I thought I had this figured out, now I am confused

Stonehands

I thought that Geno sucked, but this week with some actual NFL receivers on the field he remembers that he is fast and actual completes some passes.  I thought our team was a strong defensive team led by a defensive coach that was in search of an offense.  But, the defense was shreaded by a very average Oakland offense.  Should we just chalk this up to one game or are these just the teases that crappy teams and players give their fans?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Geno sucked, but this week with some actual NFL receivers on the field he remembers that he is fast and actual completes some passes. I thought our team was a strong defensive team led by a defensive coach that was in search of an offense. But, the defense was shreaded by a very average Oakland offense. Should we just chalk this up to one game or are these just the teases that crappy teams and players give their fans?

Do yourself a favor, and watch the game again, Geno was bad throwing the ball, almost every completion was to a wide open WR who had to jump, adjust, reach back for the ball, and they bailed him out time, and again. The only good pass Geno made all day was the Kerley TD pass.

The defense had 2 broken plays that went for 2 TD's, take those 2 plays away, and the Raiders score 6 points, they did not shread our defense.

I thought that Geno sucked, but this week with some actual NFL receivers on the field he remembers that he is fast and actual completes some passes.  I thought our team was a strong defensive team led by a defensive coach that was in search of an offense.  But, the defense was shreaded by a very average Oakland offense.  Should we just chalk this up to one game or are these just the teases that crappy teams and players give their fans?

No Geno still sucks.

Always listen to the folks on the message boards. They know everything.

real simple the Jets play great when everyone thinks they suck and they play awful when everyone thinks they are great

it's not a Rex Ryan problem, the franchise has always had problems dealing with expectations

I agree, except for the  expectation that they finish each year as close to 8-8 as possible.  They nail that one.

He's the only receiver Geno trusts...maybe other than Winslow.

This might work both ways thou, I can see why a guy like Holmes isn't gonna go out of his way to get his noodle split in 2 like Stephen Hill did because Geno throws his receivers into danger of getting killed A LOT!

This might work both ways thou, I can see why a guy like Holmes isn't gonna go out of his way to get his noodle split in 2 like Stephen Hill did because Geno throws his receivers into danger of getting killed A LOT!

The Titans game where Hill got hit he stopped once he heard footsteps....that was a good ball by Geno that should have been caught. Probably should have been a penalty but Hill stopped running and had alligator arms.

The Titans game where Hill got hit he stopped once he heard footsteps....that was a good ball by Geno that should have been caught. Probably should have been a penalty but Hill stopped running and had alligator arms.

I think the ball was early, and under thrown, and Smith got alligator feet in the pocket, and laid Hill out to dry when the rush got in his face, but both are opinions, we don't know the play call, and what the route was supposed to be.

It was good to see Geno making plays with his feet again. I think that has the two-pronged effect of helping his confidence and giving the defense something else to worry about.

This, and the Kerley TD pass were the 2 positives I saw with Smith yesterday, the rest was a lot of bad plays by the Raiders, and good catches on poorly thrown balls to a lot of wide open receivers.

I didnt think Geno was good at all yesterday, the TD to Kerley was a borderline hail mary it should have been picked

During the halftime show, Shannon Sharpe was making fun of that play, and Geno.  He said the Jets should keep lining up two receivers on the same side, let Geno toss it up, and hope one of them comes down with the ball.

During the halftime show, Shannon Sharpe was making fun of that play, and Geno.  He said the Jets should keep lining up two receivers on the same side, let Geno toss it up, and hope one of them comes down with the ball.

Holmes should have caught the ball in the EZ. That was a play to be made, and a good pass.

I also forgot what it looks like to see a WR on the Jets make a fvcking play.  Holy SH!T its a Christmas miracle! Thank you baby jesus!!!!

