Winning 'Run for Reggie' may not pay off

TaborJet

Winning 'Run for Reggie' may not pay off

USC star might not be the answer for the NFL team that selects him

By Gary Peterson

NBCSports.com contributor

The Bush Bowl might have been canceled, but the Run for Reggie is still on.

Don't assume the winner is the team that winds up with the first pick in next April's NFL draft.

No disrespect intended toward USC all-purpose oooh-and-ahhhh machine Reggie Bush. He was clearly the most electrifying player in college football this season, and richly deserving of the Heisman Trophy. Should he declare for the draft, as expected, he'll be the fans' choice as the No. 1 pick.

The question is: Which fans?

For most of this season, it had been assumed that the loser of Sunday's game between the sorry San Francisco 49ers and hideous Houston Texans would claim the top pick in the draft. But the Bush Bowl all but fell apart when the 49ers took themselves out of the running with last weekend's win over St. Louis. According to the NFL, the 49ers need to lose, have nine other games go their way AND lose the coin toss to finish with the top overall pick.

(Because the tiebreaker is strength of schedule, the actual winner of the tiebreaker won't be determined until all Sunday's games are completed).

Still, five teams remain in contention

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does he block, complete passes, stop the run, and coach from the sidelines as well as run the ball? :shock:

no, what one player does,,

unless u want to trade the picks for 2 or 3 others, Bush is the right pick,,

Jets can solidify OL with lower picks/free agents,,they are 2 years away from a solid Ol anyways,,,dont pass on stud casue OL aint ready yet...

Does he block, complete passes, stop the run, and coach from the sidelines as well as run the ball? :shock:

Why does everyone think the Jets only have 1 pick in the entire draft? Plus the comps from Fergie, McKenzie, and Jordan. Then there is the whole free agency thing. The Jets can address other needs. But with Curtis ailing, how can RB not be one of, if not the biggest hole right now?

Damn right tabor.

This team can have the biggest turnaround in the history of the NFL if a few things BREAK our way

1. Chad Pennington comes back strong and stays healthy

2. We get Reggie Bush

3. We make 2 good moves in free agency

A: Sign LeCharles Bentley - I cannot stress this enough. Bentley must be the Jets #1 target in FA. Teaming Bentley and Mawae - Definetly the meanest LG-Center combo in the NFL. Bentley is very young, and already a probowl lineman. He can move to left guard until Mawae's contract is over, which is for a couple more years I think.

B: Sign a FA run stuffer: #1 should be Grady Jackson. If not, Sam Adams would be a decent fallback option.

Even if we sign Bentley, Jackson and draft Reggie Bush. I would STILL take Max Jean Giles in the top of the 2nd rd if he is still on the board. Unless he shows up at the combines/proday really overweight and lazy, he would be ideal at right guard. Then with our 1st 3rd rd pick take the top rated Offensive tackle on the board, or DT Gabe Watson (should he fall to the 3rd rd).

Just imagine our Offensive line......

LT--Jones

LG--Bentley

C---Mawae

RG--Giles

RT--3rd rder/Cavka/Morley

While the RT spot is up in the air, it should be better than what we have now. The interior line is just unbelievable. Bush would have gaping holes to run through every game.

Bentley, Mawae and Giles? So potentially devasting in the run game, its scary.

And let me just clear something up, if we have to pass on Grady Jackson to lockup Bentley. So be it!

Thats how good Lecharles Bentley is. If you dont know how good he is, watch a few saints game. He is a great player.

Why does everyone think the Jets only have 1 pick in the entire draft? Plus the comps from Fergie, McKenzie, and Jordan. Then there is the whole free agency thing.

What have the Jets ever done with picks 2-7? :shock:

Not like they will find players who will be immediate contributors.

Hermy likes them to learn on the bench for 3 or 4 years.

What have the Jets ever done with picks 2-7? :shock:

Not like they will find players who will be immediate contributors.

Hermy likes them to learn on the bench for 3 or 4 years.

McKenzie and Jordan come to mind. Too bad the front office couldn't afford to keep them.

