*******Official Game-Thread. The NY Jets @ The Carolina Panthers*******

BroadwayJoe12

Completely agreed. Strongly consider Maclin over Nicks anyway, and not really interested in Decker. I like Benn as a FA JAG who'll come at a good price. Still would consider selling out for Watkins. He's the best non-Bridgewater you can add to an offense in this draft.

Not a huge Decker guy either, especially because he'll be looking for big money after playing with Manning. Benn is a guy I wouldn't mind bringing in who has a bunch of raw ability, but is more a camp body.

Pre-injury I'd take Maclin, now I'm not entirely sure. I'm still not sure what Nicks' deal is. I was 100% against him coming into the off-season, but if his price-tag is lowered to a Brian Hartline level of $6 mill a year, it'd rather pay him that than go into the draft with just Hill and Kerley on the roster. 

Agreed. Watkins is one of, if not the most dynamic and explosive every-down players you can add to the offense. I also wouldn't mind finding a spot for De'Anthony thomas, this team just needs play-makers on that side of the ball, even if it is for a guy who will only get 4 or 5 touches.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He misses practice and is tough to rely on, but yet Manning still targets him 90+ times. I can't tell if he's dogging it to not get hurt worse or if he's injured and gutting it out. Ideally, I'd prefer Maclin, but his knee issues are a concern and Manning has played Decker into a contract he doesn't deserve, so Nicks might be the best monetary value.

We're both big on Lee, but the more I watch those two, the the more I see how explosive Watkins is compared to everyone else. I think you should also check out Brandin Cooks, kid attacks the ball in mid-air, he reminds me so much of a faster Steve Smith. Obviously I wouldn't be upset with Lee, dude reminds me of a Tory Holt clone, and Holt was one of my all-time favorite non-jets.

I can't imagine Watkins sneaks out of the top ten, so I'm thinking you grab one of Evans or Lee and pray to God that Geno takes a quantum leap forward. They have 6 picks in the first four rounds, and I'd hope that four of them are used on skill guys. Decker, IMO, combines with Kerley to be Geno's trusted targets--guys who are where they're supposed to be. You get the impression that only Kerley is doing that right now.

Oh, and Nicks is a piece of sh*t. That's confirmed.

You're not even trying anymore.

It was though.  I know you dont want to admit it...but it was.  They played well.  A couple of flukey plays lost the game but they were well prepared and I thought really had the right thing dialed up multiple times with some poor execution.  Carolina is a much better team and they played them tough.

I know its uncool to be positive but there were actually some improvements in this game which is what you want to see for a young team that is really looking to see what they have for next season.

It was though.  I know you dont want to admit it...but it was.  They played well.  A couple of flukey plays lost the game but they were well prepared and I thought really had the right thing dialed up multiple times with some poor execution.  Carolina is a much better team and they played them tough.

I know its uncool to be positive but there were actually some improvements in this game which is what you want to see for a young team that is really looking to see what they have for next season.

The problem is we've dumped all of our resources into the defense and it continues to get worse.

It was though. I know you dont want to admit it...but it was. They played well. A couple of flukey plays lost the game but they were well prepared and I thought really had the right thing dialed up multiple times with some poor execution. Carolina is a much better team and they played them tough.

Rex has put together a flukey five years here.

Tate's bee on a run first team. Maclin's never been over 1,000 yards so dwarfing his production is a hell of a stretch. Tate attacks the football as good as anyone in football. Not saying Maclin is soft.. but we need some tougher players here on offense.

That's true.  However, both play a lot of time in the flank or slot and have very similar games. Maclin may never have had 1000 yard season, but he was also conceding a lot of catches to Desean Jackson as well.  I just think at the end of the year, when you compare both players through 4 seasons: Maclin will have 80+ more catches, 1000+ more yards and 10+ more tds, if that's not dwarfing his production I don't know what is.

if they can bring in FA OG to replace winters, and quality OT depth then I agree.  an OG at 14 can be a soild pick tho and helps the run game and pass game

I think that's the way to go.  You need to have some known quantities protecting the QB because you need to be able to assess the product.  Which is hard to do with a bad OL. 

Weaponz is the priority IMO and those are the guys you take in the draft.  They're too much money in FA and typically not worth it.

