Walter Football 3 Rd. Mock Draft

eboozer

I loved Johnny Mitchell. It's such a shame he was a headcase. Guy would've been one of the all-time greats. 

I think it's looking at this year's free agents, and seeing Brandon Pettigrew there, and reading what a disappointment he's been in Detroit - and remembering how much I liked him in the 2009 draft. I don't know if it's a position I'd target in the first round. Like OG, it's a position that devalued in the NFL, too. 

mitchell could throw a 50 yard spiral from his knees.  with either hand !! 

lol

unreal physical talent. 

just look at the offenses still left, they all have good TE's.  I've read on this board they are impossible to cover, so I think we should get one

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mitchell could throw a 50 yard spiral from his knees.  with either hand !! 

lol

unreal physical talent. 

just look at the offenses still left, they all have good TE's.  I've read on this board they are impossible to cover, so I think we should get one

The NFL produced 24 1000 yard receivers this season, one of them was a TE. Next guy on the list was Cleveland's Jordan Cameron with 917 yards. A TE only needed 760 yards to be top ten at the position this year. It's easy to see why WR is one of the most expensive positions in free agency, and TE is one of the cheapest. 

I'd love to get one of those mismatch TEs, I'm just not so sure I'd target one in round one. 

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/2014_nfl_mock_draft/14754128?linksrc=story_sport_nfl_right_head_14754128

1/3 Mock has us taking

#1- Eric Ebron TE N.C

#2- Odelle Beckham WR LSU

#3- Bishop Sankey RB Wash

The 1/1 Mock has us taking

#1 Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech

#2- Davante Adams WR Fresno State

#3- Odelle Beckham WR WR LSU

#4- Ty Zimmerman S Kansas State

Thoughts?

Definitely the second one. I like Amaro more, don't think we should draft a RB early and I'd get to wear a Zimmerman jersey in S Florida

Ebron looks the part, but can't catch. 

Amaro is the TE equivalent of Jamarcus Russell. 

We need a playmaker with our first pick, offense or defense, not a plodding TE (who doesn't even block that well, BTW) or an athletic YAC guy who can't catch (we have those on the roster already). 

thats silly, cant catch, LOL

both good but to say cant catch is , well, silly. Does he drop some, ya, but 'cant catch'.. and plodding, he is 6'4, 245 runs a 4.5

I loved Johnny Mitchell. It's such a shame he was a headcase. Guy would've been one of the all-time greats. 

I think it's looking at this year's free agents, and seeing Brandon Pettigrew there, and reading what a disappointment he's been in Detroit - and remembering how much I liked him in the 2009 draft. I don't know if it's a position I'd target in the first round. Like OG, it's a position that devalued in the NFL, too. 

Agreed it's a tricky position. The last cant miss stud TE that went super early was Vernon Davis. And it even took him a while for it to click.

im going on record today Jan 5 the Jets are not taking a TE at 18. all of these mocks are wrong.

Amero, sorry, i don't even see as a solid first round grade. At best, he's on the cusp like Keller. Assuming he runs wild at Indy, which he probably won't. 

Ebron running a 4.65 or whatever at 245 is interesting and he has Eifert like value but he's not super rare. if he was twenty pounds heavier and still ran like that it would be a gronk like mismatch but even gronk didn't go rd 1. 

Idzik wants 5 star athletes in rd 1 both milliner and richardson were rare human beings. 4.3 CB and a 4.9 DT. That's rare. if ebron runs a 4.5 maybe he's in that rare zone. I don't know if that's likely. 

Also I don't know who exactly they are gonna take but neither of these prospects are Vernon Davis. And they probably aren't Jeremy Shockey either. The Jets need weaponz and all but they aren't going TE in mid 1. Historically that's been an awful pick for this franchise btw.

JMO DB is just as bad if not a worse need than WR. they are probably gonna get a WR in FA i don't know what kind of man to man corner they get to replace Cro in free agency. the weaponz in rd 2 and rd 3 are pretty good too they aren't gonna force the pick. If it's a pass rusher or CB don't freak out everyone. 

thats silly, cant catch, LOL

both good but to say cant catch is , well, silly. Does he drop some, ya, but 'cant catch'.. and plodding, he is 6'4, 245 runs a 4.5

You obviously catch more UNC games than I do, but whenever I've been able to watch them play I would focus on Ebron.  For as many targets as he gets (being the offensive focal point, and second leading receiver on the team), he sure didn't bring in many of them.  I see him body catch, double-catch, alligator arm, and jump to make catches when jumping is unnecessary.  The telling statistic is 3 TDs, for the year.  If he's a YAC ace, why isn't he finding pay-dirt more often?  It's certainly not a lack of opportunity.  