I am really starting to wonder if the Jets drafting Reggie Bush is such a great idea. This is based on nothing except the fact that EB is so in favor of it.

Bush looks like he cant miss...but EB seems like he thinks it would be the best thing for the Jets which makes me think it would be a total disaster because EB is a retard.

What JonEJinx is to the Baseball Forum, EB is to everyhing else...

Vince Young it is!

I am really starting to wonder if the Jets drafting Reggie Bush is such a great idea. This is based on nothing except the fact that EB is so in favor of it.

Bush looks like he cant miss...but EB seems like he thinks it would be the best thing for the Jets which makes me think it would be a total disaster because EB is a retard.

What JonEJinx is to the Baseball Forum, EB is to everyhing else...

Vince Young it is!

Vince Young hasn't declared yet..

And yeah, they're right about Reggie Bush being the most hyped draftee in recent history. I'm not too keen on a team in cap hell, first of all, signing huge name free agents, second of all, drafting a prospect who's going to be looking for the largest deal in NFL history.

How do you know Bush will ask for the biggest deal in draft history? He might not have to if he lands in NY. He can make plenty of money off the field in commercials, endorsements, tv and radio etc etc.

Obviously, he could do that in any NFL city (except for New Orleans), but it would be on a larger scale in New York.

He might not go #1. Plus he's a running back, who dont get signing bonuses as big as QBs (Leinart).

Highest draft grade in history. Biggest amount of hype in draft history. You don't think he's going to look to break the bank? And, you think he'd give New York a discount? That's inane logic.

And, he's going to go number one. He has to. The team that doesn't take him will be lauded. Think taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Highest draft grade in history. Biggest amount of hype in draft history. You don't think he's going to look to break the bank? And, you think he'd give New York a discount? That's inane logic.

And, he's going to go number one. He has to. The team that doesn't take him will be lauded. Think taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Thats definetly possible, no doubt.

But if an NFL front office feels they have to take Bush over making the right football decision (Saints going with a QB over Bush), then they're a stupid franchise.

If Leinart pans out, it will not matter if they passed on Bush. This Sam Bowie to Jordan comparison only holds so much weight.

QBs are more important than RBs. If the Saints feel like Leinart will be a franchise QB, I dont see them passing him up, especially with a great runner in Deuce McAlister coming back next year.

Like I said, its possible the Saints would go with Bush (if they land the #1), but I dont buy into this "They are forced to draft Bush because he's so hyped". Any FO that does that should be stripped to the bone.

How do you know Bush will ask for the biggest deal in draft history? He might not have to if he lands in NY. He can make plenty of money off the field in commercials, endorsements, tv and radio etc etc.

Obviously, he could do that in any NFL city (except for New Orleans), but it would be on a larger scale in New York.

Another stupid post by EB with absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

If Bush is as good as advertised, he will make the exact same endorsement money in New Orleans as he would in New York.

Any deal that he gets will be National in scope (Nike, General Motors American Express, etc.) and not geared toward the city he plays in.

Do you really think he would turn down a $5 million, national endorsement deal with Nike to do a $50,000 deal locally for Crazy Eddies? :shock:

Also, if he was with the Jets he'd always be playing 2nd fiddle to Eli and the Giants. :wink:

Another stupid post by EB with absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

If Bush is as good as advertised, he will make the exact same endorsement money in New Orleans as he would in New York.

Any deal that he gets will be National in scope (Nike, General Motors American Express, etc.) and not geared toward the city he plays in.

Do you really think he would turn down a $5 million, national endorsement deal with Nike to do a $50,000 deal locally for Crazy Eddies? :shock:

Also, if he was with the Jets he'd always be playing 2nd fiddle to Eli and the Giants. :wink:

Shaddup tx. What do you know about marketing an athlete?

Bushs marketing advisor said it would be a "DISASTER" if Bush was drafted by the Saints - A DISASTER. Tx thinks he knows more than professional advisors for Reggie? :lol:

Bush would get the same nike deal offered in NY....I'm not sure wtf you're saying there.

