"Godzilla" revamp/remake/movie might be the greatest one ever made.

SenorGato

Oh and they did the atomic breath thing perfect...Everything about that was just awesome. A ****headed fanboy like myself really enjoyed that whole sequence.

Aaron Johnson's voice really was funny when I first heard it, and his story sucked in general. What else...I like that there is so much room to improve on the other monster. Sequel is going to be Aliens good, book it. Put it in the ******* bank. Bet your bottom dollar on it. It's a sure thing. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one movie i wanted to watch was Spiderman. Have to find time to do that.

Godzilla not so much. Who would want to watch a movie about a huge reptile tearing down a city anyways. Like that's ever going to happen in real life.

Hate to break it to you but Spiderman is not based on a true story.

Hate to break it to you but Spiderman is not based on a true story.

You never know. The other night I was watching this documentary about how a professor and some high school kid turned a Delorean into a time machine. Crazy sh*t. All I'm saying is that you never know what's possible with today's technology.

Hate to break it to you but Spiderman is not based on a true story.

You liar I just saw spiderman in times Square last night. Your move athiests.

That post was in jest. I thought it was obvious.That's why i laid the premise by saying I wanted to see Spiderman.

But its ok. You guys are not alone in not getting me.

"Gareth, this concept art looks incredible, but you know what this movie needs? A second-tier actor who takes up 90% of the movie with a man-trying-to-get-back-to-family storyline."

I know why they do that, but I still don't know why they do that. Is the state of screenwriting that bad that they refuse to deviate from such a tired convention? Equally tired convention: "OMG dude, even though this is a top secret, Defcon 5-type mission, and even though you're just some random dude, it just so happens you're the only person alive who's cagey enough to perform this key facet of said mission! Suit up!"

I know why they do that, but I still don't know why they do that. Is the state of screenwriting that bad that they refuse to deviate from such a tired convention? Equally tired convention: "OMG dude, even though this is a top secret, Defcon 5-type mission, and even though you're just some random dude, it just so happens you're the only person alive who's cagey enough to perform this key facet of said mission! Suit up!"

Even better: when you hear them say: "Well at the center of this, it's really a love story when you think about it."

so my dream of seeing it on a 60 ft IMAX screen with reserved seating in NYC was dashed.........I was 3 days away........

they are showing maleficent on the IMAX screens now

FML

oh well, IMAX "experience" will have to do

sh*tty day and I wanted to see this so just went and beside it being visually stimulating with great sound, it really sucked something awful. What a bore.

There were some cool scenes my favorite being the parachute scene but outside of a few, that was cool moments, it's pretty terrible.

just got back.  went with my sister, who like me grew up watching zilla on saturday mornings 

in 1 word, it was "satisfying"

good overall story, good pacing, good finish.  the money shot was cool.  I like that they made zilla a defender, and that he walked upright like a guy in a rubber suit

wish there was more screen time for the battles, and some classic godzilla vs tank shots.  you need a battery of missile launchers, it's the law

EXCLUSIVE: After opening to $103M internationally — the biggest opening of 2014 so far — and grossing $93M domestic stateside this weekend, it should come as no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.‘ are already developing a sequel to the monster hit. It was confirmed to Deadline this morning that a Godzilla sequel is underway. The beast is currently stomping across international markets to take No. 1 spots in most territories.

Related: BOX OFFICE: ‘Godzilla’ Monster Hit at $93M+

The picture was directed by Gareth Edwards, a young British director who grew up on Star Wars and Steven Spielberg films. Godzilla has been made into features before over its 60-year history. The first being in 1954 when the Toho character appeared to be nothing more than a man in a rubber suit, but still fascinated both Japanese and American audiences. It was also made into a film in 1998 by Dean Devlin and director Roland Emmerich but had no where near the opening of this current one. In 1998, the film which starred Matthew Broderick, opened to $44M and went onto gross $136.3M. Worldwide, it grossed $379M. This one could double that.

Edwards has talked about what he would do with a sequel, saying he would use the same kind of restraint that he did for this one. He learned well from watching Spielberg films as the monster was only talked about for the first part of this film. And, of course, there were those reaction shots that added to the suspense. Edwards was given the chance by Legendary’s Thomas Tull who put faith in him to pull this off, having previously done Monsters which only grossed $2.6M in total. Tull has played coy in the media on the subject of a sequel, waiting for Godzilla‘s monster opening to confirm sequel plans. As Dan Fellman (WBros. head of domestic distribution) pointed out, they made more in one night (probably one late night run at 7 PM) than Edwards’ movie did in its entire run. Legendary’s Jon Jashni developed this along with Brian Rogers and Mary Parent. Max Borenstein scripted from a story by David Callaham. Alex Garcia at Legendary was instrumental in the development of this film working, closely with both the director and writer.

It should be noted that there is an ongoing legal dispute over payments/credit on Godzilla winding its way through the courts with filmmakers Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Doug Davison who brought the property to Legendary.

The marketing on this film was excellent, with Legendary Pictures in-house team of Emily Castel, Barnaby Legg, Matthew Marolda and Peter Stone working closely with Warner Bros. and those folks who cut the trailer and did the key art and outdoor, namely vendors Trailer Park and Ignition. The promotional spots — really thought the Fiat one was great — were overseen by Gene Garlock who worked with all the Legendary team as well. Kudos all around.

Godzilla surprised everyone right out of the gate in late nights Thursday with a $9.3M haul and continued to rake in the bucks through the weekend. It is the highest IMAX opener so far this year with $14.1M (or 15%) of the domestic gross and IMAX screens brought in 51% of the international gross.

So everyone wants to know: Will Mothra be in the sequel?

I just saw it.  Good enough movie but too many battles in the dark.  

After Twister came out in the 90's, there was a garbage tv-movie called 'night of the twisters'.  They did it at night to save money on fx.

The Godzilla crew probably had a ton of cgi budget, but doing so much in the dark or clouds made it seem cheaper than it was.

Archived