That's true.  However, both play a lot of time in the flank or slot and have very similar games. Maclin may never have had 1000 yard season, but he was also conceding a lot of catches to Desean Jackson as well.  I just think at the end of the year, when you compare both players through 4 seasons: Maclin will have 80+ more catches, 1000+ more yards and 10+ more tds, if that's not dwarfing his production I don't know what is.

I wouldnt mind signing both of them honestly.

I can't imagine Watkins sneaks out of the top ten, so I'm thinking you grab one of Evans or Lee and pray to God that Geno takes a quantum leap forward. They have 6 picks in the first four rounds, and I'd hope that four of them are used on skill guys. Decker, IMO, combines with Kerley to be Geno's trusted targets--guys who are where they're supposed to be. You get the impression that only Kerley is doing that right now.

Oh, and Nicks is a piece of sh*t. That's confirmed.

Him being where he's supposed to be is the #1 thing that actually makes me want Decker, assuming he's not asking for $9 mill a year. He's got three things going for him 1) His size and ability to make those tough catches 2.) Playing with Manning his routes are great and he's a very smart player and 3) His wife is amazing to look at. 

I can't be sold on Evans yet as the handful of games that I've seen him, his big gains are usually on broken plays and that's not conducive to evaluating him. If he can prove to NFL guys that he can beat press-man and get consistent separation, that yea, he'd be an ideal target. Jace Amaro is another guy we'd have to consider if Watkins is off the board: grab him and then add a Cooks or Beckham in the second along with hopefully Decker or Maclin and that could go a long way to helping Geno/whomever.  

The problem is we've dumped all of our resources into the defense and it continues to get worse.

The defense is fine.  They held Carolina to 2 TD's on the road and one was very flukey.  They made a bunch of big 3rd down stops to force FG's and they stopped them on a 4th down in the redzone, Carolina being one of the best red zone offenses in the league.

Milliner, while he was terrible on the flukey screen, actually was decent tonight.  Coples is in straight beast mode.  Richardson, Wilkerson, Davis, Harris, Harrison...these guys are actually quite good.  Those resources are very young, they're going to get better.  Tons of potential in those guys.  Everyone seems to forget the D had a ton of turnover.  This isnt a veteran unit.  They're pretty damn good.

Next offseason is all about offense...with some secondary help, those guys missed a ton of tackles tonight.

The defense is fine.  They held Carolina to 2 TD's on the road and one was very flukey.  They made a bunch of big 3rd down stops to force FG's and they stopped them on a 4th down in the redzone, Carolina being one of the best red zone offenses in the league.

Milliner, while he was terrible on the flukey screen, actually was decent tonight.  Coples is in straight beast mode.  Richardson, Wilkerson, Davis, Harris, Harrison...these guys are actually quite good.  Those resources are very young, they're going to get better.  Tons of potential in those guys.  Everyone seems to forget the D had a ton of turnover.  This isnt a veteran unit.  They're pretty damn good.

Next offseason is all about offense...with some secondary help, those guys missed a ton of tackles tonight.

The defense  has gotten worse every season since Rex has been here. it's not fine....and its the only thing Rex cares about. The divide that creates has stunted this offense the past 5 years. There are about 15 teams in the league with clear better defenses.

Harris has to either take a monster paycut or be relesaed. He was in man-covarge on Williams' screen plan and just flat out got beat. If he's not making those sideline to sideline plays, he's worthless if you consider his deficiencies in coverage. 

Holy Christ is Greg Buttle about to break his own neck going into spin mode to cover Rex's ass. First he says that Sparano wasn't really his hire--but Mornhinweg was!--then he follows it up with "Rex isn't really a defensive coach. He's an offensive coach who knows defense." Thank God LaGreca is challenging him

The defense  has gotten worse every season since Rex has been here. it's not fine....and its the only thing Rex cares about. The divide that creates has stunted this offense the past 5 years. There are about 15 teams in the league with clear better defenses.

It was going to take a step back this year.  7 news starters and Revis gone.  Cro's decline and Milliner's suckage has compounded those factors.

The good news is, it's still really good and young.

It was going to take a step back this year. 7 news starters and Revis gone. Cro's decline and Milliner's suckage has compounded those factors.

The good news is, it's still really good and young.

