John Idzik's First Year - your thoughts

Lizard King

How Has Idzik Done?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Has Idzik Performed Well?

• Yes, I like the general direction so far.
    • No, I don't think things are going the right way.
    • It's too early to tell.

It's too early to tell but, so far, I'm not very impressed. His highlight was getting a first round pick+ for Revis when the whole world knew the Jets were absolutely unloading him - and then getting Sheldon Richardson with that pick. The lowlights include the rest of the draft, and the current state of the QB position.

Can't really begin to judge him, though, until we see what he does with free reign at head coach, ten draft picks, and tons of cap space.

Too early to tell.  I'm less than impressed with his ability to identify talent at this point...but that could clearly change with some rookies making a big leap in year 2.

Next year will be his test.  Who does he hire as Head Coach?  And how do the pieces fall from there with all the picks and cap space available.

too early to tell. next year is going to be huge maybe his biggest as a gm.

Postives so far:

love the richardson pick as well as getting ivory.  goodson looked very good in his limited time. got some production from bums off the street as well as 1 year guys: colon, winslow, salas, nelson, sudfield. 

Negatives so far: Almost every pick other then richardson ( i have hope for milliner and i know too  its early to judge rookies but so far not looking great). Garrad is a waste of space.

Hopefully with all the cap and draft picks this offseason, he will cement his legacy.

Idzik gets a pass from me.  No cap room and running his first draft with the old scouting staff.  None of the picks were total head scratchers, even if they haven't worked out on the field.  Getting Ivory for a 4th was a solid move, at the very least. Coaching staff is abysmal with the exception of Dunbar and, perhaps, Kotwica, which all stems from a HC who is totally inept at being a HC.  His GM tenure really starts this off season.

One year means nothing, he knows the line sucks and needs a rebuild, he took Geno

on a flyer and wants Bevel, Wiesenhunt and bevel we be head coaches next year

that is clear, Geno, Ivory, Richardson, with Milner and the FB coming along, it's gonna be

an interesting off season, a lot of new faces, both players and staff.  Wonder how long we

have to wait to interview Bevel if we go that direction, -  we may be a guard and w/o away

from being pretty good on offense, a corner and saftey on defense.

PROS:

1) Moved Revis for a 2013 1st and 2014 3rd/4th coming off an ACL tear, thus avoiding paying $16 million to a corner OR losing him after the season for a 2015 3rd round supplemental pick.

2) Drafted DROY candidate Sheldon Richardson with Revis pick.

3) Cleared the books/avoided costly extensions by cutting ties with Laron Landry, Greene, Keller, Bryan Thomas, Slauson, Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Yeremiah Bell, Tebow, Braylon Edwards, Chaz Schillens.  Earned the max number of compensatory picks as a result.

4) Acquired Chris Ivory (4.4 ypc behind a lousy offensive line) for 4th rounder.

5) Acquired Antwan Barnes (2 sacks and numerous pressures in 5 games in a situational role before his injury).

CONS:

1) Dee Milliner has more benchings than impact plays in his rookie year.  Huge disappointment that we can only hope doesn't end up another Gholston-level megabust.  Corners develop slower than other defensive positions, and he certainly has the physical tools.  But for now, this is a major stain on Idzik's first season.

2) Geno Smith, while showing signs of promise the first half of the season, has fallen off a cliff, and the Jets are a virtual lock to be right back in the QB market next offseason.

3) 3rd round pick Brian Winters is having major difficulties adjusting to the pro game. 

4) David Garrard and Mike Goodson signings.

The jury is still out on Idzik, but his first offseason had more pros than cons.  With limited cap space, his task was to clean up from the mess of the previous regime.  The team overachieved thru 9 games then proved to be far from contention.

He'll now have a full offseason with HIS scouts, about $50 million in cap space, up to 12 draft picks, and perhaps a new handpicked Head Coach of his own choosing.  It'll be hard to say whether he was the correct hire by Woody Johnson until all that shakes out.

