Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

I don't see how you can say anything but Rex is likely out.

The NFL doesn't really do the "lame duck" coach thing and it's very difficult to argue for a contract extension for a guy who has had 3 straight non-winning, non-playoff seasons.

Miraculously, if you follow this forum, which I know you do, we have had literally thousands of posts expounding the very thing you said is difficult to do, given his record the past 3 years. Go Figure.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of the defense loves Rex. Hell, I'm sure everyone on the team Loves Rex and will be bummed when he's gone and I don't blame them, but I highly doubt it's going to somehow cause their motivation or desire to win go down. I've caught myself in it too thinking the defense will decrease when Rex is gone, but there are a lot of guys out there who can scheme it up and unless Idzik or the new HC is an idiot, they aren't going to bring in someone who's scheme doesn't fit our personnel. 

You know who's going to feel bummed when Rex is gone?  Geno.  Did you see his comments about letting him down?  He knows he's probably the reason he gets fired. 

He's coaching.  The guy loves the game too much to go into to TV.

He'll fill a void from one of the hot DC's that get scooped up.  Cinci might make a lot of sense since Zimmer is a popular name.

Maybe Denver if Del Rio is plucked. 

I could see Dallas too. 

Got to disagree Bit.  I Like Rex, but said at the time that if it was Rex who was fully responsible for putting Sanchez back in that game at that point, he deserved to be canned.

The season was lost at that moment.   Don't like Sanchez, and am glad he's gone, but he's much better then Smith

hindsight. There was no way to tell that Sanchez was better than smith in the preseason when Sanchez was also throwing INT's to defensive ends on screen plays. First drive of the damn preseason. 

I agree. Unless it's someone like Mangini who creates an atmosphere where players despise coming into work, that could be an exception.

Meh. They hated him all the way to 8-3 until Favre collapsed. Belichick treats his players like chattel slaves. Parcells terrorized his players.

Meh. They hated him all the way to 8-3 until Favre collapsed. Belichick treats his players like chattel slaves. Parcells terrorized his players.

True, but you can't pull the sh*t that Mangini did without a history of winning. Bellichick and Parcells can do it, because they have the hardware. Mangini tried to be Bellichick without any reason to act like it and it wore thin once they tanked.  Either way, whatever new guy comes in, I hope they aren't a system guy who will get rid of good players because they don't fit. One of the things I liked about Rex is he made guys fit, like Sheldon.  I'd hate to see us scrap the 3-4 because the guy we bring in is predominantly tampa 2 or something alone those lines.

He's coaching.  The guy loves the game too much to go into to TV.

He'll fill a void from one of the hot DC's that get scooped up.  Cinci might make a lot of sense since Zimmer is a popular name.

Maybe Denver if Del Rio is plucked. 

I could see Dallas too. 

To go to Dallas, he would have to grow his hair out like some 60's freak, and be able to make a face like someone just shoved an anvil up your butt.

True, but you can't pull the sh*t that Mangini did without a history of winning. Bellichick and Parcells can do it, because they have the hardware. Mangini tried to be Bellichick without any reason to act like it and it wore thin once they tanked. Either way, whatever new guy comes in, I hope they aren't a system guy who will get rid of good players because they don't fit. One of the things I liked about Rex is he made guys fit, like Sheldon. I'd hate to see us scrap the 3-4 because the guy we bring in is predominantly tampa 2 or something alone those lines.

In that thread 80 put together, when you look at the guys who are returning, they can all play 4-3 (and it probably fits them better). Idzik may have given us a hint that he's leaning that way by drafting Richardson in the first place--he's a natural 3-tech. Coples at DE, Wilkerson moving back and forth between DT and DT, with Demario Davis in the middle is the right way for each of those dudes to line up.

hindsight. There was no way to tell that Sanchez was better than smith in the preseason when Sanchez was also throwing INT's to defensive ends on screen plays. First drive of the damn preseason. 

And to think, we all thought that the guy who blasted Sanchez would be our new "Mo Lewis" HERO, Blast the starter and the replacement becomes a first ballot HOF and wins 3 SB'S. This only happens in fairy tales right? Not real life?

Nobody can replace Rex so they'll probably just leave the position vacant as a sign of respect for his great and many accomplishments.

Well the best thing for everyone on this board would be for the Jets to stop playing football, just think of all the productive things we all could do instead of being miserable pricks!

This is sad. He got my hopes up so much when he had the "Belichick rings" comment, phone call to season ticket holders, dominant defense and the back to back AFCCG with the fly boys and Broadway Mark. Jet Pride was at an all time high. Family parties with the local news crew at the house for the playoff runs. There were some good times. This is the biggest letdown of my entire fanhood. What a total implosion.

Never fails to stun me this fanbase...Rex Ryan could run planetary orbit sized circles around Herm Edwards as a coach. 

The record is what it is.

The point of the post isn't that I believe Herm Edwards was a great head coach. I don't.

But whether you think he was or not, the fact is that the records of both he and Rex Ryan are not that diifferent. In fact, you can make an argument that, over 5 years, Herm had more success as coach of the Jets than Ryan did.  

So I find it amusing that the same guys who rave about how great Rex Ryan is are the same guys who ridicule Edwards when the records are not that different. Why? Because Rex Ryan was a cocky, boastful, tough talking, politically incorrect redneck that appealed to the long suffering Jet fan by threatening to kick Bill Belichick's ass at midfield?

My opinion:

Rex Ryan is a very good defensive technician, and a very good motivator, both critical skillsets in coaching defense. He also instills an "aggresive attitude in coaching defense. On defense, you can be a "players coach" because you play to a players emotions.  

