Anyone else tired of Rex and the Jets taking Bows

NCJETSFAN

Why does it seem that Rex the players and the Jets organization always feel a need to tell everyone how good there team is and how great there draft picks are etc. Most teams that don't make the playoffs are embarrassed and don't call attention to themselves . But Rex and the jets after beating a 4 -11 team act like they won a Super Bowl .

I read an article this morning by Steve Serby, who "pounded the table" for Woody to keep Rex and used quotes from David Garrard to emphasize his point. Garrard said that the players love Rex like a father and that he is their best friend. THAT is part of the problem, of course. Rex is running a football team - a professional football team - and you can't be buddy-buddy with the players. That's why guys who don't make plays are always out on the field when many of wonder why he is still on the TEAM. Because Rex can't part with any of his little buddies. Stay the course Idzik and can this half coach.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article this morning by Steve Serby, who "pounded the table" for Woody to keep Rex and used quotes from David Garrard to emphasize his point. Garrard said that the players love Rex like a father and that he is their best friend. THAT is part of the problem, of course. Rex is running a football team - a professional football team - and you can't be buddy-buddy with the players. That's why guys who don't make plays are always out on the field when many of wonder why he is still on the TEAM. Because Rex can't part with any of his little buddies. Stay the course Idzik and can this half coach.

Well if this is the case than Woody and Idzik have absolutely no choice, they have to bring him back. There is no way we can risk losing David Garrard for next season.

Guys, this is all a completely moot point. Rex will be back next year, the only question at this point is whether he gets an extension or is playing out the last year of his contract as one more evaluation year.

I know for a fact that Woody bases many of his decisions based on PR, and the Jets are very much aware of what their fanbase feels. One of the reasons Mangini was fired was the fanbase hated him. Rex will stay because the majority of the fanbase loves him.

Mangini was fired after having 2 of 3 winning seasons mostly because of the PR.

Rex will be kept next year for the exact same reason, PR.

Every win under Wrecks is a basis for a Thanksgiving day parade degree of self-celebration. Which is why if they do not win Sunday they will have an unbroken string of 35 games dating back to 2011 failing to win back to back games. That's a lack of focus on the task at hand and that has to be on the 12th-ranked defense against the run or some such crap.

In typical, "look at me" fashion Rex decided to take a 'victory lap' or perhaps it was just sentimentality since he is soon to be unemployed and he was saying farewell to the few fans he has left outside of this forum who wrongly thinks that he is actually a good HC.

Well if this is the case than Woody and Idzik have absolutely no choice, they have to bring him back. There is no way we can risk losing David Garrard for next season.

Guys, this is all a completely moot point. Rex will be back next year, the only question at this point is whether he gets an extension or is playing out the last year of his contract as one more evaluation year.

I know for a fact that Woody bases many of his decisions based on PR, and the Jets are very much aware of what their fanbase feels. One of the reasons Mangini was fired was the fanbase hated him. Rex will stay because the majority of the fanbase loves him.

Mangini was fired after having 2 of 3 winning seasons mostly because of the PR.

Rex will be kept next year for the exact same reason, PR.

The majority of the fan base HERE likes Rex. That is definitely NOT so on many others. Rex is mediocre at best and so are the Jets. The fact that they suddenly remembered how to play tough, smart, football against the Browns does NOT inspire me that much. Even if they beat Miami and finish 8-8, I think Rex should be canned. He is simply not a HC that will get the Jets to the SB, and I don't want to waste yet another year trying to prove that. Keeping Rex will just delay the inevitable.

The majority of the fan base HERE likes Rex. That is definitely NOT so on many others. Rex is mediocre at best and so are the Jets. The fact that they suddenly remembered how to play tough, smart, football against the Browns does NOT inspire me that much. Even if they beat Miami and finish 8-8, I think Rex should be canned. He is simply not a HC that will get the Jets to the SB, and I don't want to waste yet another year trying to prove that. Keeping Rex will just delay the inevitable.

