Milliner Named Defensive Rookie of the Month

JetNation

Dee Milliner has been named Defensive Rookie of the Month for December.

Milliner came on strong after a slow start and was benched a few times along the way.  In December he showed why the Jets thought he was worthy of being drafted in the first round.

after the Jets win over the Dolphins.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MEdRG8HpujY

View the full article

This makes my day.

Both of our first rounders will eventually pay dividends for us. Milliner in year 2 is going to be a different player than he was in his first 8-10 games. Fans quickly forget, or choose to ignore, how hard the transition to the NFL is for certain positions.

it's like Rex said. By the end of the season Milliner will be looked at as the best rookie corner. Remember all that DJ Hayden BS? Rule number one of predicting the NFL draft, never underestimate the stupidity of the people making these picks. 

I've definitely noticed and have posted about his improvement, but this is probably a stretch.

Defensive player of the week wasn't a stretch, but I agree that this is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  Regardless, he has shown a marked improvement over the last quarter of the season.

I'm glad he has shown vast improvement and am actually encouraged by his play of late. I'm not going to question how he was handled, but at the end of the day just giving him a starting job out of the gate after missing a lot of camp and pre-season probably wasn't the smartest idea. Much like Geno.

LOL, people were trashing him all season and now they don't say anything. Learn a lesson and stop calling players a bust in their first couple of seasons. All the whining about the Coples/Milliner/Hill trio has been unbearable.

Coples has been hard to understand.

Milliner was a disaster and is now showing some signs, but still gets beaten fairly regularly.

Hill is a complete nightmare.

I'm glad he has shown vast improvement and am actually encouraged by his play of late. I'm not going to question how he was handled, but at the end of the day just giving him a starting job out of the gate after missing a lot of camp and pre-season probably wasn't the smartest idea. Much like Geno.

There's a chance they're going to dump Cro.  If they do, they need a new #1 CB.  Better to find out early on if he's up to the task rather than try and ease him into anything.  That's why you saw him lined up 1 on 1 against Gordon and Wallace to end the season.  His vastly improved play just gave Idzik some more wiggle room with regards to the Cro restructure negotiations. 

Meh. Both were benched during the course of the season, and both came on strong at the end of the year. Hard to have too much of a problem with the way they were brought along.

Coples is slowly evolving into a beast. He really made a bunch of eye popping plays this year.

I'm still on the fence with Dee. He did play better toward end of season but got also toasted more than a few times including one by Wallace in Mia.

His 1st int in the last game was odd.He made it look like the football was 1500 degrees as he was trying his best to fumble it but didnt.

Hill? no no no..........not pro a football player.

Milliner was a disaster and is now showing some signs, but still gets beaten fairly regularly.

I don't think Coples has been hard to understand at all. He had a pretty good rookie season. At the beginning of his sophomore season, he was hurt and making a position transition. About halfway through the season, he started making more plays. If anything, the signs all point up on Coples.

Milliner is playing one of the hardest positions to adjust to in the change from college to the NFL. He had injuries early on, missed much of training camp, and took until the last quarter of the season to turn it on. He's not Revis, but it's way too early to call him a bust.

Hill has suffered a lot of injuries, and he has 1 more year to prove himself.

I don't think Coples has been hard to understand at all. He had a pretty good rookie season. At the beginning of his sophomore season, he was hurt and making a position transition. About halfway through the season, he started making more plays. If anything, the signs all point up on Coples.

Milliner is playing one of the hardest positions to adjust to in the change from college to the NFL. He had injuries early on, missed much of training camp, and took until the last quarter of the season to turn it on. He's not Revis, but it's way too early to call him a bust.

Hill has suffered a lot of injuries, and he has 1 more year to prove himself.

The hate for Coples has been hard to understand is what I'm saying.  He's been a solid player IMO.

Milliner, he looked lost to a degree that was greater than the adversity he faced.  He's been better, but he still gets beaten regularly.  I'm a lot more hopeful now than I was early on.  But, he's got a long way to go.  But yes, it was too early to call him a bust.  That said, his play early on earned it.

Injuries are part of the picture.  When Hill isn't injured, he's not a good route runner and has suspect hands.  Guy wasn't a good college player, and he's simply following suit.

The hate for Coples has been hard to understand is what I'm saying.  He's been a solid player IMO.

Milliner, he looked lost to a degree that was greater than the adversity he faced.  He's been better, but he still gets beaten regularly.  I'm a lot more hopeful now than I was early on.  But, he's got a long way to go.  But yes, it was too early to call him a bust.  That said, his play early on earned it.

Injuries are part of the picture.  When Hill isn't injured, he's not a good route runner and has suspect hands.  Guy wasn't a good college player, and he's simply following suit.