So far I am optimistic.   I think he has already changed the dynamic of the organization being a circus.  You rarely heard Rex open his big mouth, although it is still going to happen occasionally.   I think his first draft was ok, not great.   He took a shot on a QB in the second round.  If Geno doesn't work out, it's not a huge loss.  I do think Millner will be an good cornerback and not terrible.  He hasn't overpaid for free agents.  This offseason will really tell how I feel about him.  

too early to tell 

the Revis decision wasn't his to make. The Rex decision wasn't his to make. He bargain basement shopped so much he hasn't committed any long term money to anyone since he's been here. Right now all he's done is clean the slate and had a very mixed draft. 

too early to tell 

the Revis decision wasn't his to make. The Rex decision wasn't his to make. He bargain basement shopped so much he hasn't committed any long term money to anyone since he's been here. Right now all he's done is clean the slate and had a very mixed draft. 

Bravo.

This is the most fair assessment I've seen from you on him.

It's too early to tell but, so far, I'm not very impressed. His highlight was getting a first round pick+ for Revis when the whole world knew the Jets were absolutely unloading him - and then getting Sheldon Richardson with that pick. The lowlights include the rest of the draft, and the current state of the QB position.

Can't really begin to judge him, though, until we see what he does with free reign at head coach, ten draft picks, and tons of cap space.

This sums it up for me. I feel like he methodically avoided doing anything to truly improve this team for a 2013 impact, it's been about 2014 all along.

The Goodson signing was just bad luck. I'm looking forward to him contributing next year. I'd imagine they'll move on from Powell.

Why would they move on from a completely serviceable back? This team is severely lacking in talent, so why would they move on from someone who isn't a terrible player?

It's to early, but so far I'm not that impressed.  Richardson is a great pick, but Tanny & Rex made some good defensive picks over the years.   It's like they didn't move on from the past.     Other than that it's been blah.   People like to build up Ivory, but he's Shonne Greene to me, but can't catch.   It's great when people throw out 4.4 yards, except forget that after 13 games he has about 650 yards rushing.    I mean the guy averages about 50 yards rushing a game, does nothing for the passing game, and is injury prone.   And in a league where passing is key these days, having a RB who isn't even in on passing plays most times, he becomes rather pointless.  It's just the Jets can't pass so he looks better than he actually is.

It will all come down to Geno becoming good or finding a good QB,  finding talented players on offense who can win you games,  and Rex either being fired and hiring a great coach or Rex sticking around and actually caring about the offense.   If the jets still look lost after next season, then it looks like this will be a long long regime of WTF.   I hope the Jets do turn the page and start concentrating on finding talented players on offense.

I voted hasnt performed well.. QB situation is a complete debacle and most of us knew it before training camp began. Only thing good he's done is draft Richardson, but that is undermined by how terrible the rest of the draft seems thus far. He's doesnt come from a scouting background and he's had a tough time finding good players, which is a concern overall

While I agree it's too early to give him a final grade, the intial results are not good. Hopefully year 2, in which he'll have more resources, proves more successful.. but I don't have high hopes unfortunately

I voted hasnt performed well.. QB situation is a complete debacle and most of us knew it before training camp began. Only thing good he's done is draft Richardson, but that is undermined by how terrible the rest of the draft seems thus far. He's doesnt come from a scouting background and he's had a tough time finding good players, which is a concern overall

While I agree it's too early to give him a final grade, the intial results are not good. Hopefully year 2, in which he'll have more resources, proves more successful.. but I don't have high hopes unfortunately

+1

CTM, near a construction site:

"This is the worst building ever. It's just a hole in the ground with some rebar sticking out of it. Early signs aren't good at ALL."

CTM, near a construction site:

"This is the worst building ever. It's just a hole in the ground with some rebar sticking out of it. Early signs aren't good at ALL."

T0mGayne near a crash site:

"The devastation you see before you is surely a step in the right direction, the pilot survived and has learned to never again take off without checking to make sure the plane has fuel. The bodes well for our future."

T0mGayne near a crash site:

"The devastation you see before you is surely a step in the right direction, the pilot survived and has learned to never again take off without checking to make sure the plane has fuel. The bodes well for our future."

CTM, near a bottle of patchouli oil:

"Mmmm. Smells like sex."

Archived