Actually it's much worse on other forums. This one is the only one where it is even close. I know with 100% conviction that the right move is to move on from Rex. I also know with 97% conviction that Rex will be back next year.

In typical, "look at me" fashion Rex decided to take a 'victory lap' or perhaps it was just sentimentality since he is soon to be unemployed and he was saying farewell to the few fans he has left outside of this forum who wrongly thinks that he is actually a good HC.

Idzik and his Richie Rich boss might want to consider that a good chunk of those Wrecks fans, upward of 30,000 from ny chair on the couch rather than there, came to MetLife Sheetbox disguised as empty seats. What the Jets do, especially on offense, is a ridiculously inferior product. It has been the entire tenure of Wrecks. How is this not THE consideration? He has done NOTHING AT ALL to improve this in 5 years. Wrecks' whole MO is to with a decent running game and good defense win 13-7.Passing the ball, rules be damned, not important. Welcome to the NFL-in 1965. Wrecks Ryan remains a beeper salesman in an iphone world.

The lap around the field was a thank you to fans. 

I despise Rex and want him gone yesterday, but I agree with this. I don't think even Rex is stupid enough to over blow a home win against one of the worst teams in the league.

Than again he did brag about home pre-season wins, so who knows.

Why does it seem that Rex the players and the Jets organization always feel a need to tell everyone how good there team is and how great there draft picks are etc. Most teams that don't make the playoffs are embarrassed and don't call attention to themselves . But Rex and the jets after beating a 4 -11 team act like they won a Super Bowl .

Theyre acting like theyre better than the 32nd ranked, 2 win ball club that every sports news team and half of Jetnation thought they were. And they didn't just beat a 4 win team, they beat the saints,  Falcons, and almost swept the Patriots. 

So yeah, I can see what the fuss is about given the lack of talent on this team. Rex had an excellent season, his best one if you ask me. Not based on wins and loses purely but what he accomplished based on what was available to him.

If Idzik fired Red I'd completely understanding, but if he kept Rex it would be well deserved. 

Theyre acting like theyre better than the 32nd ranked, 2 win ball club that every sports news team and half of Jetnation thought they were. And they didn't just beat a 4 win team, they beat the saints, Falcons, and almost swept the Patriots.

So yeah, I can see what the fuss is about given the lack of talent on this team. Rex had an excellent season, his best one if you ask me. Not based on wins and loses purely but what he accomplished based on what was available to him.

If Idzik fired Red I'd completely understanding, but if he kept Rex it would be well deserved.

FYI falcons are a 4 win team also

So what. They were a team that was in the SB conversation while the Jets were in the "4 win or less" conversation. Besides, I also mentioned the Saints and almost sweeping the Patriots....FYI. 

We also almost got swept by the Pats... 

As for the OP, Rex will be Rex. Like it or hate it, they guy is not going to change his entire personality.  

As for the debate of should we keep him: I like the idea of keeping him teamed up with Morningwhig (sp?).  I would make Marty the Assoc. Head Coach and give him nearly complete control of offense (personnel decisions, playcalling, etc).   I would keep Rex on as HC and let him do what he does best with the defense.  Bottom line is this - Rex is not perfect nor is he a complete coach...But the fact that he is a top 5-10 Defensive mind in the league puts him far ahead of most other potential candidates, who are top 5-10 at nothing. Look at our past HC's since Parcells. Can you remember anything that EM/HE/AG did nearly as well as Rex does defense?  Me neither. 

We also almost got swept by the Pats... 

As for the OP, Rex will be Rex. Like it or hate it, they guy is not going to change his entire personality.  

