Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

More than some no name OC, who comes from an already good team, who we have no idea about when it comes to other qualities of his.

The Darrell Bevell crowd is insufferable, the man has never fielded a top 10 NFL offense in his life and he somehow has a fan club because he coaches for Seattle. Unbelievable.

There is no "Darrell Bevell Fan Club." It's assumed he's a prime candidate because of the Idzik connection. You're not firing Rex because you're in love with Replacement Coach X. You fire Rex because you think Rex stinks.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Rex, a defense-first guy in an offense-first league, is the guy you want to continue to mold this team?

I just don't see what any other coach is going to do differently here. I've pointed it out in countless threads, but just go look at every team with a rookie or sophomore QB and you'll see that they're top 5 in rushing attempts and bottom 5 in passing attempts (andrew luck being the only exception). Unless Geno takes a giant leap forward or we draft a stud QB where things just click, you're going to see a whole lot of running the ball and throwing it even less: Seattle with Russell Wilson, San Fran with Kaepernick and us during Mark's first two years are the perfect examples. Really the major difference between their successes and ours were not magic play-calling by Bevelle or Greg Roman, but better QB play from Wilson and Kaep as compared to Mark.

There is no "Darrell Bevell Fan Club." It's assumed he's a prime candidate because of the Idzik connection. You're not firing Rex because you're in love with Replacement Coach X. You fire Rex because you think Rex stinks.

No, you are firing Rex because you think replacement coach X is better. Firing Rex without thinking you can replace him with someone who can do a better job is asinine. 

I just don't see what any other coach is going to do differently here. I've pointed it out in countless threads, but just go look at every team with a rookie or sophomore QB and you'll see that they're top 5 in rushing attempts and bottom 5 in passing attempts (andrew luck being the only exception). Unless Geno takes a giant leap forward or we draft a stud QB where things just click, you're going to see a whole lot of running the ball and throwing it even less: Seattle with Russell Wilson, San Fran with Kaepernick and us during Mark's first two years are the perfect examples. Really the major difference between their successes and ours were not magic play-calling by Bevelle or Greg Roman, but better QB play from Wilson and Kaep as compared to Mark.

Well we need a coach in here who would have the balls to cut ties with a Mark Sanchez a lot quicker.  A coach that wouldn't be stupid enough to sign on to handing a contract extension to the worst QB in the NFL, one that made him the 7th highest paid QB in 2012.  

Throwing up our hands and saying "Well no other coach would have done better!" is a loser mentality.  There are better coaches in the league than Rex Ryan, and there are better coaches out there to be hired.  Let's get one of them and get to work on finding a real QB.

Well we need a coach in here who would have the balls to cut ties with a Mark Sanchez a lot quicker.  A coach that wouldn't be stupid enough to sign on to handing a contract extension to the worst QB in the NFL, one that made him the 7th highest paid QB in 2012.  

Throwing up our hands and saying "Well no other coach would have done better!" is a loser mentality.  There are better coaches in the league than Rex Ryan, and there are better coaches out there to be hired.  Let's get one of them and get to work on finding a real QB.

Who was he supposed to cut ties with him for? Oh yea Greg McElroy, and Tim Tebow, the same guy's who never got a phone call after the Jets cut them!

Who was he supposed to cut ties with him for? Oh yea Greg McElroy, and Tim Tebow, the same guy's who never got a phone call after the Jets cut them!

After the disastrous end to the 2011 season, Rex Ryan agreed with Mike Tannenbaum that Sanchez deserved a contract extension.  He could have easily demanded at that time that we bring in a new QB.  Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for the Jets to take Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft.  Rex is a huge reason why we were unable to get a real QB in here.  He and Tannenbaum were BOTH culpable for Sanchez being here so long.  They both doubled down on Sanchez rather than bringing in any legitimate competition.

That, more than anything, is the # 1 reason why Rex deserves to be fired.  Had we cut our losses with Sanchez after 2011, maybe we're in a much better situation than we are now.

If you think Rex Ryan wasn't the one SCREAMING at Woody, and Tanny to go get him Peyton Manning your foolish, so to say Rex is the one to NOT cut ties with Sanchez is foolish, after they swung, and missed on Peyton they had no choice, but to go with Sanchez, but Tanny made the choice to extend him, and make him impossible to cut, not Rex!

After the disastrous end to the 2011 season, Rex Ryan agreed with Mike Tannenbaum that Sanchez deserved a contract extension.  He could have easily demanded at that time that we bring in a new QB.  Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for the Jets to take Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft.  Rex is a huge reason why we were unable to get a real QB in here.  He and Tannenbaum were BOTH culpable for Sanchez being here so long.  They both doubled down on Sanchez rather than bringing in any legitimate competition.

