Jets SIgn WR Dwight Jones to Practice Squad

jetsrule128

Good risk..had some dumb mistakes at UNC with some turds trying to cash in on his name etc. He made a few bad decisions. Texans took him as a UDFA and he killed in camp and had basically made the team. Reason he left team in middle of night,  was his infant son had rare lung disease and he mentally had trouble dealing w/that and football. He quit to be w/Mom and son. The son died awhile later and Dwight has been rebuilding his mental fortitude and will. This guy was All ACC, fast  and decent hands (no Stephen Hill, LOL). 6'3 , 230 lbs, can bully CBs.

If and I mean if he is in shape and mentally 'all there' this is a guy who will be on Jets roster for many years to come. I am 100% sure Coples was consulted, they are friends I hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

I like this guys attitude. Humble and down to earth. Hope he stays along and competes next year in camp.

Dwight Jones said he had a good feeling about Tuesday’s workout with the Jets. His hunch stemmed from a dream his sister had about New York, standing out because Jones, a native of rural Burlington, N.C., had never been to the city.

Once the workout, before Jets’ personnel executives and coaches in the club’s indoor practice facility, had concluded, Jones said he walked into a bathroom, dropped to his knees and thanked God.

By lunchtime Wednesday, the wide receiver had been signed to the practice squad and was suited up in a Jets helmet and white uniform bearing a No. 14 and his last name across the back in green stitching. Judging by his description of lining up against Antonio Cromartie as a member of the scout team and catching passes in drills alongside Santonio Holmes, Jones was as much a fan as a participant Wednesday.

The afternoon marked the first day of Jones’ second stint in the NFL, but also the end of a painful journey that began Sept. 2, 2011, with the birth of his second son. On that night, Deizean Jones was born as his father kicked off his final collegiate season at North Carolina.

Deizean -- the middle child of Jones’ three children -- was born with ailments to his lungs, heart and brain, Jones said, though he did not elaborate further. Doctors immediately identified that those ailments would complicate Deizean’s life, Jones said.

After his final college season, Jones signed with the Houston Texans as an undrafted rookie, a promising combination of size (6-3 and 230 pounds), speed (a 4.50 mark in the 40-yard dash) and production (in his senior season, Jones caught 12 touchdowns). Headed into offseason workouts, Jones proclaimed he would try to emulate his new teammate, All-Pro receiver Andre Johnson.

But on May 29, after little more than a month in the NFL, Jones abruptly notified the Texans he was leaving the sport behind.

“I knew that walking away from football at that time was right,” Jones said. “But it was difficult.”

Aside from those close to Jones, few understood why he walked away from the opportunity to make an NFL roster. Online reports ridiculed Jones, labeling him a “quitter.”

“A lot of people thought I just quit football,” Jones said. “My son was born real sick.”

He added, “I wasn’t even mentally prepared to play football.”

Jones returned to Burlington to be with his son, who died July 6, 2013, due to those medical complications.

“He didn’t even make it to his second birthday,” Jones said.

Caring for his son, Jones said football was no longer a significant part of his life. The 2012 season came and went. After Deizean’s death, Jones said he wasn’t intent on returning to the game.

“I missed football, but I wasn’t trying to get back into football,” Jones said. “I thought God had something else in for me.”

Late this summer, though, he began fielding calls from former coaches, agents and representatives from teams. He went to Montreal with the urging of a friend, hoping for a path to the NFL via the Canadian Football League. The Texans still held his rights, Jones learned, and so he couldn’t practice or play in Canada. Once he secured a release from the Texans, Jones began a series of workouts for NFL teams.

Finally, on Tuesday, Jones made it to Florham Park. Strengthened and humbled by the memory of his son, Jones said he performed his best workout since returning to football.

“Even though I am on the practice squad, I don’t care,” Jones said. “I’m on a football team, the New York Jets.” 

Not that this says much but he might be the most physically gifted scrap heap WR they've picked up all year. Hitting on a player like this would be awesome just because the Jets never do. It would be nice to end the Cruz/Woodhead talk by getting an UDFA floater WR to stick. G'luck Dwight Jones! Dwight JOOOOOOOOOONES 

He reminds Da'Rick Rogers as far as talented guys who went undrafted. Da'Rick is probably more explosive and the better talent, but he's proof that if you want to make it as an UDFA, Jones needs to work his ass off and stay clean: it took Rogers two teams and about 13 games to ever get a chance to prove himself.

