Hill benched

Kleckineau

About time no?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wr-hill-demoted-jets-lineup-172235998--nfl.html

New York Jets second-year wide receiver Stephen Hill has been demoted with reduced playing time this week against theBaltimore Ravens, coach Rex Ryan announced.

Hill had his second consecutive game without a catch in Sunday's blowout loss to the Buffalo Bills.

Hill has played 104 of a possible 121 snaps in the past two weeks.

Ryan acknowledged earlier this week that Hill's playing time could be reduced. Hill was made aware Wednesday that he had lost his starting job to David Nelson.

"I just got note of it today (Wednesday) -- that some would be cut down," Hill said, via the New York Daily News. "Hey, look, I have nothing to feel about it. That's big man's decisions. I just have to do what I do every day, come out here and play hard."

Ryan was critical of Hill on Wednesday..................

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#ExtendRex

I'd like to see the stats on how many times he was targeted, and how many of those throws were actually catchable.

I know GENO had like what? 8 completions the entire game last week, so I am in by no means exonerating HILL but a completed pass has TWO components, and if the first part is askew, then their is no second part. Just curious?

I'd like to see the stats on how many times he was targeted, and how many of those throws were actually catchable.

I know GENO had like what? 8 completions the entire game last week, so I am in by no means exonerating HILL but a completed pass has TWO components, and if the first part is askew, then their is no second part. Just curious?

Hill was targeted 7 times last week for no receptions. prior to that 1 time against NO (again no receptions)

I am the leader of the Geno stinks bandwagon but it's probably ok that Hill sits this one out.

The Jets have accountability at every position*

* = except quarterback

The Jets have NO accountability. Hill should have been addressed two weeks ago. Rex is slow as molasses in January when it comes to making this type of decision. He still likes Kyle Wilson. Please tell me why this guy is STILL on the roster when his next play will be his FIRST. He is a fourth year player who has yet to learn to turn his head and 'locate the football'. Remember a TE from two years ago named Matt Mulligan and how many times he jumped offside? 12 times. Yet Rex kept trotting this douche back out there only to do the same thing. Yeah, that is accountability by the Rex standard.

#ExtendRex

Extend Rex to the NFL Network where his 'expertise' will be appreciated more greatly than it is by fans of the Jets. Face it dude, you Rex apologists are getting to be in the minority more and more. See how many more turn on him after Sunday.

Hill was targeted 7 times last week for no receptions. prior to that 1 time against NO (again no receptions)

I am the leader of the Geno stinks bandwagon but it's probably ok that Hill sits this one out.

Oh no, Its fine with me also, but I just wanted to see the stats and make my own conclusions.

OK,In the New Orleans game he was targeted but 1 time, so does this mean?

1. They ran the ball great in that game and had no need to throw down the field to Hill

or

2. He couldnt get separation, and thus was never targeted

I would assume a little of both

BUT, against Buffalo, he was targeted 7 times and had NO receptions which leads to these hypothesis

1. To be targeted that many times with NO receptions, I can only conclude that the passes were poorly thrown and uncatchable or He dropped a few. Did he have any drops?

So, if He was not targeted in the NO game because of the run game, and the passes were poorly thrown in the Buffalo game, then I see no reason to bench him as it wasnt his fault for the lack of production.

If however, he was not targeted because he couldnt get seperation in NO, and he dropped passes in the Buffalo game, then obviously he should be benched for lack of separation.

Also, if a guy with 4.3 speed in his 2nd year, still cant run routes and get separation, then I would wonder about the capabilities of our coaches, in particular, our receivers coach, who is?

The Jets have NO accountability. Hill should have been addressed two weeks ago. Rex is slow as molasses in January when it comes to making this type of decision. He still likes Kyle Wilson. Please tell me why this guy is STILL on the roster when his next play will be his FIRST. He is a fourth year player who has yet to learn to turn his head and 'locate the football'. Remember a TE from two years ago named Matt Mulligan and how many times he jumped offside? 12 times. Yet Rex kept trotting this douche back out there only to do the same thing. Yeah, that is accountability by the Rex standard.

Lack of accountability is a good reference point to bring up and never was more apparent than this past week in Buffalo. I have addressed this issue which absolutely just about caused me to break my TV, but its worth mentioning again.

