Johnson: Rex will be back

stoicsentry

But they wouldn't announce it to the media before any thing's been worked out. There is literally no upside to doing so.

I don't know that they've discussed an extension with Rex prior to today. Could easily be Rex's agent wanted to discuss terms and Idzik said let's see how this season goes first. Either way, whatever his terms were before may be different now that over 90% of the sports media across the country is sucking Rex off, and fan support is not far off that mark (JetNation notwithstanding).

All I'm saying is there's nothing at all strange about not announcing an extension 15 minutes after they informed Rex he's not getting fired.

oh i guess i was just confused when you misspoke cause the first post i referred  to was you talking about why rex hadnt signed a deal 4 minutes after the game

i dont think telling gives rex that much leverage but i also dont think people were arguing with you about whether it was strange if an extension was announced 15 minutes after rex was informed about keeping his job

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smart move IMO opinion is to give Rex a 1 yr extension because:

1) it avoids the lame duck scenario, and

2) it keeps leverage with the team.

The second reason is most important.  If the team is bad next year, the Jets can fire Rex and only have to eat 1 yr of salary.  But if the team is good, they at least can negotiate with Rex without having Rex have all the leverage.  In other words, you don't want the Pennington Extension for a HC scenario, where the team is essentially forced to give a big contract because they're afraid of losing the guy.

If Woody is willing to eat the extra year in the event we don't have a good '14 season, I don't give a crap. But personally, I don't see how just 1 extra year is such a ringing endorsement or makes him any less of a lame-duck coach heading into '14 than no extra years.

Whether he gets 0 extra years or 1, in either case 2014 is a show-me season and he's not the Jets HC in 2014 if he doesn't show. Again, it's not my money and I couldn't care less if Woody gives him another $4M that he eats if Rex gets shown the door after (or during) 2014, but I'm only OK with it if Woody is willing to eat it.

But they wouldn't announce it to the media before any thing's been worked out. There is literally no upside to doing so.

I don't know that they've discussed an extension with Rex prior to today. Could easily be Rex's agent wanted to discuss terms and Idzik said let's see how this season goes first. Either way, whatever his terms were before may be different now that over 90% of the sports media across the country is sucking Rex off, and fan support is not far off that mark (JetNation notwithstanding).

All I'm saying is there's nothing at all strange about not announcing an extension 15 minutes after they informed Rex he's not getting fired.

Welcome to Florham Park. Basically the entire Jets' organization is run according to the whims of an overgrown spoiled child named Robert Wood Johnson III. Picture Veruka Salt asking Daddy for an Umpa Lumpa.And now picture anyone associated with a real NFL organization like the Jints or the Steelers working like this.

Read the above exchange before you take my post at face-value.

He should get this year and no more. While most people (particularly most who aren't Jets fans) would consider this a successful season for Ryan, the fact remains that the Jets haven't had a winning season since 2010.

Most - virtually everyone who doesn't already hate Ryan - would consider 8-8 a success with this roster. But even still, how does one give an extension to a coach who hasn't finished above .500 for 3 years and counting?

I like Rex and agree he should come back to finish his contract.   My problem with Rex is still the in game management.   He really hasn't shown much improvement from his first year and has way too many "WTF moments".     Do you remember week 2 vs. the Pats when he decided not to play with a punt returner?    He still treats the challenge flag like he thinks it's a "do-over" flag and uses it indiscriminately when he doesn't like the result of the play.   

This season they had the 3-game losing streak that cost them the playoffs after the bye.    For whatever reason Rex can't keep his team focused once they have a little success.   Not sure why that is but for whatever reason it has been a running theme for the past 5 seasons.  

I like Rex and agree he should come back to finish his contract.   My problem with Rex is still the in game management.   He really hasn't shown much improvement from his first year and has way too many "WTF moments".     Do you remember week 2 vs. the Pats when he decided not to play with a punt returner?    He still treats the challenge flag like he thinks it's a "do-over" flag and uses it indiscriminately when he doesn't like the result of the play.   

This season they had the 3-game losing streak that cost them the playoffs after the bye.    For whatever reason Rex can't keep his team focused once they have a little success.   Not sure why that is but for whatever reason it has been a running theme for the past 5 seasons.

As per "Collisions" there really is or was no one assigned specifically to tell Wrecks whether or not to throw the red flag. It's basically the HC looking at the jumbotron and guessing like the fans in the stands.

If Woody is willing to eat the extra year in the event we don't have a good '14 season, I don't give a crap. But personally, I don't see how just 1 extra year is such a ringing endorsement or makes him any less of a lame-duck coach heading into '14 than no extra years.