It's good, and it has six first round picks on it. But it's not good enough to justify keeping Rex as HC. Hell, Karl Dunbar is likely the reason the DL is as good as it is.

It's good, and it has six first round picks on it. But it's not good enough to justify keeping Rex as HC. Hell, Karl Dunbar is likely the reason the DL is as good as it is.

I think Rex and Dunbar are the 2 best in the biz when it comes to DL.  Those guys are lucky to have those 2 developing them.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Dunbar retained when the Jets hire Bevell.

While unrealistic in the event of a Head Coaching change, I would like to retain Morninwhig so as to keep continuity with Geno. Whether you hate him or not, he's most likely our opening day starter unless our rookie QB plays his lights out and it would be nice to have a QB familiar with the play-book as opposed to learning a brand new one.

While unrealistic in the event of a Head Coaching change, I would like to retain Morninwhig so as to keep continuity with Geno. Whether you hate him or not, he's most likely our opening day starter unless our rookie QB plays his lights out and it would be nice to have a QB familiar with the play-book as opposed to learning a brand new one.

Which is fine. Watching the Seahawks up close today, they don't do a lot different from what the Jets do. The difference is that everyone knows their roles.

Which is fine. Watching the Seahawks up close today, they don't do a lot different from what the Jets do. The difference is that everyone knows their roles.

That and those guys who know their role are good at football. They might not be the sexiest of players, but when a play needs to be made for them it usually is. Wilson is passing the ball less than anyone else, but he's doing it at such a high efficiency, because they are putting him in positions to succeed. He knows that if the throw isn't there, he can check down or throw it away and their defense will hold him.  That's someone we could have said back in '09 and '10, not anymore.  Granted he's a very good football player, but he's in an ideal situation. I don't think we'd be seeing the same numbers should he be down 2 scores every game and not have the luxury of their rushing attack.  However, I still don't want to take away from how good he is. 

I would honestly like to know the percentage of Geno's turnovers that have come when down by 2 scores, because it seems that every time he tries to press and force the issue to make a play, is when he makes a mistake. 

That and those guys who know their role are good at football. They might not be the sexiest of players, but when a play needs to be made for them it usually is. Wilson is passing the ball less than anyone else, but he's doing it at such a high efficiency, because they are putting him in positions to succeed. He knows that if the throw isn't there, he can check down or throw it away and their defense will hold him. That's someone we could have said back in '09 and '10, not anymore. Granted he's a very good football player, but he's in an ideal situation. I don't think we'd be seeing the same numbers should he be down 2 scores every game and not have the luxury of their rushing attack. However, I still don't want to take away from how good he is.

I would honestly like to know the percentage of Geno's turnovers that have come when down by 2 scores, because it seems that every time he tries to press and force the issue to make a play, is when he makes a mistake.

IMO, there's a psychological aspect, too. Both Mark and Geno were expressly told by their head coach that turning it over was the WORST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD because it compromises the defense. I don't think that's the way you build confidence in any young QB.

IMO, there's a psychological aspect, too. Both Mark and Geno were expressly told by their head coach that turning it over was the WORST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD because it compromises the defense. I don't think that's the way you build confidence in any young QB.

That's why you're not up for coach of the year

So the reason they turn the ball over is because they were told not to turn the ball over? Heh.

The Jets barely throw to wideouts at all. Winslow caught a nice pass in the 2nd half and then gets taken out. Have no idea if TV picked it up, but he was telling the bench "WHAT THE F__?" as he was coming off. Get the sense that kind of approach is not a big selling point for anyone, not player nor fans nor perhaps owners with big mortgages and newfound advertising budgets. You are not winning in the 2013 in NFL if you don't pass well. Wrecks acts like he has some brilliant idea, a secret, that only he knows. it's crap. The idea you can win games like this, being between hostile and indifferent to offense,  is now beyond implausible. 

That and those guys who know their role are good at football. They might not be the sexiest of players, but when a play needs to be made for them it usually is. Wilson is passing the ball less than anyone else, but he's doing it at such a high efficiency, because they are putting him in positions to succeed. He knows that if the throw isn't there, he can check down or throw it away and their defense will hold him.  That's someone we could have said back in '09 and '10, not anymore.  Granted he's a very good football player, but he's in an ideal situation. I don't think we'd be seeing the same numbers should he be down 2 scores every game and not have the luxury of their rushing attack.  However, I still don't want to take away from how good he is. 

