MUST WATCH VIDEO: Jets Locker Room Reaction to Rex Retained

JustInFudge

He could have been calling college coaches, no?

Or he could have been calling no one, and is thrilled to have Rex back.  There is evidence that he likes Rex (See JiF's video)  and 0 evidence that he was making calls.

I'll go with that he is thrilled to have Rex back

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans are happy with shiny trinkets and pieces of cheap candy. Who the f___ celebrates .500?

1-4 off the bye.

7 blowout losses,5 against nonplayoff teams, 2 wins off miracle penalties.

Wrecks throws the red flag when the mood strikes him since on gameday NOBODY is assigned that job. It's simply the HC hoping for the best after a peek at the scoreboard.He will, however, jump around like a schoolgirl if there's a good defensive play. Is there any successful NFL HC who does that while the game is still going on?The man is an embarrassment.

The worst offense in the NFL for 5 years running. Smith blows. We have no idea if Simms might be any good.

Zero division titles while our 2 chief rivals have 5 Lombardis between them since 2001.

Hold a goddamn parade and pop some champagne (the cheap stuff only).

This franchise gets more tolerant of crappy football.

Spot on.

Jets fans are happy with shiny trinkets and pieces of cheap candy. Who the f___ celebrates .500?

1-4 off the bye.

Wrecks throws the red flag when the mood strikes him since on gameday NOBODY is assigned that job. It's simply the HC hoping for the best after a peek at the scoreboard.He will, however, jump around like a schoolgirl if there's a good defensive play. Is there any successful NFL HC who does that while the game is still going on?The man is an embarrassment.

The worst offense in the NFL for 5 years running. Smith blows. We have no idea if Simms might be any good.

Zero division titles while our 2 chief rivals have 5 Lombardis between them since 2001.

I'm just happy that I know not to worry about things I cannot control. 

Head Coaching Opportunities for Assistants

• In season (including Super Bowl if they are still playing; excluding Pro Bowl):

NO contact with an Assistant Coach under contract, no permission can even be

requested and no permission can be granted by the employer club.

o This applies to coaches sought for ANY future job, including Head Coach,

subject to the Post Season exception, below.

http://www.prostarcoaching.net/library/NFL_Contact_Rules.pdf

I think the route they take is to call a coach's agent (and vice versa) to establish interest, then that agent calls his favorite reporter to tell the world how in-demand his client is. Plenty of routes to take to circumvent tampering.

I think the route they take is to call a coach's agent (and vice versa) to establish interest, then that agent calls his favorite reporter to tell the world how in-demand his client is. Plenty of routes to take to circumvent tampering.

Fair bet every GM in the NFL has a list of potential HC candidates at all times, at least in his head or possibly in his computer. And probably talks to the same group of agents about players and coaches informally all the time. Nobody is dumb enough to talk directly to people under contract.

Havent seen this posted any where on the board, its on the Jets website so I cant copy and paste it...but this is awesome.

Viva Rex Ryan!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

That was very nice to watch JIF. I'm happy for Rex I hope he's what this team needs.

1-4 off the bye.

While you have long since established your disdain for Rex for a lot of different reasons, you have to realize that your post comes across as simply an agenda when you start throwing out comments like "2 wins off miracle penalties".  I won't bother arguing the Tampa game because there is literally no way to know how the game would have turned out without that call, considering the Jets had time to run another play had they not gotten that penalty.  I suppose you've convinced yourself that getting another 5 to 10 yards on one play was an impossibility, and that's your prerogative, but nobody knows either way.  Trying to make the point that you are about the Patriots game, on the other hand, is distorting the facts.  As far as the so-called "miracle penalty", the Pats were called for a penalty they not only actually committed, but were even warned about by the referees in advance.  Meanwhile, you cite that as the sole reason for victory, yet fail to mention that the reason the Jets did not win the game in regulation was because Geno's would-be game-winning TD pass to Stephen Hill was wiped off the board by a phantom penalty call against the Jets that had never even actually occurred.  Your premise is also based off of crediting the Patriots with points they had not scored, considering the game would have still been tied even with a Folk miss.

