Is Andy Reid the "offensive" Rex Ryan

deucebag

In a sense this is a good comparison. 

When a coach is as good at offense as Andy Reid is, or as good at defense as Rex Ryan is... they cease to be "just coordinators." They earn a HC's salary for their far-higher-than-normal proficiency with the gameday stuff. Designing the plays, calling the plays etc.  

People want to imagine the HC can hype up a team Al Pacino style in Any Given Sunday and that they lost cause the HC taking them to Dave and Busters is why. I guess we'll never know but the perfect shouldn't be the enemy of the good. 

With all his skills why has he never won it all.  Stubbornly stuck with mcNabb and now looks to Alex Smith to be a game manager - what if Reid had a franchise QB?

Are you serious? 

McNabb was a franchise QB. McNabb had a stretch from about 02-06 where he was arguably the best QB in the league. He only played with a Pro Bowl caliber receiver for one year during his prime and he came within seconds of winning the SB that year against a bunch of cheating scumbags. 

Are you serious? 

McNabb was a franchise QB. McNabb had a stretch from about 02-06 where he was arguably the best QB in the league. He only played with a Pro Bowl caliber receiver for one year during his prime and he came within seconds of winning the SB that year against a bunch of cheating scumbags. 

I think Reid made McNabb look better than he was.  Not to mention Terrell Owens.  At some point McNabb became a fat slob yet that team kept winning.

Really? Reid seems like way more of a complete coach than Ryan. His defense is better than ours with Bob Sutton this year. He also prepares his team's given a bye week

He also has significantly better talent at the second and third level on D than Ryan has. Can you imagine the Jets defense if you added Tamba Hali and Eric Berry? No one would ever score on us. 

The obvious difference being that current NFL rules make having The Rex Ryan Of Offense way more valuable than having The Andy Reid Of Defense.

Sadly you may be right.  Our next HC will most certainly be offense-minded.  But Darrell Bevell/Jon Gruden aren't the answer to anyone but T0mShane.  I wonder who Idzik will target as his guy if/when the time comes.

Sadly you may be right. Our next HC will most certainly be offense-minded. But Darrell Bevell/Jon Gruden aren't the answer to anyone but T0mShane. I wonder who Idzik will target as his guy if/when the time comes.

Still not sure how you and Gato can be so certain Bevell sucks (beyond a natural compulsion to disagree with whatever Tom says), but yeah, I guess.

The Gruden thing is a joke, btw. No sane person wants him within a hundred miles of Florham Park.

Still not sure how you and Gato can be so certain Bevell sucks (beyond a natural compulsion to disagree with whatever Tom says), but yeah, I guess.

The Gruden thing is a joke, btw. No sane person wants him within a hundred miles of Florham Park.

No sane person wants Gruden off of MNF. His crazed stupidity is extremely entertaining.

The fact that Shane wants Gruden makes me question his evaluation of Bevell.  Bevell is an offense-minded guy who hasn't built a tremendous offense despite having Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch.  I don't get the idea that he's a slam dunk.

The fact that Shane wants Gruden makes me question his evaluation of Bevell. Bevell is an offense-minded guy who hasn't built a tremendous offense despite having Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. I don't get the idea that he's a slam dunk.

I do not want Jon Gruden, turkey.

He also has significantly better talent at the second and third level on D than Ryan has. Can you imagine the Jets defense if you added Tamba Hali and Eric Berry? No one would ever score on us. 

Agreed, Rex Just needs more time/high round picks on defense. I don't know why we haven't extended him yet, in a few more years we'll be unstopable

Archived