OK, yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that.

Coples is hard to understand, agreed.

CB is one of the hardest positions to transition to as a rookie, let alone make an impact. You know better.

WR is one of those positions that takes 2-4 years to "get" at the pro level, unless the player is absolutely special. I think we've established Hill is not special, and may be on the 4 year plan, not the 2 year plan. Other than that, the whining about him is a bit over-stated. If we had a properly built roster, Hill wouldn't be expected to do anything other than mature at a normal pace, but because we have a roster full of crap... the demand on him is unrealistic at this stage of his development.

Coples is hard to understand, agreed.

CB is one of the hardest positions to transition to as a rookie, let alone make an impact. You know better.

WR is one of those positions that takes 2-4 years to "get" at the pro level, unless the player is absolutely special. I think we've established Hill is not special, and may be on the 4 year plan, not the 2 year plan. Other than that, the whining about him is a bit over-stated. If we had a properly built roster, Hill wouldn't be expected to do anything other than mature at a normal pace, but because we have a roster full of crap... the demand on him is unrealistic at this stage of his development.

I agree, and was hard no Milliner here and have been very vocal about his improvement too.  But, Milliner was exceptionally bad early on.  I get that the transition is hard, but he did NOTHING at all well in the beginning.

As for Hill... I just don't see anything to like.  I realize WR takes time too.  I'm not even screaming bust because he's a 2nd round project pick.  But, outside of the go-route, I just don't find myself impressed with any aspect of his game.

I've definitely noticed and have posted about his improvement, but this is probably a stretch.

It is a bit of a stretch I guess we will see next year if this kids got the goods. I was as vocal as anyone bashing the hell out of him because he did not seem to do well in the basic's which is covering a guy man to man. Missing assignments and not knowing the scheme is what you expect from a rookie not getting beat like a drum play after play. Hopefully a light went off and this kid takes the next step

It is a bit of a stretch I guess we will see next year if this kids got the goods. I was as vocal as anyone bashing the hell out of him because he did not seem to do well in the basic's which is covering a guy man to man. Missing assignments and not knowing the scheme is what you expect from a rookie not getting beat like a drum play after play. Hopefully a light went off and this kid takes the next step

The other thing that makes it a bit of a stretch was that despite his improvement, and a few impact plays, there wasn't a moment where he was the best defensive rookie on his team, let alone the league.

I find it very hard to believe that Milliner was the best rookie in the league for the month of December.  Yeah he caught a couple of balls and played better than the absolutely dreadful first 13 weeks of the season, but he still showed poor technique and was beaten fairly often.  Better, but not exactly good.  Yet.

Meh. Both were benched during the course of the season, and both came on strong at the end of the year. Hard to have too much of a problem with the way they were brought along.

Hindsight is 20/20but both could have used at least a few weeks on the bench and getting rotational reps in practice. Sanchez injury forced the hand of the coaching staff offensively, defensively it was trial by fire and it worked. I'm not sure that methodology works for everyone though.

The hate for Coples has been hard to understand is what I'm saying. He's been a solid player IMO.

Milliner, he looked lost to a degree that was greater than the adversity he faced. He's been better, but he still gets beaten regularly. I'm a lot more hopeful now than I was early on. But, he's got a long way to go. But yes, it was too early to call him a bust. That said, his play early on earned it.

Injuries are part of the picture. When Hill isn't injured, he's not a good route runner and has suspect hands. Guy wasn't a good college player, and he's simply following suit.

IMO, Coples needs to be in a three point stance. Seems to be where most of his better play came from.

I can't remember a corner improving as much as milner in one season,

he was playing like Tony Stargell for 3/4 of the season, and I thought he

was a bust, then he wins defensive awards to close out the season.

Congratulations Dee.  Dee Milner "The Hammer"

I agree, and was hard no Milliner here and have been very vocal about his improvement too.  But, Milliner was exceptionally bad early on.  I get that the transition is hard, but he did NOTHING at all well in the beginning.

As for Hill... I just don't see anything to like.  I realize WR takes time too.  I'm not even screaming bust because he's a 2nd round project pick.  But, outside of the go-route, I just don't find myself impressed with any aspect of his game.

Fair enough. :)

Every single CB in the NFL gets beat regularly, only exception to this was 2009 D. Revis, and we as Jets fans were spoiled by this, some people think every player needs to be an all pro from game 1, or they suck, and should be cut, it's a ******* joke, it takes time to adjust in the NFL, some do it quicker, some don't miss all of their 1st offseason because of an injury, it's this thinking that makes the Jets fan base seam like one of the worst in the NFL, and why the media spins their articles in a negative way, it's what the Jets fan wants, and so they will give them it to sell papers, followers, or whatever it is they sell now a days.

Archived