Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

Is Bellicheck retiring?

Houston?

Lol.

I think we should extend Rex, if he can beat the browns he is legit!

I meant as New England's defensive coordinator, a situation where the Pats would be destroying the Jets even more then they do now. Also, if he wins out he's got a good shot at the Houston job, the owner stated he wanted a coach with NFL head coaching experience. Plus, he has a better resume then Lovie, and Lovie is one of the front runners. Also, laugh all you want but this is exactly what would happen with the Jets. Ryan's one of the best head coaches we've had in a while, with the way the Jets are cursed it only makes sense that he'd go somewhere else and have success. Also, Houston has a lot of defensive talent, Ryan's scheme would make that defense nasty. In addition to having a talented defense, they have the first pick in the draft so Ryan could get the qb he's always dreamed of having.

Also, what head coach do you want to replace Ryan? Bevell lmao.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't read this entire thread, but nobody seems to know exactly what Rex said.  I am in the camp that believes he said, word on the street is I am getting fired.  Play hard let's prove them wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I doubt he said I am getting fired, they already told me.  Because people don't tip their hand like that, if that was the case, they would have just fired Rex already.

Non issue though, they go 8 and 8 and Rex comes back next year.  Very good coaching job for Rex this year.

Pretty much. Him and his coaching staff have done a great job of putting the youngsters in a position to succeed. They're getting better each week. Its what you want to see from a young team. Lots of the youngsters made plays today, Davis, Coples, Allen. All had nice games. Its good to see. Looking forward to the future with all the cap space and picks. I'd love to see it play out with this coaching staff.

Not up to me though. Should be. But it isnt.

Agree, I miss the feeling of hoping five things break right to squeeze into the 6th sees on a great year.

Feels like winning the lottery.

I didn't read this entire thread, but nobody seems to know exactly what Rex said.  I am in the camp that believes he said, word on the street is I am getting fired.  Play hard let's prove them wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I doubt he said I am getting fired, they already told me.  Because people don't tip their hand like that, if that was the case, they would have just fired Rex already.

Non issue though, they go 8 and 8 and Rex comes back next year.  Very good coaching job for Rex this year.

I keep going back and forth - but you have to give Rex a chance to fail with talent on the roster. When he has had it, he has taken the team pretty far.

I keep going back and forth - but you have to give Rex a chance to fail with talent on the roster. When he has had it, he has taken the team pretty far.

do you think that the Holmes, Sanchez, and Harris extensions were solely the work of Tannenbaum or did Rex give his blessing?    What role do you think Rex played in the decision to double down with Sanchez/Holmes?   Those 2 albatross contracts are the primary reasons there isn't talent on offense.   

I'd have to double check with NYJetsCap but if I had to guess  I would say that this team has more cap $$ committed to offense than defense.  

Oh and thanks for the shout out on the JN Facebook page.  It gets testy in there at times lol.

In facebook land, it would seem that being a real fan equates to having your default photo being of you with duckface and a Jets hat.  Those who do not, secret Pats fans!

Pretty much.  Him and his coaching staff have done a great job of putting the youngsters in a position to succeed.  They're getting better each week.  Its what you want to see from a young team.  Lots of the youngsters made plays today, Davis, Coples, Allen.  All had nice games.  Its good to see.  Looking forward to the future with all the cap space and picks.  I'd love to see it play out with this coaching staff.

Not up to me though.  Should be.  But it isnt.

With a good offseason from Idzik this roster should have enough talent to be very, very good next year no matter who the HC is. I guess a good offseason + first year HC boost from New Culture before the cycle really starts kicking in. 

The defense isnt that good anymore and Rex apparently needs an all-star team on that side of the football. Buffalo's defense looks pretty good this year....hmm.

Criticizing Rex for needing an all-star team to field a good defense and then citing Buffalo as your alternative isn't the best comparison. They had one of the priciest off-seasons in history last year and have spent a plethora of high draft picks on that side of the ball: one of the biggest contracts for Mario Williams, 1st round (3rd overall) pick for Dareus, 2nd round (46th) pick for Kiko, 1st rounder (11th) overall pick for McKelvin, 2nd round (42nd) pick for Byrd, 1st round (10th overall) pick for Gilmore and a 2nd round (34th) pick for Williams. Is it that surprising that the strength of their team is the #1 pass defense when they've spent two firsts (two top 11 picks) and two seconds on it, compared to their 18th or so overall rush defense??  Same with our team: we spent three first rounders on our line, the number one rush-defense and our pass defense is by far the weakest, 22nd or so. 

Criticizing Rex for needing an all-star team to field a good defense and then citing Buffalo as your alternative isn't the best comparison. They had one of the priciest off-seasons in history last year and have spent a plethora of high draft picks on that side of the ball: one of the biggest contracts for Mario Williams, 1st round (3rd overall) pick for Dareus, 2nd round (46th) pick for Kiko, 1st rounder (11th) overall pick for McKelvin, 2nd round (42nd) pick for Byrd, 1st round (10th overall) pick for Gilmore and a 2nd round (34th) pick for Williams. Is it that surprising that the strength of their team is the #1 pass defense when they've spent two firsts (two top 11 picks) and two seconds on it, compared to their 18th or so overall rush defense??  Same with our team: we spent three first rounders on our line, the number one rush-defense and our pass defense is by far the weakest, 22nd or so. 

So the talent makes the defense-correct? What's Rex's value as a HC then?

One needs talent in order to coach, but not every coach can turn that talent into production. I'm not arguing for Rex here, just pointing out your completely agenda-driven post. 

Dont see how it's agenda driven. Just pointing out the defense wont suddenly be a total disaster if Rex were to  be let go. There are plenty of other good defenses in the league succeeding without Rex(Buffalo). 