He reminds Da'Rick Rogers as far as talented guys who went undrafted. Da'Rick is probably more explosive and the better talent, but he's proof that if you want to make it as an UDFA, Jones needs to work his ass off and stay clean: it took Rogers two teams and about 13 games to ever get a chance to prove himself.

... and Andrew Luck having nobody else to throw the ball to.

... and Andrew Luck having nobody else to throw the ball to.

True, he certainly took advantage of the opportunity. but on a team that boasted both Cordarelle Patterson and Justin Hunter, Rogers was arguably the most gifted and physically talented receiver on that team. And if Jones is looking for a team with sh*tty and or injured receivers, he's certainly come to the right place.

Da'Rick Rogers was a 1st round talent, but a 1st class AHole, that is why he went undrafted!

Da'Rick Rogers was a 1st round talent, but a 1st class AHole, that is why he went undrafted!

I know, that's why I made the comparison. Before Jones' quite the Texans, he was caught up in the UNC scandal and was suspended for something like the entire season, but was allowed to play in their bowl game. Super talented. Dumbass. Undrafted. 

I know, that's why I made the comparison. Before Jones' quite the Texans, he was caught up in the UNC scandal and was suspended for something like the entire season, but was allowed to play in their bowl game. Super talented. Dumbass. Undrafted. 

He never missed a game, he was not allowed to partake in the UNC pro day thou, and was not informed about it until the day of the scheduled pro day, and scrambled to set up a work out at a nearby HS on the same day, but only 1 scout showed up.  He also played in the senior bowl.  He did make UNC, and the NCAA look real bad after canceling a New Years Eve party so he could get reinstated for the Dec 27th bowl game, but after the bowl game he uncanceled the party, and did not partake in half of the scouting combine drills, and because of his missed pro day he fell from a 3rd rounder possibly to undrafted.

He never missed a game, he was not allowed to partake in the UNC pro day thou, and was not informed about it until the day of the scheduled pro day, and scrambled to set up a work out at a nearby HS on the same day, but only 1 scout showed up.  He also played in the senior bowl.  He did make UNC, and the NCAA look real bad after canceling a New Years Eve party so he could get reinstated for the Dec 27th bowl game, but after the bowl game he uncanceled the party, and did not partake in half of the scouting combine drills, and because of his missed pro day he fell from a 3rd rounder possibly to undrafted.

Holy christ, I know. This is exactly why I said he reminds me of a less talented Da'Rick Rogers. Both are extremely talented, yet f*cked up. And now much like Rogers, Jones has a chance to latch on with a team should he keep his head on straight and work his ass off. Whether he missed zero games or 15 games he was still suspended, reinstated and then went undrafted.  The exact scenario is not the crux of my point, just that he was extremely talented and f*cked up.

This guy could be a free agent steal. Unfortunately he won't help us this season, but with a full training camp it'll be "Stephen Hill report to Mr Idzik's office, and bring your playbook." Gotten by the Turk.

Or it could be Stephen Hill, Dwight Jones, Jeremy Kerley, and Sammy Watkins shaping up to be an elite WR tandum for NY Jets headline in training camp, that is what I would be rooting for (Sammy Watkins is just a hypothetical, insert whatever WR we draft this year, or sign), Hill is FUKCING 22 years old, all the guys clamoring for the FSU kid like he is the next Calvin Johnson, and he is 23 years old dominating college the same way Hill would be if he played in FSU's offense, and is a year younger!

I wish the Jets drafted Alshon Jeffrey over Hill as much as anyone in Hindsight, but they didn't, and that isn't Hills fault, before he was concused he had a great start to this season, give him another offseason to learn the position, all you impatient fans are the reason it is so difficult to stick around this forum.  All you guys would have cut well over 50% off the WR's in the HOF after their 2nd year production.

In this era of egotistical athletes trying to get away from responsibility for their kids, Dwight Jones' decision to possibly give up his football career to be with his desperately ill son stands out.  Doesn't sound like a lunkhead from here.  Hope he sticks and does good.

I like this guys attitude. Humble and down to earth. Hope he stays along and competes next year in camp.

