Johnson: Rex will be back

stoicsentry

If you say so. You're batting 1.000 so far, lol.

Personally, I don't think a coach with 3 consecutive non-winning seasons holds leverage on an extension.

The league trend is to not let anyone coach the final season on his contract. I don't think it should matter, and if there is an exception to the rule (as to which HC wouldn't make a stink about it or hold a grudge) I'd think Rex would be as likely to be that exception as anyone. Whether or not people on a message board agree, and whether or not GMs or owners agree, to me there should be nothing strange about telling a HC coming off 3 straight non-winning seasons that he's not getting an extension yet. That he signed a contract to coach through 2014 and he's being held to live up to that contract. There is likely no language in his deal that says if he isn't fired by March of 2014 the Jets have to offer him an extension or fire him.

But if it's announced before any terms have even been discussed, that absolutely tilts leverage no matter what.

I'm batting .867

There are 7 assistants with no deals as of today. There will be roughly 7-8 regime changes in the NFL in the next two weeks. If they think they're pulling together a one-year staff, Rex would be advised to walk, and all his assistants too. It would be an absolute circus.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Children, let me explain what happened here. Woody Johnson was a lonely child, raised by butlers and nannys. He went to private schools, had tutors, and grew up a sheltered, shy heir to privilege. It was a sad and torturous existence, compounded by the plight of having no one sympathize with him because of his vast, inherited wealth.

Fast forward 40 years.

Woody Johnson wears a baseball cap with an NFL team logo on it. Sports fans know who he is. Professional athletes shake his hand in public! He finds a roughneck, frat-boy coach who hugs him! It's all very exciting!

Then comes the day when it's time to move on from the ebullient frat-boy coach and move on to a more professional, more isolated gent who might not hug him. Woody was very sad.

But, lo! Manish Mehta concocts a poll for Twitter morons! After a win! And the Twitter morons, copying from each other's test (as morons do!) vote en masse to keep the frat boy as head coach! And they want Woody to deliver this message to the frat boy! What fun!

But in the dark, sterile hallways of the personnel department of Florham Park lurks the evil businessman John Idzik! What is Woody to do? He tells John Idzik, "John, I'm going to tell the frat boy he can stay! Twitter likes him!"

The evil Idzik shudders and bangs his desk. He says, "Woody, we're not going to win Super Bowls this way."

So Woody thinks...and he thinks...and he thinks...and he says,

"John, only one team wins the Super Bowl every year, right?"

And Idzik, suspicious, says, "Yes."

And Woody said, "So that gives us a 1 in 32 chance, right?"

And Idzik, who majored in math at Duke, said, "No, Woody. That's not even close to true."

To which Woody replied, "But I can gain the love of 933 Twitter respondents who said they wanted Rex to come back!"

And, with that, Woody ran a-skipping into the Jets locker room and announced to all the players, burly and small, that Rex would return, and return after all!

And Woody was cheered by those big and mean players, and it was as if he belonged there, in that locker room. And he was happy.

TL; DR

Children, let me explain what happened here. Woody Johnson was a lonely child, raised by butlers and nannys. He went to private schools, had tutors, and grew up a sheltered, shy heir to privilege. It was a sad and torturous existence, compounded by the plight of having no one sympathize with him because of his vast, inherited wealth.

Fast forward 40 years.

Woody Johnson wears a baseball cap with an NFL team logo on it. Sports fans know who he is. Professional athletes shake his hand in public! He finds a roughneck, frat-boy coach who hugs him! It's all very exciting!

Then comes the day when it's time to move on from the ebullient frat-boy coach and move on to a more professional, more isolated gent who might not hug him. Woody was very sad.

But, lo! Manish Mehta concocts a poll for Twitter morons! After a win! And the Twitter morons, copying from each other's test (as morons do!) vote en masse to keep the frat boy as head coach! And they want Woody to deliver this message to the frat boy! What fun!

But in the dark, sterile hallways of the personnel department of Florham Park lurks the evil businessman John Idzik! What is Woody to do? He tells John Idzik, "John, I'm going to tell the frat boy he can stay! Twitter likes him!"

The evil Idzik shudders and bangs his desk. He says, "Woody, we're not going to win Super Bowls this way."

And Idzik, who majored in math at Duke, said, "No, Woody. That's not even close to true."

To which Woody replied, "But I can gain the love of 933 Twitter respondents who said they wanted Rex to come back!"

And, with that, Woody ran a-skipping into the Jets locker room and announced to all the players, burly and small, that Rex would return, and return after all!

