Schefter: Signs point to Rex return

T0mShane

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rex has a competent offensive staff in place, just no talent on that side of the ball. It's up to Idzik to get him some more.

The big evaluation is what they all think of Geno. Does he need to be replaced or surrounded?

I think Rex has a competent offensive staff in place, just no talent on that side of the ball. It's up to Idzik to get him some more.

The big evaluation is what they all think of Geno. Does he need to be replaced or surrounded?

1st rd pick on best wr available

2nd rd pick for Cousins. 

rest of draft BAP 

Swear to Christ: if Johnson mentions the term "Twitter poll" as a reason to bring Rex back, I am done with this franchise.

Twitter polls and sports radio are responsible for this, it makes me sick..our team is run by the media it's been tat way since Woody took over, I mean I guess it makes sense....if Rich Cimini, Mehta, and a bafoon clown fraud like Joe Beningo want Rex back it must be the right move.

I'm just going to say this right now. If the Jets try to get cute and extend Rex for one year, it's the surest sign ever that the team is run by Woody Johnson and Woody Johnson alone and, as such, we're all going to die without seeing a Jets Super Bowl. Plan accordingly.

The Giants signed Coughlin to a 1 yr extension before the 2007 season so he wouldn't be a lame duck.

given the choice of firing or extending, it seems rather obv

right ?

I mean, nobody does the lame duck thing, they can't EXTEND him, right ?

right ?

IMO, it sounds like they're going to give him a one-year, take it or leave it offer. It will placate anyone who thinks they want Rex back, but it might get Rex to walk. The big story is that most of the assistants aren't under contract after this year, so they have to move quick regardless of what Rex does.

IMO, it sounds like they're going to give him a one-year, take it or leave it offer. It will placate anyone who thinks they want Rex back, but it might get Rex to walk. The big story is that most of the assistants aren't under contract after this year, so they have to move quick regardless of what Rex does.

ahhh the old insulting offer trick

imagine he takes it ?

lolcopter

didn't his dad "get fired for winning" ?

family trait I hope

The 1 yr extension is the only logical deal to offer. One columnist had a good point--firing Rex after this season would have meant 2013 was just a sham and Rex had no realistic chance of saving his job.

I dont think Idzik wants to give the appearance that he set up sham situation because it may negatively affect the hiring process for a new HC. The Jets are pure crap on offense and not a good job at the moment to attract hot coaching candidates.

Also, there is the possibility that Idzik put out fealers to HC candidates (per Rex report) but candidates had only a luke warm interesr.

Like when the Yanks offered Torre a measly $5 mil extension. You let the popular coach fire himself.

exactly

I looked at buddy's wiki page.   .500 coach with controversy, could coach his ass off on defense.    if they extend him, he'll be .500 again next year.  then what ?

do it now !!!!!!!

Like when the Yanks offered Torre a measly $5 mil extension. You let the popular coach fire himself.

I actually think this is a probably scenario. I want Rex to stay - but I could see the Jets low balling Rex and maybe even tying his hands on who is assistants are going to be in order to set him up to walk.

But when did Glazer say that Rex was getting fired?

Back up; 2 different things. Glazer never said that explicitly. He said Wrecks, in his pregame speech to the Jets last Saturday said he had "heard on the street" he was getting fried and used it as a moticational tool in the speech. Glazer never said he had nay source tell him Wrecks was getting fired. And Wrecks is without a doubt full of enough BS to try a ploy like that.

Florio (of all people) brought up the interesting possibility of giving Rex a multi-year extension with language buried in it that gives the team a reduced buyout number if they decide to part ways next season. Such a contract would enable them to get all the assistants under contract for multiple years, too, allowing them to hold onto the rights of guys like Mornhinweg and Dunbar if they do decide to go that way next year.

That would be the pragmatic move. And so far, Idzik seems like a pragmatist.

