Five Issues Facing the Jets

flgreen

Five things the NY Jets can do to fix the mess of 2013 With the question of Rex Ryan’s fate behind him, John Idzik has to figure out how to turn the current Jets — who look like a sub-.500 team on paper — into a winner with the current financial flexibility he has at his disposal.

BY SETH WALDER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SATURDAY, JANUARY 4, 2014, 9:28 PM

450275977.jpg TOM SZCZERBOWSKI/GETTY IMAGES  

Geno Smith doesn't earn enough trust to warrant having the starting job handed to him in training camp.

•  
inform.jpg

The Jets announced one of their biggest offseason decisions just moments after their 2013 season was officially in the books. By bringing back Rex Ryan, owner Woody Johnson and GM John Idzik made a popular move with their players and their fans, and maintained some consistent leadership.

But with the question of Ryan’s fate behind him, Idzik has to figure out how to turn the current Jets — who look like a sub-.500 team on paper — into a winner with the current financial flexibility he has at his disposal. Because while he may have cap room and draft picks available to him, Idzik has more than his fair share of holes to fill. Let’s look at the big decisions facing Gang Green’s GM this offseason:

1. WHAT'S THE PLAN AT QUARTERBACK?

How much trust did Geno Smith earn by improving his play at the end of the season? Not enough to warrant having the starting job handed to him in training camp, in all likelihood. GM John Idzik was as blunt as he ever is about Gang Green’s plans when it comes to signal-callers this offseason when he said in his season-ending press conference, “We’ll look at quarterbacks, yes we’ll look at quarterbacks.”

That could mean looking at veteran options to compete with Smith. It could mean a first-round draft choice that would ultimately supplant him.

Either way, expect a QB competition in training camp, one that doesn’t involve Mark Sanchez. Given his injury last season, his regression before that, and his bloated contract, Sanchez is all but out the door in Florham Park.

2. WHERE ARE THE WEAPONS?

The Jets may have had the worst receiving corps in the league last season. That’s a problem for any quarterback, let alone a second-round rookie.

“There will be an emphasis there,” Idzik said when asked about his skill positions, before adding, “but there will be an emphasis on improving every single position.”

It doesn’t take a GM’s mind to see that wide receivers and tight ends have to be a priority.

Santonio Holmes is a virtual lock to be cut. Stephen Hill can’t be counted on realistically as a major option. Jeremy Kerley is a solid slot receiver but not a game-changer.

The Jets didn’t do enough when it came to the receiver position last offseason and it came back to haunt them. Don’t expect them to make the same mistake twice.

jets-camp.jpg ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS It’s possible Antonio Cromartie has played his last game as a Jet.

3. WHAT IS ANTONIO CROMARTIE’S FUTURE?

It’s possible Cromartie has played his last game as a Jet. He could be a salary-cap casualty this offseason, and the Jets may just decide to start fresh with Dee Milliner and a new cornerback opposite him. They may decide, however, that 2013 and not 2012 was the aberration in Cromartie’s performance, and that his aching hip was the cause for his subpar performance. In that case, expect either a restructuring or extension of Cromartie’s contract, because the Jets won’t be entirely responsible for the $14.98 million cap number his contract currently holds for next season, according to overthecap.com.

4. WHAT HAPPENS AT GUARD?

The Jets have issues at both guard positions: Willie Colon, who was mediocre at right guard, is a free agent, and tore his biceps at the end of the year. Brian Winters was completely underwhelming in his rookie season. Gang Green will probably need to bring in two new guards via free agency or the draft: one to replace Colon and one as a safeguard in case Winters continues to scuffle.

5. WHICH FREE AGENTS TO BRING BACK?

Among members of the 2013 Jets who will be free agents, right tackle Austin Howard will likely be the team’s top priority. Howard has developed into a nice offensive lineman, and good tackles are hard to find.

Nick Folk has played on four straight one-year deals with the Jets, and after his career-best performance this season, he could receive his first multi-year deal with Gang Green. If he doesn’t get one, he might end up elsewhere. Calvin Pace could be back after his first double-digit sack season. Josh Cribbs proved useful in his brief time as a Jet, and could come back as a return man.

Five Potential Targets in Free Agency

John Idzik didn’t make a big splash in free agency in his first offseason, but that could easily change this time around. Even if the Jets extend Muhammad Wilkerson, which seems likely, Idzik should have plenty of money to work with. That could mean a big name signing on with Gang Green.