Honestly ask yourself this question for a moment, if those games had happened in the exact same manner, but with the teams' performances flipped, thus the Jets on the losing end of those games after having those penalties called against them, would you be using them as an argument in favor of the Jets and Rex, and essentially crediting them as wins for the Jets instead of losses?  Or even if you didn't do it yourself, would you even just concede to others who supported Rex using that as an argument in his favor?  Of course not on both counts, and nobody could reasonably expect you to, so there's no justification for doing the opposite.

While I haven't reached the point of being a full-on Rex hater, I know that he's got his flaws and can understand why some people wanted him gone (and I've admitted I would've been ok with it), but making up reasons for why Jets' wins shouldn't count does not qualify amongst them.  I'm really just saying that you're actually hurting your own argument more than anything.

While you have long since established your disdain for Rex for a lot of different reasons, you have to realize that your post comes across as simply an agenda when you start throwing out comments like "2 wins off miracle penalties".  I won't bother arguing the Tampa game because there is literally no way to know how the game would have turned out without that call, considering the Jets had time to run another play had they not gotten that penalty.  I suppose you've convinced yourself that getting another 5 to 10 yards on one play was an impossibility, and that's your prerogative, but nobody knows either way.  Trying to make the point that you are about the Patriots game, on the other hand, is distorting the facts.  As far as the so-called "miracle penalty", the Pats were called for a penalty they not only actually committed, but were even warned about by the referees in advance.  Meanwhile, you cite that as the sole reason for victory, yet fail to mention that the reason the Jets did not win the game in regulation was because Geno's would-be game-winning TD pass to Stephen Hill was wiped off the board by a phantom penalty call against the Jets that had never even actually occurred.  Your premise is also based off of crediting the Patriots with points they had not scored, considering the game would have still been tied even with a Folk miss.

Honestly ask yourself this question for a moment, if those games had happened in the exact same manner, but with the teams' performances flipped, thus the Jets on the losing end of those games after having those penalties called against them, would you be using them as an argument in favor of the Jets and Rex, and essentially crediting them as wins for the Jets instead of losses?  Or even if you didn't do it yourself, would you even just concede to others who supported Rex using that as an argument in his favor?  Of course not on both counts, and nobody could reasonably expect you to, so there's no justification for doing the opposite.

While I haven't reached the point of being a full-on Rex hater, I know that he's got his flaws and can understand why some people wanted him gone (and I've admitted I would've been ok with it), but making up reasons for why Jets' wins shouldn't count does not qualify amongst them.  I'm really just saying that you're actually hurting your own argument more than anything.

It is fair to say that the Jets were only able to take advantage of those penalties because they put themselves in that position the rest of the game. They played well vs. the Pats, but they were fortunate that the Bucs are a terrible team.

This is a .500 team. In 5 years in an increasingly pass-oriented NFL, the Jets' offense has been awful. Simple fact is defense-first coaches have known forever there are enough bad teams on the schedule that if you play decent defense and run the ball okay along with running doen the clock, you cut down on your opponent's possessions and chances to score. Basically you're trying to cut down on your margin for error. Problem is that doesn't seem to work as well as it did with the changes to the rules benefiting passing. And defense, even the best of them,are going to give some things up. Ryan is following a gameplan that has a limited ceiling and less so every passing year. And if you're going to try to play like that you need to know how the clock works, how to use your timeouts and challenges and have good special teams play to add to your field possession. Ryan did at least have decent specials with Westhoff but no more, and he's awful at those other items across the board.

