The Drumbeat slowly gets louder for Simms to Start

Latinlawyer

If you have seen the last 4 Jets games, its clear that Smith needs to ride the pine and Simms needs to get a chance. At 5-6, the team needs a spark and Simms may provide that. I think i t could be hard to be any worse than Geno in these last 4 games. He just looks completely lost and frankly, he needs to ride the pine and we need to see if Simms can be that spark. Sending Geno out again will not prove anything except they are giving Geno the same length of rope as Sanchez and we all know how that turned out. 

Give Simms the next start. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it, looking at the whole body of work, Eugene, aside from a few really good throws, has not been an accurate passer.  He consistently has underthrown the deep ball and overthrown the medium range passes.  Being inaccurate redefines what is open, unless a receiver is blanketed by double coverage - the receiver is always open - as long as the velocity and placement of the ball is perfect - Gen0 has proven he cannot throw the ball on target on a consistent basis and consequently sits back and waits for that perfect opportunity where a receiver breaks wide open - that rarely happens. He showed some poise, some moxie, created some hope, however in the end, I just do not see him as the future...

It doesn't help that Smith has absolutely no receiver talent to work with, but he's scared.  He has the Kellen Clemens look from a few years ago when you just knew he'd never be anything.  Just look at his face.  

I don't think Simms is the answer, but I KNOW Geno Smith isn't.  Let's see if Simms is worth keeping around next season.  

Go ahead and start him, it'll get rid of everyone's blue balls when you realize he sucks also.

I think we know what we have with Ge-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Let's see what Simms can do. If he sh*ts the bed, well then you probably need to draft a QB and pick up some back up talent from the undrafted free agent pool. However, we know what we are gonna get from Eugene Smith, you are going to get the staredown the wr looks, you are going to get underthrown deep balls, you are going to get a QB that holds onto the ball too long and you are going to get a QB who is playing in fear. Let's give Matt Simms a shot, at this point we need a spark and Eugene ain't it. 

The way I see it, looking at the whole body of work, Eugene, aside from a few really good throws, has not been an accurate passer.  He consistently has underthrown the deep ball and overthrown the medium range passes.  Being inaccurate redefines what is open, unless a receiver is blanketed by double coverage - the receiver is always open - as long as the velocity and placement of the ball is perfect - Gen0 has proven he cannot throw the ball on target on a consistent basis and consequently sits back and waits for that perfect opportunity where a receiver breaks wide open - that rarely happens. He showed some poise, some moxie, created some hope, however in the end, I just do not see him as the future...

you are exactly right douchebag

(i like this poster esp since i can always call him a douchebag and be nice about it)

It's probably not getting louder to the people who matter. The Matt Simms sh*t needs to die more than this season does (I at least have optimism left for the season). It's like nothing has been learned by this fanbase - we've done the whole "ZOMG START THE BACKUP HE"S TOTES THE BEST ONE ON THE ROSTER BRO"  thing a million times before and it's been found to be horsesh*t each and every time.

It's probably not getting louder to the people who matter. The Matt Simms sh*t needs to die more than this season does (I at least have optimism left for the season). It's like nothing has been learned by this fanbase - we've done the whole "ZOMG START THE BACKUP HE"S TOTES THE BEST ONE ON THE ROSTER BRO" thing a million times before and it's been found to be horsesh*t each and every time.

And Geno hasn't been horsesh*t? It's not like we are asking the CS to bench Brady. It is Geno we are talking about. Yes, the one that managed 3points on offense. I'm sure we can score even if we had Brad Smith as a QB.

Staring down the receivers the way he does isn't helping anything, other than the opposing defense that is.

That last interception was exactly a product of that as replay showed. The guy who picked the pass off was covering Hill down the sideline but saw Smith staring down Salas inside and peeled off for the pick. Smith doesn't look like the answer long term right now, but who knows? Simms would appease the fans, until his first two picks. The problem with this team is that expectations were raised when the team was 5-4 going into the bye. Did we REALLY expect a playoff run with a rookie QB? I said 6-10 would be their record and probably WILL be. I don't see who the Jets can beat. Miami? Nah. Oakland or Cleveland - maybe both - are the realistic CHANCES at a win. Once Rex is gone, this team will become accountable and a REAL HC will take over. HOPEFULLY.