For guys watching his Youtube clips, yeah, the kid looks amazing.  But he still gets caught from behind an awful lot.  Curious, eh?

My guess is small hands...and when he starts playing on Sunday with the big boy's ball, his small hands will become more apparent.  Stay away.

The "plodding" comment was solely for Amaro.  Ebron looks the part, and moves really well...literally a slightly taller Dustin Keller.  I just don't like his consistency, which is something I would like to get from the #18 pick.   

I love me a good TE, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I get about taking one in the first round this year. I don't know why.

Have to see what they do in free agency, and what comp picks they wind up getting. I've just about talked myself into trading up for one of the top three WRs, though. With the money they'll have to spend, they may not want to take a dozen players in the draft - only to cut them, or try to store them on the practice squad.

I gotta be honest. I had a very busy fall and barely caught pro football this year let alone college. But I am with you, to take a TE this year would be incredibly SOJ. I understand people are saying great teams are going after these guys and the may be gone by the time we pick- I'm glad that's the case. Save us from ourselves. Steelers for example have great wide receivers and a great QB. We don't have the luxury to not pick the best playmaker we can right now.

:face:

Should we just extend this logic to every receiving position, genius facepalmer?

Oh, I see, you took it at face value and thought I meant that Geno was better than Kaepernick. My bad.

Hey look, Madison NJ is saying that we should go defense again because we don't have Colin Kaepernick! Yeah you know Kaepernick, the guy that threw for 3,000 yards!

Amaro isnt a plodder....he's just big. He makes those subtle moves to get open. You could call Gronk a plodder if you wanted to.

this thread seems to believe Ebron is bigger than Amero, the opposite might be true. this is why they make prospects weigh in... until we get height/weight/speed these names need to be written in pencil. It's possible neither of these guys are true first rounders, as Gronk wasn't a first rounder. Or they could be mild first rounders like Brandon Pettigrew. 

this thread seems to believe Ebron is bigger than Amero, the opposite might be true. this is why they make prospects weigh in... until we get height/weight/speed these names need to be written in pencil. It's possible neither of these guys are true first rounders, as Gronk wasn't a first rounder. Or they could be mild first rounders like Brandon Pettigrew. 

agreed too early to tell

I love me a good TE, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I get about taking one in the first round this year. I don't know why..

Probably because it's the lowest paying position in football, which, I believe, in your opinion, means it's the least important..

When youre that big, sure. No one's Jimmy Graham. He's a freak that's probably going to go down as the best ever.

Graham is good because he gets separation, and catches everything.  Ebron can get separation, and Amaro can catch everything.  If either could do both I'd be on board drafting one in the second round.  Definitely not in the first.  

Graham is good because he gets separation, and catches everything.  Ebron can get separation, and Amaro can catch everything.  If either could do both I'd be on board drafting one in the second round.  Definitely not in the first.  

So put them both together you have a bonifide second rounder. Apart they are...

Why does the guy who, by far, knows more about the draft than anyone else on this board keep referring to Gronk as not even good enough to go first round when you know it was due to health issues. Production wise nobody touches Amaro.

You want to go James Casey or give all the credit to scheme fine, but he's probably at least an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier than Ebron and he catches everything. Pending on how he runs combine/pro day will determine if he's going in the first round. Not knowing his metrics yet, he's as good as anyone on tape. Even in games he doesn't look as good in like vs Oklahoma he still had 8 for 120. Might be a liability blocking but when's the last time the Jets ha a TE who could block? Chris Baker?

I like WalterFootball because they have the guts to make definitive statements about prospects before Kiper and Mayock release the bulk of their work. Most sites meekly throw out generalizations in drips and drabs until the big, connected guys release their evaluations, then they all-of-a-sudden get really bold.

You obviously catch more UNC games than I do, but whenever I've been able to watch them play I would focus on Ebron.  For as many targets as he gets (being the offensive focal point, and second leading receiver on the team), he sure didn't bring in many of them.  I see him body catch, double-catch, alligator arm, and jump to make catches when jumping is unnecessary.  The telling statistic is 3 TDs, for the year.  If he's a YAC ace, why isn't he finding pay-dirt more often?  It's certainly not a lack of opportunity.  

For guys watching his Youtube clips, yeah, the kid looks amazing.  But he still gets caught from behind an awful lot.  Curious, eh?

My guess is small hands...and when he starts playing on Sunday with the big boy's ball, his small hands will become more apparent.  Stay away.