That, more than anything, is the # 1 reason why Rex deserves to be fired.  Had we cut our losses with Sanchez after 2011, maybe we're in a much better situation than we are now.

See my post below yours!

If you think Rex Ryan wasn't the one SCREAMING at Woody, and Tanny to go get him Peyton Manning your foolish, so to say Rex is the one to NOT cut ties with Sanchez is foolish, after they swung, and missed on Peyton they had no choice, but to go with Sanchez, but Tanny made the choice to extend him, and make him impossible to cut, not Rex!

If Rex truly thought Sanchez was a horrible QB there's no way he supports that extension.  And if Tannenbaum made that decision on his own, Rex still had more than enough of a voice to demand a real competition.  

No, the likely truth of the matter is that Rex still felt Sanchez was capable of being "the guy".  He was dead wrong.  It got his boss fired, and it's going to get him fired.  Tough sh**.

As bad as Sanchez was in 2011 he came off of 2 AFCCG appearances, and a 3rd season where he broke almost every Jets QB record statistically, and never had a losing season, in hindsight it would have been great if the Jets found a better QB, and let Sanchez walk, but at the time they did try for Peyton, and thought Sanchez was an adequate backup plan, they were wrong, but Tanny gave the extension, and got fired, Rex kept his job.

As bad as Sanchez was in 2011 he came off of 2 AFCCG appearances, and a 3rd season where he broke almost every Jets QB record statistically, and never had a losing season, in hindsight it would have been great if the Jets found a better QB, and let Sanchez walk, but at the time they did try for Peyton, and thought Sanchez was an adequate backup plan, they were wrong, but Tanny gave the extension, and got fired, Rex kept his job.

Tim Tebow "led" the Broncos to a playoff victory, yet the Broncos recognized (as did everyone) that he was garbage.  They cut ties immediately.  That's what smart organizations do.  

If Rex truly thought Sanchez was a horrible QB there's no way he supports that extension.  And if Tannenbaum made that decision on his own, Rex still had more than enough of a voice to demand a real competition.  

No, the likely truth of the matter is that Rex still felt Sanchez was capable of being "the guy".  He was dead wrong.  It got his boss fired, and it's going to get him fired.  Tough sh**.

I most have missed the press conference announcing Rex Ryan was also the Jets GM, and Cap consultant staring in 2011, do yo really believe this stuff?

I most have missed the press conference announcing Rex Ryan was also the Jets GM, and Cap consultant staring in 2011, do yo really believe this stuff?

Rex wanted Santonio Holmes.  He got Santonio Holmes.  Rex wanted LaDainian Tomlinson.  He got LT.  If you think Rex didn't have Tannenbaum's ear on the roster decisions, you're fooling yourself.  He's very culpable for the mess we're in.

Tim Tebow "led" the Broncos to a playoff victory, yet the Broncos recognized (as did everyone) that he was garbage.  They cut ties immediately.  That's what smart organizations do.

That's what GM's who didn't draft/sign, or trade for said QB, and had zero ties to him do. Tanny on the other hand knew Sanchez held his job in his hands, and therefore went for it with Sanchez. You guys all sit here and talk out both sides of your mouth, when it convenient for your argument, it's either Rex knows nothing about offense doesn't care, or pay attention to it, or when you need to blame Rex for the GM's mistakes all of a sudden Rex is the man who picked the QB, and designed the contract extension! Pick one, and leave the other alone.

Rex wanted Santonio Holmes.  He got Santonio Holmes.  Rex wanted LaDainian Tomlinson.  He got LT.  If you think Rex didn't have Tannenbaum's ear on the roster decisions, you're fooling yourself.  He's very culpable for the mess we're in.

That's on Tanny, if he is the fool who blindly listens this explains why he lost his job, both of those players worked out great by the way, until Tanny also gave Holmes a stupid contract, and LT was extremely valuable to the 2010 success like Holmes!

That's what GM's who didn't draft/sign, or trade for said QB, and had zero ties to him do. Tanny on the other hand knew Sanchez held his job in his hands, and therefore went for it with Sanchez. You guys all sit here and talk out both sides of your mouth, when it convenient for your argument, it's either Rex knows nothing about offense doesn't care, or pay attention to it, or when you need to blame Rex for the GM's mistakes all of a sudden Rex is the man who picked the QB, and designed the contract extension! Pick one, and leave the other alone.

