Remember back when Rex Ryan Said.....

Villain The Foe

That we had an A+ draft class midway through the season? Now that we're at the end of the season do you think he was right? 

#1. Sheldon Richardson was the best rookie on either side of the ball. Post Mock drafts have Sheldon going #1 in the draft and he's expected to win DROTY rather convincingly. 

#2. Dee Milliner had a very slow start, and thats putting it lightly. To his credit, he did miss off season workouts, was injured when he was drafted, had surgery and didnt seem 100%. After being benched 2 or 3 times this year he exploded on the scene in the month of december being named defensive rookie of the month and defensive player of the week in week 17. His last two opponents?  #1. Josh Gordon being arguably the best WR in the league at the time had 6 catches for 97 yards but was targeted 16 times during the game in which Milliner had 5 Passes Defended, 1 INT and didnt allow a TD. #2. Mike Wallace, the Dolphins latest big time free agent pick up had 5 catches for just 25 yards and 1TD. Wallace was targeted 12 times  in which Milliner had 5 Passes Defended and 2 INTs. 

#3. Geno Smith had a very inconsistent season with his best performance possibly being the monday night game against ATL where he threw for 3TD's and a 147.7 passer rating. Geno also ended the month of December on a high note completing almost 60% of his passes, throwing 4 TD's, rushing for 3TD's, an avg Passer Rating of 83.2 (averaged 66.5 on the year), an avg QBR of 74 (averaged a terrible 35.9 on the year) and going 3-1 in his last 4 games. To Geno's credit, much of his problems came from the fact that he literally had no supporting talent on offense outside of Jeremy Kerley in the passing game. Goes to show why when Kerley got hurt in November it was also when Geno had his worst quarter of football all year. Kerley got hurt in the New Orleans Game on 11/3 and came back against Oak on 12/8. Geno the entire season had atleast double digit completions in every single game. The month that Kerley got hurt Geno didnt have 1 double digit completion game. Geno also had 0 TD's and threw 5 INTS and the Jets lost every game that Kerley didnt play in. When Kerley got back on the field in December Geno had 7TD's and just 2INTs and the Jets went 3-1 to end the sea on. My opinion is that if Kerley didnt get hurt in November the Jets would have made the playoffs (Just one more win would have made that happen). It also shows how important it is to provide talent to your QB and why I feel Geno will have a much better 2014 season if we provide talent. 

#4. Brian Winters had a very shaky season but if you ask me, anything was better than Vlad Ducasse. Winters was yet another Jet rookie who had a pretty good ending in December. His last two games he gave up no sacks and I believe no QB hits and had a few key blocks on run plays which required him to get to the 2nd level. 

What do you think of Rex Ryan's comments today and what would you grade the rookies right now? I would give them a B+. Richardson has been an A+ all season, even providing some offensive firepower in goaline situations for scores. However, Winters and expecially Milliner were late bloomers coming on strong in December. Im not too sure about Winters in regards to consistency but as for Milliner, the way he just exploded onto the scene makes me feel that it was the lack of reps, the transition to the pro level and him getting over his injury which was the reason for such the slow start. His decision making the month of December shows that the kid was simply making plays on his own. He was even adjusting, covering for the safety mistakes in order to make INT's. This is a guy who showed that he's the real deal. So Id' give Winters a C+ and Milliner a B because you can clearly see the talent now. 

As for Geno,  I feel like the first half the season was him getting familiar with the pro level. 6 of those 9 games he completed 55% of his passes, and of those 6 games 3 games he completes over 60% of his passes, and of those 3 games he had 1 game where he completes 80%. If you really look at it for what it was at the time Geno was putting together a nice rookie season for a QB with no targets outside of a very good #3 WR. Then catastrophe strikes after going 5-4. His only consistent go-to receiver, Kerley gets hurt. Geno completion percentage plummets the next four games to 42%, 38%, 40% & 40% and the Jets go 1-3. Once Geno gets his only reliable and consistent receiver back on the field his numbers shoot right back up to where they were. His last for games he completes 64%, 53%, 55% & 63% and the Jets go 3-1. This lets me know that just alittle talent thrown Geno's way can go pretty far, how about a 20% jump in completion percentage! Given the circumstance I will give Geno a B. 

That my friends boils down to a B+ for me and I think when we look back on this draft in 2017 we'll see that much of the core of the football team came from this draft class. 

Just too early to tell.  Assuming that everyone stays healthy, Sheldon is the only lock imo.  Everyone else still has a lot to prove.  Milliner looks like he will be a good pick.  Geno?  Not even sure if he will be the starter next year.

