Of couches and stadiums

Bugg

You take away tailgating and that is the end of large crowds at games.

Its simple, how many familys can afford to take there kids to games at the prices?   Not a lot and if the can they only do one or two games a year.

Your crowds come from the people that go without young kids and go there every sun to meet up with other friends and hang in the parking lot and tailgate.

You definitely can't afford to pay inside prices at the stadium.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it boils down to cost and access, drunks don't bother me really at all, even if bringing my kids. I don't think everything needs to be sanitized in the interest of protecting children, those who have children and are concerned are free not to attend. Perhaps they could have no alcohol sections similar to no smoking black jack tables for the easily offended

The bigger issue to me is spend $500+ to drive 1.5 hrs each way , stand in lines, sit in traffic in the lot, too hot in the summer, to cold in the winter, lines for bathroom and beers.. etc.. all for about 11 minutes of action.. it seems absurd. The last game I went to also had a 45 minute walk to my car for some reason, it was just not worth it from a purely logistics level. I was offered free tickets to a giants game in december, decent seats.. wasn't interested. More aggravation then it's worth

I don't drink and I have had season tickets since 1988.  I have been bringing my son for the last 14 years and I agree with what you wrote.  He was like 5 or so when he started going. Whenever some drunk got out of control near us I would say do you see that?  He would say yeah, and I would say that is exactly how not to act when you get older.  Never really had a problem.  

Like I said in my other post, I just get annoyed when they are getting up every 2 minutes for bathroom runs and making me miss a play or watch it on the big screen.

To be honest, despite the money, I very much prefer watching a game from home. Living out east on LI, a 1PM game basically is an all day event. We have to leave very early to beat the rush in, then we have to wait a few hours to avoid the traffic getting out of Jersey. By the time we get home, it's 9:00 at night, and then there's the cleanup of the grills. It's just a very long day. Factor in the cost of tickets, parking, tolls, and concessions, and it all gets very expensive.

Meanwhile, watching at home I can sleep in, drink as much as I want from my dual tap kegerator, and not have to deal with traffic or tolls. Plus I watch the game in HD with surround sound. And it costs nothing.

Oh, and the only cursing drunkard I have to deal with is me.

It's fun to go to a game once in a while, but I couldn't do it every week. Not worth it.

I just hate not being able to see everything.  Like when an injured player is on the bench vs in the locker room.  Or when you want to see what the players are in and they don't show it.  And having the announcers dumb it down gets to me.  Like they never talk about backup players etc.

High def makes this better but until they have an All 22 live feed, I will still be going each week.

I just hate not being able to see everything. Like when an injured player is on the bench vs in the locker room. Or when you want to see what the players are in and they don't show it. And having the announcers dumb it down gets to me. Like they never talk about backup players etc.

High def makes this better but until they have an All 22 live feed, I will still be going each week.

It's a matter of preference I guess. I like being at home for the games.

Also, I don't mind most of the announcers. Although I'll admit listening to Mike Mayock is excruciating. Occasionally I'll turn down the TV volume, and listen to Wischusen call the game on the radio.

It's a matter of preference I guess. I like being at home for the games.

Also, I don't mind most of the announcers. Although I'll admit listening to Mike Mayock is excruciating. Occasionally I'll turn down the TV volume, and listen to Wischusen call the game on the radio.

I see others have said the same thing, I actually like him a lot though.  I find him insightful...

I just hate not being able to see everything.  Like when an injured player is on the bench vs in the locker room.  Or when you want to see what the players are in and they don't show it.  And having the announcers dumb it down gets to me.  Like they never talk about backup players etc.

This all depends on where you sit and who is around you.  I've been to various sporting events over the years where I pretty much missed half the game because I couldn't see anything or people around me were to drunk and annoying.    There are other times where I've been in luxury and had free food, drinks, nice conversations, and saw most of the game.     Other times I've been at games where I did get to see every injury, every conversation and so on.    

I think for most people,  they are sitting in areas where they would probably see more at home compared to what they'd see at a game.  

So, there is no middle ground between prohibition and prohibiting public intoxication in your view?

I know it's really important to say F U to anything perceived as PC, but your view seems a bit extreme.