The Jets were down 3-0 in the second quarter and had just stopped Buffalo on the Jets 38 yard line on a 3rd and 6, brining up 4th and 6, so too long for a buffalo field goal so they were forced to punt, then came a blatant example of LACK OF DISCIPLINE on this team as LEGER DOUZABLE inexplicably causes a neutral zone infraction, and now 4th and 6 turns into 4th and 1, and given the field postion, obviously Buffalo now goes for it, makes the 1st and then Millner gets burned for a TD. My thought was just typical of a RYAN coached team and what will be the "punishment" if any for Douzable?

As I stated before, If Parcells were coach and that happened, Leger would have walked home from Buffalo and then been CUT. Of course if Parcells were coach, that wouldnt have occurred but thats another issue for another day.

Those simple mistakes have plauged this team for the past 5 years and they just cant be tolerated.

The Jets have accountability at every position*

* = except quarterback

The second that Rex stated that without question Smith would be starting after the Buffalo game, is when I would have fired him. That statement showed that he is strictly emotional and not logical as well as not even wanting Geno to have a doubt in his mind. If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. 

Rex needs to go. Perhaps he will be much better at his second coaching stint when he realizes what Parcells did. Your players are NOT your friends.

Extend Rex to the NFL Network where his 'expertise' will be appreciated more greatly than it is by fans of the Jets. Face it dude, you Rex apologists are getting to be in the minority more and more. See how many more turn on him after Sunday.

dbatesman is totes a Rex apologist.  Totes.

Actually think Wilsons not playing too bad.  Maybe because Cro and Milliner have been awful but he hasnt been as bad as recent years

Soooo, I guess this thread is OBE?

Stephen Hill expects to start for NY Jets on Sunday Marty Mornhinweg says the Jets are trying to limit his snaps in practice to keep him fresh and well-rested for Sunday's game against the Ravens. By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

It looks as if Stephen Hill will be starting after all. After what appears to be a miscommunication in which Hill seemed to suggest his snaps would be cut, it looks like the only thing being cut is his practice reps. In order to keep Hill fresh and well-rested, Marty Mornhinweg said the Jets were trying to limit his snaps in practice, but said he suspects Hill will still start.

“He’s got a bunch of nicks,” the offensive coordinator said. “We’re trying to help him help this team and to get him to the game at the top of his game, and I don’t think I’ve done that in the past couple weeks.”

There was speculation Hill would be benched after Rex Ryan said he considered pulling him from the starting lineup after the second-year receiver failed to make a catch in two games.

DonCorleone, on 22 Nov 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

The second that Rex stated that without question Smith would be starting after the Buffalo game, is when I would have fired him. That statement showed that he is strictly emotional and not logical as well as not even wanting Geno to have a doubt in his mind. If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. 

Rex needs to go. Perhaps he will be much better at his second coaching stint when he realizes what Parcells did. Your players are NOT your friends.

Are you at practice and see how the mighty Simms is performing? Maybe you prefer an ancient Garrard? Rex knows his job is on the line and I highly doubt if either backup QB is showing anything in practice that he would play Geno instead - unless Idz behind the scenes is telling him to do so (which is a good possibility).

The other statement about firing everyone because of Geno is ridiculous. He is a ROOKIE in a rebuilding year. What honestly do you expect? If you don't play him, how do you expect an honest assessment after the end of the year? Too many people are getting caught up in the playoff hopes and/or get too excitied about watching Ratliff, er Simms in mop up duty.

Oh no, Its fine with me also, but I just wanted to see the stats and make my own conclusions.

OK,In the New Orleans game he was targeted but 1 time, so does this mean?

1. They ran the ball great in that game and had no need to throw down the field to Hill

or

2. He couldnt get separation, and thus was never targeted

I would assume a little of both

BUT, against Buffalo, he was targeted 7 times and had NO receptions which leads to these hypothesis

1. To be targeted that many times with NO receptions, I can only conclude that the passes were poorly thrown and uncatchable or He dropped a few. Did he have any drops?

So, if He was not targeted in the NO game because of the run game, and the passes were poorly thrown in the Buffalo game, then I see no reason to bench him as it wasnt his fault for the lack of production.

If however, he was not targeted because he couldnt get seperation in NO, and he dropped passes in the Buffalo game, then obviously he should be benched for lack of separation.

