The Drumbeat slowly gets louder for Simms to Start

Latinlawyer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for that is that teams can do whatever they want, whenever they want to. They do not have to fear Geno, if anything, they are expecting gifts from him. They are stuffing the line and the receivers are aborting routes. The line may not be great, it is also not as bad as you and your boy Geno are making it.

Settle down Ace ... Geno's not my boy  -  I'd love to see Simm's get a shot. The Jets offensive line sucks and coaches who know how and have the personnel to exploit it (watch the films from the last 2 games  - oh ... throw the on the Pittsburgh game if you've got it too) will put pressure on anybody under center. 

The only thing that's going to make that pressure back off is a QB that doesn't telegraph his throws and sees the field well so he can accurately get rid of the ball to somebody that's open when the pressure comes.

Jets lose here too as the crap corps of receivers can't catch the balls they're expecting - forget about the ones they're not.  

To be where we're at (still thrown up on the board as wild card contenders) is nothing short of a miracle with the many holes we have in this line up.

I believe that Idzak will continue to do a good job of getting those holes filled - but it ain't happening this year. 

Rex is a good defensive coach, but he has no offensive mind, and he makes TERRIBLE decisions. Bad challenges, bad timeouts, bad time management, not benching Sanchez, not benching Geno, etc.

Fire him, bench Geno, bench Dee, and be ready to bench Cro. That right there will make our team better instantly.

Wilson, Walls, Simms #****ingplayoffsbaby

It's probably not getting louder to the people who matter. The Matt Simms sh*t needs to die more than this season does (I at least have optimism left for the season). It's like nothing has been learned by this fanbase - we've done the whole "ZOMG START THE BACKUP HE"S TOTES THE BEST ONE ON THE ROSTER BRO"  thing a million times before and it's been found to be horsesh*t each and every time.

i dont think most people are under any delusions that simms is great. its just that alot of see that smith is garbage

I dont think Geno has the ability to anticipate Winters not blocking anyone.

Basic reads, under heavy duress...who should these passes be completed to? Who the hell is Greg Salas?

There are probably only 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL that could succeed with the Jets current supporting cast.    Salas and Nelson couldn't make the roster on any of the 31 other NFL teams and they are starters on the NYJ.     Not goood.

You'd really have to watch the game film to see if people are getting open or not.   My guess is no and Geno has nowhere to throw the ball.    I think that's why people want to see Simms.  If we get the same results then we can at least excuse Geno a little bit.    Also, Simms seems to move a little better in the pocket and helps his guys get open a little. 

There are probably only 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL that could succeed with the Jets current supporting cast.    Salas and Nelson couldn't make the roster on any of the 31 other NFL teams and they are starters on the NYJ.     Not goood.

You'd really have to watch the game film to see if people are getting open or not.   My guess is no and Geno has nowhere to throw the ball.    I think that's why people want to see Simms.  If we get the same results then we can at least excuse Geno a little bit.    Also, Simms seems to move a little better in the pocket and helps his guys get open a little. 

This is dead on.

The Jets 2nd Stringer has been the "go-to savior" of this franchise since Pat Ryan.

.....and just like the 1st stringer they've replaced, every change has led to further disaster.

Nothing wrong with a change at this point for a potential spark, but anyone thinking Matt Simms throwing to David Nelson and Greg Salas will greatly improve this offense is deluding themselves.

I wanted to see Simms start the beginning of the season because I did not think Geno was ready and I did not want to see him get ruined. Ruining Matt Simms is no loss, ruining another highly drafted QB is another big setback.

At this point the only gain is to give Geno some time to watch on the sidelines and see if Simms can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I don't think he can, but it would help evaluate Geno a bit more if Simms looks much better with this crap team around him, it would not speak well for Geno.

I don't think Rex has one ounce of say in this decision, this is 100% up to Idzik IMO.

The receiver situation starting the season was supposed to be Holmes after a few games, Kerley, and an improved Stephen Hill, with Gates maturing and becoming a situational long threat.  Tight end was supposed to be an improved Cumberland and Winslow.  Basically a couple of pieces and a lot of hope.  And it worked early in the season.

Smith's "slump" seems to coincide with Holmes' in and out of the lineup, Gates' injury the very game that he finally starts to come around,  Cumberland getting hurt and Winslow's suspension. Then Kerley's injury, atop everything else,  robs Geno of the virtually the only proven pass catcher he's had all season.

What the hell do you people expect?

The receiver situation starting the season was supposed to be Holmes after a few games, Kerley, and an improved Stephen Hill, with Gates maturing and becoming a situational long threat. Tight end was supposed to be an improved Cumberland and Winslow. Basically a couple of pieces and a lot of hope. And it worked early in the season.

