Jets have tough decision with all these QB's in draft

77DRAFT

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both, but mainly the former.

You know, that's alright. I think The Bevell Mission would be to build up Geno, anyway. McCarron, IMO, would be the fallback in the event that Geno completely implodes, even though he's the type of QB you're always looking to upgrade from, like Pennington.

You're right. They should stay the course with the terrible QBs on the roster. It's bad enough they have Sanchez four years, let's give Geno another four and throw in some guaranteed money too.

You'll know you've got a QB when you don't have to draft a QB for five years.

You're arguing against something I never even proposed that I was in favor of. I was merely saying that drafting a new quarterback every year until you "hit" on one is not that smart of a plan, as it allows no time for evaluation or development.  I understand the sentiment for wanting to go after a franchise QB until you land one, but rotating some mid-round prospects every year until one magically dominates their rookie year is not the best plan. 

You're arguing against something I never even proposed that I was in favor of. I was merely saying that drafting a new quarterback every year until you "hit" on one is not that smart of a plan, as it allows no time for evaluation or development. I understand the sentiment for wanting to go after a franchise QB until you land one, but rotating some mid-round prospects every year until one magically dominates their rookie year is not the best plan.

How do you know it's not a smart plan? The current plan isn't working and hasn't worked so might as well try something else.

And how exactly do you know that you "hit" on said QB if you're drafting one every single year? You keep playing them until you find a rookie who lights it up in his first regular season?  How do you evaluate and develop a QB if you're only giving each one a single year to start?

Please, Find that GM, and if they do, throw in Sanchez  as they deserve it for trading a #1 for a guy who Dropped out of the first round for all the reasons we have seen, and now we 

I wrote this post knowing we could draft a corner to replace cro, however if there is a gunslinger with a loose canon, wheels and a ny personality,

then obviously we grab him, of course Tebow is still available for those who want a hoy roller who doesn't practice what he preaches.  Namath

was right with Geno, better athlete than he is quarterback, slow on his reads, his wheels and running ability help him, you could win a championship

with him or Sanchez, they are on the cusp of greatness, Sanchez will start again in the NFL, and Geno will win quite a few games, he needs to learn

the intricacies of the position, he should study Brady in his first season.

can get a 1 for Geno. PLEASE make this happen.

How do you know it's not a smart plan? The current plan isn't working and hasn't worked so might as well try something else.

It's not a smart plan, because it's simply not an effective way to evaluate talent. How many great QBs would your plan have given up on if you were to draft a new QB every year after they struggled their rookie year? If you want to evaluate them properly, do you really thrust a quarterback into the starting role every single year?

I still think they should bring in a rookie to compete with both Geno and a veteran, but to bring in a rookie QB every consecutive season seems a bit much.

Bridgewater is supposedly considering staying at Louisville next year.  That means he and Winston would both be coming out in 2015.  Trade 2014 picks and players for 2015 picks and be ready for our franchise QB then.  In the mean time, play Geno, play Sanchez, I don't care.

Bridgewater is supposedly considering staying at Louisville next year.  That means he and Winston would both be coming out in 2015.  Trade 2014 picks and players for 2015 picks and be ready for our franchise QB then.  In the mean time, play Geno, play Sanchez, I don't care.

Yeah like the plan they were supposed to have this hear when it was one of those "great QB years" as people proclaimed.  Except they'll probably wind up 7-9 or 8-8 and will wind up picking around 10th.         And who expected Houston to be in the running for the #1 pick this year?   Who expected the Colts a few seasons ago as people just assumed Manning would come back.     That's why you don't just give up a year before and suddenly wind up screwed because you finished 6-10 and 5 other teams were worse than you and the best two QBs are gone by then.

It's not a smart plan, because it's simply not an effective way to evaluate talent. How many great QBs would your plan have given up on if you were to draft a new QB every year after they struggled their rookie year? If you want to evaluate them properly, do you really thrust a quarterback into the starting role every single year?

I still think they should bring in a rookie to compete with both Geno and a veteran, but to bring in a rookie QB every consecutive season seems a bit much.

If they draft someone to compete, how many years in a row would that be of drafting a QB?

This I find hard to believe. I'm sure Bridgewater and his "team" have watched Aaron Murray, and Zach Mettenberg both just lose MILLIONS of dollars as they blew out their knees.

Unless, Atlanta or St. Louis (and even then , I think they will trade out), Bridgewater is certainly the #1 pick for Houston, Jacksonville TB etc., and even a team trading up like Tenn. Jets etc.

If he comes out in 2015 and we assume Winston is coming out, then he probably would be the 2nd QB on the board behind Winston.

Put this all together and it makes absolutely no sense for Bridgewater to stay.

it's way too early but the way this is shaping up, Teddy goes 1. Johnny Football goes 2-6 (he won't get past Cleveland, wherever they end up).

who is the 3rd best QB in this draft? It's unclear. I do think they take a QB but more likely in rd 3 than rd 1/2. I also think Geno will finish strong.

Agree with this. Also, if we go QB early, and its not the top QB in the draft, I worry we're in the same place we've been for the entire Rex era. Without any frontline offensive talent around the QB. Hope we go WR at 1, mid round and FA QB.

