Geno Smith starting this week (MERGED)

unbanmadmike1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simms did nothing better than Geno did that's why Geno is the starting QB.

So Simms has just as many or more completions in one half than Geno has had in his last 4 starts, and the offense actually moved the ball some, and he did nothing better than Geno???? What a joke. No one is claiming he is our answer, but he sure as hell gives Jets a better chance to win right now.

WAY MORE ARM than Geno. And he didn't miss a wide open David Nelson by 30 yards twice.

Not to mention that by the time Simms got in the game it was officially over and they were just teeing off on him.  Geno is lucky to throw passes in the same zip code as his receivers.  Hopefully, Geno is on a very short leash.

SYH all you want.

The kid is missing guys by 20' or more when he has time, and they are wide open.  Or he throws it to the wrong team.   His decision making sucked to begin with coming out of a gadget offense.  His mechanics which also sucked, are  regressing.  His confidence is shot, he looks lost out there.

What "Smith needed from day one was to sit and learn how to be an NFL QB.  He is getting worst week by week.  They leave him out there and he will develop very bad responses to situations that will ruin him.

Right now Smith sucks.  The only thing that might help him is to sit down right now.  In the off season go to someplace like T E S T, hire a former NFL QB to teach him how to play in this league.  Putting him out there to embarrass himself, and become a league joke is  is not what a 22 YO needs

SYH all you want.

The kid is missing guys by 20' or more when he has time, and they are wide open.  Or he throws it to the wrong team.   His decision making sucked to begin with coming out of a gadget offense.  His mechanics which also sucked, are  regressing.  His confidence is shot, he looks lost out there.

What "Smith needed from day one was to sit and learn how to be an NFL QB.  He is getting worst week by week.  They leave him out there and he will develop very bad responses to situations that will ruin him.

Right now Smith sucks.  The only thing that might help him is to sit down right now.  In the off season go to someplace like T E S T, hire a former NFL QB to teach him how to play in this league.  Putting him out there to embarrass himself, and become a league joke is  is not what a 22 YO needs

Simms sucks too.  Its pretty obvious.

They dont have an NFL QB on the roster right now but Geno was Idzik's pick and that's who he wants to see.  Not a career back-up in Matt Simms.  If he wanted to see what he had in Matt Simms, he wouldnt have drafted Geno and just waited for Sanchez to inevitably fail before putting him in.

And I dont see how benching him does anything more for his confidence.  His replacement is terrible too.  How does that build your confidence up?  The confidence booster is giving him another shot on Sunday.  

The question is what has happened the last month? I see only worse worse worse. He stares downs recievers, throws way off targets, don´t run etc etc. it´s like watching Sanchez once again. But to be fair, everyone on offence have regressed basically. The Jets of Nov/Dec is not the same team anymore. 

With all that said, we all agree that the result is awful. We don´t agree on if he should play or not. Maybe Idzik and Co. have seen enough of him to know they need to land a new QB in the draft or FA. I don´t know but I say let´s play the ones that are remotely interesting of keeping for next year and give them reps. Worst case we get a higher draft pick.

I want too keep Geno next year but he need some competition from someone who isn´t on the team today. Have no idea who that would be though. Haven´t fallen in love with any of the QBs that are considered 1st round picks. Not sure anybody could work with what we have on O right now.

I am at the moment more into building a receiving corps and O-line + secondary this draft and see what he or another can do with that. worst case we will have another high draft pick 2015 and get a QB then. 

So silly. This has Idzik written all over it.

Smith should sit and clear his head, or at a minimum watch Simms suck balls with the same offesne so he does not feel so bad. Smith has regressed to the point where he is Sanchez like. This is a complete loss of confidence. Let the dude clear his head for a week or two and let him finish the season against the Browns and the Fish.

So Simms has just as many or more completions in one half than Geno has had in his last 4 starts, and the offense actually moved the ball some, and he did nothing better than Geno???? What a joke. No one is claiming he is our answer, but he sure as hell gives Jets a better chance to win right now.

I  don't even know if that's actually true, but I would like to find out if he can do anything before the team moves off from him.

His upside is, he has a monster arm, and a pretty good pedigree.

His downside is that he was horrible at Tenn.  Even with his natural skills, he still sucked.  Don't know, but I suspect he was feeling entitled because he was Phil Simms son.