If Rex knows nothing about offense, how does that help us in an offense-driven league?

If Rex had a major influence on Tannenbaum's decision making, and thus was a big reason for the Sanchez mess, why do you want him running your team?

In neither of your hypothetical situations does Rex come out looking good.  The bottom line is really this:  6-10, 8-8, 7-8.  23-26 his last 3 seasons.  Simply not good enough.  

If Rex knows nothing about offense, how does that help us in an offense-driven league?

If Rex had a major influence on Tannenbaum's decision making, and thus was a big reason for the Sanchez mess, why do you want him running your team?

In neither of your hypothetical situations does Rex come out looking good.  The bottom line is really this:  6-10, 8-8, 7-8.  23-26 his last 3 seasons.  Simply not good enough.

I want Rex Ryan coaching, and an Ozzie Newsome type GM handing him his players, a perfect relationship let the GM do what he gets paid to do, and let the HC do what he gets paid to do, I never said Rex is the best HC in the league, he has his faults, and is still learning, but he has already had 5 years of bumps, and bruises, and I'm going to be real ******* pissed when some other franchise cashes in on that experience coming together with an adequate roster!

I'm done I have zero say if Rex stays, or not, and won't stop routing for the Jets if he is, but I think it will turn out to be a mistake, or if the Jets hit on their next HC a win win for whoever gets Rex, and the Jets for getting another good HC right after Rex.

No, you are firing Rex because you think replacement coach X is better. Firing Rex without thinking you can replace him with someone who can do a better job is asinine. 

And this is the problem I have with people calling for Rex's head. Who's out their right now that's better then him? David Shaw? Pipe dream he isn't coming out. Lovie? Rex is better. Bevell? Kill yourself. Whisenhunt? He did a wonderful job on the Cardinals huh? Case in point, their's not much out their so your hoping on some hot shot college coach to be the next Harbaugh. Problem is, all the hot shots have signed long term extensions, so good luck with that, not to mention the fact that their college coaches so your basically gambling. 

I want Rex Ryan coaching, and an Ozzie Newsome type GM handing him his players, a perfect relationship let the GM do what he gets paid to do, and let the HC do what he gets paid to do, I never said Rex is the best HC in the league, he has his faults, and is still learning, but he has already had 5 years of bumps, and bruises, and I'm going to be real ******* pissed when some other franchise cashes in on that experience coming together with an adequate roster!

I'm done I have zero say if Rex stays, or not, and won't stop routing for the Jets if he is, but I think it will turn out to be a mistake, or if the Jets hit on their next HC a win win for whoever gets Rex, and the Jets for getting another good HC right after Rex.

My timeline may be off, but didn't an Ozzie Newsome "type" GM already decide he didn't want Rex coaching his team?

Two 1st round picks on the defensive side of the ball, Landry, Reed... what do you think?

I think Idzik went BAP, and was smart enough to fit the only safety who fit the system cheap enough to come here, and Reed was a product of giving a beat up secondary a spark when the playoffs where still in sight, and did zero harm to the team.

And this is the problem I have with people calling for Rex's head. Who's out their right now that's better then him? David Shaw? Pipe dream he isn't coming out. Lovie? Rex is better. Bevell? Kill yourself. Whisenhunt? He did a wonderful job on the Cardinals huh? Case in point, their's not much out their so your hoping on some hot shot college coach to be the next Harbaugh. Problem is, all the hot shots have signed long term extensions, so good luck with that, not to mention the fact that their college coaches so your basically gambling.

You're gambling whether you hire Darrell Bevell or Bill Parcells. This is why you don't go into the process with the intent of swapping coaches. It's a two-stage scenario: Stage One--determine you no longer wish to move forward with Rex as your head coach and fire him. Stage Two--Find new coach. For anyone out there to say "Coach X sucks prolly" is stupid, because you have no clue if it's true. You're guessing.

And Rex, a defense-first guy in an offense-first league, is the guy you want to continue to mold this team?

Yes.  

I have watched the Jets change time and time again.  Everyone always swears the grass is greener.  Each change brings more excuses.  

We live in a now society and everyone certainly wants the Jets to win it all now.  But here is the deal, Rex is a pretty good coach.  He has zero offensive talent.  That is on the GM.  Keep the OC.  Keep the head coach.  Don't change anything except the names of the wide receivers on the roster and maybe the QBs.

