Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

I think Mangini and Ryan both had a very large influence in the draft and who got selected under Tannenbaum. Tanny was an accountant, not a personnel guy and he knew it.

I believe Idzik yields a bit more power in who gets selected now.

Just an opinion ... We'll agree to disagree on that one.

Rex/Mangini, Tanny, Bradway.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clayton is usually wrong fwiw.

But 5 years is a long time. The team stinks...we're not losing Vince Lombardi.

It took Cowher like 13 years to win a superbowl, and in his 15 years coaching he got to as many afcc games as Rex in his first 2 years.

It is a qb driven league, you hamstring a coach by not providing him with a qb and its gonna be tough sledding.

It took Cowher like 13 years to win a superbowl, and in his 15 years coaching he got to as many afcc games as Rex in his first 2 years.

It is a qb driven league, you hamstring a coach by not providing him with a qb and its gonna be tough sledding.

The problem is, the head coach has a hand in developing that player (QB in this instance). Also, Rex has had 5 years to find one. But really, even if you dont believe this, you can make the argument that Rex let 3 guys walk out of the building that would be the best weapons on offense if they were still with the team (Clemens, Woodhead, and Cotchery). There were others too (Ihedibo, etc) - but those come right to my mind. This to me is the nail in the coffin on his talent evaluation skills. That is 110% on the head coach.

The problem is, the head coach has a hand in developing that player (QB in this instance). Also, Rex has had 5 years to find one. But really, even if you dont believe this, you can make the argument that Rex let 3 guys walk out of the building that would be the best weapons on offense if they were still with the team (Clemens, Woodhead, and Cotchery). There were others too (Ihedibo, etc) - but those come right to my mind. This to me is the nail in the coffin on his talent evaluation skills. That is 110% on the head coach.

Seriously?

Getting back to topic a bit (sorry to interupt the fun lol) 

Bill O'Brien would be my top candidate personally.

Bevell and Whisenhunt are probably the favorites due to their connections with the organization.

Interesting sidenote is that O'Brien is not denying his interest in going to an NFL team. There was some thought that he may want to stay in college. Seems like he wants to go pro at this point.

You would rather have David Nelson? Clemens > Geno. Woodhead > any 3rd down back on the roster. So, yeah, I'm kinda serious.

Yeah, I remember how upset the fanbase was when Kellen Clemens moved on. I'm happy for him, but he's hardly tearing it up out there.

Cotchery left after a down year, at a time when it looked like his skills were eroding. It wasn't until three years later that he caught more than 20 passes in a season again.

Woodhead leaving was more a product of Tannenbaum's constant finagling with the bottom of the roster than anything Rex did there. He was an undrafted rookie FA in a crowded backfield. And while I'm no great fan of Chris Ivory, or the deal to bring him here, he's better than Woodhead. So is Powell. So is Goodson.

Yeah, I remember how upset the fanbase was when Kellen Clemens moved on. I'm happy for him, but he's hardly tearing it up out there.

Cotchery left after a down year, at a time when it looked like his skills were eroding. It wasn't until three years later that he caught more than 20 passes in a season again.

Woodhead leaving was more a product of Tannenbaum's constant finagling with the bottom of the roster than anything Rex did there. He was an undrafted rookie FA in a crowded backfield. And while I'm no great fan of Chris Ivory, or the deal to bring him here, he's better than Woodhead. So is Powell. So is Goodson.

Its not up to the fanbase to make up the roster. Its up to the Head Coach. If it was up to the fanbase and based on popularity, Belicheck would have never made 10 year old boys all over New England rip their Drew Bledsoe pictures down from their bedroom walls.

Nobody can replace Rex so they'll probably just leave the position vacant as a sign of respect for his great and many accomplishments.

I think you're just being your typical sarcastic self but I'd be ok retiring the job if they're going to fire Rex. It would prove they don't know how to handle position anyway

Its not up to the fanbase to make up the roster. Its up to the Head Coach. If it was up to the fanbase and based on popularity, Belicheck would have never made 10 year old boys all over New England rip their Drew Bledsoe pictures down from their bedroom walls.

Meh. Kellen Clemens leaving is not the reason the Jets suck at QB.

Meh. Kellen Clemens leaving is not the reason the Jets suck at QB.

Not really the point. Point is he is performing better than any Jets QB, on a different team, with just as little talent. Why did the Jets get rid of him? For Mark Brunnell? Its the same idiotic theory as having David Gerard on the roster. Are you telling me you would rather have Geno's last three games or Clemens? Really the point of me saying this is that Clemens is actually performing pretty decent for his first starts in years. You think he would perform that way under Rex? Clemens appears to be a viable QB. The Jets havent had anything look like a viable QB in 3 years.