I am hoping Geno turns this into an A.

It would be nice if they walked away with 2 offensive lineman that can help them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  That would have been an A+.

It takes at least a few years to grade a draft class overall especially when guys like the linemen from VT and Michigan were MIA. But the potential here is high. Of the players you mentioned above I have the least faith in Winters which is why if the top 3 receivers are gone by our first pick we should look to improve the line. Brick and Mangold aren't getting any younger and Colon isn't the long term solution.

Don't forget William Campbell, he played D line in college so Rex probably scouted him and he'll likely soon be a pro bowler. He spent the year transitioning from D line to O line, I expect big things

Don't get me wrong I love optimism just as much as the next guy but "soon be a pro bowler"?? We haven't even seen the kid suit up yet let alone play the position.

it's unknown. Richardson looks good, but other than that, they are all unknowns and for most of the season weren't very good.   It's nice Winters, Geno and Milliner all came togehter and had a couple of decent games to end the season, but for the Jets, those games were meaningless.  Maybe meaningful to them, but in the bigger picture, they had nothing to play for but their own jobs.     And they played a bunch of teams who seemed to have given up.   If the Dolphins scored 40 points against the Bills the week before, it would have been impressive.  But the Bills shut out the Dolphins the week before so was it really Milliner who stepped up or did the Dolphins just choke?   I mean they really looked like an awful team the last two weeks when all they needed to do was win two games and get into the playoffs.

Kind of reminded me of the Jets when all they needed to do was win most of their games to close the season against many bad teams.   Instead the jets came off the bye and got blown out against teams like the Bills and Dolphins.    So I'm glad he improved, but who knows what it means.  It could just be that the Jets played the Raiders and Browns who just sucked down the stretch and they played a Dolphins team who couldn't handle the pressure.   And that Panthers game, I wouldn't say anybody on the Jets played all that well.

I hope all of them improve, but really,  Richardson was the only good pick who had a decent season.   The rest of the guys had a couple of decent games to close out the season and that's it.        Ray Lucas had a couple of great games to close out a season once to.

Don't get me wrong I love optimism just as much as the next guy but "soon be a pro bowler"?? We haven't even seen the kid suit up yet let alone play the position.

Rex has an impeccable eye for talent in the trenches and an unparalleled record in their development.

I hope all of them improve, but really,  Richardson was the only good pick who had a decent season.   The rest of the guys had a couple of decent games to close out the season and that's it.        Ray Lucas had a couple of great games to close out a season once to.

I would say that Richardson's season was better than 'decent.'

it's unknown. Richardson looks good, but other than that, they are all unknowns and for most of the season weren't very good.   It's nice Winters, Geno and Milliner all came togehter and had a couple of decent games to end the season, but for the Jets, those games were meaningless.  Maybe meaningful to them, but in the bigger picture, they had nothing to play for but their own jobs.     And they played a bunch of teams who seemed to have given up.   If the Dolphins scored 40 points against the Bills the week before, it would have been impressive.  But the Bills shut out the Dolphins the week before so was it really Milliner who stepped up or did the Dolphins just choke?   I mean they really looked like an awful team the last two weeks when all they needed to do was win two games and get into the playoffs.

Kind of reminded me of the Jets when all they needed to do was win most of their games to close the season against many bad teams.   Instead the jets came off the bye and got blown out against teams like the Bills and Dolphins.    So I'm glad he improved, but who knows what it means.  It could just be that the Jets played the Raiders and Browns who just sucked down the stretch and they played a Dolphins team who couldn't handle the pressure.   And that Panthers game, I wouldn't say anybody on the Jets played all that well.

Games are meaningless to a franchise with a losers mentality. The Jets certainly have fans with that mentality. Im glad Idzik, Rex and the players are far from that ideology. Cant help the SOJFans though. 

we got good depth out of this draft and two maybe 3 playmakers Winters did get better dont forget this kid was a OT not a guard. with a offseason he will get stronger.as for Geno i do think with more talent this kid could be good,when his only reciever that is any good was there Geno played well, but time will tell

Just too early to tell.  Assuming that everyone stays healthy, Sheldon is the only lock imo.  Everyone else still has a lot to prove.  Milliner looks like he will be a good pick.  Geno?  Not even sure if he will be the starter next year.

I am hoping Geno turns this into an A.

It would be nice if they walked away with 2 offensive lineman that can help them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  That would have been an A+.

the two lineman we drafted are playing diferent positions that they played in school one played OT and the other played DT  they might need some more time to develop dont you think?