Agree with this. Also, if we go QB early, and its not the top QB in the draft, I worry we're in the same place we've been for the entire Rex era. Without any frontline offensive talent around the QB. Hope we go WR at 1, mid round and FA QB.

I hope our FA signings allow us to draft BPA, even ifs its an OG, OLB or CB. 

I hope our FA signings allow us to draft BPA, even ifs its an OG, OLB or CB.

Likewise, I just would really love a promising young offensive playmaker. Mostly cause I've seen a lot of them crush us and have no idea what it's like to have one on the Jets.

Jets are going to have two third rounders and two fourth rounders. IMO, the difference between the QB you'd draft at 12 and the QB you'd draft in the third round isn't that huge--they're both going to be projects who aren't close to starting. It'd be wiser to just use the picks to make the bed around the QB position and hope one of them blossoms. Send Geno and Murray/McCarron/Fales to camp surrounded by high-end (but easily attainable) pieces like Marqise Lee (first rd) and Eric Decker (expensive FA). Add a TE in what is a pretty strong receiver draft while bringing back Cumberland cheaply. This can be a pretty good receiving corps fairly quickly.

Jets are going to have two third rounders and two fourth rounders. IMO, the difference between the QB you'd draft at 12 and the QB you'd draft in the third round isn't that huge--they're both going to be projects who aren't close to starting. It'd be wiser to just use the picks to make the bed around the QB position and hope one of them blossoms. Send Geno and Murray/McCarron/Fales to camp surrounded by high-end (but easily attainable) pieces like Marqise Lee (first rd) and Eric Decker (expensive FA). Add a TE in what is a pretty strong receiver draft while bringing back Cumberland cheaply. This can be a pretty good receiving corps fairly quickly.

I am really not completely opposed to this and admittedly I am being a bit selfish, in that how often as Jet fans have we been really excited about a draft pick, a QB, I mean Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, John Elway, RGIII excited? Since JoeWillie, we havent. I just want to be juiced, excited as a Jet fan, watch Jet fans flock to the stores to buy Bridgewater,Manziel Jerseys. Have these guys act like rock stars like JoeWillie used to, get the fan base excited.

Yeah, your probably right, best to build around whoever the QB will be.

Sorry for being selfish.

I am really not completely opposed to this and admittedly I am being a bit selfish, in that how often as Jet fans have we been really excited about a draft pick, a QB, I mean Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, John Elway, RGIII excited? Since JoeWillie, we havent. I just want to be juiced, excited as a Jet fan, watch Jet fans flock to the stores to buy Bridgewater,Manziel Jerseys. Have these guys act like rock stars like JoeWillie used to, get the fan base excited.

Yeah, your probably right, best to build around whoever the QB will be.

Sorry for being selfish.

I would rather Tom's scenario also,..but I have a feeling Woody is going to want Manziel...it will be interesting to see how it goes down.

I'm looking at that other thread with all the Jets QBs listed. It's not possible that they brought in that many guys who simply couldn't play in the league. I think what it shows is that you can't just keep throwing bodies at the position and hoping one of them sticks. It's like planting roses in concrete and wondering why they don't grow. You've gotta make the whole environment conducive to their growth as players.

I would rather Tom's scenario also,..but I have a feeling Woody is going to want Manziel...it will be interesting to see how it goes down.

I'd want Manziel just for the lulz. He's an exciting dude, and it could be fun, but I wouldn't expect him to be the QB here in five years.

I'd want Manziel just for the lulz. He's an exciting dude, and it could be fun, but I wouldn't expect him to be the QB here in five years.

If you're right and they do hire Bevell it could happen, Manziels supporters compare his upside to Russel Wilson

If you're right and they do hire Bevell it could happen, Manziels supporters compare his upside to Russel Wilson

Every 6 foot, mobile QB is getting the Russell Wilson comparison, though. If there's a coach out there who can make it work with Manziel, I'm all for it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Every 6 foot, mobile QB is getting the Russell Wilson comparison, though. If there's a coach out there who can make it work with Manziel, I'm all for it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Wow, now I am getting excited, A coach like Bevell who could actually develop a QB, as opposed to, well you know, and drafting Johnny Football. I havent bought a Jets Jersey since #12 about 40 years ago, but if they draft Manziel, I may have to actually get another to put next to #12.

Wow, now I am getting excited, A coach like Bevell who could actually develop a QB, as opposed to, well you know, and drafting Johnny Football. I havent bought a Jets Jersey since #12 about 40 years ago, but if they draft Manziel, I may have to actually get another to put next to #12.

Music to Woody Johnson's ears, you can never have enough Manziel.

think we wait till the 3rd round earliest. mettenberg/mccarron type

there's a dude named Jimmy Garappolo from Eastern Illinois (Romo's alma mater).

NFLDS has him graded out as a 2-3 cusp. I don't know that he goes that high.

A pick like Jimmy Garappolo might be another Romo or another Carmazzi but either way he NY/NJ area would embrace him on last name alone. 

there's a dude named Jimmy Garappolo from Eastern Illinois (Romo's alma mater).

NFLDS has him graded out as a 2-3 cusp. I don't know that he goes that high.

A pick like Jimmy Garappolo might be another Romo or another Carmazzi but either way he NY/NJ area would embrace him on last name alone.

There isn't now, nor has there ever been, a good Italian athlete.

Archived