Not really the point. Point is he is performing better than any Jets QB, on a different team, with just as little talent. Why did the Jets get rid of him? For Mark Brunnell? Its the same idiotic theory as having David Gerard on the roster. Are you telling me you would rather have Geno's last three games or Clemens? Really the point of me saying this is that Clemens is actually performing pretty decent for his first starts in years. You think he would perform that way under Rex? Clemens appears to be a viable QB. The Jets havent had anything look like a viable QB in 3 years.

I really don't think it has a thing to do with Rex. Clemens is managing a couple games at age 30? Cool. I wasn't a big fan of the Brunell move, and absolutely hated the Garrard move, the latter of which I don't think Rex had much of a say in. Don't think he had much say in Geno coming in, either.

The Jets got rid of him, because the last time he took any significant snaps (8 games started 250 passes) for the team he was completing 52% of his passes, while throwing for 5 tds, 10 ints at a whopping 6.1 Y/A. He was also throwing to Cotchery, Coles, Smith,  Baker, McCareins and Leon Washington: not exactly a stellar group, but still much better than anything we've had in a couple years. So besides being terrible, did the Jets really need a better reason to not keep him around, other than maybe he'd improve to a decent backup 6 years down the line?

That Mangini sure could draft.  Why doesn't that cocksucker have a real job in the league?  

Because he sucked as a coach, most players hate guys like him, especially when you don't win, and he was beyond arrogant and thought he was better than everybody else. And he had nothing to back that up at all.  Plus the guy kind of looked like a fool with the entire spygate stuff.   He came off as a spoiled brat former BB coach, more than a guy who wanted justice.      

With Rex, he might be arrogant and obnoxious, but he knows defense, players seem to love him, he knows how to motivate for certain opponents and games, and hell he did win 4 road playoff games.   

If Mangini wasn't such an a-hole, he'd probably be in some front office evaluating talent.  He did seem to have a clue in that department.  Instead he went to cleveland, sucked as a coach, showed more arrogance, wound up on TV and the rest is history.    When you act like you're better than Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and so on and you're nothing more than some young pup who didn't really get your feet wet or succeed at anything,   and you're arrogant about it, nobody is going to hire you or want to work with you.  And that is where Mangini is at.   One of those a-holes that nobody really likes.

Clemens? C'mon now.

The other guys, we don't know who made those decisions. I kinda recall Rex liking  Woodhead.

In regard to developing a player, you can only make so much out of who the gm drafts/signs. Also, specifically to qb, no amount of development will make 90% of the qb's in the nfl successful without also having 1)talent in the line protecting him and 2) talent at wr to throw it to. Look at some of the Oline and wr corps we have put on the field the last 3 seasons. Seems to me like every year got worse. Is that Rex's fault? I am sure he put in his 2 cents for defensive players in the draft, but I don't know that it was his decision, and I highly doubt he had any real input into this season's roster.

They didn't say it during the preseason, but everyone knows this season was meant to be a culling of contracts and players to rebuild. I can't imagine the front office had much higher expectations than the talking heads who put us near the bottom of the league. BOTH sides of the ball were severely hacked up, lots of starters gone. The offense struggled, while the defense did find a way to outperform for most of the season, getting us probably twice as many wins as most people thought.

The problems on offense really fall on the qb/wr play. I don't think Geno was who the Jets were really looking to draft. I think Idzik had to work with scouts from the old regime and I think Geno fell to such a low spot that the Jets just saw him as the BEP on the board and rolled the dice.

I think:

1) If Rex is fired he finds another head coaching job in less than 72 hours.

2) He is a great defensive mind and can get about as much out of a defense as any coach could hope to get.

3) What head coach could the Jets get that would be an improvement over Rex? Not Gruden, he isn't coming back, and neither is Cowher. Here is a guy who went to the AFCC in 2 of 5 years with teams that seriously outplayed their own talent?

4) If Rex is canned, that means Marty is gone to because what coach wants to be stuck with an OC that isn't his pick.

5) Marty is probably as good an OC as the Jets could hope to get.

6) Right now we have what I view to be as good a tandem in defensive mind in Rex and offensive mind in Marty as the Jets have had.

Clemens? C'mon now.

The other guys, we don't know who made those decisions. I kinda recall Rex liking  Woodhead.

In regard to developing a player, you can only make so much out of who the gm drafts/signs. Also, specifically to qb, no amount of development will make 90% of the qb's in the nfl successful without also having 1)talent in the line protecting him and 2) talent at wr to throw it to. Look at some of the Oline and wr corps we have put on the field the last 3 seasons. Seems to me like every year got worse. Is that Rex's fault? I am sure he put in his 2 cents for defensive players in the draft, but I don't know that it was his decision, and I highly doubt he had any real input into this season's roster.

They didn't say it during the preseason, but everyone knows this season was meant to be a culling of contracts and players to rebuild. I can't imagine the front office had much higher expectations than the talking heads who put us near the bottom of the league. BOTH sides of the ball were severely hacked up, lots of starters gone. The offense struggled, while the defense did find a way to outperform for most of the season, getting us probably twice as many wins as most people thought.