Also, if a guy with 4.3 speed in his 2nd year, still cant run routes and get separation, then I would wonder about the capabilities of our coaches, in particular, our receivers coach, who is?

Sanjay Lal. I was thinking the same thing. He seems to be a dud. The guy he brought over from the Raiders didn't do too well either.

Are you at practice and see how the mighty Simms is performing? Maybe you prefer an ancient Garrard? Rex knows his job is on the line and I highly doubt if either backup QB is showing anything in practice that he would play Geno instead - unless Idz behind the scenes is telling him to do so (which is a good possibility).

The other statement about firing everyone because of Geno is ridiculous. He is a ROOKIE in a rebuilding year. What honestly do you expect? If you don't play him, how do you expect an honest assessment after the end of the year? Too many people are getting caught up in the playoff hopes and/or get too excitied about watching Ratliff, er Simms in mop up duty.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Did you not read " If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. ' This is not a rebuilding year as far as Rex's job security is concerned. If Idz is telling him what to do, the Rex should walk away. To play or not to play a particular player is the decision of the head coach, if he cannot be entrusted to make his own decisions, he should not be coaching. I did not have to be at practice to see how deplorable Geno is as a player...Never mind as a qb.

Meh, let the wind blow again. 

btw i dug this up about Hill vs BUF

Despite receiving seven targets, Hill was held without a reception for the second straight game. Hill’s production is plagued by inconsistent quarterback play. Five of Hill’s seven targets were overthrown as Geno Smith was unable deliver accurate passes under duress. Hill’s other two targets were underthrown as Buffalo’s defensive lineman tipped passes at the line of scrimmage.

Lack of accountability is a good reference point to bring up and never was more apparent than this past week in Buffalo. I have addressed this issue which absolutely just about caused me to break my TV, but its worth mentioning again.

The Jets were down 3-0 in the second quarter and had just stopped Buffalo on the Jets 38 yard line on a 3rd and 6, brining up 4th and 6, so too long for a buffalo field goal so they were forced to punt, then came a blatant example of LACK OF DISCIPLINE on this team as LEGER DOUZABLE inexplicably causes a neutral zone infraction, and now 4th and 6 turns into 4th and 1, and given the field postion, obviously Buffalo now goes for it, makes the 1st and then Millner gets burned for a TD. My thought was just typical of a RYAN coached team and what will be the "punishment" if any for Douzable?

As I stated before, If Parcells were coach and that happened, Leger would have walked home from Buffalo and then been CUT. Of course if Parcells were coach, that wouldnt have occurred but thats another issue for another day.

Those simple mistakes have plauged this team for the past 5 years and they just cant be tolerated.

Bill Parcells was undefeated here.  No player ever made a mistake on Bill Parcells led team.  Bill Parcells held Curtis Martin accountable for his performance in Denver.  Bill Parcells single handedly cost the Jets the playoffs with that Leon Johnson pass one year.  Infallible! You can complain about the play and the totality of permissiveness by Rex, but complaining that he didn't cut one guy who has outplayed his contract based on one play no matter how big, is going a bit far. 

dbatesman is totes a Rex apologist.  Totes.

Dierking too. 

Sanjay Lal. I was thinking the same thing. He seems to be a dud. The guy he brought over from the Raiders didn't do too well either.

He seems to be an improvement over Henry Ellard FWIW.  If the coaches change and the players keep sucking it is likely the players suck. 

What's more mind-boggling....that Bitonti thinks this is a credible source, or that Bitonti pays for fantasy football content?  lulza.

I actually work for them. WHich will undoubtedly lead to more jokes. 

people do pay for subscriptions, if you are in a 1000$ league, paying 30 bucks for analysis is nothing

they do game by game recaps here's the whole BUF one you be the judge if it's any good...( i didn't write this btw)

