antwan Barnes keeping us from getting offense?  Idzik seems to have gone straight off his board.  I don't see any major input from Rex on those picks.  In fact, I think I read that Rex was not that high on Milliner in the first place.  Today alone I have heard complaints about Rex coveting safeties and pass rush when the team has almost no investment in either. It's up to the ******* GM to supply the players.

Is it up to the GM to supply players that are 100% ready to play on Day One and whom require no development or coaching?

You're right.  I guess I should concede.  There is no way to logically argue with somebody that thinks the GM has to go because the players are bad, but wants to blame the coach for not developing those bad players.  Especially when the (fired) GM was famous for not supplying low to mid round picks which are the kind that get developed. Your argument makes perfect sense. 

You're right. I guess I should concede. There is no way to logically argue with somebody that thinks the GM has to go because the players are bad, but wants to blame the coach for not developing those bad players. Especially when the (fired) GM was famous for not supplying low to mid round picks which are the kind that get developed. Your argument makes perfect sense.

The coach and the GM share the responsibility. This idea that the GM only gets players and the coach only coaches them is ludicrous. It's incumbent upon both of them to establish a system by which prospects are drafted and progressively develop. This has not been the case, and it persists.

The coach and the GM share the responsibility. This idea that the GM only gets players and the coach only coaches them is ludicrous. It's incumbent upon both of them to establish a system by which prospects are drafted and progressively develop. This has not been the case, and it persists.

Yet the purpose of this thread is to bitch about the coach because of two guys, Smith and Milliner, who expressly playing for their future development over current production.  Paradox?  Hell, throw Winters in there too.  I hear that Rex was in love with Ducasse and insisted on starting him even after it was obvoius that he was failing, never mind that the kid has 5 career starts and one was a garbage time game at the end of a season. 

What players has Rex developed outside of his DL?

I think Cromartie's metamorphosis from being a pu$$y in San Diego to a top 10 corner for 3 straight years AND a guy who suddenly likes hitting people can be credited to Rex.  But Cro's play has fallen off big-time this year so that hurts.

I like how TS wonders "Outside of the DL" who has he developed? It's like saying outside of the Sistine Chapel and David, what has Michaelangelo ever done?  

The Jets have one of if not the best DL in football right now. It's so dominant that it can take over the game and beat teams like NO without any sort of functional passing offense. 

I like how TS wonders "Outside of the DL" who has he developed? It's like saying outside of the Sistine Chapel and David, what has Michaelangelo ever done?  

The Jets have one of if not the best DL in football right now. It's so dominant that it can take over the game and beat teams like NO without any sort of functional passing offense. 

Cue up something about how defense isn't as valuable as offense these days so this is still invalid. Or better yet, something about that makes him a DC. 

Yet the purpose of this thread is to bitch about the coach because of two guys, Smith and Milliner, who expressly playing for their future development over current production. Paradox? Hell, throw Winters in there too. I hear that Rex was in love with Ducasse and insisted on starting him even after it was obvoius that he was failing, never mind that the kid has 5 career starts and one was a garbage time game at the end of a season.

No, the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not Rex has shown enough in five years to convince a young GM to tie his cart to him.

Where does one pick up the Best DL Trophy?

Archived