Dwight Jones said he had a good feeling about Tuesday’s workout with the Jets. His hunch stemmed from a dream his sister had about New York, standing out because Jones, a native of rural Burlington, N.C., had never been to the city.

Once the workout, before Jets’ personnel executives and coaches in the club’s indoor practice facility, had concluded, Jones said he walked into a bathroom, dropped to his knees and thanked God.

By lunchtime Wednesday, the wide receiver had been signed to the practice squad and was suited up in a Jets helmet and white uniform bearing a No. 14 and his last name across the back in green stitching. Judging by his description of lining up against Antonio Cromartie as a member of the scout team and catching passes in drills alongside Santonio Holmes, Jones was as much a fan as a participant Wednesday.

The afternoon marked the first day of Jones’ second stint in the NFL, but also the end of a painful journey that began Sept. 2, 2011, with the birth of his second son. On that night, Deizean Jones was born as his father kicked off his final collegiate season at North Carolina.

Deizean -- the middle child of Jones’ three children -- was born with ailments to his lungs, heart and brain, Jones said, though he did not elaborate further. Doctors immediately identified that those ailments would complicate Deizean’s life, Jones said.

After his final college season, Jones signed with the Houston Texans as an undrafted rookie, a promising combination of size (6-3 and 230 pounds), speed (a 4.50 mark in the 40-yard dash) and production (in his senior season, Jones caught 12 touchdowns). Headed into offseason workouts, Jones proclaimed he would try to emulate his new teammate, All-Pro receiver Andre Johnson.

But on May 29, after little more than a month in the NFL, Jones abruptly notified the Texans he was leaving the sport behind.

“I knew that walking away from football at that time was right,” Jones said. “But it was difficult.”

Aside from those close to Jones, few understood why he walked away from the opportunity to make an NFL roster. Online reports ridiculed Jones, labeling him a “quitter.”

“A lot of people thought I just quit football,” Jones said. “My son was born real sick.”

He added, “I wasn’t even mentally prepared to play football.”

Jones returned to Burlington to be with his son, who died July 6, 2013, due to those medical complications.

“He didn’t even make it to his second birthday,” Jones said.

Caring for his son, Jones said football was no longer a significant part of his life. The 2012 season came and went. After Deizean’s death, Jones said he wasn’t intent on returning to the game.

“I missed football, but I wasn’t trying to get back into football,” Jones said. “I thought God had something else in for me.”

Late this summer, though, he began fielding calls from former coaches, agents and representatives from teams. He went to Montreal with the urging of a friend, hoping for a path to the NFL via the Canadian Football League. The Texans still held his rights, Jones learned, and so he couldn’t practice or play in Canada. Once he secured a release from the Texans, Jones began a series of workouts for NFL teams.

Finally, on Tuesday, Jones made it to Florham Park. Strengthened and humbled by the memory of his son, Jones said he performed his best workout since returning to football.

“Even though I am on the practice squad, I don’t care,” Jones said. “I’m on a football team, the New York Jets.” 

Thanks for the article. I didn't know that story about him.

When I saw the post that the Jets had signed Jones, I thought, why are the Jets signing that jerk?

Kid has a good bit of talent, great size speed ratio.  Drops to many balls, but then will make a circus catch.  I know this is a fluff article, but if this kid has his act together, he could actually be a great find.  

In this era of egotistical athletes trying to get away from responsibility for their kids, Dwight Jones' decision to possibly give up his football career to be with his desperately ill son stands out.  Doesn't sound like a lunkhead from here.  Hope he sticks and does good.

That part sounds admirable.  The part where he violated rules by advertising a birthday party, then agreeing to cancel the party so he could play in the bowl game and then having the ad back up on his twitter/facebook account the night afer the game? Not so much.  Interesting kid.  Good to get an early take on him for next year's camp.

Thanks for the article. I didn't know that story about him.

When I saw the post that the Jets had signed Jones, I thought, why are the Jets signing that jerk?

Kid has a good bit of talent, great size speed ratio. Drops to many balls, but then will make a circus catch. I know this is a fluff article, but if this kid has his act together, he could actually be a great find.

Well it seems that 50% of Young WRs are jerks/idiots. In that age many are just that. He have gone thru some deep sh*t and seems to make the most of his second chance. Lets hope for the best. He's for free and in the state that we are, got at good chance to stick.

Thanks for the feedback on his strenghts!

Archived