Rex tells team he's going to be fired(?)

Favorite_Toon

Speaking strictly of Rex as a HC I say fire him. Even if the team finishes 8-8 can his a$$. I say this because where was this effort when the Jets were 5-4 and coming off a bye? Buffalo spanked them, then the Dolphins and Jets effort was nowhere to be found. Now - all of a sudden - with Rex twisting in the wind they decide to play smart, good football. Too little, too late I say. Rex has never been able to motivate this team when they decide their own fate. When the media gets on the bandwagon and labels the Jets 'playoff contenders' they lay down like dogs. So much for Rex's so-called GREAT motivational ability. In 2011 the Jets were 8-5 and lost their last three games with Holmes and Hunter fighting in the huddle. Now I know Santonio Holmes is no team guy, just the opposite, but he was Rex's guy. He kept Holmes and cut Braylon Edwards, which was a HUGE mistake. Rex has done PLENTY to deserve a pink slip, I just hope it doesn''t retard Smith's progress as a QB.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love it if you were right. I think they should keep Rex and Marty.

But I just don't see Idzik keeping them.

I post a lot of shit for the sake of posting shit.  

This time I am telling you I do believe I am right.  The stadium was loud on Sunday, I didn't look at the attendance but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  The concession lines were long.  That will be part of the decision (unfortuantely).  You know Woody Johnson is looking at a dashboard report right now that shows the financial numbers from the game yesterday.  

It is safer for Idzik to work out a two year extension with Rex that the Jets can still walk away from at any time.  If they get to 8 and 8, Rex will be great.

Here is the thing though and I don't see people talking about this.  Idzik is on the clock when he picks his own coach.  He is making a lot of money to do the job he is doing.  It is in his own best interest to do that job for as many years as possible.  My point is Idzik can ride Rex out for a little while longer and if it doesn't work he fires him in a year or two.  Then Idzik brings in his guy....but a GM only gets to make that decision once.  And if Rex finishes 8 and 8 Idzik better be pretty damn sure he has the right replacement in mind because he will be on the clock.

Idzik is already on the clock-Exactly why Rex will be gone. There is work to do, and the children need to go

Speaking strictly of Rex as a HC I say fire him. Even if the team finishes 8-8 can his a$$. I say this because where was this effort when the Jets were 5-4 and coming off a bye? Buffalo spanked them, then the Dolphins and Jets effort was nowhere to be found. Now - all of a sudden - with Rex twisting in the wind they decide to play smart, good football. Too little, too late I say. Rex has never been able to motivate this team when they decide their own fate. When the media gets on the bandwagon and labels the Jets 'playoff contenders' they lay down like dogs. So much for Rex's so-called GREAT motivational ability. In 2011 the Jets were 8-5 and lost their last three games with Holmes and Hunter fighting in the huddle. Now I know Santonio Holmes is no team guy, just the opposite, but he was Rex's guy. He kept Holmes and cut Braylon Edwards, which was a HUGE mistake. Rex has done PLENTY to deserve a pink slip, I just hope it doesn''t retard Smith's progress as a QB.

Rex did that, I thought Tannenbaum negotiated that contract for Holmes.

Idzik is already on the clock-Exactly why Rex will be gone. There is work to do, and the children need to go

Idzik isn't on the clock yet.  Rex is on the clock.  

Idzik didn't take a QB in round one last year, that would have put him on the clock.

They havent won two games in a row yet. Point differential is better indicative than W-L. There's no way of knowing if this team is pointing up....they've been mediocre to bad pretty much all season.

Yep.  It's nice that we went 6-2 at home and beat the Pats and Saints.  But you can't look at the whole season and say that Rex deserves an extension more than he deserves to be fired.  We lost by 25 to the Titans, 13 at home to the Steelers, 40 to the Bengals, and 23 to the Bills.  Lack of personnel doesn't fully account for those games.

They havent won two games in a row yet. Point differential is better indicative than W-L. There's no way of knowing if this team is pointing up....they've been mediocre to bad pretty much all season.

Point differential is stupid. 

