Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

so... you wanted Rex fired after his first losing season. tough crowd.

Yeah, I did. It was evident at that point that Rex was clearly not head coaching material, as by year 3, he was still making ridiculous mistakes, terrible in game decisions, and his love for Sanchez would clearly ruin this team. As it turned out, if they had ridded themselves of REX, their would never have been that ridiculous extension to Sanchez that ruined our team.

Sorry but the first year was courstesy of CURTIS PAINTER, year 2 was a good year, but still many bad mistakes, and year 3 was the start of a complete meltdown and should have ended there. Sorry.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joewillie's post comparing Herm Edwards and Rex Ryan's tenures couldn't be clearer to me. Herm was head and shoulders a better HC than Rex. I loved "You play to win the game." Herm never boasted and put a target on his team's back. The seasons he didn't win were the ones Pennington was hurt. Rex has mismanaged his time in NY for long enough. Baltimore was right in NOT making him their HC. Ozzie Newsome took one look at him and realized he would buddy up with his players and accountability would fly out the window, much like it has here.

joewillie's post comparing Herm Edwards and Rex Ryan's tenures couldn't be clearer to me. Herm was head and shoulders a better HC than Rex. I loved "You play to win the game." Herm never boasted and put a target on his team's back. The seasons he didn't win were the ones Pennington was hurt. Rex has mismanaged his time in NY for long enough. Baltimore was right in NOT making him their HC. Ozzie Newsome took one look at him and realized he would buddy up with his players and accountability would fly out the window, much like it has here.

Herm also had Pennington who, while bad, was nowhere near as bad as Sanchize.

so... you wanted Rex fired after his first losing season. tough crowd.

Yeah, I did. It was evident at that point that Rex was clearly not head coaching material, as by year 3, he was still making ridiculous mistakes, terrible in game decisions, and his love for Sanchez would clearly ruin this team. As it turned out, if they had ridded themselves of REX, their would never have been that ridiculous extension to Sanchez that ruined our team.

Sorry but the first year was courstesy of CURTIS PAINTER, year 2 was a good year, but still many bad mistakes, and year 3 was the start of a complete meltdown and should have ended there. Sorry.

You have it so wrong Bit.  He didn't want him fired after his first losing season, but after his first non-winning season.  The first time the team didn't win 2 playoff games. 

**** dbutt, I've got muffin top.

Do you really believe he is a TOP 5 coach as you wrote or are you just jerking us around?

Belichick

Harbaugh

Peyton

Harbaugh , again

Caroll

Coughlin

McCarthy

Reid

Fisher

Thats 9 off hand and another 2 coaching Washington and Pitt have rings. I know you like REX but Top 5? Come on, that means that another 5 years of 40-38 and you will have him in the Hall of Fame. Really?

Here are the coaches I'd take over Rex:

Belichick

Harbaugh

Reid

Fox

Shanahan (I know they are 3-11 this year but he could turn this around if you let him buy the groceries)

McCarthy

Payton

Harbaugh

Carroll (different guy now than he was in 1994)

Do you really believe he is a TOP 5 coach as you wrote or are you just jerking us around?

Belichick

Harbaugh

Peyton

Harbaugh , again

Caroll

Coughlin

McCarthy

Reid

Fisher

Thats 9 off hand and another 2 coaching Washington and Pitt have rings. I know you like REX but Top 5? Come on, that means that another 5 years of 40-38 and you will have him in the Hall of Fame. Really?

I can believe Rex is getting fired but if Snoopy bowl is the reason we are in big trouble with Idzik in charge.  Everyone knows Idzik wanted to start Geno. That's the whole reason why Geno started preseason game 3 even though he didn't earn it. 

everyone knows ? Where do you get your info from ?

Idzik is in WAY over his head.  He can't blame Rex for the WR situation.  I'm sorry, but he needed to at least make some strides to fix it.  I'm not a GENO fan, but Geno has no chance to succeed and now you've ruined his confidence.

once again Idzik had no money at his disposal to fix anything on this team . We went into full rebuild mode as soon as he stepped into the building. Everyone is well aware we have a lot of picks coming up this year and money to spend as well. I doubt Idzik will be judged on year 1 he will be judged moving forward without his hands being tied like what he walked into. Choosing a HC is part of the process and personally I can't wait until Rex's fat ass is the hell out of here. Hes a terrible HC and has no clue how to handle an organization from that standpoint. 

everyone knows ? Where do you get your info from ?

Think Bit over stated it with "everyone knows".  Probably should have read, all the evidence indicated, from what  was going on with Smith leading up to the Snoppy Bowl, a vast majority  of fans strongly suspected Idzik wanted him to start

Wilkerson was on with Joe and Evan....some reading between the lines on my part but he seemed more complimentary of Idzik than Rex. Boring interview though.

Really?

• 92f22566ee3fc97dc1d7955b528a619f_normal.
    Muhammad Wilkerson, on WFAN, said he loves Rex + GM John Idzik is "a great guy" w/ "a plan."
    Beat Writer / Columnist

• d2e5b0c38a6185cbd1e836e58e5fedf8_normal.
    RT @SethWalderNYDN: Mo on WFAN on Rex: "I love him. I want the guy here. But me and my teammates, we can’t make that decision." #nyj96123fad9e192856eb38ca2f6fc4d9f8_normal.
    Muhammad Wilkerson told me he loves Rex: "it's not my decision if he stays or not, but I’d like him as a coach.” t.co
    1h
    TV / Radio Personality
    Blogger / Podcaster

Really?

