Jets \ Browns: Official Game Thread

Maxman

The problem with the final weeks of a season is some players are playing out the string and others are trying to fight for a job. Thinking a player is good or bad in these types of games is like thinking a team will be good because they went 4-0 in preseason. There are plenty of teams who suddenly win 4 in a row to end a season and next season looks good. Except it means nothing. Only to players and coaches fighting for a job.

I like to see them win both games, but taking anything from these games is kind of pointless. Whether they lose 50-0 or win 50-0 doesn't really matter as far as next year is concerned or whether or not some players can play.

I was talking specifically about the play of an individual player: it being towards the end of the season doesn't make Geno's more accurate throws not count, his defensive play recognition not be real or his working through his progressions be trivial. Same goes for Milliner's coverage on possibly the second best WR in the league this year.

These are all positives that are not taken away due to the time of the season.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking specifically about the play of an individual player: it being towards the end of the season doesn't make Geno's more accurate throws not count, his defensive play recognition not be real or his working through his progressions be trivial. Same goes for Milliner's coverage on possibly the second best WR in the league this year.

These are all positives that are not taken away due to the time of the season.

Milliner has improved this game because Gordon and the Browns WR drop more passes than the Jets WR.

Milliner has improved this game because Gordon and the Browns WR drop more passes than the Jets WR.

You're right, their drops are the reason for Milliner being in Gordon's jock on a lot of those plays and the reason for his handful of pass breakups. Not to mention his interception. And how could I forgot how their WRs are making Geno play better. Good catch.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the browns are a top ten defense and we're doing some positive things against them. That's exactly what you want to see from your young guys going into the offseason, but feel free to be perpetually cynical about things.

Not without Joe Haden.

They aren't even close, thought they were. Just rush yards per play I believe. They're playing tough though and it's what you want to see: Geno and Milliner are showing signs of what you want from them and how anyone could take that as anything but positive is destined to just be perpetually miserable.

Great game.  The team played very well.  Not like a team that is eliminated from the playoffs.

The best thing to see is that they're improving.  They went through a tough stretch, mostly at the heels of a struggling rookie QB, but they've bounced back nicely and strung together 3 really good games.  Proud of the team.  Impressed with the coaching staff.  The fact this team was just a few games out of the playoff conversation is amazing.

Geno played great.  Offense collectively played very well.  Nice to see Milliner improving.  Richardson, Davis, Allen all had really nice games.  Coples continuing to make plays. 

Good stuff to see.  With all the cap space and picks, the Jets could improve immensely next season. 

Nope, just sitting after he broke the record. Their defense just doesn't look championship caliber worthy when you see teams like the Seahawks. For as good as Manning has be, he showed he can't win it all if he doesn't get at least a little help from the defense.

Yeah, but its awfully nice to have that guy slinging it when your defense DOES break down. I'll take my chances with him in the AFC anyway.

Yeah, but its awfully nice to have that guy slinging it when your defense DOES break down. I'll take my chances with him in the AFC anyway.

As would I, but I've seen this scenario many times: The Pats lose today, giving Denver the #1 seed, where they then take off week 17 and go into the bye with no momentum only to get booted in divisional round. Hope it doesn't happen, I personally want to see Manning win another, but just not sure I trust their defense.

You're right, their drops are the reason for Milliner being in Gordon's jock on a lot of those plays and the reason for his handful of pass breakups. Not to mention his interception. And how could I forgot how their WRs are making Geno play better. Good catch.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the browns are a top ten defense and we're doing some positive things against them. That's exactly what you want to see from your young guys going into the offseason, but feel free to be perpetually cynical about things.

Lets not make guys better than they are it's the whole season and after 15 games we still aren't set at QB nor are we set at CB

Lets not make guys better than they are it's the whole season and after 15 games we still aren't set at QB nor are we set at CB

It is a whole season and just like the stretch run where Geno struggled, you need to factor in the games he played well in and how he closes out the season. I would feel much more comfortable if Geno heads into the off-season with two games like this than I would if we ended it with Brett Ratlff Matt Simms starting.  I personally feel and have felt all along that he's showed enough when our offensive roster was healthy, to warrant another year of starting, but that doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB should we like the value and signing a competent veteran for competition. I think you have to bring in a capable veteran like Campbell and draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete with Geno, because while I believe he has the talent to succeed, you cannot go into the season without another capable QB on the roster.

Jets. Always winning meaningless games.

And cost themselves a higher draft pick. 

Browns had lost 5 in a row coming in, 6 after today. jason Campbell IS geno Smith's best case scenario. Because Geno Smith still sucks and always will. 

Wrecks' Jets have failed to win 2 in a row dating back 34 games back to late 2011. 

We get another week of fawning NY media telling us this fat moron deceives another year of ignoring this offense. 

BEEN THERE. DONE THAT.

WOOP DE DAMN DOO. 

THIS FRANCHISE IS TOTALLY SCREWED.

Archived