Biggest Misses In Jet History

TuscanyTile2

3 come to mind off the top of my head:

1) Letting Belichck get away

2) Having the #1 overall pick 2 years in a row and neither year Peyton Manning left early for the NFL (after his Soph and Jr seasons at Tennessee).  Yes I know the Jets can't be blamed for that but I'll count it anyway as part of our "bad omen"

3) O'Brien over Marino (even though a lot of teams passed on Marino).  Why aren't Chiefs fans the ones kicking themselves over Marino.  O'Brien was way better than Todd Blackledge at least.

2) Having the #1 overall pick 2 years in a row and neither year Peyton Manning left early for the NFL (after his Soph and Jr seasons at Tennessee).  Yes I know the Jets can't be blamed for that but I'll count it anyway as part of our "bad omen"

3) O'Brien over Marino (even though a lot of teams passed on Marino).  Why aren't Chiefs fans the ones kicking themselves over Marino.  O'Brien was way better than Todd Blackledge at least.

Hiring Rich Kotite, Bruce Coslet, Lou Holtz, Charlie Winner, Al Groh etc. etc. and drafting QB's like Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith etc. etc.

The Jets love to pair horrible coaches with horrible QBs. woo hoo.

Edited by joewillie78

Erase that #1. Belichick is a f'ing cheating bastard and is a disgrace to this game. 

My #4 would be passing on Alshon Jeffery for "Megatron-lite" Stephen Hill!

• Upvote 2

#1 and #2 were both on Parcells and his enormous ego.. 

They do. They just don't play in the capital of the planet so no one gives a flying ****.

Don't care in the least about Belichick 'getting away' it's a different situation in NY (no Brady) and Belichick wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with Drew Bledsoe at QB. Peyton Manning's mouthpiece - also known as Archie Manning - told Bill Parcells that Peyton would come out IF Parcells promised to take him number one. When Parcells refused he stayed at UT. Blame Bill for THAT one. O'Brien over Marino is ancient history and can't be changed, but that is only ONE of many glaring draft errors by the Jets over the years. Jets always had better luck finding good players in late rounds than most other teams. Maybe Jets should trade all first and second round picks for fourth through seventh rounders.

#1 and #2 were both on Parcells and his enormous ego.. 

Correctamundo. Belichick knew Jets job was NO WIN for him with Parcells around in ANY capacity. What I don't get is his hatred of the Jets (Spygate a big part I suspect). In a recent interview he said he had a special place in his heart for every one of the teams he has been a part of in his career EXCEPT for the Jets. Who cares.

I'm 37 so this list is basically from mid-80's on:

Kotite

Brister

Blair Thomas

Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed

Browning Nagle

Johnny Mitchell

Neil O'Donnell

Gholston

Alex Van Dyke

Tony Sparano

Gholston was a particularly bad pick and cost Mangini his job. Is it NOT strange that Mangini was canned after ONE bad pick yet Ryan continues to make them year after year and STAYS. Taking Gholston was a head scratcher because the Jets NEEDED a QB badly with Pennington coming off third shoulder injury and Joe Flacco was there for the taking. A QB desperate team that reached out to Brett Favre on a ONE YEAR DEAL, should have taken a project QB without hesitation. Flacco is the BEST QB drafted since 2007 bar none and is certainly an improvement over ANY QB the Jets have had since.....well, Favre.

If O'Brien could have had those Miami teams and Marino was the one flat on his back before the hike was firmly in his hands, I believe they would have had each other's careers.

Correctamundo. Belichick knew Jets job was NO WIN for him with Parcells around in ANY capacity. What I don't get is his hatred of the Jets (Spygate a big part I suspect). In a recent interview he said he had a special place in his heart for every one of the teams he has been a part of in his career EXCEPT for the Jets. Who cares.

I have read that it stemmed from Parcells making plans to walk out on the Pats before the super bowl.  That he was fielding calls about the Jets job on the plane.  That is supposedly the reason that they don't care about the Hess money.  Belichick supposedly felt Kraft was done wrong by Big Bill

I have read that it stemmed from Parcells making plans to walk out on the Pats before the super bowl. That he was fielding calls about the Jets job on the plane. That is supposedly the reason that they don't care about the Hess money. Belichick supposedly felt Kraft was done wrong by Big Bill

This makes less than no sense. Go find the Jets coach that has ever had a single positive thing to say about the Jets franchise after leaving it. Lou Holtz ran screaming. Joe Walton disappeared into the Pennsylvania hinterland to coach a teacher's college. Bruce Coslet openly cursed the franchise for its ineptitude. Pete Carroll got shafted for Rich Kotite. Kotite never drew another NFL paycheck after the Jets. Parcells was loyal to Hess, but fled once the body was cold. Belichick spent 30 seconds with Woody, then bailed. Groh couldn't wait to leave. Herm begged Carl Peterson for a job while he was still under contract with the Jets. Mangini acted like he'd been freed from Gitmo when he was hired by ******* Cleveland. In your weird little twisted fantasy, Parcells somehow burned the Jets to the ground and everything wrong with it somehow relates to Parcells' treachery.

If O'Brien could have had those Miami teams and Marino was the one flat on his back before the hike was firmly in his hands, I believe they would have had each other's careers.

Boy, I dont know, Wasnt O'brien throwing to Wesley Walker and Al Toon, etc? And with Marino's release (the best I ever saw besides Joe willies), I think many of the sacks O'brien took would have been negated by that release.

There are many scenarios where we like to speculate that, Man, if this QB had been with this team, this would have happened, or can you imagine what would have happened if he was on that team, BUT in this case, I firmly believe that Marino throwing to our receivers, and O'brien throwing to Duper and Clayton, that things would have turned out pretty close to the way they did. That is, O'brien an average NFL QB and Marino, a HOF. No difference.