And Woody was cheered by those big and mean players, and it was as if he belonged there, in that locker room. And he was happy.

Vonnegutian.

I'm batting .867

There are 7 assistants with no deals as of today. There will be roughly 7-8 regime changes in the NFL in the next two weeks. If they think they're pulling together a one-year staff, Rex would be advised to walk, and all his assistants too. It would be an absolute circus.

Good Lord.

There is nothing gained by announcing an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

There is no purpose to announcing an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

There is no lost opportunity by failing to announce an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

Good Lord.

There is nothing gained by announcing an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

There is no purpose to announcing an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

There is no lost opportunity by failing to announce an extension at a post-game press conference, prior to any closed-door negotiations.

So you're saying that there will be a multi-year extension.

Rex is the best thing that's ever happened to the jets!

No, that would be winning a Super Bowl. Don't worry I wasn't alive for it either. That is the birthright of any let's fan born after 1965--your best jets memories are secondhand.

Fast forward 40 years.

:face: Westhoff said on Jets Postgame that this is the most optimistic he's ever been on the Jets future

:face: Westhoff said on Jets Postgame that this is the most optimistic he's ever been on the Jets future

Westhoff has been nothing but a Rex-Woody shill all year he's lobbying for a position in the org. Love or hate Schein that show has been awful without him.

You prefer Schein over Mike Westhoff???

On the postgame? Yea all day long,..Westhoff has too many friends in the organization and has stayed above the fray all year and worried about saying the politically correct thing....not what I'm looking for after a game win or lose.

Boy that would be dumb which is why woody will probably so it. Upside: unnecessary extensions to coaches don't count against the salary cap.

Read the above exchange before you take my post at face-value.

He should get this year and no more. While most people (particularly most who aren't Jets fans) would consider this a successful season for Ryan, the fact remains that the Jets haven't had a winning season since 2010.

Most - virtually everyone who doesn't already hate Ryan - would consider 8-8 a success with this roster. But even still, how does one give an extension to a coach who hasn't finished above .500 for 3 years and counting?

Just because most others don't do it? Well most others weren't in this exact situation, where the 2nd-last year was pretty much pre-destined to be a non-SB year (to say the least) no matter what based on the personnel.

if he won 10 games with this roster, then I could see it. If he won 6 games or fewer then he'd have been fired. So 8-8 instead of 6-10, to me, gets him an extra show-me year, not an extra 2-3 years.

He should get this year and no more. While most people (particularly most who aren't Jets fans) would consider this a successful season for Ryan, the fact remains that the Jets haven't had a winning season since 2010.

Most - virtually everyone who doesn't already hate Ryan - would consider 8-8 a success with this roster. But even still, how does one give an extension to a coach who hasn't finished above .500 for 3 years and counting?

Just because most others don't do it? Well most others weren't in this exact situation, where the 2nd-last year was pretty much pre-destined to be a non-SB year (to say the least) no matter what based on the personnel.

if he won 10 games with this roster, then I could see it. If he won 6 games or fewer then he'd have been fired. So 8-8 instead of 6-10, to me, gets him an extra show-me year, not an extra 2-3 years.

Not all 8-8's are created equal. 

The smart move IMO opinion is to give Rex a 1 yr extension because:

1) it avoids the lame duck scenario, and

2) it keeps leverage with the team.

The second reason is most important.  If the team is bad next year, the Jets can fire Rex and only have to eat 1 yr of salary.  But if the team is good, they at least can negotiate with Rex without having Rex have all the leverage.  In other words, you don't want the Pennington Extension for a HC scenario, where the team is essentially forced to give a big contract because they're afraid of losing the guy.

The team has plenty of picks and plenty of cap space. Clearly Idzik is going to use available resources on offense. But there is no reason to believe that ALL of the draft picks, or ALL of the FAs brought in, will be on offense.

All our original 7 picks, plus a 3rd (probably) for Revis, plus 4 more compensatory picks for Keller, Landry, Greene, and DeVito. (They signed Goodson but also lost Slauson and Schilens but there's plenty of time to speculate who cancels out who). A dozen picks. And what, some $50M in cap room (or something like that, if we let Cromartie go with Sanchez, Holmes, and other dead weight. Maybe Harris, maybe not).

While it's unlikely they'll use all $50M available to them (as there are only so many worthwhile players to add & pay in 1 offseason), there's more than enough to go around to make improvements on both sides of the ball.

Archived