Richardson is going to be a Pro Bowler.  Great pick 

Milliner did come alive the last two games.  Guy has all kinds of natural talent this will be a big offseason for him.  he has to stay healthy.

Winters was one of the worst OG I have seen since Adrian Clark.  IMO he disrupted the play of the left side of the OL.  Guy just doesn't seem to have any upper body strength.  He did have a good game against the Fish, so maybe that's a good sign.  Think he needs to spend the entire offseason in the weight room, perhaps with that he can develop into a legit OL.  I'd be looking for a vet OG just in case.

I'm not sold on Smith at all.  He did play better the last two weeks, That isn't saying much, but he didn't turn the ball over, and made some good plays with his legs.  He didn't hurt the Jets the last two weeks, but to me he still didn't look like an NFL QB.

Maybe he'll improve if he works real hard in the off season, but they better bring in some serious veteran competition for him.  Don't know where that might come from at this point, but don't want to spend another season watching what he put out there this year.

As I said before the draft, if they took him at 9 or 13 I would have been sick.  At 39 he had value.  The bad thing was the Jets didn't have anyone to go in when he was stinking the place up.  Wish him luck, and hope he's a franchise QB next year, but they better have a plan B in place because I'm not real confident

Tommy Bohanon worked out well as a 7th round pick.

Yeah, he can't be left out. The rest of the guys selected between Winters and Bohannon could end up being quality depth too, who nows. Unless you are talking about Vlad Ducasse, it's not too much to expect OL and DL depth to be developed from late rounders. I'm not talking starting quality, but competent backups, yes, maybe... 

Richardson most certainly earns himself an A.  I'd give Bohanon a B.  Beyond that, there were some things to be happy with, but nothing particularly spectacular.  Given their late season surges, I'd say that relative to their draft positions Milliner, Geno, and Winters probably are worthy of somewhere in the C/C- range, especially when you consider the draft slot / positions of the latter two aren't exactly where you'd expect a rookie starter.  The rest all get absolutely nothing but a big ole "incomplete".  Overall I'd probably say C+/B- for now, with that obviously being able to drastically change depending on how these guys all continue to develop.  If Milliner, Geno, and Winters play at the same or a similar level going forward their grades definitely go way down.

That we had an A+ draft class midway through the season? Now that we're at the end of the season do you think he was right? 

#1. Sheldon Richardson was the best rookie on either side of the ball. Post Mock drafts have Sheldon going #1 in the draft and he's expected to win DROTY rather convincingly. 

#2. Dee Milliner had a very slow start, and thats putting it lightly. To his credit, he did miss off season workouts, was injured when he was drafted, had surgery and didnt seem 100%. After being benched 2 or 3 times this year he exploded on the scene in the month of december being named defensive rookie of the month and defensive player of the week in week 17. His last two opponents?  #1. Josh Gordon being arguably the best WR in the league at the time had 6 catches for 97 yards but was targeted 16 times during the game in which Milliner had 5 Passes Defended, 1 INT and didnt allow a TD. #2. Mike Wallace, the Dolphins latest big time free agent pick up had 5 catches for just 25 yards and 1TD. Wallace was targeted 12 times  in which Milliner had 5 Passes Defended and 2 INTs. 

#3. Geno Smith had a very inconsistent season with his best performance possibly being the monday night game against ATL where he threw for 3TD's and a 147.7 passer rating. Geno also ended the month of December on a high note completing almost 60% of his passes, throwing 4 TD's, rushing for 3TD's, an avg Passer Rating of 83.2 (averaged 66.5 on the year), an avg QBR of 74 (averaged a terrible 35.9 on the year) and going 3-1 in his last 4 games. To Geno's credit, much of his problems came from the fact that he literally had no supporting talent on offense outside of Jeremy Kerley in the passing game. Goes to show why when Kerley got hurt in November it was also when Geno had his worst quarter of football all year. Kerley got hurt in the New Orleans Game on 11/3 and came back against Oak on 12/8. Geno the entire season had atleast double digit completions in every single game. The month that Kerley got hurt Geno didnt have 1 double digit completion game. Geno also had 0 TD's and threw 5 INTS and the Jets lost every game that Kerley didnt play in. When Kerley got back on the field in December Geno had 7TD's and just 2INTs and the Jets went 3-1 to end the sea on. My opinion is that if Kerley didnt get hurt in November the Jets would have made the playoffs (Just one more win would have made that happen). It also shows how important it is to provide talent to your QB and why I feel Geno will have a much better 2014 season if we provide talent. 