You're lying to yourself if you dont think the Jets have improved and are playing good Football over last 3 weeks.

Yep.  It's nice that we went 6-2 at home and beat the Pats and Saints.  But you can't look at the whole season and say that Rex deserves an extension more than he deserves to be fired.  We lost by 25 to the Titans, 13 at home to the Steelers, 40 to the Bengals, and 23 to the Bills.  Lack of personnel doesn't fully account for those games.

Um they went 7 and 2 at home.  Nice that you leave that out.

(Just kidding - that was terrible that Rex said that).

Rex has done more to stay than he has done to get fired.  It's blatantly obvious to everyone other than Jets fans.

Didnt you see Rex post game ?...we went 9-2 at home this year not 6-2

Idzik isn't on the clock yet.  Rex is on the clock.  

Idzik didn't take a QB in round one last year, that would have put him on the clock.

Of course Idzik is on the clock. This is a business, and no on gets free passes on any year. Idzik has a contract that has a finite number of years on it (I am not sure the number), but he will not get to say "but I had Rex on payroll those first 2 years, that shouldn't count". Doesn't work that way.

Idzik seems to be meticulous in detail and guarded in how he goes about his job. Rex cuts corners in approach and is brash. Those 2 type of personalities do not mesh in the business world.

Of course Idzik is on the clock. This is a business, and no on gets free passes on any year. Idzik has a contract that has a finite number of years on it (I am not sure the number), but he will not get to say "but I had Rex on payroll those first 2 years, that shouldn't count". Doesn't work that way.

Idzik seems to be meticulous in detail and guarded in how he goes about his job. Rex cuts corners in approach and is brash. Those 2 type of personalities do not mesh in the business world.

In the business world you don't employ people who have criminal records; so that analogy doesn't work for me.

How does Rex cut corners?  

Idzik will be fired after Rex.  He gets to pick a coach that coaches for a few years before Idzik gets fired.  So Rex coaching a few more years extends Idzik's life and his financial gain.

John Idzik has a tough decision to make. Fire a HC that is beloved by the owner and risk his own job security with his own HC or keep a guy he may not truly believe in but it would buy him a few years more in the job. He can ALWAYS fire Rex, but he can't tell the future. In my mind Rex Ryan is a half HC at best who is a player's coach who can't lay down the law with underachievers and SHOULD be fired. I have to say at this point it is probably 50/50 in favor of Rex COMING BACK. As much as I dread that notion, it may have farther reaching ramifications in that Geno Smith will have two years of HC and OC and the same offense.

Um they went 7 and 2 at home.  Nice that you leave that out.

(Just kidding - that was terrible that Rex said that).

He actually said 9-2 and he said it with a straight face...I'm 42 and I've never seen a head coach say something so dumb..while on days like yesterday watching teams like the Bears give up 50 I do get concerned about letting Rex go and see the points of the pro-Rex fans....it's hard for me to let stupidity like this go it really is.

Meh. Beat two teams they were supposed to beat and lost a game they were supposed to lose.

This season was never about wins or losses, its about seeing improvement from a young team.  That is exactly what you're seeing over the past few weeks.  Good teams, bad teams, doesnt matter.  They're getting better.  Its pretty obvious.

In the business world you don't employ people who have criminal records; so that analogy doesn't work for me.

How does Rex cut corners?  

Idzik will be fired after Rex.  He gets to pick a coach that coaches for a few years before Idzik gets fired.  So Rex coaching a few more years extends Idzik's life and his financial gain.

Wasn't Shane on your payroll at one time???

Focuses on details that are only pertinent to him, while ignoring the challenges of the team. Refusing to bench favorite players is a selfish motivation, while it detracts from what is right for the team. It is a lazy practice.

You do not seem to understand contracts and performance. This is not high school football

John Idzik has a tough decision to make. Fire a HC that is beloved by the owner and risk his own job security with his own HC or keep a guy he may not truly believe in but it would buy him a few years more in the job. He can ALWAYS fire Rex, but he can't tell the future. In my mind Rex Ryan is a half HC at best who is a player's coach who can't lay down the law with underachievers and SHOULD be fired. I have to say at this point it is probably 50/50 in favor of Rex COMING BACK. As much as I dread that notion, it may have farther reaching ramifications in that Geno Smith will have two years of HC and OC and the same offense.