Dont see how it's agenda driven. Just pointing out the defense wont suddenly be a total disaster if Rex were to be let go. There are plenty of other good defenses in the league succeeding without Rex(Buffalo).

Nonsense .if we lose Rex we will instantly be the worst defense in the league.

Dont see how it's agenda driven. Just pointing out the defense wont suddenly be a total disaster if Rex were to  be let go. There are plenty of other good defenses in the league succeeding without Rex(Buffalo). 

Your post insinuated that Rex needs an all-star team in order to succeed and that Pettine was doing more with a lot les, thus if Rex can't even coach defense, what's his value as a HC. This was inaccurate. That's all I was pointing out.

Your post insinuated that Rex needs an all-star team in order to succeed and that Pettine was doing more with a lot les, thus if Rex can't even coach defense, what's his value as a HC. This was inaccurate. That's all I was pointing out.

My insinuation was never Pettine was doing more with less. Just throwing it out there that 1. Pettine might have been more valuable than we thought to this defense and 2. Mike Pettine isn't Buffalo's head coach, so their responsibilities are entirely different.

In facebook land, it would seem that being a real fan equates to having your default photo being of you with duckface and a Jets hat.  Those who do not, secret Pats fans!

I hate the whole I am a real fan thing.  I mean I have only missed 3 home games since 1988.  And I put the PSL charges on my credit card when I was near bankruptcy.  But that doesn't make me any bigger of a fan haha.

do you think that the Holmes, Sanchez, and Harris extensions were solely the work of Tannenbaum or did Rex give his blessing?    What role do you think Rex played in the decision to double down with Sanchez/Holmes?   Those 2 albatross contracts are the primary reasons there isn't talent on offense.   

I'd have to double check with NYJetsCap but if I had to guess  I would say that this team has more cap $$ committed to offense than defense.  

I think when the Jets let go of Tannenbaum - but not Rex they sort of answered that question? If it was only Rex, they should have let him go last year.

I have heard many people insinuate this exact thing.

It's insanity.

Rex is a good DC, not great.

He is an assclown as a HC.

Show me one non-sarcastic quote from anyone on here stating that losing Rex would result in our defense suddenly bottoming out to worst in the league and I'll owe you a mea culpa.  

I hate the whole I am a real fan thing.  I mean I have only missed 3 home games since 1988.  And I put the PSL charges on my credit card when I was near bankruptcy.  But that doesn't make me any bigger of a fan haha.

I really don't get what the goal is... I mean, am I supposed to feel bad that someone likes the Jets more than me?

My insinuation was never Pettine was doing more with less. Just throwing it out there that 1. Pettine might have been more valuable than we thought to this defense and 2. Mike Pettine isn't Buffalo's head coach, so their responsibilities are entirely different.

You specifically compared the Jet's defense to Buffalo and insinuated that since Rex is only doing mediocre with a handful of first rounders that he is worthless as a head coach unless you give him an all-star team to work with, especially if someone like Pettine is doing a better job with Buffalo's defense. I then pointed out Pettine has one side of his defense playing exceptionally well, much like ours, but using a plethora of first and second round picks to do so. So unless Mike was going to bring Byrd, Gilmore, McKelvin and Williams with him, I don't see how he'd be getting this secondary to play that much better.  I think Rex has done a great job with the team this year and don't think any other coach would be doing any better. I am confident in that as I've seen how pathetic the Texans, Jags, Browns, Raiders and Rodgersless Packers have looked without solid QB play and since we've been getting, according to JN, the worst QB play in our franchise's history (which I don't believe), the fact that we've surpassed all of them should say a lot about our coach.  I don't want him gone, but I'd understand if he left at this point, but I still don't think anyone does better than he did this year or last year and would like to see what he can do with a hopefully improved Geno and a definitely improved offense.

You specifically compared the Jet's defense to Buffalo and insinuated that since Rex is only doing mediocre with a handful of first rounders that he is worthless as a head coach unless you give him an all-star team to work with, especially if someone like Pettine is doing a better job with Buffalo's defense. I then pointed out Pettine has one side of his defense playing exceptionally well, much like ours, but using a plethora of first and second round picks to do so. So unless Mike was going to bring Byrd, Gilmore, McKelvin and Williams with him, I don't see how he'd be getting this secondary to play that much better.  I think Rex has done a great job with the team this year and don't think any other coach would be doing any better. I am confident in that as I've seen how pathetic the Texans, Jags, Browns, Raiders and Rodgersless Packers have looked without solid QB play and since we've been getting, according to JN, the worst QB play in our franchise's history (which I don't believe), the fact that we've surpassed all of them should say a lot about our coach.  I don't want him gone, but I'd understand if he left at this point, but I still don't think anyone does better than he did this year or last year and would like to see what he can do with a hopefully improved Geno and a definitely improved offense.

Our expectations from what we expect out of a head coach are entirely different, Agree to disagree here.

And Rex, a defense-first guy in an offense-first league, is the guy you want to continue to mold this team?

More than some no name OC, who comes from an already good team, who we have no idea about when it comes to other qualities of his.

The Darrell Bevell crowd is insufferable, the man has never fielded a top 10 NFL offense in his life and he somehow has a fan club because he coaches for Seattle. Unbelievable.

More than some no name OC, who comes from an already good team, who we have no idea about when it comes to other qualities of his.

The Darrell Bevell crowd is insufferable, the man has never fielded a top 10 NFL offense in his life and he somehow has a fan club because he coaches for Seattle. Unbelievable.

Did I mention Darrell Bevell in my post?  Sheesh.

Archived