This is not about PC, it's about personal freedoms and not advocating a police state. I am in favor of things like happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas*, there's a difference between respecting individuals as equals and treating everyone like criminals

In your first post you suggested everyone breathes in a breathalyzer before entering stadium... and in the second one you accused me of having the extreme views. I don't understand how anyone could think I'm the extreme one here???

*just happens to be top of mind cause there's the annual bickering going on about in FB

This is not about PC, it's about personal freedoms and not advocating a police state. I have no problem with things like happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas, there's a difference between respecting individuals as equals and treating everyone like criminals

In your first post you suggested everyone breathes in a breathalyzer before entering stadium... and in the second one you accused me of having the extreme views. I don't understand how anyone could think I'm the extreme one here???

all that has to happen is the morons acting like assholes need to  just stop it and respect the personal freedoms of the people around them trying to enjoy a football game with their kids without having to explain what a mother****ing c**ks***er is

This is not about PC, it's about personal freedoms and not advocating a police state. I have no problem with things like happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas, there's a difference between respecting individuals as equals and treating everyone like criminals

This is a private facility.  Not a public park.  Bars are required and expected to refuse entry and service to anyone who is deemed intoxicated.  They're also expected to arrange for cabs for those who appear too intoxicated to drive.  And, bars require you to be 21 to enter.  There are no age restrictions on a stadium and seemingly, no restrictions on public intoxication.  A bar with one bouncer is also probably a safer place than a stadium when it comes to disorderly behavior that comes with the level of intoxication.  

And, I would probably not breathalyze everyone.  I'd profile.  Because, it works.  And, you wouldn't even have to actually do this, the threat should be enough.

Question... Do you go to games and see what goes on there?  Or, is this an overarching philosophy?  Because, it's rare that I go to a game that there isn't a fight of some kind, or a situation in which, were it to take place in a bar or restaurant, wouldn't lead to the person getting at best, kicked out, and at worst arrested.

Notify an usher. It's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be. You're never going to eliminate cursing at a football game. Tailgating either.

the spontaneous f bomb dropped after a turnover is to be expected.  I was referring to a drunken fool going on a red-faced rant with spit coming out of his mouth after a routing failed 3rd and 7.

the spontaneous f bomb dropped after a turnover is to be expected. I was referring to a drunken fool going on a red-faced rant with spit coming out of his mouth after a routing failed 3rd and 7.

I agree but that's been going on at Jets games since the 70's.

all that has to happen is the morons acting like assholes need to  just stop it and respect the personal freedoms of the people around them trying to enjoy a football game with their kids without having to explain what a mother****ing c**ks***er is

There are a lot of people who get legally drunk at NFL games who do not act like idiots and have a designated driver. Unfortunately there is increasinlgy large segment of those who attend who think it's license to act like an animal. Don;t think that justifies the intrusion of breathlyzing everyone. it takes forever to get inside the stadium already.

Tailgating at least at the Meadowlands does seem to add something to the problem. In Charlotte and Chicago anyway people go to a bar or restaurant or a paid party outside the stadium and walk to the game.In retrospect would have been way better if the new stadium was on 12th Avenue instead of NJ for a whole lot of reasons. But the big one is nobody would bother to drive. Every other new stadium and arena in the area figured public transportation instead of driving was critical, leave it to Woody and the Jints owners to cling to this suburban ugliness.

To be honest, despite the money, I very much prefer watching a game from home. Living out east on LI, a 1PM game basically is an all day event. We have to leave very early to beat the rush in, then we have to wait a few hours to avoid the traffic getting out of Jersey. By the time we get home, it's 9:00 at night, and then there's the cleanup of the grills. It's just a very long day. Factor in the cost of tickets, parking, tolls, and concessions, and it all gets very expensive.

Meanwhile, watching at home I can sleep in, drink as much as I want from my dual tap kegerator, and not have to deal with traffic or tolls. Plus I watch the game in HD with surround sound. And it costs nothing.

Oh, and the only cursing drunkard I have to deal with is me.

It's fun to go to a game once in a while, but I couldn't do it every week. Not worth it.

You have a dual tap kegerator? WOW, I'm envious. Dare I ask what BREW comes out of this kegerator?

I agree but that's been going on at Jets games since the 70's.

true, we have gotten away from the biggest issue, the cost going/TV experience ratio.  I'm currently looking at moving from my 14 year old CRT tv to a modern flat screen smart TV.   I may never leave the house again 

true, we have gotten away from the biggest issue, the cost going/TV experience ratio. I'm currently looking at moving from my 14 year old CRT tv to a modern flat screen smart TV. I may never leave the house again

I did. I didn't attend one game this season except the giants/jets preseason game. Can't beat the tv and the redzone.

