NFL Playoffs thread

T0mShane

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan better get the game ball

Nah the Eagles haven't really been lighting it up on offense the past few games.  Remember they only beat the Cowboys with that bad defense and Kyle Orton as QB 24-22.   Good job for sure on defense, but the Eagles have not been as explosive as they were earlier in the season.

Nah the Eagles haven't really been lighting it up on offense the past few games. Remember they only beat the Cowboys with that bad defense and Kyle Orton as QB 24-22. Good job for sure on defense, but the Eagles have not been as explosive as they were earlier in the season.

Rob Ryan carried that team on his back in the first half and fought through injuries in the second half. Gritty performance by Rob

All I know is while the Chiefs struggled down the stretch due to some injuries and had some bad games,  the team had one of the top 10 defenses in the NFL all year long. Hell they were a team that held opponents to under 17 points a game for most of the season.       The fact they lost 45-44 kind of tells you why you need an offense in the NFL these days.   

And we can say it's about talent, but the Chiefs best player on Offense,  Charles, missed most of the game and they still scored 44 points.      

This is the problem I see the Jets always having.   They have to win 20-17 games, otherwise they pretty much don't win.       

Would they have choked like KC today?  No, but last time I checked,  they gave up a hell of a lot of points to the Bills and Dolphins and Steelers this season. Only difference was the Jets couldn't score and those games were blow out losses.

All I know is while the Chiefs struggled down the stretch due to some injuries and had some bad games,  the team had one of the top 10 defenses in the NFL all year long. Hell they were a team that held opponents to under 17 points a game for most of the season.       The fact they lost 45-44 kind of tells you why you need an offense in the NFL these days.   

And we can say it's about talent, but the Chiefs best player on Offense,  Charles, missed most of the game and they still scored 44 points.      

This is the problem I see the Jets always having.   They have to win 20-17 games, otherwise they pretty much don't win.       

Would they have choked like KC today?  No, but last time I checked,  they gave up a hell of a lot of points to the Bills and Dolphins and Steelers this season. Only difference was the Jets couldn't score and those games were blow out losses.

Jets this year won games by scores of:

27-20

30-28

30-27

26-20

37-27

5 of the Jets' 8 games they won when the opponent put up 20 points or more, with the Jets scoring 26+.  This was with a project, rookie QB nowhere near ready to start week 1 and a group of crappy receivers to throw to (hardly any of whom could play for a month straight before missing weeks at a time).

Give it a rest already.  You've managed to rationalize how everything that went wrong is indicative of stupidity and suckiness, while everything that went right is indicative of luck and only playing teams that weren't trying.  Like every other team in the playoffs this year played (and won) against nothing but other teams who were outstanding and trying hard every game.  Most of the Jets' wins came with the team scoring 26+ and none of our wins came with the Jets scoring under 20.

If not for a ridiculous 3-interception 4th Q from our unready rookie QB in his 2nd NFL start, we'd have beaten the Pats in week 2.  That awful 4th Q was what it took for a "proper" winning team to squeak out a 13-10 victory against the worst team in football.  So they shouldn't get credit for the win, I guess.

NE's season:

Week 1 barely beat the Bills.  Bills were awful, so this win doesn't count.

Week 2 barely beat the Jets by scoring only 13 points.  Doesn't count because this is the 21st century.

Week 3 beat Tampa.  Tampa lost their first 8 games so they shouldn't pat themselves on the backs for this.

Week 4 beat Atlanta.  Atlanta sucked so it doesn't count like their other weak wins to date.

Week 5 lost to the Bengals 13-6.  Finally they play a quality team and this is what happens.  6 points.

Week 6 "beat" the Saints after their left tackle put some Saints defender in a headlock right in front of a ref with no call. 

Week 7 lost to the Jets in OT.  Horribly coached team was warned about pushing into the line.  Also the Jets suck.  Doesn't count.

Week 8 beat Miami.  But Miami had already lost their prior 3 games so they were on a slide anyway.  Doesn't count.

