Geno Smith starting this week (MERGED)

unbanmadmike1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simms did nothing better than Geno did that's why Geno is the starting QB.

He's had a half of a game and has zero practice with the ones. And still looked better than geno. Why not see if you've got a diamond in the rough? Why not let him start a game and call some plays that might suit his arm strength? He hasn't gotten a fair shake at a start. He's tossed in behind the eight ball with against a team that has the lead and the momentum. And he still moved the ball. Not saying he's a great QB. but why not see what he is exactly? There's always a chance he's better than Geno smith.

Do you think the Jets are even remotely close to the type of offense the Eagles have ? The Raiders play aggressive defense some teams can exploit that, the Jets absolutely can't. Mark my words Geno may not make it to halftime

You could be right, of course I don't think the jets have anywhere near the offense.

At the same time I have seen the Raiders enough to not be impressed at all.

I hope your right though, I want Rex out and a better draft pick.

this is best option for the best possible draft pick

Yes and Idz has done so well with his first time around on his picks. Both Rex and Idz should go to a bath house and do what they do best. Simms should have been given a shot to start and take reps with the first offense. The only reason I can come up with is that Rex might dislike a certain type of player.....Woodhead is an example.

Geno Smith not being very good doesn't help either. The guy's issues in college are only exacerbated on the bigger stage. Sure, his receivers are awful but so is he. And I got hammered by people when I said don't draft him.

Not by me, I agreed with you

You can make that decision based on what? Does he have skilled position players on offense? at any position? You expect players that aren't good enough to be on scout teams to compete...Smh..Sounds like last year...People cried for Greg Mac...Until he was just as average at best...There's a reason Simms went undrafted and is not the starter..You think perhaps...maybe..just maybe..simms sucks?

What do you want? Smith to throw it and then run down field to get open and catch the ball?

Hey newbie, r u related to Geno? Sure sounds like it.

Simms is like his father, a run of mill qb who shouldn't be in the league, but actually is

pretty good if given the right line, backs, receivers and OC, right now Simms doesn't

have any of those, so Simms or Geno, really doesn't matter, bad results come from

a bad O line, and this O line is the worst in the NFL, I can't remember a Jet line this

bad off hand, this may be the worst O line in Jet history.

I think the 1 -15 Rich Kotitte line was better.

They aren't great but not terrible either. When a line is in a 5 step drop protection pattern and the QB drops 7-9 steps, the off tackles will get beat more often then not. Geno NEVER steps up into the pocket, he just isn't too bright.

They aren't great but not terrible either. When a line is in a 5 step drop protection pattern and the QB drops 7-9 steps, the off tackles will get beat more often then not. Geno NEVER steps up into the pocket, he just isn't too bright.

With Winters at guard- there's rarely been a pocket to step into.

Unless he should be stepping into this?

genoblitzed1.gif

there's nothing that could have been done there

He could have atleast attempted to go in the right direction (away from the overload on the left). Winters is another joke of a draft pick being started still for some unknown reason. Have they even worked anyone out to see if there are better options on the street?

He could have atleast attempted to go in the right direction (away from the overload on the left). Winters is another joke of a draft pick being started still for some unknown reason. Have they even worked anyone out to see if there are better options on the street?

Cumberland cant play either. He's awful. 

Simms didn't get a week of 1st team reps, and starting QB preparation, but I also don't think Simms is much better, or ready to play in the NFL, but I do think Simms has a future in the NFL IF he continues to work hard, and improve at the rate he has the last 2 years. This is a kid who got thrown off a D1 team for not working hard, and being a douche, never worked at all IMO, just got away with talent alone through HS, and the clown college he ended up at before going back to a D1 college where I think it finally set in that after that year his free ride was over, and if I don't work hard at this I'm gonna own a used car lot, or work some do nothing job my pops got me as a favor in Bergen county the rest of my life. 2 years later his skill level has made dramatic improvements, and he is still young, and could be just scratching the surface of what a finished project he could be in 2, or 3 years with continued hard work, good coaching, and picking his fathers brain to the point where his father try's to avoid him lol. Sometimes guys actually wake up when reality kicks them in the groin, other times it doesn't. He has the arm, he has the guts (this is a bad thing right now because he stays in the pocket to long without having fear of getting leveled which is bad, but with time, and good coaching hopefully it becomes a good thing), and the pedigree, the last question (IMO can't be answered for another 2 years because of his immaturity through college, and losing those valuable learning years) is does he have the capability to mentally become a good NFL QB like his father did, who also needed a few years to become a good QB with one of the toughest coaches on QB's in NFL history!

This is in a nutshell why Simms should be playing. Not gonna pretend he's by any means perfect nor a lock to be an NFL starter.  But arms like that are very few, and seems that some of that adversity and stupidity have forced him to grow up. The idea we're wasting time indulging crappy Geno Smith because he's a 2nd rounder at the expense of Simms with that arm because he's a free agent is criminal mismanagement. You have an asset that is way more valuable and instead you're pretending something you overpaid for is somehow better merely because you overvalued the later. Simms deserves a few weeks of 1 reps to see what he can do. Small-minded defense scared Wrecks will NEVER learn, like his dumbass dad.