As for the debate of should we keep him: I like the idea of keeping him teamed up with Morningwhig (sp?).  I would make Marty the Assoc. Head Coach and give him nearly complete control of offense (personnel decisions, playcalling, etc).   I would keep Rex on as HC and let him do what he does best with the defense.  Bottom line is this - Rex is not perfect nor is he a complete coach...But the fact that he is a top 5-10 Defensive mind in the league puts him far ahead of most other potential candidates, who are top 5-10 at nothing. Look at our past HC's since Parcells. Can you remember anything that EM/HE/AG did nearly as well as Rex does defense?  Me neither. 

The "we almost got swept by the Pats" comment doesn't mean nearly to that organization as they are pretty much expected to do this with their talent and coaching. That's contrary when speaking about the Jets. Bottomline is the Jets won more games than expected by beating teams that were quite frankly better...on paper. Granted, we got blown out by teams considered on our level, like the Bills, but every team that was projected as being a flat out good team we went toe to toe with. Even that Carolina game was close until we lost it in the 4th.

So all I'm saying is that I recognize the "big deal" behind the jets talk. For a team with such lack of talent offensively, the Jets found a way to win. As A side note, if Nick Folk isn't an all pro kicker this year then the all pro system is just stupid. Can a kicker even be an all pro? Lol

Idzik and his Richie Rich boss might want to consider that a good chunk of those Wrecks fans, upward of 30,000 from ny chair on the couch rather than there, came to MetLife Sheetbox disguised as empty seats. What the Jets do, especially on offense, is a ridiculously inferior product. It has been the entire tenure of Wrecks. How is this not THE consideration? He has done NOTHING AT ALL to improve this in 5 years. Wrecks' whole MO is to with a decent running game and good defense win 13-7.Passing the ball, rules be damned, not important. Welcome to the NFL-in 1965. Wrecks Ryan remains a beeper salesman in an iphone world.

people forget that Rex told Schotty to open up the offense in 2011 and the Jets actually finished 11th in offense. The team was an abortion cause of all the turnovers. You can't open up the offense without the QB. On a positive note it looks like Geno is a changed player the last couple weeks and they are starting to open it up. 

people forget that Rex told Schotty to open up the offense in 2011 and the Jets actually finished 11th in offense. The team was an abortion cause of all the turnovers. You can't open up the offense without the QB. On a positive note it looks like Geno is a changed player the last couple weeks and they are starting to open it up.

They also let the OLine slip, and replaced Braylon and Cotch with Burress and mason. Rex waaaay overestimate what Sanchez was capable.

All of this was to try to build the 1985 Bears defense by going after Asomgua, which they lucked out that he did not come.

They also let the OLine slip, and replaced Braylon and Cotch with Burress and mason. Rex waaaay overestimate what Sanchez was capable.

All of this was to try to build the 1985 Bears defense by going after Asomgua, which they lucked out that he did not come.

OL, WR changes, they already fired that guy.  but they still ended up 11th in offense. This idea that Rex can't coach a team with a productive offense is not true. What Rex can't do is turn Sanchez/Geno into Peyton Manning. And guess what Darrell Bevel can't do it either. 

OL, WR changes, they already fired that guy.  but they still ended up 11th in offense. This idea that Rex can't coach a team with a productive offense is not true. What Rex can't do is turn Sanchez/Geno into Peyton Manning. And guess what Darrell Bevel can't do it either. 

Yeah, but i'll bet , that it wont take Bevell (or any other coach we have) 4 friggin years (and possibly 5 if he didnt get blasted behind a bunch of 4 stringers), that Sanchez is about the worst starting QB in the NFL and close to the worst in history.

Was REX watching that horror show? It took him at least 4 years to recognize what any REAL Head coach would have recognized in about 12-18 games, That he is HORRIBLE.

Just out of curiosity, if we keep REX, It isnt going to take him 4 years to realize GENO sucks, Is it?

Seriously?  This is worth discussing?  I once attended the Colorado Rockies' final home game at Coors field when I was stationed in Colorado.  They were a terrible team.  They won nothing, but after the game, they walked a lap along the stands and thanked the fans.  Sometimes professional sports teams do that.  Christ.