When the Jets brought him back this year I thought "are you kidding me?  This guy sucks".

He was a different QB this preseason.  Much better then Smith was.  Don't know why that would happen.  Maybe he has matured, or maybe Daddy has been working with him.  At any rate, at this point, as bad as Smith is playing, it is a no brainer to let him play a game with a weeks practice with the first string.  If he sucks.  Nothing lost.  If he shows a flash, maybe there is something there.

Right now bringing  Smith out there before a home crowd who has had it with him is a disservice to Smith.   They started booing him Sunday.  First in completion against the Raiders and the mob will be on him.  That could easily  ruin a young QB.  

Simms is like his father, a run of mill qb who shouldn't be in the league, but actually is

pretty good if given the right line, backs, receivers and OC, right now Simms doesn't

have any of those, so Simms or Geno, really doesn't matter, bad results come from

a bad O line, and this O line is the worst in the NFL, I can't remember a Jet line this

bad off hand, this may be the worst O line in Jet history.

I think the 1 -15 Rich Kotitte line was better.

Simms sucks too.  Its pretty obvious.

They dont have an NFL QB on the roster right now but Geno was Idzik's pick and that's who he wants to see.  Not a career back-up in Matt Simms.  If he wanted to see what he had in Matt Simms, he wouldnt have drafted Geno and just waited for Sanchez to inevitably fail before putting him in.

And I dont see how benching him does anything more for his confidence.  His replacement is terrible too.  How does that build your confidence up?  The confidence booster is giving him another shot on Sunday.  

Got to disagree with you on this JiF.

Getting booed, having beer poured on you, and being spit on as you come out of the tunnel seldom builds a young players confidence.  LOL   This is the Jets we're talking about.

Got to disagree with you on this JiF.

Getting booed, having beer poured on you, and being spit on as you come out of the tunnel seldom builds a young players confidence.  LOL   This is the Jets we're talking about.

The best way to regain your confidence is to go out there and play a good game.  Not sit on the bench watching a career back-up stink up the joint.  I dont see how you find that a confidence builder.  The booster is the coaching staff giving him a vote of confidence to go back out there and play better.  Seems like benching him would be showing him you dont have any confidence in him.  So again, I fail to see how benching a player is going to give said player confidence but I can agree to disagree.  I think a lot of that is probably in the make up of the player too.  I sure wouldnt like being benched for someone who's not very good but maybe that will motivate him to work harder.  I dont know.

The best way to regain your confidence is to go out there and play a good game.  Not sit on the bench watching a career back-up stink up the joint.  I dont see how you find that a confidence builder.  The booster is the coaching staff giving him a vote of confidence to go back out there and play better.  Seems like benching him would be showing him you dont have any confidence in him.  So again, I fail to see how benching a player is going to give said player confidence but I can agree to disagree.  I think a lot of that is probably in the make up of the player too.  I sure wouldnt like being benched for someone who's not very good but maybe that will motivate him to work harder.  I dont know.agree

Agree Jif Geno Smith was as much pissed as he was hurt being benched yesterday. I think and hope he can become as good as Cam Newton.

Agree Jif Geno Smith was as much pissed as he was hurt being benched yesterday. I think and hope he can become as good as Cam Newton.

He's pretty bad and I dont have any confidence that he'll ever get Cam Newton good...but I do think you let him start Sunday.  

Starting Matt Simms does nothing for this team.

From the looks of stands in the second half Sunday, the boycott has already begun.

For this year?  Yep

With Smith starting this Sunday, the stands will either be empty Sunday, or loaded with Raiders fans.  Which is probably a good thing for Smith.

If Idzik doesn't find a QB that gets the fan base excited this off season, there is going to be a major exit from season ticket holders.

if I'm Idzik I do everything to get a QB.  This is the issue that will decide how long he will be GM.

The good news is, if they trot Smith out there next year with out a serious challenge, the Jets will be the odds on favorite for Jameis Winston 

Rex Ryan: I believe in Geno

Posted by Josh Alper on December 2, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
b58f0bbaed032e49b730287a42ef39d7-e138602Getty Images

Geno Smith and David Garrard let the cat out of the bag about Smith starting against the Raiders this week early on Monday and coach Rex Ryan confirmed it during his afternoon press conference.