That last interception was exactly a product of that as replay showed. The guy who picked the pass off was covering Hill down the sideline but saw Smith staring down Salas inside and peeled off for the pick. Smith doesn't look like the answer long term right now, but who knows? Simms would appease the fans, until his first two picks. The problem with this team is that expectations were raised when the team was 5-4 going into the bye. Did we REALLY expect a playoff run with a rookie QB? I said 6-10 would be their record and probably WILL be. I don't see who the Jets can beat. Miami? Nah. Oakland or Cleveland - maybe both - are the realistic CHANCES at a win. Once Rex is gone, this team will become accountable and a REAL HC will take over. HOPEFULLY.

Yes everyone knew this was a not a good team going into the season but that doesn't excuse the noncompetitive nature of the offense that isn't worthy of an NFL field for the 4th year in a row. 

if they didn't put in Matt Simms yet they are never putting him in

the treatment of Geno Smith a 2nd round pick like he was a top 5 pick is mind boggling

Not when you consider who the HC is. Not to defend the indefensible Rex Ryan, but what else is he gonna do? Garrard is crap who has nothing left, and Simms may provide a quick lift, but doubtful he delivers many wins. The backup QB is ALWAYS the most popular guy when the starter struggles. Jets are stuck with Geno for the season, the fans need to quit thinking about playoffs and understand this is a REBUILDING year, and one where we hopefully get rid of Rex once and for all.

It's probably not getting louder to the people who matter. The Matt Simms sh*t needs to die more than this season does (I at least have optimism left for the season). It's like nothing has been learned by this fanbase - we've done the whole "ZOMG START THE BACKUP HE"S TOTES THE BEST ONE ON THE ROSTER BRO"  thing a million times before and it's been found to be horsesh*t each and every time.

See IMO I know Geno has the talent to be a serviceable NFL starter, how much better than serviceable we won't know for at least 2 years, and if it were me evaluating what the Jets have for the future I know I can pencil Geno in as a guy who will come into camp next year, and be given a chance to compete, and show he has taken further steps in his development. And because of that opinion, and the opinion that even thou I see certain things in Geno to make him a serviceable QB, I also see a player who could further damage his psyche, he is not getting better now, so the Jets as an organization need to do their due diligence for the future, and give a Matt Simms a tryout against live bullets with a full week to game plan, and take snaps with the 1st team, see if you have a QB going forward with something that warrants attention for next season, and beyond, and come up with 1, of 3 scenarios, 1. Capable of being a starting NFL QB (least likely), 2. Good enough to trust for a spot start, and give the team a chance to win, or 3. Useless garbage, and we need to bring in multiple QB's next season to compete with Geno for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string.

I mean the Raiders are starting Matt McGloin! If Matt McGloin was on the Jets, and in the same spot Simms is the same people who want to start Simms would be making threads to start McGloin, and the same people saying Simms is hot garbage would say the same about Matt McGloin, and watch what you wish for (I know the Raiders lost yesterday, but I thought I saw McGloin play some decent QB, I only saw a handful of plays thou).

I mean the Raiders are starting Matt McGloin! If Matt McGloin was on the Jets, and in the same spot Simms is the same people who want to start Simms would be making threads to start McGloin, and the same people saying Simms is hot garbage would say the same about Matt McGloin, and watch what you wish for (I know the Raiders lost yesterday, but I thought I saw McGloin play some decent QB, I only saw a handful of plays thou).    

McGloin could be THIS YEARS Matt Flynn or he could be the real deal. Won't know until he's played more than two games. QB play is so weak in the NFL that talentless guys like Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn and even Brady Quinn continue to get signed to NFL contracts. One problem with the Jets historically is they can't identify a quality QB and when they get one they invariably fail to provide him with either protection or weapons. Ken O'Brien was a good QB who may have been great if he had some blocking and Sanchez was on the rise until Rex sent all his weapons away.     

Say what you will about the announcers, they did make one good point-the receivers have to help out a rookie QB.