WEEK 11 GAME RECAP: NEW YORK JETS 14, BUFFALO BILLS 37

New York Jets

QB Geno Smith, Pass: 8 - 23 - 103 - 0 TD / 3 INT, Rush: 1 - 0 - 0

The New York Jets have a clear quarterback problem. Coming off a bye week, Geno Smith was absolutely brutal, committing four turnovers which included his fourth ‘pick six’ of the season. Buffalo’s defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine, dialed up exotic blitzes early and often and Smith was not able to find a rhythm. Early in the first quarter, Smith took a vicious shot from Marcell Darius that knocked the wind out of him and he missed a play. Smith committed two first half turnovers, one on a strip sack and another on a play where Smith did not look off Jarius Byrd and Byrd intercepted the pass. Smith completed just 3 of 9 first half passes for 44 yards which included a wobbly, underthrown 33-yard completion to Santonio Holmes. After halftime, Smith’s play actually worsened. Smith was intercepted two more times including a ‘pick-six’ by Da’Norris Seary on a wide receiver screen to Santonio Holmes. Smith was benched early in the fourth quarter as Buffalo carried a very comfortable 34-7 lead. The windy field conditions did not help Smith, but EJ Manuel did not have a problem carving up New York’s secondary without the help of Steve Johnson. New York’s offensive line play was dismal as Smith took four sacks and was hit a total of eight times. Smith could not handle nor adjust to Buffalo’s blitz schemes, which have been a common theme this season. After the game, Rex Ryan confirmed that Smith would start next week against Baltimore, but his tone suggested Smith would be on a short leash. Smith’s finished the game with a 0.9 QBR, which was by far his lowest rating of the season. This performance was reminiscent of Smith’s game against Tennessee when he looked completely lost against their pressure and exotic blitzes. Smith’s confidence is clearly waning and he must play better next week in Baltimore if he wants to keep his job. Hopefully, Smith and his offense spend more time watching film and less time at Dave & Buster’s.

QB Matt Simms, Pass: 4 - 6 - 60 - 1 TD / 0 INT

Early in the fourth quarter, Matt Simms took over for Geno Smith. Facing a 34-7 deficit, Simms found some success against Buffalo’s zone coverage. Simms completed his first three passes which culminated with a 13-yard touchdown pass to Jeff Cumberland. Cumberland ran a post route and Simms delivered a strong throw for the score. Simms led one more drive into the Buffalo territory, but his throws were off target and he turned the ball over on downs. After the game, Rex Ryan confirmed that Geno Smith would start next week against Baltimore, but his tone suggested Smith would be on a short leash.

RB Chris Ivory, Rush: 15 - 98 - 1 (1 targets)

Chris Ivory’s final stat line was not indicative of his play throughout the game. 75 of his 98 yards occurred during the fourth quarter when Buffalo boasted a 27-point lead. Late in the fourth quarter, Ivory ripped off a long run off right tackle for 69 yards. Buffalo was not prepared for the play and Ivory showed nice burst into the open field. Outside of this play, eight of Ivory’s 15 carries went for two yards or less. Ivory was able to cash in on a short 1-yard touchdown plunge in the third-quarter, but it took him two carries inside the 5-yard line to convert.

RB Bilal Powell, Rush: 5 - 27 - 0, Rec: 1 - 1 - 0 (1 targets)

Bilal Powell has settled into a change of pace, third down back role within New York’s offense. Powell only received three first half touches, including a 10-yard run off right tackle. The Jets trailed by at least 13 points during the second half, but surprisingly, Powell was used sparingly. Geno Smith threw a quick shovel pass to Powell inside Buffalo’s 5-yard line, but Powell was unable to find the end zone. New York called Ivory’s number on the next play and he scored from 1-yard out.

WR Santonio Holmes, Rec: 2 - 71 - 0 (8 targets)

After missing the last five games with a hamstring injury, Santonio Holmes returned and provided a spark to New York’s offense. Holmes was targeted a team high eight times and made a big play early in the first quarter. Geno Smith uncorked an underthrown, wobbly pass that Holmes adjusted to mid-flight. Holmes was able to get under the pass and secure a 33-yard gain. Holmes’ second and final reception occurred during the third quarter when he ran a deep post route for a 38-yard gain. Holmes was targeted on Smith’s ‘pick six’ and after the game, safety Da’Norris Searcy said Holmes’ body language tipped him off on the route and he was able to make a play. Holmes comes with a lot of baggage, but his play making ability is invaluable.

WR Greg Salas, Rec: 2 - 32 - 0 (2 targets)

Jeremy Kerley is recovering from an elbow dislocation, so Greg Salas’ snap count has increased. Early in the first quarter, Salas ran a quick slant route and secured a 10-yard gain. Late in the fourth quarter, Salas ran a deep drag towards the right sideline and secured a 22-yard gain.