YOu need a decent QB to win. No one has any idea if Smith or Simms or any QB on this roster is any good because the marching orders are to run the ball and pass only out of necessity. The NFL is no longer a running game. Running is typically more an outcome of being ahead late in games (as with the Jets yesterday) than a reason why a team wins. You cannot be so scared to pass. And this really is the riony; for all his swagger bragging BS, Rex Ryan is scared to death to pass. I can recall the jets being very successful during Testaverde/Parcells because the INTs were usually so far upfield they were often no worse than a punt. But when your passinga attack is all within 5-7 yards, INTs are a catastrophe. Further a solid deep passing game makes moving the ball way easier. And way Way WAY easier than a 14 play 80 yard drive that has more plays and therefore more chances for a drive to bog down. The Jets offense was among the worst this year for 3 and outs.

This is not gonna end well. Rex Ryan is his father's son. We're about to waste another season.

Actually what they do is contact the league office, and inquire when a coach will be available under his current contract.  They may not contact the agent, it is the same as contacting the coach, but they can inquire through the league about him.  That alerts the agent that there is some interest.  They may not negotiate in any manner while games are being played.  Once the season ends for the team, if it is a HC spot, they may ask permission from the team to talk to the coach for the promotion to HC.  It is almost always granted  

Actually what they do is contact the league office, and inquire when a coach will be available under his current contract. They may not contact the agent, it is the same as contacting the coach, but they can inquire through the league about him. That alerts the agent that there is some interest. They may not negotiate in any manner while games are being played. Once the season ends for the team, if it is a HC spot, they may ask permission from the team to talk to the coach for the promotion to HC. It is almost always granted

Do you believe that's the way it actually works?

YOu need a decent QB to win. No one has any idea if Smith or Simms or any QB on this roster is any good because the marching orders are to run the ball and pass only out of necessity.

Please stop already with this blatant fabrication.  Rex didn't hire a guy who is well known to favor the pass to tell him to start running. 

"Philosophically, I don’t care as much about balance in any particular game,” Mornhinweg said. “If we have to run the ball 50 times to win the game, that’s what we’ll do. If we have to pass the ball 50 times, that’s what we’ll do. Now, if you take the whole season, you’d rather somewhere around 60/40 – you’re usually going to be a little higher, 60 to 65 percent passing.”

In Rex' 1st year they ran the ball 607 times and passed it 393.

This season the Jets ran the ball 493 times and passed it 480

There was a concerted effort this year to achieve balance despite the fact they were starting a raw rookie QB and the worst collection of receiving options in the NFL. 

The ground and pound mentality people want to ascribe to Rex is a myth.  Plain and simple.

The funny thing is next year with a maturing Geno and new WR's, people will be complaining that we pass too much and should get back to the run. 

Please stop already with this blatant fabrication.  Rex didn't hire a guy who is well known to favor the pass to tell him to start running. 

"Philosophically, I don’t care as much about balance in any particular game,” Mornhinweg said. “If we have to run the ball 50 times to win the game, that’s what we’ll do. If we have to pass the ball 50 times, that’s what we’ll do. Now, if you take the whole season, you’d rather somewhere around 60/40 – you’re usually going to be a little higher, 60 to 65 percent passing.”

In Rex' 1st year they ran the ball 607 times and passed it 393.

This season the Jets ran the ball 493 times and passed it 480

There was a concerted effort this year to achieve balance despite the fact they were starting a raw rookie QB and the worst collection of receiving options in the NFL. 

The ground and pound mentality people want to ascribe to Rex is a myth.  Plain and simple.

The funny thing is next year with a maturing Geno and new WR's, people will be complaining that we pass too much and should get back to the run. 

Why are you letting facts get in the way!

Why are you letting facts get in the way!

Jets are 31st in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs. You could look it up. But hey, you're okay with that and Manish Metha thinks Geno Smith is Dan marino in the making. Good for you; you are clearly a better fan than me. Again more proof this fan base, or what's left of it, is Stockholm Syndrome style buying this crap. This offense sucks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

Jets are 31st in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs. You could look it up. But hey, you're okay with that and Manish Metha thinks Geno Smith is Dan marino in the making. Good for you; you are clearly a better fan than me. Again more proof this fan base, or what's left of it, is Stockholm Syndrome style buying this crap. This offense sucks.