The problem with this is that this is reality in 2013.  We see all the winning teams come back from a few scores these days.  And remember, even though the seahawks lost last year, Wilson and that team came back in Atlanta and almost won.   Brady does it.  Luck does it. Manning does it.  The list goes on.   If you go down 10-0 in a game, you shouldn't be done for the day.   And that seems to be the problem with the Jets.   Heck, they go down 7-0 and it's almost lights out.    And Geno seems to play like he has no clue how to play football when they are down by more than 10.     

Yeah in an ideal world a team would be up 14-0 every game, but that just doesn't happen in a league where 95 percent of the teams aren't much better or worse than 8-8.    So if Geno sucks even more when they are down by 10,  he's just not a guy who can be a QB in the NFL.        And we've seen this problem with the jets for years.    

The problem with this is that this is reality in 2013.  We see all the winning teams come back from a few scores these days.  And remember, even though the seahawks lost last year, Wilson and that team came back in Atlanta and almost won.   Brady does it.  Luck does it. Manning does it.  The list goes on.   If you go down 10-0 in a game, you shouldn't be done for the day.   And that seems to be the problem with the Jets.   Heck, they go down 7-0 and it's almost lights out.    And Geno seems to play like he has no clue how to play football when they are down by more than 10.     

Yeah in an ideal world a team would be up 14-0 every game, but that just doesn't happen in a league where 95 percent of the teams aren't much better or worse than 8-8.    So if Geno sucks even more when they are down by 10,  he's just not a guy who can be a QB in the NFL.        And we've seen this problem with the jets for years.    

Not for nothing, but you just named two first ballot HOFers and the best QB prospect to come out since one of the aforementioned HOFers. Of course they can do it, that's why they're super stars and one of the most promising young QBs in the game. It's no mystery that we struggle when we fall behind, we have zero offensive skill-players that can make a play on their own for us. Our best weapon is a bruising running back who is neutralized when we are down big, because he isn't at all involved in the passing game. 

You see the mistakes by our offense when we fall down 10+ because Geno wants to make a play all on his own as if he's in college; he doesn't have the luxury of Wilson or Mark in '09 and '10 to just punt it and live to fight another down, our defense is good, but not that good anymore. 

I'm not saying we need to be up 14-0 in order to win, but within one score and it's a completely different ball-game. It's why the punt block sealed it for us last week and why it lost it for us this week. Right now, as our team is currently constructed, we cannot come back from two scores. The only thing a better rookie qb could do would be to take care of the football better and punt it.  There's just not much we can do on offense right now when we're behind big and the defense can pin their ears back. 

Not for nothing, but you just named two first ballot HOFers and the best QB prospect to come out since one of the aforementioned HOFers. Of course they can do it, that's why they're super stars and one of the most promising young QBs in the game. It's no mystery that we struggle when we fall behind, we have zero offensive skill-players that can make a play on their own for us. Our best weapon is a bruising running back who is neutralized when we are down big, because he isn't at all involved in the passing game. 

You see the mistakes by our offense when we fall down 10+ because Geno wants to make a play all on his own as if he's in college; he doesn't have the luxury of Wilson or Mark in '09 and '10 to just punt it and live to fight another down, our defense is good, but not that good anymore. 

I'm not saying we need to be up 14-0 in order to win, but within one score and it's a completely different ball-game. It's why the punt block sealed it for us last week and why it lost it for us this week. Right now, as our team is currently constructed, we cannot come back from two scores. The only thing a better rookie qb could do would be to take care of the football better and punt it.  There's just not much we can do on offense right now when we're behind big and the defense can pin their ears back. 

We've seen guys like Mike Glennon make plays and I don't think he's good.  But same team and Freeman vs Glennon and suddenly they at least have won and competed.    Hell Ryan Fitzpatrick comes back and today Matt Flynn came back.      Geno and this offense really seem to be done once it's a 10-0 game.   Yes, it's not all on Geno as the GM & Coach have given him nothing, it's on the players who just suck or play like Holmes and that's to not really play or care at all, but at the end of the day,  Geno needs to make a damn play now and again and it seems he's more likely to throw a pick than he is to throw for a first down.  