WR David Nelson, Rec: 1 - 12 - 0 (3 targets)

Nelson’s first and only reception occurred late during the fourth quarter. On a 3rd-and-12 play, Matt Simms threw a quick screen to Nelson and he ran for 12 yards after the catch.

WR Stephen Hill (7 targets)

Despite receiving seven targets, Hill was held without a reception for the second straight game. Hill’s production is plagued by inconsistent quarterback play. Five of Hill’s seven targets were overthrown asGeno Smith was unable deliver accurate passes under duress. Hill’s other two targets were underthrown as Buffalo’s defensive lineman tipped passes at the line of scrimmage.

TE Jeff Cumberland, Rec: 3 - 25 - 1 (4 targets)

Jeff Cumberland started and appeared in his first game since Week 8. Geno Smith targeted Cumberland just two times during his three quarters of play, which was extremely surprising. Cumberland became Smith’s favorite target early in the season, so his lack of targets was surprising. Cumberland was targeted on one of Smith’s interceptions, but Smith did not look off Jarius Byrd as he tried to find Cumberland on a seam route. Cumberland secured two of his three receptions with Matt Simms at quarterback, including a 13-yard touchdown on a post route. Kellen Winslow returned from his suspension, but only secured one catch.

TE Kellen Winslow Jr, Rec: 1 - 17 - 0 (1 targets)

Kellen Winslow returned from his suspension, but secured just one catch for 17 yards. Midway through the third quarter, Winslow ran an intermediate crossing route and secured a 17-yard gain. It’s worth noting that Jeff Cumberland started the game and received the majority of snaps at tight end.

Buffalo Bills

QB EJ Manuel, Pass: 20 - 28 - 245 - 2 TD / 0 INT, Rush: 7 - 9 - 0

After such a horrific showing in his first game back in Week 10, Bills fans have to be bursting with joy after what they saw from Manuel in his second game back against a defense that befuddled him in the first meeting between Buffalo and New York. Intent on playing it safe early with the swirling Buffalo winds, Manuel’s first throw didn’t come until the 2nd drive. Manuel and Marquise Goodwin connected for 10 yards on 2nd down with QB setting a nice screen to CJ Spiller for nine yards two plays later. Nearing midfield and facing a 3rd and one, the offense took a bad false start penalty and Manuel’s throw was batted down at the line effectively killing the drive just as it appeared to be gaining momentum. Manuel responded well, however, working the short throws and the offense down the field on the next drive. First a quick out to Chris Hogan for 11 yards followed by another seven yards to Goodwin on a hitch. Manuel underthrew Goodwin two plays later on a shot down the field, but still managed to place the ball where his WR could get his hands on it before it fell incomplete. The former Seminole went right back to the short game, connecting with Hogan for the second time on the drive for 12 yards, this time on 3rd down. Another 10-yard completion put the offense in 3rd and short, but would have to settle for a FG after Manuel’s throw to Lee Smith sailed well over the TE’s head on the short pass. The QB continued to throw confidently on the following drive, completing his next four passes before setting up the big play. After the punting unit was able to draw the Jets offside, Manuel made them pay with a short sneak on 4th down to extend the drive. Three plays later the rookie unleashed one of his uglier throws, but TJ Graham made a great adjustment on the severely underthrown ball and walked into the end zone with a 34-yard TD. On the play Manuel did a nice job recognizing the immediate pressure coming on his right and was able to uncork it before getting hit, but the fade to Graham seemed to hang in the air longer than Phil Mickelson chip shot. Dee Milliner had his back turned on the throw and when Graham hit the brakes to adjust, Milliner carried right into the end zone. All alone, Graham merely made one cut inside before sauntering in for the TD. Manuel wouldn’t drop back again until two drives later, narrowly missing another TD pass. The Jets brought pressure, but Fred Jackson blew the rusher up, which allowed the QB to sneak to his right outside the pocket. Manuel was forced to put the throw on a line to cut through the wind and Hogan was unable to adjust quickly enough to make a play on the pass. Not looking as sharp out of halftime, Manuel and the offense were forced to punt on consecutive possessions despite a really smart play from Manuel on the latter of those possessions. Trying to get the handoff to Jackson on a stretch run, Manuel couldn’t reach his RB and quickly made the most of the busted play as he booted off the “fake” and turned what could have been a disaster into a productive run. The drive stalled, but the quick action of the rookie QB didn’t go unnoticed. Finally facing some adversity with the Jets cutting the lead down to 10, the QB responded abruptly and brutally. Starting on their own 17, Manuel’s first throw was a deep fade to a streaking Graham down the sideline. The ball was perfectly placed on his outside shoulder and Graham hauled it in for a 40-yard gain. Manuel dropped back on the following play and again attacked down the field, this time on the opposite side. A perfect throw, Manuel precisely dropped the dime out in front of a streaking Goodwin and as he was able to run under the throw without breaking stride and waltz in for a 44-yard TD catch. The offense did nothing over the next two drives, but again sprung back to life after another New York score. Facing a 3rd and nine, Manuel threw a dart to Scott Chandler as he ran a crosser and the TE was able to turn the catch into a 31-yard gain. The throw was Manuel’s last and led to three more points going on the board.