It seems many Jet fans seem to have the finger on the pulse of what is happening in every moribund city throughout the country. They know exactly what level of celebrating and positivity happens every time a crappy franchise wins, so much so that they can compare Rex to each and every one of them with certainty.

Seriously.  Are people just looking for things to complain about or what?  

Seriously?  This is worth discussing?  I once attended the Colorado Rockies' final home game at Coors field when I was stationed in Colorado.  They were a terrible team.  They won nothing, but after the game, they walked a lap along the stands and thanked the fans.  Sometimes professional sports teams do that.  Christ.

With Rex you never know.

He loves patting himself on the back telling everyone how good he is.

With Rex you never know.

He loves patting himself on the back telling everyone how good he is.

Meh, Rex has never struck me as an egomaniac.  He's supremely confident in himself, probably to an irrational degree, but he's not what you make him out to be.  The victory lap doesn't really bother me, and this 4-page thread is largely useless.

I'm against Rex coming back next year, but sheesh, people need to just stick to the many other reasons why.  "Not winning enough football games" is mine.

Meh, Rex has never struck me as an egomaniac.  He's supremely confident in himself, probably to an irrational degree, but he's not what you make him out to be.  The victory lap doesn't really bother me, and this 4-page thread is largely useless.

I'm against Rex coming back next year, but sheesh, people need to just stick to the many other reasons why.  "Not winning enough football games" is mine.

Rex is the biggest look at me blowhard in the NFL.

I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football,” Ryan said Friday after the team’s first training-camp practice, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  “That’s saying something because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good.  Bill Belichick is pretty good.  But that’s the way I’ve always believed.  And you know what? I believe it because [of] the guys I coach with, there’s no doubt about that.  And the guys I’ve coached.  But that’s the truth.  That’s kind of how I feel.”

Rex is the biggest look at me blowhard in the NFL.

It's really astonishing the ego on this guy. Thought EWdwards was a dipsheet always touting his Tamope Cover Who as if they had won a shelf of Lombardis; Edwards as bad as he was doesn't hold a candle to this guy in the ego department((and in fairness Wrecks is a better coach wich is not saying much). But I have never heard LeBeau or Bellicheat or any other coach spend so much time touting his defensive ranking and what a great defense he has. Again with the rules changes simple fact is the best defense is gonna fail once or twice a game. And offense has to score points to keep up, something the Jets offense under HC Wrecks has never really done.

It's really astonishing the ego on this guy. Thought EWdwards was a dipsheet always touting his Tamope Cover Who as if they had won a shelf of Lombardis; Edwards as bad as he was doesn't hold a candle to this guy in the ego department((and in fairness Wrecks is a better coach wich is not saying much). But I have never heard LeBeau or Bellicheat or any other coach spend so much time touting his defensive ranking and what a great defense he has. Again with the rules changes simple fact is the best defense is gonna fail once or twice a game. And offense has to score points to keep up, something the Jets offense under HC Wrecks has never really done.

The last 5 years is proof that Rexlaxs team model is a dinosaur.

No division titles - whipped by Brady who is a better QB. Whipped by a better QB P Manning in the 2009 AFCC. Whipped by A better QB Rothlisberger in the 2010 AFCC.

Just like great pitching can negate hitting in MLB, a great QB can negate defense in the NFL.

The last 5 years is proof that Rexlaxs team model is a dinosaur.

No division titles - whipped by Brady who is a better QB. Whipped by a better QB P Manning in the 2009 AFCC. Whipped by A better QB Rothlisberger in the 2010 AFCC.

Just like great pitching can negate hitting in MLB, a great QB can negate defense in the NFL.

He also came back to beat Peyton and Brady.  He's right when he says he's one of the best defensive minds in the game.  That does not make him a blowhard.  He's never touted himself as a great HC, which he assuredly is not.  This aspect of Rex is the most pointless to rip him for.  There's plenty of other material on him that he'll get fired for without going back to the same boring well.

Archived