Johnson: Rex will be back

stoicsentry

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one has offered anyone anything yet. They were still in the freaking stadium. All they said - so far as they've said to the public - is that he's coming back next year. As in, "You're not fired and you are still under contract for next year."

What is there to say publicly? Who announces anything to the media prior to talking with Ryan and his agent privately? Who would do such a stupid thing as announce they want to work out an extension and THEN begin to engage with Ryan's agent and, in doing so, unnecessarily give Ryan the upper hand in negotiations?

There's also that other thing: just because he isn't fired doesn't mean he's getting an extension. All they said so far, effectively, is they're not firing him. Nothing more.

That's just weird.

its weird how in my post i say i think rex isnt getting an extension then in your post you tell me another option is he isnt getting an extension....

if woody had wanted rex for next year for the past 2 weeks and was going to offer one i think he woulda had it done. I cant imagine rexs agent hadnt been asking for one beforehand so there should be some terms already known

I'm saying that either he's getting one or he isn't.

If he isn't getting one, there's nothing to announce. But if he is getting one they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell the public prior to beginning negotiations with Rex 's agent.

As of today, all they've announced is that Rex isn't getting fired.

If he isn't getting one, there's nothing to announce. But if he is getting one they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell the public prior to beginning negotiations with Rex 's agent.

So you're saying they just handed Rex's agent twenty megatons of leverage to negotiate a new deal without knowing any of the terms?

im just saying that rex clearly wanted an extension beforehand so they probably had worked on some terms or at least know of them

while woody was telling rex he would be back they could have just as easily said we would like to work on an extension

im happy rex is back tho

That's just weird.

Pretend you're Rex or his agent.

As things stand now, Idzik can call up and say we'll discuss an extension now if the price is right.

If they first announce it to the media, Rex's agent can now say, "We begin negotiations on the extension by you offering us 3 years at $5M per, and we go up from there. Or you could have the embarrassing situation where you announced an extension and now you announce you've changed your minds."

Idzik & Woody, if they are going to offer him an extension, hold all the cards right now. If they announce an extension before one has been worked out, they give up a lot of their negotiating leverage.

So you're saying they just handed Rex's agent twenty megatons of leverage to negotiate a new deal without knowing any of the terms?

Read my above post. I'm saying they'd be ceding leverage by announcing an extension before anything has been signed or any terms at all having been discussed.

You work out the terms and then make the announcement to the media, not the other way around.

Children, let me explain what happened here. Woody Johnson was a lonely child, raised by butlers and nannys. He went to private schools, had tutors, and grew up a sheltered, shy heir to privilege. It was a sad and torturous existence, compounded by the plight of having no one sympathize with him because of his vast, inherited wealth.

Fast forward 40 years.

Woody Johnson wears a baseball cap with an NFL team logo on it. Sports fans know who he is. Professional athletes shake his hand in public! He finds a roughneck, frat-boy coach who hugs him! It's all very exciting!

Then comes the day when it's time to move on from the ebullient frat-boy coach and move on to a more professional, more isolated gent who might not hug him. Woody was very sad.

But, lo! Manish Mehta concocts a poll for Twitter morons! After a win! And the Twitter morons, copying from each other's test (as morons do!) vote en masse to keep the frat boy as head coach! And they want Woody to deliver this message to the frat boy! What fun!

But in the dark, sterile hallways of the personnel department of Florham Park lurks the evil businessman John Idzik! What is Woody to do? He tells John Idzik, "John, I'm going to tell the frat boy he can stay! Twitter likes him!"

The evil Idzik shudders and bangs his desk. He says, "Woody, we're not going to win Super Bowls this way."

So Woody thinks...and he thinks...and he thinks...and he says,

"John, only one team wins the Super Bowl every year, right?"

And Idzik, suspicious, says, "Yes."

And Woody said, "So that gives us a 1 in 32 chance, right?"

And Idzik, who majored in math at Duke, said, "No, Woody. That's not even close to true."

To which Woody replied, "But I can gain the love of 933 Twitter respondents who said they wanted Rex to come back!"

And, with that, Woody ran a-skipping into the Jets locker room and announced to all the players, burly and small, that Rex would return, and return after all!

And Woody was cheered by those big and mean players, and it was as if he belonged there, in that locker room. And he was happy.

Hahahaha

Children, let me explain what happened here. Woody Johnson was a lonely child, raised by butlers and nannys. He went to private schools, had tutors, and grew up a sheltered, shy heir to privilege. It was a sad and torturous existence, compounded by the plight of having no one sympathize with him because of his vast, inherited wealth.

Fast forward 40 years.

Woody Johnson wears a baseball cap with an NFL team logo on it. Sports fans know who he is. Professional athletes shake his hand in public! He finds a roughneck, frat-boy coach who hugs him! It's all very exciting!

Then comes the day when it's time to move on from the ebullient frat-boy coach and move on to a more professional, more isolated gent who might not hug him. Woody was very sad.

But, lo! Manish Mehta concocts a poll for Twitter morons! After a win! And the Twitter morons, copying from each other's test (as morons do!) vote en masse to keep the frat boy as head coach! And they want Woody to deliver this message to the frat boy! What fun!

