Walter Football 3 Rd. Mock Draft

eboozer

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/2014_nfl_mock_draft/14754128?linksrc=story_sport_nfl_right_head_14754128

1/3 Mock has us taking

#1- Eric Ebron   TE   N.C

#2- Odelle Beckham   WR   LSU

#3- Bishop Sankey  RB   Wash

The 1/1 Mock has us taking

#1 Jace Amaro  TE   Texas Tech

#2-  Davante Adams   WR   Fresno State

#3-  Odelle Beckham  WR  WR  LSU

#4- Ty Zimmerman  S  Kansas State

Thoughts?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like either way, but think Ebron the more dynamic Offensive threat and better safety valve for a young 'learning mode' Geno.

In the 'Jet-way' Idzik keeps preaching I think the tiebreaker between Amaro and Ebron is this scouts comment:

"Amaro went through some off-the-field issues in the past."

I like either way, but think Ebron the more dynamic Offensive threat and better safety valve for a young 'learning mode' Geno.

In the 'Jet-way' Idzik keeps preaching I think the tiebreaker between Amaro and Ebron is this scouts comment:

which of the 2 Safeties do you like better among the 2 scenarios? Not familiar with either, really

I like both!!

It also gets you thinking...for the people who hate the TE in the first round idea. A couple of things....at least as of right now....if Watkins, Lee, and Evans are already gone....the next tier of WRs might be a slight reach....Jets need to draft weapons period...so, IMO, that narrows the pool down TE or RB....so unless maybe Carey, Amaro or Ebron could be the pick.

Taking Ebron over Amaro would be a mistake imo... 62/973/3 vs. 106/1,352/7

260 vs. 240

I would wait for the combine/pro days for exact height and weights but I'm extremely surprised if you put any stock into college weight of a player. Even moreso they're both JRs and have plenty of time to grow into their frames. I would think height, something that can't be changed, would be a more significant metric. So says most sites btw, Amaro is an inch to two inches taller fwiw. 

At their prospective colleges Ebron played the more protypical TE, whereas in line blocking would be a bigger work in progress for Amaro at the NFL level. But Ebron also has an affinity for easy, concentration drops and Amaro has shown to be the more dynamic weapon for his team than Ebron. To be fair, the offense they play in helps dictate that. Still think Amaro will be the better pro. 

I would wait for the combine/pro days for exact height and weights but I'm extremely surprised if you put any stock into college weight of a player. Even moreso they're both JRs and have plenty of time to grow into their frames. I would think height, something that can't be changed, would be a more significant metric. So says most sites btw, Amaro is an inch to two inches taller fwiw. 

At their prospective colleges Ebron played the more protypical TE, whereas in line blocking would be a bigger work in progress for Amaro at the NFL level. But Ebron also has an affinity for easy, concentration drops and Amaro has shown to be the more dynamic weapon for his team than Ebron. To be fair, the offense they play in helps dictate that. Still think Amaro will be the better pro. 

Amaro= Ertz,    Ebron = Whitten. Not looking at performance here, just the type of build/game they possess?

Is that a fair correlation?

Amaro= Ertz,    Ebron = Whitten. Not looking at performance here, just the type of build/game they possess?

I don't think comparisons are ever fair. Sometimes it's fun to do it when a prospect reminds you of another and there's a distinct correlation in size and skill set but the above makes no sense. That said, the comparison is in the eye of the beholder so if it does for you go for it. 

Fwiw, Ertz actually reminds me of Whitten more than Amaro or Ebron. 

I don't know much about college football and automatically assumed the bigger guy was the better blocker.

Ebron = Graham 

North Carolina's Eric Ebron could be NFL's 'next great tight end'
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron could have a major impact on an offense once he gets to the NFL.

In his weekly Scout's Take notebook, former NFL scout Bucky Brooks takes a look at the biggest developments in college football and how the NFL community is reacting to them. Among his topics this week (click on link to take you directly there):

The copycat nature of the NFL has prompted several teams to look for an ultra-athletic pass catcher capable of dominating between the hashes. Savvy offensive coordinators are looking to build a dynamic passing game around the next Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates that enters the league.

Based on the buzz circulating in NFL circles, the next great tight end could be North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound junior is a long, rangy basketball-like athlete with size, speed and agility to overwhelm defenders on the second level. He is simply too fast and explosive for most linebackers to shadow down the seam, but is too big and physical for safeties and nickel corners to hold up in coverage. With such a decided advantage against defenders, Ebron offers offensive coordinators an intriguing option to use to create mismatches in space.

Against Miami (Fla.), Ebron's exceptional talent and potential was on display in an eight-catch, 199-yard performance that showcased his versatile skills as a hybrid tight end. He made plays down the seam on vertical routes, while also gaining separation from defenders on short- and intermediate crossing routes. Additionally, Ebron showed the ability to run away from the defense on "catch-and-run" passes, which makes him a dangerous threat in a passing game that places a premium on getting the ball quickly into the hands of playmakers.