Good point, Hill has 5 inches on Kerley and no way in a million years he comes down with that

I didnt think Geno was good at all yesterday, the TD to Kerley was a borderline hail mary it should have been picked

It was a borderline broken play, as one of either Kerley or Holmes ran the wrong route, it was just fortunate that one of our guys came down with it. That having been said, half the touchdowns Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald et al come away with aren't too dissimilar. They make  Kerley's catch look routine. The same can be said for a lot of the high passes yesterday: yes, Geno wasn't as sharp as he can be, but sometimes your receivers bail you out and make you look good. That happens a lot around the league and I think as Jets' fans, this is something we aren't used to seeing.  You won't hear criticisms of Brees when Lance Moore or Jimmy Graham make leaping catches to help their QB out, it's just part of the game.  For all the drops Geno's had to deal with, it's nice to see his receivers bail him out a bit. And that's not to mention the miscues when Winslow sat instead of continued with the in route or holmes dropped a dime that hit both of his hands: and for as much money as he's making he should catch that every time. 

So while there were obviously things to critique him on, which he needs to clean up, we should at least recognize when he's done some good things.  He accounted for 250+ yards and 2 tds, completed 64% of his passes and lead us on a number of scoring drives.

**Another guy who routinely catches a lot of heat, and deservedly so, Milliner had a solid game. Missed a tackle on Reese, as did a lot of people, early on, but had a pretty nice overall game with a couple PDs. 

Still think Geno is the man for the job, bad stretch of games in his rookie year or not. 

If they think so, that's fine.  But they need a competent backup just in case.  We can't keep going into seasons with marginally talented kids, and old guys who can no longer physically play the position, as backups.

Still think Geno is the man for the job, bad stretch of games in his rookie year or not.

I'm not sold, hope your right thou, if the Jets don't have to pick a QB with one of their 1st 4 to 5 picks (depending if we get a 3rd round supplemental pick giving us 4 picks in the first 80, and a 5th pick around 100 before the 4th round even starts) things will be very exciting come draft weekend (or depressing if its 5 CB's, S, OL, LB, and DL).

The catch Kerely made is routinely made throughout the league week in and week out, as Bway pointed out.

It's way too early to write the book on Geno with this supporting cast.

QB's need to give WR's a chance to go up, and get those, it comes with trust. There have been plenty of times Smith didn't give the WR a chance to make a play for him by either being way to cautious, way to late, or way to erratic.

Just watch the replay of the Jets, Bengals game, the Jets DB's weren't burnt as bad as the numbers say, the WR's just went up, and made plays for a QB who was willing to put the ball up for them to have that chance. Then watch the following Thursday, and the Bengals WR's missed plenty of balls that they caught against the Jets just 4 days earlier.

If they think so, that's fine.  But they need a competent backup just in case.  We can't keep going into seasons with marginally talented kids, and old guys who can no longer physically play the position, as backups.

I don't disagree at all. Kyle Orton's name was brought up before and that's not a bad fit. 

Agreed. They should, and hopefully, will bring in a veteran non-sanchez QB to compete with Geno, as well as a rookie should the value be there at any of their picks. Teddy possibly being the lone exception, although I'm not completely sold on his readiness yet, there doesn't seem to be someone in this crop of potential rookie QBs that you'd be willing to just hand the offense over to from week 1, so even if we landed Hundley/Fales/Bortles etc. unless the veteran lights it up, we're looking at Geno starting week 1. So best scenario for us right now is that Geno finishes out the season strong going into the off-season.

I don't disagree at all. Kyle Orton's name was brought up before and that's not a bad fit. 

Not a terribly bad fit. About a year older than Cutler and someone who can manage you a few wins provided your defense and special's play decent, somewhat like McCown, but not someone I'd be excited about starting the season. I think if he's brought in to camp, it's more to prevent our team from punting games with Simms and McElroy as their QB in case our starter sh*ts the bed again. If he beats out Geno for the starting position week 1, then we're already in trouble; if Idzik feels that this is any way a possibility, he needs to make sure someone like Mettenberger or whomever (homer pick, although I do love his developmental potential, especially this year after being with CC) is on the roster to take over week 12 if we're out of it with Orton at the helm or compete the following year. 

If you have a competent back up then you insure yourself an 8-8 season or 7-9 season in the event the starter can't get it done.  You are almost better off heading in with no back up plan to set yourself up for a top pick if the starter is a wash out.

Archived