But in the dark, sterile hallways of the personnel department of Florham Park lurks the evil businessman John Idzik! What is Woody to do? He tells John Idzik, "John, I'm going to tell the frat boy he can stay! Twitter likes him!"

The evil Idzik shudders and bangs his desk. He says, "Woody, we're not going to win Super Bowls this way."

And Idzik, who majored in math at Duke, said, "No, Woody. That's not even close to true."

To which Woody replied, "But I can gain the love of 933 Twitter respondents who said they wanted Rex to come back!"

And, with that, Woody ran a-skipping into the Jets locker room and announced to all the players, burly and small, that Rex would return, and return after all!

And Woody was cheered by those big and mean players, and it was as if he belonged there, in that locker room. And he was happy.

This is brilliant! I seriously hope you get paid for this.

im just saying that rex clearly wanted an extension beforehand so they probably had worked on some terms or at least know of them

while woody was telling rex he would be back they could have just as easily said we would like to work on an extension

im happy rex is back tho

But they wouldn't announce it to the media before any thing's been worked out. There is literally no upside to doing so.

I don't know that they've discussed an extension with Rex prior to today. Could easily be Rex's agent wanted to discuss terms and Idzik said let's see how this season goes first. Either way, whatever his terms were before may be different now that over 90% of the sports media across the country is sucking Rex off, and fan support is not far off that mark (JetNation notwithstanding).

All I'm saying is there's nothing at all strange about not announcing an extension 15 minutes after they informed Rex he's not getting fired.

Read my above post. I'm saying they'd be ceding leverage by announcing an extension before anything has been signed or any terms at all having been discussed.

You work out the terms and then make the announcement to the media, not the other way around.

Unless you're operating under the belief that it's possible for Rex to coach under the terms of his existing contract, (which is ludicrous considering he's now have to convince 7 of his assistants to accept one year deals), Woody implicitly promised him an extension. Rex's agent now holds the leverage of setting the terms or have Woody risk going back in front of the press to say that he misspoke, and that Rex WON'T be back.

Unless you're operating under the belief that it's possible for Rex to coach under the terms of his existing contract, which is ludicrous considering he's now have to convince 7 of his assistants to accept one year deals, Woody implicitly promised him an extension. Rex's agent now get the leverage of setting the terms or have Woody risk going back in front of the press to say that he misspoke

that's going a long way to say the jets are dumb.  they won today.  all the draft picks looked improved. the team is young, improving, has cap space and a ton of picks

be happy you miserable sh*t !

For JN.   

Post counts will be way up!

Post counts would increase with a new coach.  And since I haven't had a single ad on the forum in a few weeks I don't think post counts matter all that much these days.

Why?  Cause if we differ from your opinion we would be crybaby jerkoffs?  Go drown in your sh!tty Guinness.

If you want a circle jerk, go somewhere else.

NJ Meadowlands - please phrase things better than that.  Even if you don't agree with people, we don't want any personal attacks.

And Lil Bit - thanks but we will handle the referrals.  We would appreciate you not telling people to leave the site.

Post counts would increase with a new coach.  And since I haven't had a single ad on the forum in a few weeks I don't think post counts matter all that much these days.

Nah...  lame duck HC is better for post counts than a new coach in the long run.

And the post count increases would make you feel good about yourself and all the time you waste...  er, uh... I mean dedicate to this fantabulous site.  :-D   Its not always about money...  sometimes it feels good to be liked,  And we like you.   :wub1:

Nah...  lame duck HC is better for post counts than a new coach in the long run.

And the post count increases would make you feel good about yourself and all the time you waste...  er, uh... I mean dedicate to this fantabulous site.   :-D   Its not always about money...  sometimes it feels good to be liked,  And we like you.   :wub1:

Not sure what press conference you watched, but I walked away convinced that the Jets don't have a lame duck coach.

Fast forward 40 years.

It's not your fault.

Unless you're operating under the belief that it's possible for Rex to coach under the terms of his existing contract, (which is ludicrous considering he's now have to convince 7 of his assistants to accept one year deals), Woody implicitly promised him an extension. Rex's agent now holds the leverage of setting the terms or have Woody risk going back in front of the press to say that he misspoke, and that Rex WON'T be back.

If you say so. You're batting 1.000 so far, lol.

Personally, I don't think a coach with 3 consecutive non-winning seasons holds leverage on an extension.

The league trend is to not let anyone coach the final season on his contract. I don't think it should matter, and if there is an exception to the rule (as to which HC wouldn't make a stink about it or hold a grudge) I'd think Rex would be as likely to be that exception as anyone. Whether or not people on a message board agree, and whether or not GMs or owners agree, to me there should be nothing strange about telling a HC coming off 3 straight non-winning seasons that he's not getting an extension yet. That he signed a contract to coach through 2014 and he's being held to live up to that contract. There is likely no language in his deal that says if he isn't fired by March of 2014 the Jets have to offer him an extension or fire him.

But if it's announced before any terms have even been discussed, that absolutely tilts leverage no matter what.

Archived