Smith's "slump" seems to coincide with Holmes' in and out of the lineup, Gates' injury the very game that he starts to come around, Cumberland getting hurt and Winslow's suspension. Then Kerley's injury, atop everything else, robs Geno of the virtually the only proven pass catcher he's had all season.

What the hell do you people expect?

If Geno were any good he'd make Salas look like Biletnikoff. Something like that.

i dont think most people are under any delusions that simms is great. its just that alot of see that smith is garbage

Somehow the only conclusion they can come out with is that the guy who couldn't beat Smith in camp is the solution to this? Smith is still an infinitely better starting QB prospect - there is no doubt about that. 

Somehow the only conclusion they can come out with is that the guy who couldn't beat Smith in camp is the solution to this? Smith is still an infinitely better starting QB prospect - there is no doubt about that. 

What are you basing this on? I mean if it is off of Smith's play so far this year, that would imply Simms has no business playing even high school football right now, Smith has been that bad.

Im not saying he won't prove to be the better prospect, he very well may be, but this is a pretty strong statement that really cannot be backed up by anything other than college play and draft position, certainly not what we have seen in actual games.

i

think its more like we know smith is crap so lets ee what we have in simms at least as far as a backup goes

Nothing wrong with a change at this point for a potential spark, but anyone thinking Matt Simms throwing to David Nelson and Greg Salas will greatly improve this offense is deluding themselves.

any change to this offense will be an improvement. Whether it is "greatly" improved remains to be seen. But one thing is for certain, it can't be any worse.

if the competition was fair, simms would have beat out mark and geno both

Why is that?  Because he had better #'s in college?   Simms sucked in college.  No question.  I was stunned when the Jets kept him this year.  Thought he was one of the worst QB's I had ever seen when he played for Tenn.

The QB who played  this preseason, wasn't the same QB who played for Tenn.  He seems to have matured tremendously.  He always had a rocket arm, maybe he grew up.   he was the best QB in camp.  Smith was #3

Not saying he is going to be great, but we know Smith sucks.

What are you basing this on? I mean if it is off of Smith's play so far this year, that would imply Simms has no business playing even high school football right now, Smith has been that bad.

Im not saying he won't prove to be the better prospect, he very well may be, but this is a pretty strong statement that really cannot be backed up by anything other than college play and draft position, certainly not what we have seen in actual games.

Everything up to this point in their football careers. 

He is the better prospect. College play and draft position are kind of big deals when talking about being a better prospect. There's not even a doubt that Geno is a better prospect. Some of you really just need to understand that even sh*tty QBs can have a good second half in preseason game 4. That doesn't mean Matt Simms is any good, and it definitely doesn't mean he needs to get a shot at even the tiniest hint that there might be an opportunity to give him a shot. Not in lieu of a significantly better prospect, which Geno Smith is.

At this point the only gain is to give Geno some time to watch on the sidelines and see if Simms can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I don't think he can, but it would help evaluate Geno a bit more if Simms looks much better with this crap team around him, it would not speak well for Geno.

you mean chicken salas out of chicken sh*t

no....the point would be to see his potential and hopefully the worst you find out he's a serviceable back-up

Sounds like a waste of time. If you're playing a QB it should be because he might be the starter for the next decade. "I at least hope to find out he's a serviceable backup" is not something that should be said about the QB starting for an NFL team.

Matt Simms probably sucks, fourth preseason games are made for guys like him, and Smith is in all likelihood STILL significantly better despite not navigated his rookie season in the NFL with perfect, pretty numbers in every start.

. not navigated his rookie season in the NFL with perfect, pretty numbers in every start.

No no no, you have it wrong.  The way to do it is to get two young QBs, throw one of them out there and stick with him as long as he looks good.  After a couple of games of not looking good you yank him and put in the other young guy and keep him in there until he has a couple of bad games.  Then you put first guy back in to see if he's gotten any better.  If that doesn't work either put the other guy back in or start some free agent you picked up on Tuesday.

That's the way to build an offense in the NFL!

No no no, you have it wrong.  The way to do it is to get two young QBs, throw one of them out there and stick with him as long as he looks good.  After a couple of games of not looking good you yank him and put in the other young guy and keep him in there until he has a couple of bad games.  Then you put first guy back in to see if he's gotten any better.  If that doesn't work either put the other guy back in or start some free agent you picked up on Tuesday.

That's the way to build an offense in the NFL!

You also need an offensive coordinator and offensive head coach to go with that QB, and then don't forget pass catchers after that. 

Sounds like a waste of time. If you're playing a QB it should be because he might be the starter for the next decade. "I at least hope to find out he's a serviceable backup" is not something that should be said about the QB starting for an NFL team.

Matt Simms probably sucks, fourth preseason games are made for guys like him, and Smith is in all likelihood STILL significantly better despite not navigated his rookie season in the NFL with perfect, pretty numbers in every start.

thats not what i'm saying but i'm tired ofsaying it so whatever. smith is a waste of time

Archived