• 92f22566ee3fc97dc1d7955b528a619f_normal.
    Muhammad Wilkerson, on WFAN, said he loves Rex + GM John Idzik is "a great guy" w/ "a plan."
    Beat Writer / Columnist

• d2e5b0c38a6185cbd1e836e58e5fedf8_normal.
    RT @SethWalderNYDN: Mo on WFAN on Rex: "I love him. I want the guy here. But me and my teammates, we can’t make that decision." #nyj96123fad9e192856eb38ca2f6fc4d9f8_normal.
    Muhammad Wilkerson told me he loves Rex: "it's not my decision if he stays or not, but I’d like him as a coach.” t.co
    1h
    TV / Radio Personality
    Blogger / Podcaster

From listening at least he was way more direct speaking of Idzik than Rex.

I think most of the defense loves Rex. Hell, I'm sure everyone on the team Loves Rex and will be bummed when he's gone and I don't blame them, but I highly doubt it's going to somehow cause their motivation or desire to win go down. I've caught myself in it too thinking the defense will decrease when Rex is gone, but there are a lot of guys out there who can scheme it up and unless Idzik or the new HC is an idiot, they aren't going to bring in someone who's scheme doesn't fit our personnel. 

From listening at least he was way more direct speaking of Idzik than Rex.

Not the impression I got at all. He was very descriptive about how much Rex cares about them and all people. Very complimentary of Idzik as well though. It didn't sound like Mo was going to play any less if Rex was fired bc thats just who he is, but that isnt a shot against Rex.

Good the Jets need to release all the Circus clowns known as Holmes,Sanchez,Cromartie,Rex Ryan. They should go apply to be clowns at ringling brothers circus or be a party clown. That's what those 4 should be. The Jets clown show the past 3 seasons has been a debacle. Fold the circus tent the jets are and make them not a circus anymore. I hope John Clayton is right and fatso dummy bozo rex ryan is gone. The time is now for the jets to make major changes that means the coach should be gone no matter what he did in 2009,2010 with Manginis team he inherited. There has been zippo production ever since then with Rex Ryans hand picked players. What a fraud. See Ya Rex Ryan! Good Riddence

Good the Jets need to release all the Circus clowns known as Holmes,Sanchez,Cromartie,Rex Ryan. They should go apply to be clowns at ringling brothers circus or be a party clown. That's what those 4 should be. The Jets clown show the past 3 seasons has been a debacle. Fold the circus tent the jets are and make them not a circus anymore. I hope John Clayton is right and fatso dummy bozo rex ryan is gone. The time is now for the jets to make major changes that means the coach should be gone no matter what he did in 2009,2010 with Manginis team he inherited. There has been zippo production ever since then with Rex Ryans hand picked players. What a fraud. See Ya Rex Ryan you Bum!

POTMFW

. I think Rex is staying..... because Woody Johnson WANTS him back, period. John Idzik will have to pull a "him or me" scenario if he wants to can Rex because he will be doing so over the objection of the owner.

This part I can agree with.  Belichick was a defensive genius who stunk as a head coach for five years, then went from us to the Patriots and won Super Bowls.  Woody sees another defensive type who did better than Belichick his first 5 years.  He doesn't want Rex going to another team and winning Super Bowls on the experience he had on Woody's team.

It was understood that Rex was here for at least one year, but nowhere in that announcement did it say that after year one Idzik had complete discretion to fire Rex at will.  the Jets have been good enough with the crappy personnel that they have, I think Woody wants to keep the staff and get better players.

I think most of the defense loves Rex. Hell, I'm sure everyone on the team Loves Rex and will be bummed when he's gone and I don't blame them, but I highly doubt it's going to somehow cause their motivation or desire to win go down. I've caught myself in it too thinking the defense will decrease when Rex is gone, but there are a lot of guys out there who can scheme it up and unless Idzik or the new HC is an idiot, they aren't going to bring in someone who's scheme doesn't fit our personnel.

Players liking a coach is not on the list of criteria when evaluating said coach.

I'm sure glad I didn't waste my $$$ on the Sunday Ticket this season...guess what, I won't be doing it next year either as it will be year 48 since a SB appearance-pathetic franchise, it really is.

Guess you havent learned that with this team you need "lowered expectations"

I'm not that worried about what guys coaching you think are better. I'm more worried about who is available. 

We werent either but when Jif said he was Top 5, I nearly spit out my Coors Lite. I know he likes Rex and doesnt want him fired but we still must try to be somewhat subjective in approach. To claim that a guy who is barely above .500 in win Percentage and has had 3 consecutive non-winning seasons with all those 3 ending in late season collapses, and being the coach of the two worst starting QB's in the NFL the past 5 years, hardly qualifies one to be Top 5 in anything.

Also, why worry about who's available? Theres a plethora of talent out there, that cant wait to take over this loaded roster. Just watch.

Here are the coaches I'd take over Rex:

Belichick

Harbaugh

Reid

Fox

Shanahan (I know they are 3-11 this year but he could turn this around if you let him buy the groceries)

McCarthy

Payton

Harbaugh

Carroll (different guy now than he was in 1994)

Forgot about Fox. Good call. Shanahan, HMMM....... I dont know. What I do know is if he came to the JETS, I guarantee the first thing he would do is anything he has to to find a REAL QB. Thats his M.O., he has to have a QB and he would chuck Sanchez and Smith to the curb faster than REX can down a cheeseburger.

Archived