From a blocking standpoint, Ebron is a sticky blocker capable of battling physical defenders on the edges. Although he isn't the nastiest or most physical blocker at the point of attack, Ebron does a decent job of using body position to stay in front of defenders to seal the edges. Now, he still needs to make major strides to thrive as an end-line tight end at the next level, but he is certainly a functional blocker capable of staying on the field as a "move" tight end in open formations.

With Ebron flashing some of the same traits that have made Graham and Gates dominant pass catchers in league where athleticism is valued at the tight end position, the North Carolina standout could emerge as the top tight end in the 2014 or 2015 draft class.

Ebron = Graham 

North Carolina's Eric Ebron could be NFL's 'next great tight end'
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron could have a major impact on an offense once he gets to the NFL.

In his weekly Scout's Take notebook, former NFL scout Bucky Brooks takes a look at the biggest developments in college football and how the NFL community is reacting to them. Among his topics this week (click on link to take you directly there):

The copycat nature of the NFL has prompted several teams to look for an ultra-athletic pass catcher capable of dominating between the hashes. Savvy offensive coordinators are looking to build a dynamic passing game around the next Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates that enters the league.

Based on the buzz circulating in NFL circles, the next great tight end could be North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound junior is a long, rangy basketball-like athlete with size, speed and agility to overwhelm defenders on the second level. He is simply too fast and explosive for most linebackers to shadow down the seam, but is too big and physical for safeties and nickel corners to hold up in coverage. With such a decided advantage against defenders, Ebron offers offensive coordinators an intriguing option to use to create mismatches in space.

Against Miami (Fla.), Ebron's exceptional talent and potential was on display in an eight-catch, 199-yard performance that showcased his versatile skills as a hybrid tight end. He made plays down the seam on vertical routes, while also gaining separation from defenders on short- and intermediate crossing routes. Additionally, Ebron showed the ability to run away from the defense on "catch-and-run" passes, which makes him a dangerous threat in a passing game that places a premium on getting the ball quickly into the hands of playmakers.

From a blocking standpoint, Ebron is a sticky blocker capable of battling physical defenders on the edges. Although he isn't the nastiest or most physical blocker at the point of attack, Ebron does a decent job of using body position to stay in front of defenders to seal the edges. Now, he still needs to make major strides to thrive as an end-line tight end at the next level, but he is certainly a functional blocker capable of staying on the field as a "move" tight end in open formations.

With Ebron flashing some of the same traits that have made Graham and Gates dominant pass catchers in league where athleticism is valued at the tight end position, the North Carolina standout could emerge as the top tight end in the 2014 or 2015 draft class.

I love Bucky Brooks. He's one of my favorites!

I think you go to the NBA D league and find a 6'7" 245 lb power forward whose career is ending and teach him how to cover TE's.  anyone who can move well enough to play in the D league can cover a seam rte or an out rte

The Jets would draft a tight end in a year where they were one of the worst offenses in the NFL and have a dozen draft picks.

I love me a good TE, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I get about taking one in the first round this year. I don't know why. 

Have to see what they do in free agency, and what comp picks they wind up getting. I've just about talked myself into trading up for one of the top three WRs, though. With the money they'll have to spend, they may not want to take a dozen players in the draft - only to cut them, or try to store them on the practice squad. 

I love me a good TE, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I get about taking one in the first round this year. I don't know why. 

johnny Mitchell ?  kyle brady ?

modern offenses have 2 legit TE's.  the just have 0.  it's a real need

Have to see what they do in free agency, and what comp picks they wind up getting. I've just about talked myself into trading up for one of the top three WRs, though. With the money they'll have to spend, they may not want to take a dozen players in the draft - only to cut them, or try to store them on the practice squad. 

I would not be opposed to parlaying some of these picks into higher picks next season. Tough to keep all these picks. Pull a Pats/49ers and move some of these 5th and 6th rounders for a 4th and 5th next year. We do have the comp picks to fall back on in the later rounds. All dependent on whether you can deal with someone.

johnny Mitchell ?  kyle brady ?

modern offenses have 2 legit TE's.  the just have 0.  it's a real need

I loved Johnny Mitchell. It's such a shame he was a headcase. Guy would've been one of the all-time greats. 

I think it's looking at this year's free agents, and seeing Brandon Pettigrew there, and reading what a disappointment he's been in Detroit - and remembering how much I liked him in the 2009 draft. I don't know if it's a position I'd target in the first round. Like OG, it's a position that devalued in the NFL, too. 

Ebron looks the part, but can't catch. 

Amaro is the TE equivalent of Jamarcus Russell. 

We need a playmaker with our first pick, offense or defense, not a plodding TE (who doesn't even block that well, BTW) or an athletic YAC guy who can't catch (we have those on the roster already). 

Archived