The "plodding" comment was solely for Amaro.  Ebron looks the part, and moves really well...literally a slightly taller Dustin Keller.  I just don't like his consistency, which is something I would like to get from the #18 pick.   

again, your comments are way off, but we can agree to disagree

I would wait for the combine/pro days for exact height and weights but I'm extremely surprised if you put any stock into college weight of a player. Even moreso they're both JRs and have plenty of time to grow into their frames. I would think height, something that can't be changed, would be a more significant metric. So says most sites btw, Amaro is an inch to two inches taller fwiw. 

At their prospective colleges Ebron played the more protypical TE, whereas in line blocking would be a bigger work in progress for Amaro at the NFL level. But Ebron also has an affinity for easy, concentration drops and Amaro has shown to be the more dynamic weapon for his team than Ebron. To be fair, the offense they play in helps dictate that. Still think Amaro will be the better pro.

Neither are 3 down pro ready, I'll take ASJ over both, he is a 3 down TE, and the 2nd best Red Zone target in this draft behind Evans. Like it, or not the Jets are going to run the ball, and when they are winning games they will run it even more, and ASJ fits that offense, the other 2 would probably relegated to throwing down TE's their first 2 years, a team that has an air it out hurry up/no huddle offense would make the other 2 better options, it's really more, or less offense scheme specific when deciding between ASJ, Amaro, and Ebron, all 3 are rated as of now 1A, 1B, and 1C.

I also stated in another thread I think the Jets should just punt the idea of taking a TE in the top 4 rounds, and gamble a pick on Colt Lyera, he got slap on the wrist for his coke sniffing, and got sentenced to 10 days in jail, and another 10 days suspended, and has been granted permission to leave the state so he can attend one of those scouting combine preparing academies, he was rated just as high as these 4 guys talent wise before going all Tony Montana!

Neither are 3 down pro ready, I'll take ASJ over both, he is a 3 down TE, and the 2nd best Red Zone target in this draft behind Evans. Like it, or not the Jets are going to run the ball, and when they are winning games they will run it even more, and ASJ fits that offense, the other 2 would probably relegated to throwing down TE's their first 2 years, a team that has an air it out hurry up/no huddle offense would make the other 2 better options, it's really more, or less offense scheme specific when deciding between ASJ, Amaro, and Ebron, all 3 are rated as of now 1A, 1B, and 1C.

I also stated in another thread I think the Jets should just punt the idea of taking a TE in the top 4 rounds, and gamble a pick on Colt Lyera, he got slap on the wrist for his coke sniffing, and got sentenced to 10 days in jail, and another 10 days suspended, and has been granted permission to leave the state so he can attend one of those scouting combine preparing academies, he was rated just as high as these 4 guys talent wise before going all Tony Montana!

He's probably the best all around TE. Like, I feel like if Parcells was picking out of the 3 he's taking ASJ. He's less of a potential game changer though.

im going on record today Jan 5 the Jets are not taking a TE at 18. all of these mocks are wrong.

Amero, sorry, i don't even see as a solid first round grade. At best, he's on the cusp like Keller. Assuming he runs wild at Indy, which he probably won't. 

Ebron running a 4.65 or whatever at 245 is interesting and he has Eifert like value but he's not super rare. if he was twenty pounds heavier and still ran like that it would be a gronk like mismatch but even gronk didn't go rd 1. 

Idzik wants 5 star athletes in rd 1 both milliner and richardson were rare human beings. 4.3 CB and a 4.9 DT. That's rare. if ebron runs a 4.5 maybe he's in that rare zone. I don't know if that's likely. 

Also I don't know who exactly they are gonna take but neither of these prospects are Vernon Davis. And they probably aren't Jeremy Shockey either. The Jets need weaponz and all but they aren't going TE in mid 1. Historically that's been an awful pick for this franchise btw.

JMO DB is just as bad if not a worse need than WR. they are probably gonna get a WR in FA i don't know what kind of man to man corner they get to replace Cro in free agency. the weaponz in rd 2 and rd 3 are pretty good too they aren't gonna force the pick. If it's a pass rusher or CB don't freak out everyone.

I agree with all of this, I can see the pick being OLB Shazier from Ohio St if he declares, or HA HA CD if he falls, and CB Justin Gilbert is another rare type of human who could be the BAP if he some how smacks a baby, and falls to 18. Then there is the 5, or so DE/OLB prospects that will blow up the combine that could come into play like the Clemson kid Beasly I think.

I like WalterFootball because they have the guts to make definitive statements about prospects before Kiper and Mayock release the bulk of their work. Most sites meekly throw out generalizations in drips and drabs until the big, connected guys release their evaluations, then they all-of-a-sudden get really bold.

Charlie yes, Walter no.

Archived