Look at all the endorsements and commercials that Arod and Jeter get. Part of that is because they play in NY - Gatorade, Pepsi, Sports Cards, Deodorant. The possibilities are endless in New York.

FYI - New York is the platform for athletes in the USA. The Media Capital of the World.

1). Shaddup tx. What do you know about marketing an athlete?

2) Bush would get the same nike deal offered in NY....I'm not sure wtf you're saying there.

Look at all the endorsements and commercials that Arod and Jeter get. Part of that is because they play in NY - Gatorade, Pepsi, Sports Cards, Deodorant. The possibilities are endless in New York.

3) FYI - New York is the platform for athletes in the USA. The Media Capital of the World.

1). Marketing is marketing whether it is widgets or professional athletes. 22 years in Sales and Marketing with a Fortune 5 company has taught me well.

2). That's my friggn' point. He'll get the same deal no matter what city he plays in. Please do not forget the power of the NFL.

3). Again, this has absolutely no bearing on Bush's endorsement contracts.

1). Marketing is marketing whether it is widgets or professional athletes. 22 years in Sales and Marketing with a Fortune 5 company has taught me well.

2). That's my friggn' point. He'll get the same deal no matter what city he plays in. Please do not forget the power of the NFL.

TX-Answer me this-

If you are advising a pro athlete, and he has carte blanche on the franchise that he could pick, where would you recommend he go-New York or New Orleans, in terms of trying to cash in on his largest opportunity for endorsement?

Again, I am not t aking a side here, but if you think an athlete has as much endorsement power in New Orleans as New York, then I believe you are mistaken.

Y'know... this is what I've been saying all along.

And SD, if you think the NFL wouldn't let him become big, reguardless of where he plays, you're sadly mistaken. In this respect, the NFL is far greater than New York City.

TX-Answer me this-

If you are advising a pro athlete, and he has carte blanche on the franchise that he could pick, where would you recommend he go-New York or New Orleans, in terms of trying to cash in on his largest opportunity for endorsement?

Again, I am not t aking a side here, but if you think an athlete has as much endorsement power in New Orleans as New York, then I believe you are mistaken.

Dierk,

You are missing my point completely.

Any endorsement deal that Bush gets will be national in scope. It will be shown all over the country and not just in New York.

He will NOT be doing all the small little deals for local car dealerships, supermarkets or electronic stores.

If this was a soccer star for the MSL, we'd be talking about something entirely different. Then I would agree with barton 100%.

This is different, this is a "potential" star in the NFL.

BTW, how has Peyton Manning done with all his endorsements in that friggn' metropolis of Indianapolis?

Get my point? :wink:

Dierk,

You are missing my point completely.

Any endorsement deal that Bush gets will be national in scope. It will be shown all over the country and not just in New York.

He will NOT be doing all the small little deals for local car dealerships, supermarkets or electronic stores.

If this was a soccer star for the MSL, we'd be talking about something entirely different. Then I would agree with barton 100%.

This is different, this is a "potential" star in the NFL.

BTW, how has Peyton Manning done with all his endorsements in that friggn' metropolis of Indianapolis?

Get my point? :wink:

TX-You are missing the point of marketing.

Where does an athlete get more EXPOSURE-In NY or New Orleans?

What does an agensy want for their client? EXPOSURE.

Who gets more people watching and attending their games NY or NO? Who gets more write-ups NY or NY?

Why do you think it is that NY rookies get so much ink?

Why do you think Joe Namath is in teh HOF? Think he would be their if he played in Detroit?

You are CRAZY if yoiu don;t believe agencies would rather have an athlete who lplays in NY. That is WHY so many athletes are drawn to NY-Marketing and publicity.

This is ABC of sport marketing. Marketing 101 in fact

TX

Would Bush make more money in New York or a broken city (New Orleans) ??

Lets not forget this, the Jets are a better team than the Saints. I dont think the Saints will ever win a damn thing if they stay in Louisinia because what good attractive free agents will want to go to play for the New Orleans Saints when they dont even have anything to offer?