RB C.J. Spiller, Rush: 13 - 6 - 0, Rec: 2 - 10 - 0 (2 targets)

Spiller played half the snaps Jackson did, but still managed to snatch up one more carry than his fellow RB and did get the first of two carries inside the five-yard line. Spiller also opened another drive that started inside New York territory with the consecutive runs and was given a nice hole on the 2nd run. Unfortunately C Eric Wood was driven right into Spiller’s lap just as he took the handoff and he could do little to navigate with no space to work with. Completely ineffective, Spiller was often hit well behind the line of scrimmage (5 of 13 runs went for zero or negative yards) or right at it as his longest run went for three yards. On the play Spiller finally found some room through the line, but it was short-lived as the Jets quickly collapsed and the RB was indecisive and caught moving side to side instead of exploding upfield. Like Jackson, Spiller snatched both targets for 10 yards receiving with a long of eight coming on a screen pass.

RB Fred Jackson, Rush: 12 - 34 - 0, Rec: 2 - 5 - 0 (2 targets)

Jackson lead the Bills in rushing Sunday, but like the rest of the rushing attack, it wasn’t pretty. Jackson opened the game with consecutive carries for seven yards, but wasn’t able to match that yardage output until the opening drive of the 2nd drive. Jackson’s long of seven yards came on that first carry out of halftime and would be the first of three straight for the RB. Running right, Jackson made a nice cut in the backfield and found a rare crease in the New York defensive line. Quickly turning up field, Jackson was able to pick up seven yards on the carry. Two plays later disaster appeared to strike as Jackson took the handoff on a read option. Fighting through the line on an important 3rd down, Jackson took a shot to the outside of his left knee and was writhing in pain almost immediately. The tough-as-nails RB ultimately returned the following drive, but never rushed for more than two yards on any of his remaining carries. Rather surprisingly Jackson missed out on the two carries inside the New York five-yard line, but he was in the backfield on the second of those two carries. Jackson also caught both of his targets, but only amassed five total receiving yards with a long of six yards coming on a screen.

RB Frank Summers, Rush: 2 - 4 - 1, Rec: 1 - 5 - 0 (1 targets)

Summers only carried the ball twice for four yards, but he did score the lone rushing touchdown. Summers took the quick handoff straight into the teeth of the Jet defensive line and burst through unscathed on the run. Summers also caught one pass, picking up five yards on the quick dump off in the flat.

RB Tashard Choice, Rush: 2 - 1 - 0, Rec: 1 - 0 - 0 (1 targets)

Choice only received two carries, but like the rest of the rushing “attack”, was ineffective. So ineffective that in his three touches, Choice only amassed one yard.

WR Marquise Goodwin, Rush: 1 - 17 - 0, Rec: 6 - 81 - 1 (9 targets)

His first start as a rookie, Goodwin made sure to impress as he led the passing offense in every receiving category including nine targets and a long of 44 yards. Goodwin’s first catch came on the Bills second drive as he picked up 10 yards on a hitch. The following drive, Goodwin again took advantage of soft coverage as he picked up seven more yards on another quick hitch. Two plays later the rookie just missed a huge play on a deep throw down the middle of the field. On a line instead of out in front of Goodwin, the pass forced Goodwin to play back to the ball and fight the coverage. Somehow the toss made it through the arms of Antonio Cromartie and hit Goodwin’s hands, but the WR couldn’t make the tough catch as it fell incomplete. After two short gains on his next two catches, the former Longhorn would get one more shot down the field midway through the 3rd quarter and he made sure to make this one count. With Cromartie lined up across from him, Goodwin made the talented CB look like he was standing still as he ran right past him on the vertical route. Cromartie never got a hand on him nor was able to force the speedster to break stride and he easily ran under the perfectly thrown ball from Manuel for the 44-yard TD catch leaving the DB in his wake. The play was the Bills longest on the day. Goodwin also received one carry on an end around and set the game high for the Bills rushing attack on the 17-yard gain.