There are rookie mistakes, there are gun slinger mistakes, but Geno isnt' a gun slinger.  If he had 20+ TDs and 20+ picks, you'd say rookie mistakes, CUtler/Favre  stubbornness and arrogance.        Geno is just a guy who throws picks, but seems to be more like Sanchez and Alex Smith and others who should just be game managers.    And even then, sometimes those guys need to make plays to win games.   

I don't know. I had hope that Geno would improve over the year, that the team would improve.   I wasn't as concerned with a winning record or even a playoff drive, both would be nice, but people get too hyped over lucking into the playoffs on some bad 8-8 team.   It's why the jets are always where they are now and never winning divisions.   Fans and the coaches and players all seem to forget they aren't very good, but hey, because they went 9-7, lucked into the playoffs, things are looking up.  

It was said in Mangini's first season.  Things are looking up.  Team wasn't that good, but there was at least hope then.  People looked at it like the team was a few players away.   Going to overtake the Pats.    And then the Jets just were never that good or never improved.  They even got Favre and wound up fading down the stretch into a 9-7 non playoff team.    Rex's first year, they wound up lucking into the playoffs at 9-7 with a rookie QB, had a good defense, made a nice run, and then thought they were better than they were.    The signed a lot of players, traded for a fading LT, and wound up a better team, but they won a lot of close games that season.   They were embarrassed by the Pats on national tv and then made the run to the playoffs again.  

Over the past three years they just lived off of those first two seasons where the team was as never as good as people hoped.  Plus they never replaced some players, got better at other positions, adapted, evolved, and so on.   I honestly don't even know if this is a Rex thing, Idzik thing, etc.   If you've been a Jets fan for over 25 years,  it's almost the same crap, just a different regime.    Some years they stink. Some years they show hope.  But they rarely are ever a division winner, rarely are a legit contender, etc.   They are always a team who needs everything to fall into place just to make it into the playoffs.  And then they need the perfect matchups and rematches to form so they can have enough incentive to win.      

What I see this year is a 'rebuilding' year where they didn't rebuild and nobody has a clue what the hell is coming next year.  Idzik could fire everybody, start fresh and maybe make a splash.  Or he could do the status quo and keep Rex and continue to bring on scrubs on offense and hope the ground and pound with a crappy QB gets them to 9-7.   I don't see this team as improving or going anywhere. I see a team who will probably finish 7-9, land the 10th pick, and hope next year they have a better rebuilding year.    

When you look back at the Seahawks, Panthers, etc there were methods to their madness.   They improved, made some questionable picks, lost some games, lost some hope, but there was also hope that the team was going to get better.  Seahawks got lucky in being in a bad division, winning a playoff game at home as huge underdogs, and they got lucky with a 3rd round QB being good surrounded by talented players.   But they also didn't sit on their laurels.  Like their moves or not, they went out and tried to find talented offensive players.    Same can be said about the Panthers.    

The Jets did nothing on offense.  They came into the season with the same crap that sucked last year or they found a bunch of scrubs from other teams and hoped those guys would be good enough.   Going forward, this year is a "WTF" for Idzik and a "Rex really had 1 winning season since he's been HC."   I really hope they find a way to find talent on offense.  And I don't mean a guy like Ivory who is a serviceable back,  but he sucks in the passing game and he's really Thomas Jones, except not as good and behind a worse offense.   And he's injury prone.  

Nobody wins in the NFL with Thomas Jones or Shonne Greener or Chris Ivory as your only good players.  They might help more talented players win., but not much else.  The problem the Jets have is Ivory is the most talented guy on the offense.  Which is kind of depressing considering he wont' even rush for 1000 yards.

Good point. No one expected such a dismal season out of this roster. 6-8 now? Unbelievable. Look at all the wasted talent! This is clearly a playoff roster and Rex hasn't coached them up enough.

I'm actually surprised they went toe to toe with Carolina in thier house. Expected much worse. Pretty well coached game overall.

When you think about it, we basically won this game.

#Rextension

We've seen guys like Mike Glennon make plays and I don't think he's good.  But same team and Freeman vs Glennon and suddenly they at least have won and competed.    Hell Ryan Fitzpatrick comes back and today Matt Flynn came back.      Geno and this offense really seem to be done once it's a 10-0 game.   Yes, it's not all on Geno as the GM & Coach have given him nothing, it's on the players who just suck or play like Holmes and that's to not really play or care at all, but at the end of the day,  Geno needs to make a damn play now and again and it seems he's more likely to throw a pick than he is to throw for a first down.  