QB Chad Henne

If the Jets are looking for a game manager who can complement Gang Green’s defense in case Smith implodes, Henne could be an option.

QB Josh McCown

He impressed with Chicago this season, but Jay Cutler is the QB permanently there. McCown will get paid well (for a backup), and the Jets have money to spend.

QB Michael Vick

Vick could reunite with his old offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, if he came to the Jets.

WR Hakeem Nicks

Could Nicks switch locker rooms at MetLife and join the Jets? Anything is possible for the right price. If other teams are scared off by Nicks’ performance this season, perhaps the Jets could see him as a value.

WR Jeremy Maclin

He’s the top free agent wideout on the market, but he tore his ACL last summer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/gang-green-fix-mess-2013-article-1.1566569#ixzz2pXQnQe7P

Article lost me at "fix the mess of 2013" to be honest.

2012 = mess.

2011 = mess.

2013 went better than most expected, and saw one of the NFL's youngest rosters get more minutes for their rookies than any team in the league.

8 wins is impressive, all things considered.

Article lost me again at Chad Henne, Hakeem Nicks, Mike Vick.

None of those guys aligns with the "build from within, build through the draft" approach Idzik has preached. All of them have managed to do one thing consistently in their careers... and that is underwhelm. 

None of those guys aligns with the "build from within, build through the draft" approach Idzik has preached. All of them have managed to do one thing consistently in their careers... and that is underwhelm. 

Not that I like any of those options, but they have to bring in someone to seriously  compete with Smith.  There isn't much out there.    I hate to think the unthinkable.  Sanchez

Not that I like any of those options, but they have to bring in someone to seriously  compete with Smith.  There isn't much out there.    I hate to think the unthinkable.  Sanchez

I agree. I just think there'll be more options than we realize right now. 

I wouldn't be upset by Henne at all.  I actually think it would be a good idea.

Look, anyone at QB who isn't Geno Smith or a 1st round pick this year is a bad thing.    No one, not Vick, not Henne, not Campbell, not Juan Fútbol, starting is good for the franchise, but we need someone who simply can play if necessary.  At least Henne will come cheap and has solid starting experience.

2012 = mess.

2011 = mess.

2013 went better than most expected, and saw one of the NFL's youngest rosters get more minutes for their rookies than any team in the league.

Did you happen to notice the scoring differential. WORST in the history of a ".500" team, that is a .500 team if you count the 2 gifts from TB and NE.

Dont be blinded, 2013 was a complete mess, and unless they bring in Vick or McCown, or draft Manziel, then good luck in 2014 with Smith pulling the trigger.

Did you see the dudes slinging it yesterday? That was impressive.

Did you happen to notice the scoring differential. WORST in the history of a ".500" team, that is a .500 team if you count the 2 gifts from TB and NE.

Dont be blinded, 2013 was a complete mess, and unless they bring in Vick or McCown, or draft Manziel, then good luck in 2014 with Smith pulling the trigger.

LOL shut up already.

Yeah, I don't know why the NFL counts wins and losses, they should just let them all play 64 quarters versus 13 different teams and add up the points at the end of the year.

So 5 days ago the Daily News was acting like we just won the super bowl, now they're calling 2013 a "mess".....gotta love the NY media.

Indeed. Earlier this week Manish Mehta wasnted to give Wrecks a 5 year extension and have Geno's baby.

The problem is #1. This offense is pathetic because the QB sucks, and 2 okay games against some crappy teams was lipstick on a pig.

Yeah, I don't know why the NFL counts wins and losses, they should just let them all play 64 quarters versus 13 different teams and add up the points at the end of the year.

Interesting Idea. If they did, I beleive the Jets would be drafting 3rd, and definitely be able to get that QB they so desperately need.

2012 = mess.

2011 = mess.

You've bought in to Le Narrative Grande.

I know Kerley is not a "game changer" but look at Geno without him and I think there's a definite difference, or in  non-journalist (experts/sensationalists/wordsmiths) terms, a "change".

Imagine if there was a legitimate receiver on the outside? Kerley might be even better than we think.

Look, anyone at QB who isn't Geno Smith or a 1st round pick this year is a bad thing.    No one, not Vick, not Henne, not Campbell, not Juan Fútbol, starting is good for the franchise, but we need someone who simply can play if necessary.  At least Henne will come cheap and has solid starting experience.