A first year QB especially has to get off to a good start in a game to get his rhythm going. 

All I saw was dropped passes, very catchable, in the first quarter.  Right away I knew this was going to be bad.  I kept hoping for some receiver to step up to give the kid some momentum, but these are 2013 Jets receivers-ie. guys off the street who are struggling to learn the plays and get into a rhythm themselves.

Eli was this bad until the Giants got Plaxico in his prime-the difference was startling.  There is no Plaxico on the Jets, or anything like him.  And the offensive line has been leaking like a sieve-on many plays the pass rush almost beats Geno to the "pocket".

Whether Simms is the answer or not.....what has Geno done to remain the starter? What are we really losing here by benching Geno for Simms? Say Simms comes in and has a sht show....so be it...at least we know he can't play against the ones and they can decide at that point which of the shttier qbs they want to stick with....probably Geno at that point but at least the whole Simms thing can be put to rest.

Whether Simms is the answer or not.....what has Geno done to remain the starter? What are we really losing here by benching Geno for Simms? Say Simms comes in and has a sht show....so be it...at least we know he can't play against the ones and they can decide at that point which of the shttier qbs they want to stick with....probably Geno at that point but at least the whole Simms thing can be put to rest.

Agree

Simms will probably stink.  The key word is probably.  We already know that at this point Smith does suck.  Lets see if Simms has matured since Tenn.

If not the Jets move on from Simms next year, find more competition for Smith, and see what happens next (Groan)

Neither of them are going to do well with the sieve of an OL we have.

When we play Bottom 16 D's there's a chance but if a team is capable of getting after the QB with different looks or good edge rushers - the Jets OL sucks so badly that whoever's in there will be running for their life.  

Neither of them are going to do well with the sieve of an OL we have.

When we play Bottom 16 D's there's a chance but if a team is capable of getting after the QB with different looks or good edge rushers - the Jets OL sucks so badly that whoever's in there will be running for their life.  

The reason for that is that teams can do whatever they want, whenever they want to. They do not have to fear Geno, if anything, they are expecting gifts from him. They are stuffing the line and the receivers are aborting routes. The line may not be great, it is also not as bad as you and your boy Geno are making it.

The reason for that is that teams can do whatever they want, whenever they want to. They do not have to fear Geno, if anything, they are expecting gifts from him. They are stuffing the line and the receivers are aborting routes. The line may not be great, it is also not as bad as you and your boy Geno are making it.

The lines been bad. Teams that an create interior pressure kill us. Geno back peddles because it's a bad habit, but there haven't been many clean pockets to step into either. Brady had all day last night.

The lines been bad. Teams that an create interior pressure kill us. Geno back peddles because it's a bad habit, but there haven't been many clean pockets to step into either. Brady had all day last night.

again, the line is collapsing much more quickly because any team can bring the house without fear. It goes hand in hand

I say this without any foolish expectations about him being this hidden jewel of an amazing player that the coaches didn't know we had, but yet the fans did.... I say this as a pragmatist who wants the GM to use what is left of 2013 to evaluate the QB position... give Simms the start.

Oh look I found my crystal ball. Let's see what it tells us.

Good News looks like we beat Miami next week but it's the defence that forces a strip sack fumble setting up a Folk feild goal. Geno's numbers not good 2 picks and about 150 yds passing. Fans Happy but very dowm on Geno.

Oh flash foward to Oakland game. Oh things are not good here. Geno has thrown 3 picks in the 1st half. Crowd is furios Jets down 7-3 at the half. What's this Rex is livid and is pulling Geno

and putting in Simms. The crowd is going nuts. WOW Simms leads the team to a TOUCHDOWN. Jets D stands their ground we win 10-7. Joy in JN as Simms is named starter.

The boards are lit up with a major positive outlook.

Uh-oh flash to Carolina game. OMG Simms is sacked 9 times Jets lose 41-3. Cam Newton is laughing at a crying Matt Simms on the sidelines.

Oh now it's Monday Rex goes back to Geno.....Crystal ball goes black.

hmmmmmm why does this seem familiar to me.

Archived