This is in a nuthsell why Simms should be playing. Not gonna pretend he's by any means perfect nor a lock to be an NFL starter.  But arms like that are very few, and seems that some of that adversity and stupidity have forced him to grow up. The idea we're wasting time indulging crappy Geno Smith because he's a 2nd rounder at the expenses of Simms with that arm because he's a free agent is criminal mismanagement. You have an asset that is way more valuable and instead you're pretending something you overpaid for is somehow better merely because you overvalued the later. Simms deserves a few weeks of 1 reps to see what he can do. Small-minded defense scared Wrecks will NEVER learn, like his dumbass dad.

+1000

there's nothing that could have been done there

It looks like a broken play all together....was he trying to play action?  He sure made a motion like it was a play action but the back never even looked like that was the case.

Either way, Winters is doodoo right now.

Why? Because unlike 80% of peeps here, I have some common sense and don't throw my bottle because Simms isn't playing?

Readily admit I don't watch NCAA. But the rap on Smith was he played in avery limited system and when things went bad he zoned out. Seems to be waht we've seen the last month, that empty look in his eyes. This is ultimately baout winning football games. maybe the jets' offense is such crap that they cannot do anything, and the marching orders form the HC border on not doing anything. But Smith is doing nothing to help. Simms at least gave them a spark. They've run out of solutions other than this one. We've seen enough crappY QB play to KNOW Smith is not the answer.

Readily admit I don't watch NCAA. But the rap on Smith was he played in avery limited system and when things went bad he zoned out. Seems to be waht we've seen the last month, that empty look in his eyes. This is ultimately baout winning football games. maybe the jets' offense is such crap that they cannot do anything, and the marching orders form the HC border on not doing anything. But Smith is doing nothing to help. Simms at least gave them a spark. They've run out of solutions other than this one. We've seen enough crappY QB play to KNOW Smith is not the answer.

Your GM hasnt.  

Not sure why people cant figure that out.  

Idzik wants to see Geno.  Not Simms.  If he wanted to see Simms, he'd be starting on Sunday.

Its that simple.

Your GM hasnt.  

Not sure why people cant figure that out.  

Idzik wants to see Geno.  Not Simms.  If he wanted to see Simms, he'd be starting on Sunday.

Its that simple.

Sadly true and very shortsighted. Because somebody else is going to take a chance on Simms' arm in 2014.

My thoughts on MM exactly, Geno is a victim of a very very bad system, Mangold is the only starter coming back as a starter and MM is gone,

well Ivory is a good young player and Richardson is a good young player. If all we get from this draft is dominant All-pro level d-lineman and a very good RB then its not a bad draft.

He's an avg RB at best.   He is on pace for what,  800 yards rushing this season and has 2 receptions.   A good RB these days either has to have AP or Chris Johnson rushing stats or they need to be like Reggie Bush and catch & run.   Ivory is a guy who can't catch and is rushing for about 50 yards a game.     He had a good game against the pats,  a great game against the Saints, other than that he hasn't done anything that says he's that talented.       And the reality in 2013 is that a RB who never catches a pass is a RB who isn't very useful in the NFL anymore.   Especially when he's really a 50 yard per game kind of guy.

This is in a nutshell why Simms should be playing. Not gonna pretend he's by any means perfect nor a lock to be an NFL starter.  But arms like that are very few, and seems that some of that adversity and stupidity have forced him to grow up. The idea we're wasting time indulging crappy Geno Smith because he's a 2nd rounder at the expense of Simms with that arm because he's a free agent is criminal mismanagement. You have an asset that is way more valuable and instead you're pretending something you overpaid for is somehow better merely because you overvalued the later. Simms deserves a few weeks of 1 reps to see what he can do. Small-minded defense scared Wrecks will NEVER learn, like his dumbass dad.

Excellent post. Excellent....Thank you.

@pedro

lol.....do you realize that no one respects our passing game at all. the fact that ivory can even get 50 yards in a game is astonishing. defenses crowd the line and tee off on whoever the hell they want. ivory has been very good considering. very very good. this guy is averaging 4.4 yds/carry against a stacked box play in and play out. he has been a very good find and well worth the 4th round pick we gave up for him

@pedro

lol.....do you realize that no one respects our passing game at all. the fact that ivory can even get 50 yards in a game is astonishing. defenses crowd the line and tee off on whoever the hell they want. ivory has been very good considering. very very good. this guy is averaging 4.4 yds/carry against a stacked box play in and play out. he has been a very good find and well worth the 4th round pick we gave up for him

After the early hamstring injury, I've been quietly satisfied with Ivory's play. It would strongly behoove him to work on his hands in the passing game as the times where we do utilize him there, he usually has a significant amount of room. It seems too similar to the "line Thomas Jones 7 yards behind the LOS and it's a run 90%+ of the time." It seems almost guaranteed that if we line up in an offset I, Ivory is running it, there's no disguise there. 

With Winters at guard- there's rarely been a pocket to step into.

Unless he should be stepping into this?

genoblitzed1.gif

That isn't a product of poor blocking physically, that is a bad line call, and blitz recognition/and or blown assignment. Which could be on Geno for not properly identifying the Mike, or Mangold if that's who is making the calls (tougher for Mangold to see the whole D setup so that's not ideal IMO, and I know he did it for Sanchez his rookie year).

Archived