I agree. Not the worst option at all. 

Matt Simms. The Jets bigger concern are targets. 

No history. And his limited opportunities have been unimpressive. Need better.

Matt Simms should be the # 3 guy this year (and inactive on game day).  Great story, strong arm.  That is the kind of guy you try to develop for a year or two down the road.  You need a veteran backup behind a kid like Smith.  A veteran that is actually healthy enough to play and not just practice when he feels like it.

No history. And his limited opportunities have been unimpressive. Need better.

Thats the problem, whats better right now at QB? Im not saying that we dont need better, but I feel like we can make the team better from the targets provided than the back-up that may never even see the field. 

Remember, Simms was throwing to the same Kerley-less targets in that Dolphin game when Geno was benched. Its just hard for me to feel that our QB situation is that critical when we had the absolute worst offensive weapons in the league by far. Look at McCown for the Bears for example, I've never heard a jet fan even speak about Josh McCown, yet put him with Brandon Marshall and the "should have been Jet" Alshon Jeffery and what happens? 

Get the QB some targets who can make plays for the QB and watch a guy like Matt Simms be a topic of conversation for other teams looking for back-ups just like McCown this year. 

Matt Simms should be the # 3 guy this year (and inactive on game day).  Great story, strong arm.  That is the kind of guy you try to develop for a year or two down the road.  You need a veteran backup behind a kid like Smith.  A veteran that is actually healthy enough to play and not just practice when he feels like it.

I hope Matt Simms is no better than the #4 QB entering training camp next season. 

You really want them to bring back McElroy so he can beat him out again?   :)

I want a veteran with starting experience, and a mid-round rookie. Both, I think, would enter camp ahead of Simms. If he can win a roster spot from there, good for him!

m

I want a veteran with starting experience, and a mid-round rookie. Both, I think, would enter camp ahead of Simms. If he can win a roster spot from there, good for him!

A mid round rookie is basically exactly like Matt Simms. And no way any such rookie is gonna have an arm like that nor have been in your system for a season already.

Why on earth would we sign Henne or McCown? Michael Vick, maybe, if he doesn't ask for too much. Hakeem Nicks is done. The only guy on the free agent list that I would want is Maclin, depending on his asking price and how we'll the rehab on his knee is going.

Also, believe it not, I don't think the QB position is the top priority, the WRs are. Seriously, Johnny Unitas in his prime probably wouldn't have done better than 8-8 with the Jets WRs this past season. Smith can definitely scramble, and has shown that he can throw the ball downfield with some accuracy and velocity. He's definitely earned a chance to compete for the starting spot.

The NE game was not a gift. Don't know many times this needs to be said around here. The game would not have gone to OT if it weren't for an absolutely ridiculous PI penalty against the Jets.

I am aggravated and tired of hearing the samething every year...

How can you really be jet fans and year in and year out complain about QB play and disregard the fact that  I can find better receivers in high-school games.

Really you cant name any QB that doesn't have at lease 1 all pro receiver or a top tier Rb that wins. 

you probably will reply Brady but at lease his team do their jobs when its time to.

Brett Favre, Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning in his rookie season, and Joe Namath threw interceptions.

They happen but they make up for it. 

I hope we draft TE and WR early and sign a vet WR and QB but Geno can do it he just needs the weapons to win with.

I am aggravated and tired of hearing the samething every year...

How can you really be jet fans and year in and year out complain about QB play and disregard the fact that  I can find better receivers in high-school games.

Really you cant name any QB that doesn't have at lease 1 all pro receiver or a top tier Rb that wins. 

Well, by definition, it would be impossible for every QB to have at least one of those. There are 32 teams in the league. There aren't 32 all pro receivers and top tier running backs combined, unless your top tier of running backs has like 22+ guys in it.

But your point is taken and I agree.

no weapons, blah blah blah. bring in a vet to camp and see what he does with the same offense against the same defense as geno and may the best man win.

Thank you, but the prevailing thoughts on this board are and I quote:

"Johnny Unitas in his prime couldnt win with these weapons"

" Most DIII schools have better weapons than the Jets"

" Most of our weapons came from the Heampstead Dunkin Donuts"

Andy Dalton showed what an awful QB can do, even with pro-bowlers as weapons. If the guy slinging it sucks, it just doesnt matter who's running a 4.3, and vertical leaping 48.

Archived