Week 9 beat up on the 2-5 Steelers who almost lost to Oakland the week before.  Not impressed. 

Week 10 bye

Week 11 lost to Carolina after a bye week to prepare.  Again, they lose when they actually play a quality team.  Their choking HC blew a 4th Q lead to boot.

Week 12 beat Denver 34-31. Hallelujah.

Week 13 beat the Texans by three.  Houston sucked and was already eliminated so it's another win that doesn't really count.

Week 14 barely beat Cleveland on a stupid-lucky ending.  A good team wouldn't have let it be this close against such a terrible opponent.

Week 15 beat the Ravens, who themselves hadn't beaten anyone worthwhile in months. Also the Ravens were in the midst of choking away the season.

Week 16 beat the Bills again.  Buffalo was already eliminated, and sucked, so this final win also shouldn't even count.

So there you have it.  New England only had 1 decent win all season.  Every other game was either a win that shouldn't even count because of the weakness of their opponent, or was a loss from choking or bad coaching or because they actually played someone decent.

See how easy this is?  I'll bet I could do this for pretty much every playoff team.

Funny the Chiefs started 9-0 playing 8 teams that pick in the top 10, finished the season 2-5, and were ranked 25th in yards against on D, their D was not as good as their PA suggested, and when facing a real O they got exposed.

And to blame this loss on the D is wrong anyway, this was Andy Reid at his best, all he has to do is run the clock out in the 3rd quarter, but instead he tries to outsmart the world.

My takeway form yesterday is if you have a good QB you are never really out of the game. And if the Eagles had left less time on the clock with their last score or somehow got more time, Foles might've made a difference too. The Eagles' defense was touted as very good down the stretch, but later in the game they gave in. As others have noted, the Chiefs defense was probably not as good as their early season success and they weren't a match for Luck.

One thing with the Eagles' game; crazy as it sounds they might've been better off if they let the Saints score a TD at about the 2 minute mark and got the ball back. But NFL football teams rarely think like that.

Jets this year won games by scores of:

27-20

30-28

30-27

26-20

37-27

5 of the Jets' 8 games they won when the opponent put up 20 points or more, with the Jets scoring 26+.  This was with a project, rookie QB nowhere near ready to start week 1 and a group of crappy receivers to throw to (hardly any of whom could play for a month straight before missing weeks at a time).

Give it a rest already.  You've managed to rationalize how everything that went wrong is indicative of stupidity and suckiness, while everything that went right is indicative of luck and only playing teams that weren't trying.  Like every other team in the playoffs this year played (and won) against nothing but other teams who were outstanding and trying hard every game.  Most of the Jets' wins came with the team scoring 26+ and none of our wins came with the Jets scoring under 20.

If not for a ridiculous 3-interception 4th Q from our unready rookie QB in his 2nd NFL start, we'd have beaten the Pats in week 2.  That awful 4th Q was what it took for a "proper" winning team to squeak out a 13-10 victory against the worst team in football.  So they shouldn't get credit for the win, I guess.

BAM!!

+1,000,000

Was right with Indy and Saints Saturday. So i am sure I will be wrong today. I go with Bengals and San Fran. I see the SD game being ugly ,with a Cinncy in 30s, SD with 14 or less.

49 ers game hard as hell w/weather factor but I just think SF is that much overall better and will find a way somehow. Kap will have to run a lot to keep game close. If Kap gets close to 70 yds rushing, SF wins.

The coach took huge leaps forward this year, and if you didn't see that your blinded by your bias.

Bias against what? Against whom? I like Rex. I liked the hire originally. I want him to be successful because that means the Jets are successful. He hasn't been in a long time.

And if you think that he took huge leaps forward then you weren't in the stands in Buffalo to see the Jets get thoroughly embarrassed by an inferior team, with the playoffs in sight and coming off of a bye week. Period.

The weather today in NYC has to be the real nightmare scenario fo the NFL; freezing rain turning to ice the second it hits the ground. The streets and sidewalks are as slippery as ice rinks. This would be a traffic and even pedestrian nightmare.

Archived