Coaching offense is much more technical in nature, not as "emotional". Sure you want to be physical and dominate the line of scrimmage upfront, and that requires emotion, but today's offense is mostly about precision and timing and discipline. And coaching offense in today's game requires an aggressive nature. You need to attack defenses.

In my mind, a head coach needs to embody all of these things on both sides of the ball and Rex Ryan falls way short for a number of reasons:

1. He is not a disciplinarian and does NOT hold his players accountable (ex. How many blown timeouts, penalties at crucial times, too many men on the field, does one have to see over 5 years to recognize that?)

2. He still believes that in today's NFL, you can win Super Bowls with good defense and a passive offense.

3. He fails to learn by his mistakes. Whether it's shooting off his mouth, or not benching QB's when they've deserved to be benched, he continually makes the same mistakes over and over again.

4. He is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent. Anybody who thinks Mike Tannebaum was picking the players in his time as GM is crazy. Do you really believe that the same guy who picked Darrelle Revis would pick Kyle Wilson? Mangini picked Revis and the rest of the players while he was coach. Ryan picked his players, including Wilson. Ryan won with Mangini's players. But other than Mo Wilkerson, who was 1st round pick, he's failed miserably "shopping for the groceries".  

5. He does not value "character" in players. Don't get me wrong .... every football team needs a few "criminals" to provide a little edge, but the inmates can not run the asylum. A good team has strong veteran leadership that keeps the criminals in check. Good leadership and strong character on a football team is critical to success. Yet, Rex names a guy like Santonio Holmes "captain". That's all you need to know about his ability to assess "character" and "leadership".

As I said, I think Rex is a very good defensive coordinator, but he's not the Great and Powerful Oz of defenses, either. In fact I think he is somewhat overrated, even as a defensive coach, and he is certainly not irreplaceable. Baltimore proved that by replacing him and winning a Super Bowl.

He is an average head coach who has not shown an ability to learn from his mistakes nor is he the disciplinarian who holds players accountable that I believe a head coach needs to be. 

I believe it's time for the Jets to turn the page.

Just my opinion.

Flame away.

Don't get me started on the Rangers! I've avoided those boards, I would probably lose my mind if I posted on Rangers boards! Having my wife scared when I watch, and yell at the TV for 2.5 hours is enough.

If I watch a Jet game and a Ranger game in the same week, my "counselor" doubles his fee.

The record is what it is.

The point of the post isn't that I believe Herm Edwards was a great head coach. I don't.

But whether you think he was or not, the fact is that the records of both he and Rex Ryan are not that diifferent. In fact, you can make an argument that, over 5 years, Herm had more success as coach of the Jets than Ryan did.  

So I find it amusing that the same guys who rave about how great Rex Ryan is are the same guys who ridicule Edwards when the records are not that different. Why? Because Rex Ryan was a cocky, boastful, tough talking, politically incorrect redneck that appealed to the long suffering Jet fan by threatening to kick Bill Belichick's ass at midfield?

My opinion:

Rex Ryan is a very good defensive technician, and a very good motivator, both critical skillsets in coaching defense. He also instills an "aggresive attitude in coaching defense. On defense, you can be a "players coach" because you play to a players emotions.  

Coaching offense is much more technical in nature, not as "emotional". Sure you want to be physical and dominate the line of scrimmage upfront, and that requires emotion, but today's offense is mostly about precision and timing and discipline. And coaching offense in today's game requires an aggressive nature. You need to attack defenses.

In my mind, a head coach needs to embody all of these things on both sides of the ball and Rex Ryan falls way short for a number of reasons:

1. He is not a disciplinarian and does NOT hold his players accountable (ex. How many blown timeouts, penalties at crucial times, too many men on the field, does one have to see over 5 years to recognize that?)

2. He still believes that in today's NFL, you can win Super Bowls with good defense and a passive offense.

3. He fails to learn by his mistakes. Whether it's shooting off his mouth, or not benching QB's when they've deserved to be benched, he continually makes the same mistakes over and over again.

4. He is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent. Anybody who thinks Mike Tannebaum was picking the players in his time as GM is crazy. Do you really believe that the same guy who picked Darrelle Revis would pick Kyle Wilson? Mangini picked Revis and the rest of the players while he was coach. Ryan picked his players, including Wilson. Ryan won with Mangini's players. But other than Mo Wilkerson, who was 1st round pick, he's failed miserably "shopping for the groceries".  

5. He does not value "character" in players. Don't get me wrong .... every football team needs a few "criminals" to provide a little edge, but the inmates can not run the asylum. A good team has strong veteran leadership that keeps the criminals in check. Good leadership and strong character on a football team is critical to success. Yet, Rex names a guy like Santonio Holmes "captain". That's all you need to know about his ability to assess "character" and "leadership".

As I said, I think Rex is a very good defensive coordinator, but he's not the Great and Powerful Oz of defenses, either. In fact I think he is somewhat overrated, even as a defensive coach, and he is certainly not irreplaceable. Baltimore proved that by replacing him and winning a Super Bowl.

He is an average head coach who has not shown an ability to learn from his mistakes nor is he the disciplinarian who holds players accountable that I believe a head coach needs to be. 

I believe it's time for the Jets to turn the page.

Just my opinion.

Flame away.

Flame what? Great Post. The only thing with the HERM thing is that it is near blasphemy to insinuate HYPOCRISY on this site, how dare you?

Archived