Whether he gets 0 extra years or 1, in either case 2014 is a show-me season and he's not the Jets HC in 2014 if he doesn't show. Again, it's not my money and I couldn't care less if Woody gives him another $4M that he eats if Rex gets shown the door after (or during) 2014, but I'm only OK with it if Woody is willing to eat it.

what happens if the Jets don't make the big FA splash most think they will ? Maybe they build the team to contention then fill much needed holes rather than trying to build a championship caliber team spending all the money right away. What is Rx's fate then ?

Not all 8-8's are created equal.

They're really not.

8-8 with the 2013 Jets is a more impressive end-result than going 8-8 with the 2013:

Ravens

Steelers

Dolphins

Bears

maybe the Cowboys

and a Succop missed FG away from the Chargers (who were only playing against KC's 2nd-stringers in the first place).

Every one of those teams with overall better teams, every one of them with better (and far better-performing) QBs, better receiving "weapons" in a passing league, and according to so many here, all also have better head coaches.

Now throw in the Giants and other underachievers at 7-9 or worse, despite fully expecting to be contenders in August.

And those coaches' 8-8 (or worse) records come with no repeated "they suck" comments. That's reserved only for our coach, with the inference (if not outright claiming) that ours is by far the worst of the bunch.

If another coach managed to eke out 8 wins with this roster, and have exactly one sub-.500 season in 5 despite never having a good QB in a league that demands it, people here would be sucking him off as someone else's coach who knows how to win games even without a personnel advantage.

He's certainly no elite coach, and has many flaws, but we could do a lot worse. I just think people overlook flaws in other coaches, and too-easily dismiss how many blunders and bad decisions get covered up - if not outright erased - by having a top-notch QB (or even a merely decent one who gets hot at just the right time).

He's got more flaws than that. I think he badly needs a DC who he truly gives the reigns to. Not that he shouldn't be involved, but he isn't a good enough game-day HC to do the DC (or at a minimum, DC-lite duties) and still know what's going on for all aspects of his team. I like him, but I'm not going to pretend he hasn't infuriated me many times over the past 5 seasons.

We'll see what happens.

Read the above exchange before you take my post at face-value.

He should get this year and no more. While most people (particularly most who aren't Jets fans) would consider this a successful season for Ryan, the fact remains that the Jets haven't had a winning season since 2010.

Most - virtually everyone who doesn't already hate Ryan - would consider 8-8 a success with this roster. But even still, how does one give an extension to a coach who hasn't finished above .500 for 3 years and counting?

Just because most others don't do it? Well most others weren't in this exact situation, where the 2nd-last year was pretty much pre-destined to be a non-SB year (to say the least) no matter what based on the personnel.

if he won 10 games with this roster, then I could see it. If he won 6 games or fewer then he'd have been fired. So 8-8 instead of 6-10, to me, gets him an extra show-me year, not an extra 2-3 years.

Sounds like we agree. He gonna lose some assistants though but collateral damage when you haven't earned an extension.

what happens if the Jets don't make the big FA splash most think they will ? Maybe they build the team to contention then fill much needed holes rather than trying to build a championship caliber team spending all the money right away. What is Rx's fate then ?

There's little chance the Jets sit on the sideline in free agency. When they've had cap space they've spent it (often foolishly, but they have never been a franchise to keep $30M+ in cap space and push it to the following year, year after year).

If they do, then they do. But if they do they'll be breaking new ground. I think the reason they didn't even max out this past season is because Idzik felt he'd be throwing money at bad (wasting cap space on a lost season instead of saving it for one that isn't thought to be pre-destined for failure in March).

Building through the draft doesn't mean not bringing in sure-things when they're available.

So you're asking what would I think the solution is in the event of circumstances that aren't going to arise.

The Jets were unbelievably lucky with injuries this year...zero big time injuries. Saved Rex's ass as there's zero depth on this team. Did the Jets have one player who stepped up that  we didnt expect to?

Calvin Pace played better than expected. 

They were lucky with injuries.  Losing Antwan Barnes did hurt them though, he looked like he was going to be the best pass rusher early this season.

Holmes falls into the injury category since he know sucks after that injury.

They were lucky with injuries.  Losing Antwan Barnes did hurt them though, he looked like he was going to be the best pass rusher early this season.

I thought the RB's played well considering defenses having no fear of our passing game. Powell & Ivory ran hard all season.

This is a great post.  And these are the things that Rex needs to work on.  Those are the top two weaknesses of his in my opinon:

1) It might be time to dig up Dick Curl to handle the challenge flag, Rex is too emotional with his decisions

2) The bye week. They need to completely rethink this.  I hope the Jets have a week one bye next year.