Sanchez had 3 years under Rex and Schotty. So much for continuity.

Wasn't Shane on your payroll at one time???

Focuses on details that are only pertinent to him, while ignoring the challenges of the team. Refusing to bench favorite players is a selfish motivation, while it detracts from what is right for the team. It is a lazy practice.

You do not seem to understand contracts and performance. This is not high school football

You make assumptions that Rex is ignoring challenges.  He might be wrong but he could just have a different assessment of the challenges.  And nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors.  So these are pretty big assumptions that you make.  Rex has benched Geno Smith and Dee Milliner this year.  In past years Rex didn't do things like that.  So this shows that Rex has grown as a coach.

I run an organization in real life that has a client renewal rate that is so far above industry averages it is amazing .  That means that I know a little bit about contracts and how they are related to performance.  But hey the Jets should fire Rex because you say so.

This season was never about wins or losses, its about seeing improvement from a young team.  That is exactly what you're seeing over the past few weeks.  Good teams, bad teams, doesnt matter.  They're getting better.  Its pretty obvious.

Everyone said that in the beginning, this was about getting better.  They are getting better and although they have a ton of issues to work out it isn't clear cut that a complete change in direction is needed.  

You make assumptions that Rex is ignoring challenges.  He might be wrong but he could just have a different assessment of the challenges.  And nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors.  So these are pretty big assumptions that you make.  Rex has benched Geno Smith and Dee Milliner this year.  In past years Rex didn't do things like that.  So this shows that Rex has grown as a coach.

I run an organization in real life that has a client renewal rate that is so far above industry averages it is amazing .  That means that I know a little bit about contracts and how they are related to performance.  But hey the Jets should fire Rex because you say so.

Or the Jets should retain Rex because you say so.

Congrats on the retention.

Meh. Beat two teams they were supposed to beat and lost a game they were supposed to lose.

oh now we're a team that's "supposed" to beat other teams?  Haven't you called this the worst collection of offensive talent in the league..  and it's not close?

He actually said 9-2 and he said it with a straight face...I'm 42 and I've never seen a head coach say something so dumb..while on days like yesterday watching teams like the Bears give up 50 I do get concerned about letting Rex go and see the points of the pro-Rex fans....it's hard for me to let stupidity like this go it really is.

I am not disagreeing with you, it was a stupid thing to say.

Or the Jets should retain Rex because you say so.

Congrats on the retention.

I laid out my case that I think the Jets are getting better.  You took personal shots at me about high school football and said I don't understand contracts.  So I don't take the arrogant stance that I am right.

I didn't want Rex hired, I had a lot of concerns about him.  At this time, I think they should stay with him.  You have disliked him for awhile and your posting history reflects that.

My insinuation was never Pettine was doing more with less. Just throwing it out there that 1. Pettine might have been more valuable than we thought to this defense and 2. Mike Pettine isn't Buffalo's head coach, so their responsibilities are entirely different.

Yet, despite the great value that Pettine brings to Buffalo, the Jets still have a better record  

I laid out my case that I think the Jets are getting better.  You took personal shots at me about high school football and said I don't understand contracts.  So I don't take the arrogant stance that I am right.

I didn't want Rex hired, I had a lot of concerns about him.  At this time, I think they should stay with him.  You have disliked him for awhile and your posting history reflects that.

Actually, it was in the past 14 months that I have not liked Rex. That is what my posting history reflects.

I didn't realize that you were a high school coach that had a contract, so i did not realize it was personal. My apologies (though I still say that HS football is different than Pro).

Actually, it was in the past 14 months that I have not liked Rex. That is what my posting history reflects.

I didn't realize that you were a high school coach that had a contract, so i did not realize it was personal. My apologies (though I still say that HS football is different than Pro).

Apology accepted. 

Archived