Saints are screwed, they should move the team.

Who gets more people watching and attending their games NY or NO? Who gets more write-ups NY or NY?

Why do you think Joe Namath is in teh HOF? Think he would be their if he played in Detroit?

You are CRAZY if yoiu don;t believe agencies would rather have an athlete who lplays in NY. That is WHY so many athletes are drawn to NY-Marketing and publicity.

Yeah... cause it sure hurt Lebron James :roll:

You're missing the entire point. The NFL is going to be pimping Reggie Bush. Nike is going to be pimping Reggie Bush. He's going to be everywhere, reguardless of where he goes. He's going to be leading Sportscenter, where ever he ends up.

TX

Would Bush make more money in New York or a broken city (New Orleans) ??

Lets not forget this, the Jets are a better team than the Saints. I dont think the Saints will ever win a damn thing if they stay in Louisinia because what good attractive free agents will want to go to play for the New Orleans Saints when they dont even have anything to offer?

Saints are screwed, they should move the team.

Take the organizations and take their history out of teh equation.

Lets say you have athlete "x" and he has a choice of NY or NO and his decision is based on marketing exposure and earning potential, he is going to choose NY.

That is so common. NY allows you to earn more. Corporations want their product to get exposure,

TX-What uniforms do you think sell more-NY Jets or New Orleans Saints?

Yeah... cause it sure hurt Lebron James :roll:

You're missing the entire point. The NFL is going to be pimping Reggie Bush. Nike is going to be pimping Reggie Bush. He's going to be everywhere, reguardless of where he goes. He's going to be leading Sportscenter, where ever he ends up.

SS-You are missing the point entirelyu-I am NOT arguing Reggie Bush. I am arguing what is teh higher marketing potential NY or NO. This is not even close.

Dierk,

In any other sport except the NFL, I would agree with you.

But this is the NFL and not some other rinky-dink sport. It does not matter one iota where NFL sperstars play, they will ALWAYS be marketable because the NFL will see that it happens.

ie: See Peyton Manning

Then, you're missing the point of the entire debate. It's not about which has a higher marketing potential. We all know it's New York, and you New Yorkers won't let us forget it. The debate is about Reggie Bush, and his marketing potential. And, the sky is the limit for him, reguardless of where he ends up.

Man... if they think you're ripping on New York, then the come out of the woodwork...

Dierk,

In any other sport except the NFL, I would agree with you.

But this is the NFL and not some other rinky-dink sport. It does not matter one iota where NFL sperstars play, they will ALWAYS be marketable because the NFL will see that it happens.

ie: See Peyton Manning

TX-Wrong, wrong wrong.

If you are Nike, where do you want your athlete playing Ny or NO?

Answer honestly.

Then, you're missing the point of the entire debate. It's not about which has a higher marketing potential. We all know it's New York, and you New Yorkers won't let us forget it. The debate is about Reggie Bush, and his marketing potential. And, the sky is the limit for him, reguardless of where he ends up.

Man... if they think you're ripping on New York, then the come out of the woodwork...

Damn storm, do you feel like we are stuck on an island together with this thread? :shock:

OK

But this arguement does have to do with higher marketing potential.

What I am saying is Bush would earn millions more playing in New York than for New Orleans.

If you think we're arguing about Bush's marketing potential (yes we are), that goes hand in hand with New York having higher marketing potential than New Orleans.

Bush's marketing potential in New York > Bush's marketing potential in New Orleans

TX-Wrong, wrong wrong.

If you are Nike, where do you want your athlete playing Ny or NO?

Answer honestly.

Of course the ideal situation would be to have your client playing in New York, that is the ideal situation and I am not argueing that point.

So you are saying that Nike would go to Bush and say, "Well Reggie, since you are only playing in New Orleans we can only of you $1 million instead of $5 million if you were playing in New York".

That scenario would never happen with an NFL superstar.

That's the debate, not New York versus New Orleans.

Archived