The problems on offense really fall on the qb/wr play. I don't think Geno was who the Jets were really looking to draft. I think Idzik had to work with scouts from the old regime and I think Geno fell to such a low spot that the Jets just saw him as the BEP on the board and rolled the dice.

I think:

1) If Rex is fired he finds another head coaching job in less than 72 hours.

2) He is a great defensive mind and can get about as much out of a defense as any coach could hope to get.

3) What head coach could the Jets get that would be an improvement over Rex? Not Gruden, he isn't coming back, and neither is Cowher. Here is a guy who went to the AFCC in 2 of 5 years with teams that seriously outplayed their own talent?

4) If Rex is canned, that means Marty is gone to because what coach wants to be stuck with an OC that isn't his pick.

5) Marty is probably as good an OC as the Jets could hope to get.

6) Right now we have what I view to be as good a tandem in defensive mind in Rex and offensive mind in Marty as the Jets have had.

Snoopy Freaking Bowl decision?? Rex is blamed because we lost Sanchez for the season? Lets not forget, the entire franchise base wanted Sanchise gone anyways. He was THE worst QB the last two years in the NFL. Not exactly your Peyton Manning or Brady type QB.

And idzik being upset about it suggests me Idzik had no idea what he wanted to do with the team n it's QB situation. After Sanchez was lost, the Jets CS wanted Simms to start. But it know. That Idzik is the one behind the Geno start. So much for his love of Sanchez.

the Jets have a year on his contract, after this one

if he gets fired he could take another job immediately or he could just sit back and collect checks. Lovie Smith is doing it. 

Agreed.  He needs to make sure he takes the right job if he takes a HC job.  Most guys get a second chance, getting a third is a little tuffer.  

Nobody can replace Rex so they'll probably just leave the position vacant as a sign of respect for his great and many accomplishments.

It is going to be hard.  Let's face it:  making sound challenges, making proper use of timeouts, reducing dumb penalties are things that could disrupt this talent base's delicate balance.  Playing better in the last third of a season would also bring them into unfamiliar territory.  We can't have that.  Maybe we could even get a real number one receiver in here who can stay healthy, avoid bar fights, take his bipolar medications, and not have double digit drops.  Or find a safety who has more than a 9 inch vertical and 4.9 speeds in the 40.  Or find a defensive coordinator who is not also the head coach, part of the time. 

Snoopy Freaking Bowl decision?? Rex is blamed because we lost Sanchez for the season? Lets not forget, the entire franchise base wanted Sanchise gone anyways. He was THE worst QB the last two years in the NFL. Not exactly your Peyton Manning or Brady type QB.

And idzik being upset about it suggests me Idzik had no idea what he wanted to do with the team n it's QB situation. After Sanchez was lost, the Jets CS wanted Simms to start. But it know. That Idzik is the one behind the Geno start. So much for his love of Sanchez.

funny how we have now had the worst qb in the league 3 years in a row

This could be the worst analysis possible.  it is possible that you have listed half the guys that left under Rex that are still in the league.  I think Clemens and Ihedigbo were both FAs. 

Because he sucked as a coach, most players hate guys like him, especially when you don't win, and he was beyond arrogant and thought he was better than everybody else. And he had nothing to back that up at all.  Plus the guy kind of looked like a fool with the entire spygate stuff.   He came off as a spoiled brat former BB coach, more than a guy who wanted justice.      

With Rex, he might be arrogant and obnoxious, but he knows defense, players seem to love him, he knows how to motivate for certain opponents and games, and hell he did win 4 road playoff games.   

If Mangini wasn't such an a-hole, he'd probably be in some front office evaluating talent.  He did seem to have a clue in that department.  Instead he went to cleveland, sucked as a coach, showed more arrogance, wound up on TV and the rest is history.    When you act like you're better than Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and so on and you're nothing more than some young pup who didn't really get your feet wet or succeed at anything,   and you're arrogant about it, nobody is going to hire you or want to work with you.  And that is where Mangini is at.   One of those a-holes that nobody really likes.

He does have a job.  He is some type of offensive assistant with the Niners.  Hahaha.  It's easy to find good players to fill an empty roster.  Much harder to find players to crack a solid one.  I think everyone will think Idzik is a genius this year because IMO finding talent this year will be easy.

I would guess that the decision to can Rex is mostly based on the decline of performance of the team in the last 3 years-particularly the team's inability to develop, and regression during those years.

He won't be fired. The public statement will be that both sides decided it was best at this time to go in separate directions. This allows Ryan to save a little face, which is very important to him.

Ok fair point, I'll clarify the poll. The question should have been, "Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season." That's the ultimate question that I'm looking for.

Archived