Biggest Misses In Jet History

TuscanyTile2

Gholston was a particularly bad pick and cost Mangini his job. Is it NOT strange that Mangini was canned after ONE bad pick yet Ryan continues to make them year after year and STAYS. Taking Gholston was a head scratcher because the Jets NEEDED a QB badly with Pennington coming off third shoulder injury and Joe Flacco was there for the taking. A QB desperate team that reached out to Brett Favre on a ONE YEAR DEAL, should have taken a project QB without hesitation. Flacco is the BEST QB drafted since 2007 bar none and is certainly an improvement over ANY QB the Jets have had since.....well, Favre.

Rex made it to two AFC championship games with Sanchez.....and he did it right after mangini was fired.   Thats a big reason why.   If the Colts dont' sit manning and others that one game and the Jets finished 8-8 and never made that run, who knows.  The entire arch would be different.     Mangini got into the playoffs his first year and then stunk the rest of the time.  And Favre has always been injured in his career, it was just with the Jets he seemed too injured to play well.  And the Jets choked away that season.     Mangini had some eye for talent, minus a few guys here and there, but he sucked as a coach.    And he was arrogant as if he was the coach of the Pats and not BB.     

But it doesn't really matter who has coached the Jets for a long time because they are always that same 8-8 team who depends on the defense.

This makes less than no sense. Go find the Jets coach that has ever had a single positive thing to say about the Jets franchise after leaving it. Lou Holtz ran screaming. Joe Walton disappeared into the Pennsylvania hinterland to coach a teacher's college. Bruce Coslet openly cursed the franchise for its ineptitude. Pete Carroll got shafted for Rich Kotite. Kotite never drew another NFL paycheck after the Jets. Parcells was loyal to Hess, but fled once the body was cold. Belichick spent 30 seconds with Woody, then bailed. Groh couldn't wait to leave. Herm begged Carl Peterson for a job while he was still under contract with the Jets. Mangini acted like he'd been freed from Gitmo when he was hired by ******* Cleveland. In your weird little twisted fantasy, Parcells somehow burned the Jets to the ground and everything wrong with it somehow relates to Parcells' treachery.

Not my story and I don't believe it.  It's a Boston based narrative.  Some of them up there truly seem to take it as gospel.

Hiring Rich Kotite, Bruce Coslet, Lou Holtz, Charlie Winner, Al Groh etc. etc. and drafting QB's like Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith etc. etc.

The Jets love to pair horrible coaches with horrible QBs. woo hoo.

The Browning Nagle fiasco is ALL on Dick Steinberg. If Coslet had gotten Brett Favre Jets history would read much differently.

Boy, I dont know, Wasnt O'brien throwing to Wesley Walker and Al Toon, etc? And with Marino's release (the best I ever saw besides Joe willies), I think many of the sacks O'brien took would have been negated by that release.

There are many scenarios where we like to speculate that, Man, if this QB had been with this team, this would have happened, or can you imagine what would have happened if he was on that team, BUT in this case, I firmly believe that Marino throwing to our receivers, and O'brien throwing to Duper and Clayton, that things would have turned out pretty close to the way they did. That is, O'brien an average NFL QB and Marino, a HOF. No difference.

Marino also had an inate sense of the rush and could move a step or two to avoid it. O'B was NEVER that nifty athletically. The Jets blew it by not taking Marino... period.

Who did we pass up when we drafted Johnny Lam Jones?

A lot. Jets had two first round picks that season and traded BOTH to a rebuilding SF team for the second pick in the draft, which they used on Jones. The next player taken was Anthony Munoz a HOF OT, then later in the round #8 HOF CB Michael Haynes and further down at #18 was HOF WR Art Monk. I don't know where Jets were scheduled to draft with their original two selections but they certainly could have done better than Jones. Only blemish on Walt Michael's draft history.

Marino also had an inate sense of the rush and could move a step or two to avoid it. O'B was NEVER that nifty athletically. The Jets blew it by not taking Marino... period.

Great point about Marino, and the way he slid to avoid the rush, and with his release, he didnt need to slide much.

One of the greatest hits I ever saw was when Lawrence Taylor absolutely demolished O'brien. I give O'brien credit for getting up. If that was Sanchez, they could have dug the hole right there at the Meds.

One thing that definitely wouldnt have happened (well to the JETS), would have been the fake spike, and I would be able to take Aaron Glenn off my most loathed jet list.

A lot. Jets had two first round picks that season and traded BOTH to a rebuilding SF team for the second pick in the draft, which they used on Jones. The next player taken was Anthony Munoz a HOF OT, then later in the round #8 HOF CB Michael Haynes and further down at #18 was HOF WR Art Monk. I don't know where Jets were scheduled to draft with their original two selections but they certainly could have done better than Jones. Only blemish on Walt Michael's draft history.

According to Walt Michaels, the Jets wanted Munoz, but Nicholas vetoed him because of the knee reconstruction and they were stuck taking Lam Jones.  The Niners were a good drafting team and ended up with Earl Cooper and Dave Stuckey.  They won the super bowl the following year ("the Catch") but I don't think those guys had much to do with it.

I think O'Brien gets a worse rap than he deserves because we can't think of him without thinking of Marino.  O'Brien had a couple of very nice seasons for us IMO.  Obviously it was a huge mistake passing on Marino though.  Then again, O'Brien won as many superbowls as Marino did.

This makes less than no sense. Go find the Jets coach that has ever had a single positive thing to say about the Jets franchise after leaving it. Lou Holtz ran screaming. Joe Walton disappeared into the Pennsylvania hinterland to coach a teacher's college. Bruce Coslet openly cursed the franchise for its ineptitude. Pete Carroll got shafted for Rich Kotite. Kotite never drew another NFL paycheck after the Jets. Parcells was loyal to Hess, but fled once the body was cold. Belichick spent 30 seconds with Woody, then bailed. Groh couldn't wait to leave. Herm begged Carl Peterson for a job while he was still under contract with the Jets. Mangini acted like he'd been freed from Gitmo when he was hired by ******* Cleveland. In your weird little twisted fantasy, Parcells somehow burned the Jets to the ground and everything wrong with it somehow relates to Parcells' treachery.

FWIW

The circumstances under which Parcells left New England has been documented ad nauseum, and really should’ve created much more acrimony towards the coach than it really did. He was negotiating with a division rival during Super Bowl week in which the Patriots were participating. It was betrayal of outrageous proportions, no matter what the personal situation between he and Bob Kraft was at the time.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/2013/08/the-exaggerated-myth-of-bill-parcells-in-new-england

Not that it necessarily meant anything to Belichick.

They have missed on pretty much every offensive player they have drafted since Joe Willy, save a few blind squirrels finding their proverbial acorns. Their history on the other side of ball has been a little bit kinder, but they have a rich history of letting that talent get away.

This. So this.

You didn't like Chad's 2 yard passes disguised as hail mary's?  And you didn't think he was classy despite telling reporters it was 'not (their) right' but a 'privilege' of theirs to be able to cover the Jets, 'to be around a bunch of professional athletes every day and do your job'.

Chad still makes me sick to my stomach.  He probably was better than I gave him credit for (he did win games) but I couldn't stand watching him and I felt like the media shoved him down our throats.  Plus there was no way he was going to beat upper echelon teams when it counted.  He was an absolute noodle-armed chump. 

Archived