Don't expect Pace will be back between age and his contract. Which is probably not as great a loss as you might think anyway.

Thnink bringing Wrecks back will be a disaster. But if that's the plan, please cut Holmes tomorrow at 9AM. Speaks very poorly if this team he's been here the last 2 seasons.

By the same token Winslow and Kerley are very servicable pros; if the price is right they both should be back. That's depth in the recieivng core right there, whcihw as the mistake they made letting Cotchery go.

Just saying look around the league with the injuries....guys who step up were draft picks. Our starting payers on offense are castoffs. Our backups are even worse.

Don't expect Pace will be back between age and his contract. Which is probably not as great a loss as you might think anyway.

Thnink bringing Wrecks back will be a disaster. But if that's the plan, please cut Holmes tomorrow at 9AM. Speaks very poorly if this team he's been here the last 2 seasons.

By the same token Winslow and Kerley are very servicable pros; if the price is right they both should be back. That's depth in the recieivng core right there, whcihw as the mistake they made letting Cotchery go.

Kerley isnt depth he's our best receiver!

Just saying look around the league with the injuries....guys who step up were draft picks. Our starting payers on offense are castoffs. Our backups are even worse.

I may have missed an earlier post, I am not disagreeing there is a sever lack of talent on the Jets roster right now.

I think Pace played so well in that pass rushing role they will try to bring him back on a one-year vet minimum deal.  But the problem is when you get over 10 sacks, someone could offer him slightly more, even at his age.

Kerley was a 5th round pick in 2011 so he is still on that rookie 4 year deal, he will definitely be back.

I like Winslow but I actually hope they upgrade the position (new starter) with Cumberland being a backup.

Orakpo is a FA and a great pass rushing OLB in the 3-4.   If the Jets can get him without completely breaking the bank he would be a huge upgrade on D.  

It won't happen this way but here is how I would budget all of the Jets free agent money.

98% goes to the offense

2% goes to charity

Edelman would be a good signing. Him, Tate and a few picks.

I can't see Belichick paying Edelman since he basically created him.  After the season he had though, someone is going to pay him.  Belly will just go and get another slot guy that we never heard of.  Definitely isn't fair to Tom Brady though.

I can't see Belichick paying Edelman since he basically created him.  After the season he had though, someone is going to pay him.  Belly will just go and get another slot guy that we never heard of.  Definitely isn't fair to Tom Brady though.

Personally I think him and Welker are more than just the system....but good coaching does wonders. Edelman going forward is an asset...he'll get open for whoever he plays for next.

Gotcha.But we need to scout offense better. There's a good chance Hill and Ducasse arent on the team next year.

Pretty sure Hill will be back, the cap savings of cutting him this year is something like 350k.  He needs to be the 5th WR going into camp though.  Nothing hire.  The days of handing him anything are over.

Personally I think him and Welker are more than just the system....but good coaching does wonders. Edelman going forward is an asset...he'll get open for whoever he plays for next.

I always thought Welker was more.  Edelman I didn't.  But hell after the year he had....you can't argue that he has talent.

I always thought Welker was more.  Edelman I didn't.  But hell after the year he had....you can't argue that he has talent.

You get inside Brady's head and  you're automatically a better player imo. These slot guys who've played with Brady and Peyton produced everywhere. Stokley was still bouncing around the league this year.

There's little chance the Jets sit on the sideline in free agency. When they've had cap space they've spent it (often foolishly, but they have never been a franchise to keep $30M+ in cap space and push it to the following year, year after year).

If they do, then they do. But if they do they'll be breaking new ground. I think the reason they didn't even max out this past season is because Idzik felt he'd be throwing money at bad (wasting cap space on a lost season instead of saving it for one that isn't thought to be pre-destined for failure in March).

Building through the draft doesn't mean not bringing in sure-things when they're available.

So you're asking what would I think the solution is in the event of circumstances that aren't going to arise.

All of that was under Tannenbaum. I do not see the Jets being players in the big name big ticket FAs

The Jets were unbelievably lucky with injuries this year...zero big time injuries. Saved Rex's ass as there's zero depth on this team. Did the Jets have one player who stepped up that we didnt expect to?

Kerley injury hurt. Nelson stepped up. Pace too. Richardson was better than expected too, but not exactly what you're asking.

Why the hell can't Rex come back on his final year of his contract?

Will the world cease to exist as we know it?

Hell after seeing the way this team played for Rex thinking his job is on the line if I'm Woody, and Idzik I'm only giving Rex 1 week contract extensions from here on out! Seriously tho if any coach can flip the script on the lame duck coach 1 year contract situation it's a loved players coach like Rex, at least if he got fired this year he was getting paid next year regardless in his mind.

Archived