I actually think this is a probably scenario. I want Rex to stay - but I could see the Jets low balling Rex and maybe even tying his hands on who is assistants are going to be in order to set him up to walk.

Rex is under contract next year. He can simply turn down their extension offer if it's some BS deal like the one in T0m's dreams, and coach out his deal. Or get fired and get paid anyway. He's not quitting. If the Jets fvck with him with this extension, his assistants, etc., they only make themselves look bad, and make the Jets head coaching job even less attractive. The whole scenario is completely implausible.

^Glazer, this week, with Francesa stood by the "word on the street" story, then when asked his opinion on Rex's status said something to the effect that when Woody was asked to his face about Rex, he dodged it with the old "we're going to sit down after the season." Glazer's opinion based on what he was (and wasn't) hearing was that Rex wasn't going to be back.

Florio (of all people) brought up the interesting possibility of giving Rex a multi-year extension with language buried in it that gives the team a reduced buyout number if they decide to part ways next season. Such a contract would enable them to get all the assistants under contract for multiple years, too, allowing them to hold onto the rights of guys like Mornhinweg and Dunbar if they do decide to go that way next year.

That would be the pragmatic move. And so far, Idzik seems like a pragmatist.

Rex is under contract next year. He can simply turn down their extension offer if it's some BS deal like the one in T0m's dreams, and coach out his deal. Or get fired and get paid anyway. He's not quitting. If the Jets fvck with him with this extension, his assistants, etc., they only make themselves look bad, and make the Jets head coaching job even less attractive. The whole scenario is completely implausible.

In the Joe Torre scenario I presented, Rex could call their bluff, and try to coach next season on a de facto one-year deal, but why would he do that if he thinks there are better offers out there? Similarly, the Florio option would send Rex's agent running to the Lions begging for an interview. Again, he's either your coach or he's not. Idzik needs to decide if he's going to pin his career to Rex, or if he's going the other direction.

In the Joe Torre scenario I presented, Rex could call their bluff, and try to coach next season on a de facto one-year deal, but why would he do that if he thinks there are better offers out there? Similarly, the Florio option would send Rex's agent running to the Lions begging for an interview. Again, he's either your coach or he's not. Idzik needs to decide if he's going to pin his career to Rex, or if he's going the other direction.

You keep saying that, but he really doesn't. If he saw enough from Rex to give him another chance with what he knows first hand is a garbage roster, then he can work out a deal where Rex is essentially coaching for his job again in 2014.

You keep saying that, but he really doesn't. If he saw enough from Rex to give him another chance with what he knows first hand is a garbage roster, then he can work out a deal where Rex is essentially coaching for his job again in 2014.

The absolute worst case scenario for the Jets is that they bring Rex back, Geno flops, and the team finishes 8-8 again. Then it's purgatory and two straight years wasted hoping that Rex gets it together. Unless you're adding Cutler and hoping he gets Rex to 12-4, it doesn't make sense. 10 draft picks and $50 mil in cap space sounds awesome in theory, but it doesn't guarantee you an overnight turnaround unless you're using it to bring in Peyton Manning. Idzik is going to use it to buy parts for the future and fill holes. Will it upgrade the overall talent of the team? Yes. Will it turn Rex into a coach that he isn't over the course of 12 months? No.

^Glazer, this week, with Francesa stood by the "word on the street" story, then when asked his opinion on Rex's status said something to the effect that when Woody was asked to his face about Rex, he dodged it with the old "we're going to sit down after the season." Glazer's opinion based on what he was (and wasn't) hearing was that Rex wasn't going to be back.

Yeah, I heard that too.

Then again if Woody had said "Rex is our coach" the story would have been the same, they would have been calling it "the dreaded vote of confidence" or something.

his numbers got drastically better around the Raiders game. The offense has been functional since then

Did't that coincide with the return of Kerley too?

Amazing what a player who, at the very least, merits a roster spot in the NFL can do for a young QB.

Archived