The Jets not scoring points leads to restless fans too.

There are a lot of people who get legally drunk at NFL games who do not act like idiots and have a designated driver. Unfortunately there is increasinlgy large segment of those who attend who think it's license to act like an animal. Don;t think that justifies the intrusion of breathlyzing everyone. it takes forever to get inside the stadium already.

Tailgating at least at the Meadowlands does seem to add something to the problem. In Charlotte and Chicago anyway people go to a bar or restaurant or a paid party outside the stadium and walk to the game.In retrospect would have been way better if the new stadium was on 12th Avenue instead of NJ for a whole lot of reasons. But the big one is nobody would bother to drive. Every other new stadium and arena in the area figured public transportation instead of driving was critical, leave it to Woody and the Jints owners to cling to this suburban ugliness.

sure not every one is the idiot, maybe 1 out of 300.  I was thinking about the WSS last night, how cool it would be to have the SB there

I did. I didn't attend one game this season except the giants/jets preseason game. Can't beat the tv and the redzone.

The Jets not scoring points leads to restless fans too.

oh, the jets factor is real, lol

I almost got my TV blackfriday, but didn't want to end up on youtube .  my kids set up the wii internet on my old TV a few months ago, and they watch youtube and have Netflix on it

can't imagine what a smart TV is like

You should move to island of utopia where people are perfect and do not use curse words or drink alcohol or do any other activity you find unsavory

This all depends on where you sit and who is around you.  I've been to various sporting events over the years where I pretty much missed half the game because I couldn't see anything or people around me were to drunk and annoying.    There are other times where I've been in luxury and had free food, drinks, nice conversations, and saw most of the game.     Other times I've been at games where I did get to see every injury, every conversation and so on.    

I think for most people,  they are sitting in areas where they would probably see more at home compared to what they'd see at a game.  

Which is why I like my seats, lots of season ticket holders around and for the most part everyone is great.  When you have people like that it is easy to police those that get out of control.  Basically I start yelling at them and everyone backs me up lol.

It does depend on the section though, agreed.

Notify an usher. It's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be. You're never going to eliminate cursing at a football game. Tailgating either.

I have never done it but they let you text complaints in now as well.

This is a private facility.  Not a public park.  Bars are required and expected to refuse entry and service to anyone who is deemed intoxicated.  They're also expected to arrange for cabs for those who appear too intoxicated to drive.  And, bars require you to be 21 to enter.  There are no age restrictions on a stadium and seemingly, no restrictions on public intoxication.  A bar with one bouncer is also probably a safer place than a stadium when it comes to disorderly behavior that comes with the level of intoxication.  

And, I would probably not breathalyze everyone.  I'd profile.  Because, it works.  And, you wouldn't even have to actually do this, the threat should be enough.

Question... Do you go to games and see what goes on there?  Or, is this an overarching philosophy?  Because, it's rare that I go to a game that there isn't a fight of some kind, or a situation in which, were it to take place in a bar or restaurant, wouldn't lead to the person getting at best, kicked out, and at worst arrested.

We live in some a reactionary world that this is actually only a matter of time.  A fan leaves a stadium drunk and a horrific crash happens as a result. 

The NFL reacts the way they always do, by cracking down.

Yeah, this too. And generally if the idiot is being enough of a problem they'll remove him no questions asked.

There is power in numbers.  If you get a bunch of people all accusing one person of something, those security guards really don't ask questions you are right.  Especially if the other person is wearing a Patriots or Dolphins jersey.  :)

Yes I go to games. I have been to over 100 games and over 200 concerts, I've seen about 1 fight. But mostly this is an overarching philosophy, millions of people attend sporting events every year. The vast majority make it out unscathed, The unfortunately reality is that there will always be people doing bad things, it's inevitable. You can try and prevent it by giving away all your freedoms and privacy but you won't be successful and the cost is too great.

You should move to island of utopia where people are perfect and do not use curse words or drink alcohol or do any other activity you find unsavory

and lose all my personal freedom ?

I'm outraged !  you Nazi !!!!

maybe the assholes should stop being assholes

Archived