Well this the wrong way to run an NFL team, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that this is what the perpetual losers of the league do, they make constant panic changes in the front office, there's no consistency, they don't plan things out long term, they don't invest themselves in the people they hire, and so it shouldn't be a surprise that they never contend. Look at some of the league's worst teams over the past decade, they're also teams that have had among the most head coaching changes whether from firings or other reasons; it isn't a coincidence. Since 2000, Buffalo has had 6 head coaches, Cleveland has had 6, Oakland 8, Detroit 5 (soon to be 6?), Dolphins 5, Chiefs 6 (Maybe they'll learn this time and stick with Reid for a while), Redskins 6 (soon to be 7?). All of these teams have been known more for their losing than their winning since 2000, and I think a lot of it has to do with the constant turnover. 

Having a lot of turnover like this is not good for your organization, it's better to stick with one middle of the road coach for a long period of time until you find someone you think will be better, than to be constantly kicking the tires hiring and firing coaches every 1, 2 or 3 years in the same time frame. In the first scenario, you at least have some coherency and consistency, and if a coach is then hired to replace that other coach the new hire is at least free from the trouble of dealing with players that were drafted to fit the gameplans of a coach from two or three regimes ago, working with coaching staff members who have lingered on from previous regimes, and front office people who have done the same.

This is one of the reasons why even after Belichick and Brady are gone, the Patriots will still probably be a very good team going forward, everything they have done is part of a plan, consistent, and they don't have to deal with all of the chaos of organizations whose rosters have been ruined by different regimes that each have had different views on how to build a team, leaving their rosters looking like a patchwork mess. They'll have a network of coaches to continue running the team, and the same goes for the front office people.

Want Rex fired now? You might find out you'll want the next guy fired in a season or two. Think of where the Steelers would be if they had enough of Cowher falling short and fired him before he won the SB in his 14th season their, or think of where the Giants would be if they caved in to fan pressure and fired Coughlin before the 2007 season. Or imagine where the Browns would be if they stuck with Belichick. I'm not saying Rex is these guys, but I think we've seen the worst the worst of Rex Ryan, and his worst is an above .500 record. Now Imagine if he actually had average QB play let alone good or great QB play.

Rex is a miracle worker! Mort said so!

Mort said that?  I may have to reconsider my position...

This is one of the reasons why even after Belichick and Brady are gone, the Patriots will still probably be a very good team going forward, everything they have done is part of a plan, consistent, and they don't have to deal with all of the chaos of organizations whose rosters have been ruined by different regimes that each have had different views on how to build a team, leaving their rosters looking like a patchwork mess. They'll have a network of coaches to continue running the team, and the same goes for the front office people.

I don't disagree with everything you say, but... how have the Pats network of coaches actually performed without Brady?  

What?

If it confused you, I'll clarify.

It's better to keep your current coach (who isn't amazing, but isn't terrible) and wait for someone to come along who you think is better, than just firing your coach because he currently isn't as good as you want him to be, with no better alternative in mind.

EDIT: I'll add this; look at the Bears, they fired their coach who fits the above mold, Lovie Smith, and now the team is worse under Trestman. They were 10-6 last year with the 5th ranked defense, now they are near the bottom of the league in defense and are poised to go 8-8. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar results for the Jets in 2014 if Rex is fired. Think of all of the defensive drafting we've done going to waste being managed by a new head coach who just isn't up to the task of managing the defense. Of course you could say the same about Rex when it comes to the offense, but then again we've hardly drafted offensive talent often and high in the draft under Rex, and I don't put that on Rex, he was on record saying that Tannenbaum allowed him only one pick of his own (implies the rest were Tanny's)  in the draft's later rounds, and we know for a fact that one of them was an offensive player in Conner.

Mort said that?  I may have to reconsider my position...

I don't disagree with everything you say, but... how have the Pats network of coaches actually performed without Brady?  

Well I'm not talking about individual coaches leaving, I'm talking about their entire staff. If Belichick had health issues and took a year off, I don't think we'd see that big of a drop off for them. And if the Patriots find even just a good QB after Brady, and a competent successor to Belichick, I expect them to be a playoff contender still just from the trajectory that whole organization has been on.

Don't Fire Rex Ryan he coached this team to a really unexpected 7 wins with no wide receivers to throw to. A rookie quarterback.

Give Rex Ryan 1 more season with quality receivers and a 2nd yr Geno Smith and quarterback and this team could do very well.

The players appreciate Rex Ryan as the coach and that's why he should be the coach for 1 season longer. 41-38 coaching record overall is enough proof. I think 8-8 definitely gets Rex Ryan another chance at Coaching the Jets.

Archived