There are rookie mistakes, there are gun slinger mistakes, but Geno isnt' a gun slinger.  If he had 20+ TDs and 20+ picks, you'd say rookie mistakes, CUtler/Favre  stubbornness and arrogance.        Geno is just a guy who throws picks, but seems to be more like Sanchez and Alex Smith and others who should just be game managers.    And even then, sometimes those guys need to make plays to win games.   

I don't know. I had hope that Geno would improve over the year, that the team would improve.   I wasn't as concerned with a winning record or even a playoff drive, both would be nice, but people get too hyped over lucking into the playoffs on some bad 8-8 team.   It's why the jets are always where they are now and never winning divisions.   Fans and the coaches and players all seem to forget they aren't very good, but hey, because they went 9-7, lucked into the playoffs, things are looking up.  

It was said in Mangini's first season.  Things are looking up.  Team wasn't that good, but there was at least hope then.  People looked at it like the team was a few players away.   Going to overtake the Pats.    And then the Jets just were never that good or never improved.  They even got Favre and wound up fading down the stretch into a 9-7 non playoff team.    Rex's first year, they wound up lucking into the playoffs at 9-7 with a rookie QB, had a good defense, made a nice run, and then thought they were better than they were.    The signed a lot of players, traded for a fading LT, and wound up a better team, but they won a lot of close games that season.   They were embarrassed by the Pats on national tv and then made the run to the playoffs again.  

Over the past three years they just lived off of those first two seasons where the team was as never as good as people hoped.  Plus they never replaced some players, got better at other positions, adapted, evolved, and so on.   I honestly don't even know if this is a Rex thing, Idzik thing, etc.   If you've been a Jets fan for over 25 years,  it's almost the same crap, just a different regime.    Some years they stink. Some years they show hope.  But they rarely are ever a division winner, rarely are a legit contender, etc.   They are always a team who needs everything to fall into place just to make it into the playoffs.  And then they need the perfect matchups and rematches to form so they can have enough incentive to win.      

What I see this year is a 'rebuilding' year where they didn't rebuild and nobody has a clue what the hell is coming next year.  Idzik could fire everybody, start fresh and maybe make a splash.  Or he could do the status quo and keep Rex and continue to bring on scrubs on offense and hope the ground and pound with a crappy QB gets them to 9-7.   I don't see this team as improving or going anywhere. I see a team who will probably finish 7-9, land the 10th pick, and hope next year they have a better rebuilding year.    

When you look back at the Seahawks, Panthers, etc there were methods to their madness.   They improved, made some questionable picks, lost some games, lost some hope, but there was also hope that the team was going to get better.  Seahawks got lucky in being in a bad division, winning a playoff game at home as huge underdogs, and they got lucky with a 3rd round QB being good surrounded by talented players.   But they also didn't sit on their laurels.  Like their moves or not, they went out and tried to find talented offensive players.    Same can be said about the Panthers.    

The Jets did nothing on offense.  They came into the season with the same crap that sucked last year or they found a bunch of scrubs from other teams and hoped those guys would be good enough.   Going forward, this year is a "WTF" for Idzik and a "Rex really had 1 winning season since he's been HC."   I really hope they find a way to find talent on offense.  And I don't mean a guy like Ivory who is a serviceable back,  but he sucks in the passing game and he's really Thomas Jones, except not as good and behind a worse offense.   And he's injury prone.  

Nobody wins in the NFL with Thomas Jones or Shonne Greener or Chris Ivory as your only good players.  They might help more talented players win., but not much else.  The problem the Jets have is Ivory is the most talented guy on the offense.  Which is kind of depressing considering he wont' even rush for 1000 yards.

It's 1:25am, I'm not going to read 10 paragraphs, I'll just assume we agree that the offense is putrid and it needs to be seriously addressed in the off-season. 

using this perspective do you ever wonder if Rex actually covets beating up on the offense in practice ?  I wonder how much the offense really gets out of practice other than pure suckage since Rex's defenses are well known for beating up on sub par offenses/ Could this be having a negative effect on the development of the offense ?

• 6 months later...

Archived