#4. Brian Winters had a very shaky season but if you ask me, anything was better than Vlad Ducasse. Winters was yet another Jet rookie who had a pretty good ending in December. His last two games he gave up no sacks and I believe no QB hits and had a few key blocks on run plays which required him to get to the 2nd level. 

What do you think of Rex Ryan's comments today and what would you grade the rookies right now? I would give them a B+. Richardson has been an A+ all season, even providing some offensive firepower in goaline situations for scores. However, Winters and expecially Milliner were late bloomers coming on strong in December. Im not too sure about Winters in regards to consistency but as for Milliner, the way he just exploded onto the scene makes me feel that it was the lack of reps, the transition to the pro level and him getting over his injury which was the reason for such the slow start. His decision making the month of December shows that the kid was simply making plays on his own. He was even adjusting, covering for the safety mistakes in order to make INT's. This is a guy who showed that he's the real deal. So Id' give Winters a C+ and Milliner a B because you can clearly see the talent now. 

As for Geno,  I feel like the first half the season was him getting familiar with the pro level. 6 of those 9 games he completed 55% of his passes, and of those 6 games 3 games he completes over 60% of his passes, and of those 3 games he had 1 game where he completes 80%. If you really look at it for what it was at the time Geno was putting together a nice rookie season for a QB with no targets outside of a very good #3 WR. Then catastrophe strikes after going 5-4. His only consistent go-to receiver, Kerley gets hurt. Geno completion percentage plummets the next four games to 42%, 38%, 40% & 40% and the Jets go 1-3. Once Geno gets his only reliable and consistent receiver back on the field his numbers shoot right back up to where they were. His last for games he completes 64%, 53%, 55% & 63% and the Jets go 3-1. This lets me know that just alittle talent thrown Geno's way can go pretty far, how about a 20% jump in completion percentage! Given the circumstance I will give Geno a B. 

That my friends boils down to a B+ for me and I think when we look back on this draft in 2017 we'll see that much of the core of the football team came from this draft class. 

I think David Nelson coming on also provided a solid target for Geno.... and don't forget to add Ivory into that Draft class. Cost us a #4. Idzik parlayed that into " Beast Mode Jr". If the guy can stay on the field and hone his skills as a receiver, he can be a very important piece for us moving forward.

Good job by Idzik in this draft. Solid "B" as things stand now. A+ if Geno and Millner show growth next year

The draft is not a failure because there are 5 new starters. The real results will come out at the end of 2014 season. Depends on how every one, especially Geno and Dee improves and if Sheldon is able to sustain his level of play.

I agree Geno had no supporting cast. Look at week 2 against New England, Brady had bad supporting cast and he put up bad numbers too. However, a good qb is the one who works out of it and figures out a way to get it done, again example Brady. Geno needs to get it done next season. He has the arm strength, mobility, poise and looks like he works hard, He need to improve in reading defenses and decision making. 

The draft is not a failure because there are 5 new starters. The real results will come out at the end of 2014 season. Depends on how every one, especially Geno and Dee improves and if Sheldon is able to sustain his level of play.

I agree Geno had no supporting cast. Look at week 2 against New England, Brady had bad supporting cast and he put up bad numbers too. However, a good qb is the one who works out of it and figures out a way to get it done, again example Brady. Geno needs to get it done next season. He has the arm strength, mobility, poise and looks like he works hard, He need to improve in reading defenses and decision making. 

Give it three years.

Just look at the '09 draft.  It looked successful after the '09 season.  In 2010, with Matt Slauson taking over the left guard spot, it looked even more successful.  

In 2011 it proved to be a disaster.

I think David Nelson coming on also provided a solid target for Geno.... and don't forget to add Ivory into that Draft class. Cost us a #4. Idzik parlayed that into " Beast Mode Jr". If the guy can stay on the field and hone his skills as a receiver, he can be a very important piece for us moving forward.

Good job by Idzik in this draft. Solid "B" as things stand now. A+ if Geno and Millner show growth next year

The guy has five catches in hs career, I don't see receiving ever becoming a part of his game, and he seemed to spend a good part of this year nicked up. So those remain a couple big ifs. I was more excited about Mike Goodson last year, and I'm still more excited to see what he can do. You need a RB who can catch in the WCO, even the run-heavy WCO that Mornhinweg likes to run. When Ivory's on the field, it telegraphs a running play. To his credit, he still ran well given the fact that the other team always knew what was coming, but you need a duel threat back there in the starter's role. If the Jets can put together a modern offense, he'll be a nice closer.

Archived