Wait hold on a second. Our starting QB spent the year on the DL - a second round rookie QB ended up the most accurate downfield passer in the N- F- L by week (5?), our WR1 (Holmes) spent 90% of the year on the DL, WR2 (Kerley) spent 90% of year on DL, WR3 (Hill) was scratched by week 15, TE1 was cut (Keller), ONE running back who was RB2 carried over from the year prior - and virtually everyone who actually watched the team this year still thinks they moved FORWARD on offense - but you are accusing me of Stockholm Syndrome? Dude- I became sympathetic to this club about 20 years ago. Now I see a legitimate possibility that they are actually building a foundation. You need to get your nerves checked and pick up a history book on the Jets in the 1990's.

Wait hold on a second. Our starting QB spent the year on the DL - a second round rookie QB ended up the most accurate downfield passer in the N- F- L by week (5?), our WR1 (Holmes) spent 90% of the year on the DL, WR2 (Kerley) spent 90% of year on DL, WR3 (Hill) was scratched by week 15, TE1 was cut (Keller), ONE running back who was RB2 carried over from the year prior - and virtually everyone who actually watched the team this year still thinks they moved FORWARD on offense - but you are accusing me of Stockholm Syndrome? Dude- I became sympathetic to this club about 20 years ago. Now I see a legitimate possibility that they are actually building a foundation. You need to get your nerves checked and pick up a history book on the Jets in the 1990's.

Don't let facts get in the way, right?

Who the **** is arguing that the Jets passing offense is good?  I have literally not heard one person make that claim.  

Going to Mornhinweg and the GM change both indicate that they find the offense unacceptable.  They didn't fix it in one offseason where they had to clear cap space.  Again, not one person is surprised by this, but you want to ascribe some meaning going all the way back to the '85 Bears and beyond.  If they do not spend significant resources to upgrade the offense this year we will all be pissed.  

Who the **** is arguing that the Jets passing offense is good?  I have literally not heard one person make that claim.  

Going to Mornhinweg and the GM change both indicate that they find the offense unacceptable.  They didn't fix it in one offseason where they had to clear cap space.  Again, not one person is surprised by this, but you want to ascribe some meaning going all the way back to the '85 Bears and beyond.  If they do not spend significant resources to upgrade the offense this year we will all be pissed.  

You are wasting your time.

Rex Ryan has been in charge for 5 years. And that has been the passing game for this team mostly the entire time he has been HC.But what do I know? WE WON 8 GAMES. LET'S HAVE A PARTY!

Rex Ryan has been in charge for 5 years. And that has been the passing game for this team mostly the entire time he has been HC.But what do I know? WE WON 8 GAMES. LET'S HAVE A PARTY!

Rex Ryan.  Coach.  GM.  Party Planner.  

Offensive coordinators:  Schottenheimer, Sparano, Mornhinweg.  All have identical philosophies.  Obviously Rex and the team liked the direction on offense.  

Just watched the video again, you're not a sports fan if that video doesnt warm your heart and pleasure your soul.

Raw emotion.  Thats what the game is all about. 

The Rex and Idzik love turns me on.

Watching the video, it's hard not to feel good for Rex. I believe he is a genuinely good guy, and genuinely wants to win.

Watching the video, it's hard not to feel good for Rex. I believe he is a genuinely good guy, and genuinely wants to win.

His commitment and love for this team is unrivaled. 

Only the heartless, like TomShane, doesnt feel the emotion of that video.  It's as genuine as it gets.

His commitment and love for this team is unrivaled. 

Only the heartless, like TomShane, doesnt feel the emotion of that video.  It's as genuine as it gets.

I don't think I've ever seen a group of professional athletes so happy about anything in my life. It rivaled winning the Superbowl. That's the type of response that is going to catch attention of a lot of professionals around the league.

1-4 off the bye.

Then root for another team. 

Just re-watched the video and gotta admit I lol'd. 

There was a tad too much ebullience on the heels of a .500 season.  Not saying I expected to see an overabundance of lugubriousness but a slightly more measured reaction would have been appropriate.

Archived