WR Chris Hogan, Rec: 3 - 29 - 0 (4 targets)

Known as ‘7-11’ for his ability to consistently get open, Hogan made sure to represent his nickname well early on. On the Bills first scoring drive, Hogan picked up two crucial 1st downs on the same route. Working out of the slot, Hogan’s first catch went for 11 yards on an out. Four plays later, this time on 3rd down; Hogan ran another out for 12 yards. Hogan’s final catch came on the first drive out of halftime and looked very much like his first two. Again needing a 1st down, Manuel hit the WR on an out for six yards when the offense needed three to convert the half’s first 3rd down.

WR T.J. Graham, Rush: 1 - -3 - 0, Rec: 2 - 74 - 1 (4 targets)

Graham was only targeted four times as he caught two including a long of 40 yards. Graham’s first catch was exactly what the offense needed and really changed the dynamic of the game. Facing rookie CB Dee Milliner, Graham looked to run a deep fade on 3rd down. Throwing into the wind and having not set his feet, Manuel lobbed a pass to the WR that was clearly underthrown. Graham made a great adjustment on the questionable pass as Milliner, whose back was to the play, reacted too slowly. Coming back to the throw, Graham centerfielded the ball and only need to make one cut inside before walking into the end zone with a 34-yard TD catch. Needing another big play, Manuel went back to Graham against the same coverage with the same throw midway through the 3rd quarter. This time the throw was much better and Graham was able to haul it in for a 40-yard gain despite decent coverage from Milliner. Graham never looks quite as natural catching the ball, but the big play allowed Buffalo to get outside the shadows of their own goalposts just as New York was attempting to flip the momentum. Like Goodwin, Graham received one carry on an end around, but his was much less successful as he lost three yards on the play.

TE Scott Chandler, Rec: 2 - 40 - 0 (3 targets)

Chandler only caught two of his three targets, including an important 31-yard catch on the Bills final scoring drive. Running a crosser, Chandler was able to break the initial (very weak) attempted tackle from Ed Reed in the open field. With no defender in sight, Chandler was able to turn up field for 19 more yards on the play. Chandler’s other catch went for nine yards as he played safety valve sitting in the zone in the middle of the field.

TE Lee Smith, Rec: 1 - 1 - 0 (2 targets)

Not really a part of the passing offense, Smith did receive two targets on Sunday. However, his impact was minimal as his lone catch only went for one yard.

Bill Parcells was undefeated here.  No player ever made a mistake on Bill Parcells led team.  Bill Parcells held Curtis Martin accountable for his performance in Denver.  Bill Parcells single handedly cost the Jets the playoffs with that Leon Johnson pass one year.  Infallible! You can complain about the play and the totality of permissiveness by Rex, but complaining that he didn't cut one guy who has outplayed his contract based on one play no matter how big, is going a bit far. 

Dierking too. 

He seems to be an improvement over Henry Ellard FWIW.  If the coaches change and the players keep sucking it is likely the players suck.

Come on, we all know that Parcells wasnt perfect, no coach is, and the Leon Johnson pass was an incredible gaffe. No one is arguing that BUT when I think of Discipline, accountability, in game management and adjustments, no coach that I ever witnessed was better than the Tuna.

Phil Simms said it best when asked when he was playing, Did you like Parcells? and his reponse was "hell no, we hated that guy, but he had us so well prepared, and scared the hell out of us, that we had to play well"

Simms also went on to say, "if you made a mistake in the game, you didnt look at Bill or go near Bill because he would take your head off, but you never made that mistake again".

Sorry, I know I put Parcells on a mantle, but all the qualities I liked about Parcells, I hardly see any in REX, and I know they are 2 different people but please, is it asking too much to have some discipline and some accountability on this team.

Archived