“I’m going to go with Geno as our quarterback,” Ryan said, via the team’s website. “I believe in Geno. I think he has the tools to be a good quarterback in this league.”

Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reports that Ryan also said that he’s impressed by Smith’s perseverance and that he’s “just waiting for him to have a great game.” Smith’s had one of those so far in his rookie season and it came in the first week of October. Since then, Smith has thrown one touchdown and 11 interceptions while completing just 29 passes over his last four starts. Given all of that, it’s probably best that Ryan not hold his breath while he’s waiting for that game to unspool itself.

Ryan also said that General Manager John Idzik and others are involved in the decision, which could provide some insight into Ryan’s future with the team. While none of the Jets’ quarterback options or skill position players offere them a particularly bright outlook, sticking with Smith through this hellish patch of play isn’t really a move that fits with a coach desperate to start winning games.

It may have nothing to do with that since Ryan himself said that watching tape of Smith and Matt Simms from Sunday does neither guy any favors, but the question of whether Ryan will be around in 2014 will move front and center as the Jets’ playoff chances make their exit.

• 488001909d5d93350125097a0f26185b_normal.
    Rex (98.7): Everyone's focused on “the missed tackle" by Ed Reed. "He missed a tackle, it goes for a TD," but ER gives NYJ best shot to win
    Beat Writer / Columnist
  • 488001909d5d93350125097a0f26185b_normal.
    Rex Ryan (circa 12.5.12): "I believe in Mark [sanchez]. ...I believe Mark has a skillset that is pretty impressive." #jets
    Beat Writer / Columnist

Simms did nothing better than Geno did that's why Geno is the starting QB.

Simms didn't get a week of 1st team reps, and starting QB preparation, but I also don't think Simms is much better, or ready to play in the NFL, but I do think Simms has a future in the NFL IF he continues to work hard, and improve at the rate he has the last 2 years. This is a kid who got thrown off a D1 team for not working hard, and being a douche, never worked at all IMO, just got away with talent alone through HS, and the clown college he ended up at before going back to a D1 college where I think it finally set in that after that year his free ride was over, and if I don't work hard at this I'm gonna own a used car lot, or work some do nothing job my pops got me as a favor in Bergen county the rest of my life. 2 years later his skill level has made dramatic improvements, and he is still young, and could be just scratching the surface of what a finished project he could be in 2, or 3 years with continued hard work, good coaching, and picking his fathers brain to the point where his father try's to avoid him lol. Sometimes guys actually wake up when reality kicks them in the groin, other times it doesn't. He has the arm, he has the guts (this is a bad thing right now because he stays in the pocket to long without having fear of getting leveled which is bad, but with time, and good coaching hopefully it becomes a good thing), and the pedigree, the last question (IMO can't be answered for another 2 years because of his immaturity through college, and losing those valuable learning years) is does he have the capability to mentally become a good NFL QB like his father did, who also needed a few years to become a good QB with one of the toughest coaches on QB's in NFL history!

The best way to regain your confidence is to go out there and play a good game.  Not sit on the bench watching a career back-up stink up the joint.  I dont see how you find that a confidence builder.  The booster is the coaching staff giving him a vote of confidence to go back out there and play better.  Seems like benching him would be showing him you dont have any confidence in him.  So again, I fail to see how benching a player is going to give said player confidence but I can agree to disagree.  I think a lot of that is probably in the make up of the player too.  I sure wouldnt like being benched for someone who's not very good but maybe that will motivate him to work harder.  I dont know.

Simms, and Smith are in the same situation, Simms is a 2nd year pro, and Geno a 1st year pro, you can't call Simms a career back-up after 1.5 years, now Shaun Hill, Charlie Batch ect. That statement can be made, MAYBE in 5 years it will be true, but I would put the odds on that also being true for G Smith around the same, Everyone is talking like we drafted Smith in the top 10, he is a 2nd rounder that the Jets have very little investment in, and the quicker the Media, Fans, and most importantly the Jets organization (front office down to the coaches) realize this the better it will be for all parties involved!

The same raiders who gave up 7 TD's to the Eagles? Raiders couldn't rape my local high school team

Do you think the Jets are even remotely close to the type of offense the Eagles have ? The Raiders play aggressive defense some teams can exploit that, the Jets absolutely can't. Mark my words Geno may not make it to halftime

Archived